PDA

View Full Version : northbound on the colorado trail??

crl2010
02-03-2010, 18:45
when is the best time to leave for a noth bound hike??

MarcnNJ
02-03-2010, 19:26
As soon as you can get through the San Juans, depending on snow levels each year. Southern Colorado is getting hit pretty hard this year with snow, so I would guess late June-early July.

Low Impact
02-03-2010, 19:34
I agree 100%. Start about late June, early July - depending on the snow pack in the San Juans.

That being said - Sobo (in my humble opinion) is the way to go.

Heading south from Denver will give you an opportunity to work your way into the higher elevations (if that matters to you, which it did for me) and you'll finish in a much prettier part of Colorado.

Either way, the CT is BOSS. Super sweet hike.

Enjoy! :D

Chaco Taco
02-04-2010, 17:21
I agree 100%. Start about late June, early July - depending on the snow pack in the San Juans.

Heading south from Denver will give you an opportunity to work your way into the higher elevations (if that matters to you, which it did for me) and you'll finish in a much prettier part of Colorado.

Im effin pumped about our hike this summer on the CT!!!!

ChrisFol
02-06-2010, 03:39

I agree, Southbound is the only way to go-- who wants to travel 485 miles and finish in Waterton Canyon!