PDA

View Full Version : weather on the arizona trail???

crl2010
02-03-2010, 18:51
whats the weather on the arizona trail like right know?? and when is a good date to start a thru hike??

yappy
02-06-2010, 21:48
we started march 5th last year and had amazing weather.... sunny and warm

garlic08
02-06-2010, 23:37
I just spent the day at the AZT Association meeting in Oracle, with a nice view of the north side of Mt Lemmon and the Oracle Ridge trail (part of the AZT). Completely covered with snow, it would be a real struggle right now. More snow coming into the high country as I write this. Looks like an awesome year for snow pack, which means very few water problems this year for hikers.

March and early April are good months for NOBO. May starts getting really hot and dry.

There are a few Snotel sites in NO AZ. You can look at snow data online. Flagstaff got hammered with a historic storm a couple weeks ago.

fiddlehead
02-07-2010, 02:10
From what i understand, there are high elevation snow problems at either end for an early start.
I have a friend who tried a NOBO start as late as April before (about 12 years ago) and couldn't get through the first 20 miles!
AZ has been getting hit with rain and snow the past 2 weeks (i have friends who just came out of the Superstitions)
For sure it will help their drought problem and help the water situation. But i believe it will also push back an early start.
Good luck.

Maddog
02-07-2010, 05:01
it varies!:rolleyes:

yappy
02-07-2010, 11:15
We did see a bit of snow our first day but after that.... it was the heat that got me being from Fairbanks. The sun was grueling at times. They have had a ton of snow is places this year for sure so it could well be different. Our starting date was actually the 11th I think.

Shutterbug
02-07-2010, 21:48
whats the weather on the arizona trail like right know?? and when is a good date to start a thru hike??

I was in the Santa Rita Mountains (southern end of the trail) last week. Snow was knee deep, but not impassable.

Hightrailer
02-09-2010, 01:27
IMO I'd wait until late April or May and start from the southern end. It'll be warm down there for some parts but still cold and snow packed up north with some snow and cold in higher elevations on the south end.

We have 19 feet of snow so far up here on the San Fran peaks portion of the trail with more coming. And that's a section you wouldn't want to skip. The lower elevations in N AZ have received about 8 feet total so far with 2-3 of packed snow remaining which will be around for a while.