PDA

View Full Version : blueberry patches in pa

crl2010
02-03-2010, 19:11
keep you eyes open in pa cause you may just walk past some nice blueberry patches

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 19:26
I did last weekend but they still seemed a long way off.:rolleyes:

Tinker
02-03-2010, 19:32
Just don't eat them in the vicinity of the Palmer Superfund site (zinc contamination). I learned about this in the book The Beaten Path by Robert Alden Rubin.

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 19:37
Just don't eat them in the vicinity of the Palmer Superfund site (zinc contamination). I learned about this in the book The Beaten Path by Robert Alden Rubin.

Unless you happen to need to up your Zinc levels?:D

Tinker
02-03-2010, 19:51
:rolleyes:

10-K
02-03-2010, 20:06

I ate a boatload of them walking over the superfund site. Blackberries too....

Cookerhiker
02-03-2010, 20:22
In PA but not the AT: saw (and ate) lots of blueberries on the Black Forest Trail. The surprising part, for me at least, was its occurrence in early October.

Tinker
02-03-2010, 20:25
I ate a boatload of them walking over the superfund site. Blackberries too....

And you're still alive? Amazing!
I'm just notifying folks who aren't superhuman. :rolleyes::)

10-K
02-03-2010, 20:28
And you're still alive? Amazing!
I'm just notifying folks who aren't superhuman. :rolleyes::)

I'm not saying it didn't affect me - I did buy a hammock after all...

Tinker
02-03-2010, 20:41
:-?:D It's definitely affected your judgement! :)

10-K
02-03-2010, 20:45
:-?:D It's definitely affected your judgement! :)

(Don't tell anybody but I bought Powder River's Hennessy Hyperlite for my wife today.. )

sasquatch2014
02-03-2010, 21:30
(Don't tell anybody but I bought Powder River's Hennessy Hyperlite for my wife today.. )

How sweet a parting gift from the soon to be departed. They say it takes a while for all the zinc to shut down your organs. make sure to give all your money away before the government gets it through inheritance taxes. I'll PM you my address. It will be safe with me.

Wise Old Owl
02-03-2010, 23:59
Blueberrys, Huckleberry, Rasberry.... All here spring to fall in PA .. Now get out & hike!

Huckle is less sweet and very good.

http://www.cals.uidaho.edu/sandpoint/images/Mountain%20Huckleberry%20(Vaccinium%20membranaceum ).jpg

10-K
02-04-2010, 14:12
How sweet a parting gift from the soon to be departed. They say it takes a while for all the zinc to shut down your organs. make sure to give all your money away before the government gets it through inheritance taxes. I'll PM you my address. It will be safe with me.

I did think I was tripping for a minute when I saw that big pile of rocks that I had to climb down to get to Palmerton.....

Then I realized it was just central receiving for the PA Rock Dept. :)

tiptoe
02-04-2010, 14:16
I always stop for berries; it's a great excuse to take a break, and it reminds me of home, where I pick them pretty much nonstop from June 'til fall.

Speer Carrier
02-04-2010, 14:20
I always leave the berries for the animals that normally eat them. I don't consider myself a tree hugger or a big supporter of PITA, but I always feel like I can buy whatever I need to eat, and the animals can't. Am I just going overboard?

tiptoe
02-04-2010, 15:20
I think there are plenty of wild berries for all creatures, human and otherwise. You'll probably browse right by the trail; wildlife will nibble anywhere.

emerald
02-04-2010, 15:44
I think there are plenty of wild berries for all creatures, human and otherwise.

Maybe, maybe not, but in Pennsylvania those responsible for deciding such things generally think its okay to pick fruits and berries for immediate personal consumption.

You'll probably browse right by the trail; wildlife will nibble anywhere.

Given enough nibbling by hikers, wildlife one might wish to see by the trail will need to do their nibbling somewhere else.

Old Hiker
02-04-2010, 15:49

Plus - you see invisible fences.

Johnny Appleseed
02-05-2010, 13:45
I ate tons of berries and one cluster was the biggest I have ever seen. About 5 minutes of hiking later came the zinc site. Hope I was not as close as I fear I was.

sasquatch2014
02-05-2010, 14:14
I always leave the berries for the animals that normally eat them. I don't consider myself a tree hugger or a big supporter of PITA, but I always feel like I can buy whatever I need to eat, and the animals can't. Am I just going overboard?

I offset this by eating some of the animals as well it helps balance it out. PETA People Eating Tasty Animals

Ender
02-05-2010, 14:17
Back in '98, another hiker and I got sucked in by the blueberry bushes in PA. We stopped hiking, even though there was a thunderstorm coming, and collected a small bag each, and then rushed to the next shelter getting there just before the rain started. Made for some tasty times while waiting for the rain to stop. Mmmmmmmm....

10-K
02-05-2010, 14:41
I ate tons of berries and one cluster was the biggest I have ever seen. About 5 minutes of hiking later came the zinc site. Hope I was not as close as I fear I was.

You get used to the vision problems but I still hate it when people in Wal Mart stare at me.

ShelterLeopard
02-05-2010, 14:43
I have to say, I didn't think about the Palmerton Site- I ate a LOT of those blueberries on my section last summer... But they were darned good and I was hungry and wayyy dehydrated. My judgement was impaired and I love blueberries!

ki0eh
02-05-2010, 16:59
You could go up to the Quehanna Wild Area (http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/airwaste/rp/quehanna/index.htm) and eat your fill of blueberries too!

mudhead
02-06-2010, 14:32
Nah. I enjoy watching stuff eat berries. Blue poo is amusing.

You get used to the vision problems but I still hate it when people in Wal Mart stare at me.

Open mouth stare?

~Ronin~
02-08-2010, 11:56
When you guys are talking about the contaminated berries do you mean before you reach Palmerton, after you pass it, or both? And are they really that bad because I notice alot of people talking about eating the berries there each year. Just curious. When I was hiking southbound out of Lehigh Gap last week it seemed like most of the area up there had enough vegetation growing that I would think the berries there would be fine. There were a few spots around Devil's Pulpit and such that I might not eat from and I haven't gone northbound out of the gap yet so I don't know what that side is like.

mweinstone
02-08-2010, 12:04
mmmmmm...blueberry stuffed trailside animals of all kinds .mm.

10-K
02-08-2010, 13:26
When you guys are talking about the contaminated berries do you mean before you reach Palmerton, after you pass it, or both? .

I hiked that section sobo and the trail was rerouted over to the side of the hill the last miles before Lehigh gap. Blueberries the whole way..