PDA

View Full Version : davenport gap...mail drop

bondboy
09-21-2004, 15:17
will be sobo and looking for a postal mail drop close to davenport gap....(equipment)....prefer Post Office to hostel. Any Ideas?

MOWGLI
09-21-2004, 15:29
will be sobo and looking for a postal mail drop close to davenport gap....(equipment)....prefer Post Office to hostel. Any Ideas?

There is no Post Office at Davenport Gap. If you are hiking SOBO, you should have zero problems getting from Hot Springs to Fontana Dam with your supplies. If (for some reason) you don't want to carry food for 100 miles, you could send a drop to Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg is tourist hell however. You get to Gatlinburg by hitching from Newfound Gap.

MOWGLI
09-21-2004, 16:35

Sorry Bondboy - I misread. If you are sending equipment in prep for the Smokies - Hot Springs will have to do. There isn't really anything between Hot Springs & Gatlinburg.

Peaks
09-21-2004, 16:46
I thought the only thing close to Davenport Gap was Mountain Moma's.

Now, if someone is going SOBO and want's to mail drop prior to the Smokies, what about Standing Bear Hostel?

A-Train
09-21-2004, 17:04
Send a drop to Standing Bear Farm hostel, 2 miles north of Davenport. One of the best hostels on the Trail run by some great folks. They have some resupply, enough maybe to get you to Fontana, def to Gatlinburg. They accept drops

smokymtnsteve
09-21-2004, 17:05
Standing Bear is the best between Hot Springs and Davenport..I would call ahead and make sure curtis is at home.

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/