PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storm Coming

veteran
02-04-2010, 09:56
For all the early starters, there is a big storm coming.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7945&stc=1&d=1265291675

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2010, 10:28
These maps stir a lot of emotions. I remember the drought of 2007/2008 people were showing this one http://drought.unl.edu/DM/MONITOR.html as proof-positive evidence of global warming. Of course, then it had a lot more dark spots on it.

http://drought.unl.edu/DM/drmon.gif

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2010, 10:45
Drought Severity

http://drought.unl.edu/dm/images/d0.png D0 Abnormally Dryhttp://drought.unl.edu/dm/images/d1.png D1 Drought - Moderatehttp://drought.unl.edu/dm/images/d2.png D2 Drought - Severehttp://drought.unl.edu/dm/images/d3.png D3 Drought - Extremehttp://drought.unl.edu/dm/images/d4.png D4 Drought - Exceptional

>> (http://javascript<b></b>:moveLeft('next');)
http://drought.unl.edu/dm/archive/20080729/pics/conus_dm_080729.jpg
Download image (http://drought.unl.edu/dm/archive/2008/drmon0729.gif) or PDF (http://drought.unl.edu/dm/archive/20080729/pdfs/total_dm_080729.pdf)
Read the summary (http://javascript<b></b>:openSummary(20080729);)

>> (http://javascript<b></b>:moveRight('next');)
http://drought.unl.edu/dm/archive/20080826/pics/conus_dm_080826.jpg
Here they are, pretty scary.

:sun

DrRichardCranium
02-04-2010, 10:58
I'm not starting my thru-hike until late March, but this just means there will be a decent amount of ground water this year for the springs.

Interesting. The Farmer's Almanac was predicting that overall, 2010 would be just slightly drier than average on the east coast.

Here's what they say about Mid-Atlantic weather:

Annual Weather Summary: November 2009 to October 2010

Winter will be slightly colder and drier than normal, with below-normal snowfall. The coldest periods will occur in early to mid-January and mid-February. The snowiest periods will be around Thanksgiving, in late December, mid- to late January, early and mid-February, and early March.
April and May will be much warmer and slightly drier than normal, despite a cool and wet start to April.
Summer will be slightly cooler and drier than normal, with the hottest periods in mid-June, mid-July, and early to mid-August. September and October will be warmer and drier than normal.

DrRichardCranium
02-04-2010, 10:59
:pLooks like the got the "below normal snowfall" bit wrong for this winter.

QuarterPounder
02-04-2010, 11:53
Weather reports for Northern VA are calling for a possible 20" Friday/Saturday. As this is a Nor'easter coming up from the Gulf, I would guess the southern Appalachians may really get hammered.

Hoop Time
02-04-2010, 12:22
Don't expect any early starters to be anywhere close to Pa., but the forecast right now for the Cumberland Valley area is 7-10 inches, with more to the south, less to the north. Sounds like it was a good thing the Pa. Ruck was last weekend.

DAJA
02-04-2010, 13:09
:pLooks like the got the "below normal snowfall" bit wrong for this winter.

This may be true for your region, but we are definitely seeing below normal snowfall here in the the northeast.. We currently have less than 2 inches on the ground when we normally would have between 1-3 feet. I've only used my snowblower 3 times so far. By this time last year I'd cleared my yard 22 times.. This winter has truely been lame, cold but lame!

Mrs Baggins
02-04-2010, 13:12
Weather reports for Northern VA are calling for a possible 20" Friday/Saturday. As this is a Nor'easter coming up from the Gulf, I would guess the southern Appalachians may really get hammered.

They're upping the totals here (central Maryland) to 24" - at this rate we could see 36" by Sunday morning. I hope the early starters have run for cover and will stay put til this is over. Nonsense to try to hike in this just to say you did it. More likely the obit will say "he/she tried to do it." :eek:

Daydream Believer
02-04-2010, 13:38
There is no freaking drought in SE Virginia. 2009 had 20 more inches of rain than normal and was the 4th wettest year in recorded history. We just had 10 inches of snow from last weekend melt and we are expecting another huge mess in here this weekend. I have mud that is beyond belief. It has gone from ridiculously wet to becoming a major inconvenience. I'm having trouble getting feed to my animals with our tractor and equipment. I'm so sick of this rain.

Mrs Baggins
02-04-2010, 15:10
I'll be out there while the rest of you are talking about it.:cool:

Don't forget the toe tag with your name and next of kin notification info. :D

sasquatch2014
02-04-2010, 15:22
Don't expect any early starters to be anywhere close to Pa., but the forecast right now for the Cumberland Valley area is 7-10 inches, with more to the south, less to the north. Sounds like it was a good thing the Pa. Ruck was last weekend.

I think if I had to cross the valley like I did last week with 7-10 inch of new snow it would have a reason to maybe grab a hotel room halfway across. Glad the weather worked in our favor cold and windy but dry and no snow on the trail at all.

Jester2000
02-04-2010, 15:41
I'll be out there while the rest of you are talking about it.:cool:

Um, have fun?

18-24" currently the prediction for here by NOAA.

fiddlehead
02-04-2010, 15:59
You all are making me jealous now.
I miss skiing more than anything else.

Egads
02-04-2010, 18:38
Don't forget the toe tag with your name and next of kin notification info. :D

Not a nice post; you're such an pessimist:D

Praha4
02-04-2010, 19:20
hey this is good news, more snowfall now should mean better water flow in the creeks & springs in the mountains this spring/summer

Mrs Baggins
02-04-2010, 20:30
Not a nice post; you're such an pessimist:D

Nope. I'm a mom. And I don't suffer fools. Of any age for any reason. Especially the swaggering "I'll hike it!" no matter how stupid that really is.

Cookerhiker
02-04-2010, 20:37
For all the early starters, there is a big storm coming.

This will help replenish the base snow at Herrington Manor where I X-Country skiied on Sunday after the PA Ruck. OK conditions but a few bare spots crossing the powerline.

Blissful
02-04-2010, 20:46
yeah we're getting nailed again here in VA, already have had 3 1/2 feet so far with likely two feet more this weekend. No water problems this coming season.

Deerleg
02-05-2010, 08:53
Would love to Shoe somewhere around Graig's Creek Valley or points north Sunday afternoon! Hope someone posts some pics of their adventure for the rest of us.

SawnieRobertson
02-05-2010, 11:31

You got it. Here on Teas Road, Sugar Grove, we are experiencing a heavy "wintry mix." This too will pass, I am told, meaning that Monday will allow us to peak out of our doors without receiving a blast of ice in the face. Note to Self: (1) When the moment comes, take the trash to the Waste Management Center. It has a foul odor even when frozen. (2) Watch for signs of Cabin Fever. You don't want to become unwittingly obnoxious on WhiteBlaze.net, your one contact with others who'd rather be hiking the Appalachian Trail.--Kinnickinic

Garlic
02-05-2010, 11:45
thought Al Gore and John Travolta said there is global warming occuring while flying around in Travolta's 747.

DAJA
02-05-2010, 12:04
thought Al Gore and John Travolta said there is global warming occuring while flying around in Travolta's 747.

Our current winter here in the Northeast proves there story correct! Remember, GW does not mean all areas experience warmer weather but rather changing weather patterns with an increase in severe storms. EX: The Southeast has been getting hammered with snow and cold, while we in the northeast have had a relatively mild snow free winter and Cali is flooding..

Jester2000
02-05-2010, 13:04
Weather and climate are two different things.

Gray Blazer
02-05-2010, 13:13
Global warming is better in FL than Global cooling. Just ask all those citrus and scrawberry farmers.

the goat
02-05-2010, 13:24

weather is an indication of climate, no?

20" to 30" with areas of 30"+ expected here. thank god this isn't the warmer weekend!

Blissful
02-05-2010, 13:49
Yeah, snowing like crazy right now. They were saying maybe tonight 4 inches an hour.

sasquatch2014
02-05-2010, 13:54
I believe that it is all caused by continental drift! This must be a top priority and stopped at all costs.

the goat
02-05-2010, 13:57
I believe that it is all caused by continental drift! This must be a top priority and stopped at all costs.

i'll be in the outer banks in a few weeks, i'll throw a gigantic anchor into the atlantic!

Yahtzee
02-05-2010, 14:00
Looking ahead: Forecasts are for another 6-8 inch storm will be arriving the PA on Tuesday/Wednesday. Philly's budget for snow removal was wiped out in the first storm. The next few days are gonna be something here in the city.

sasquatch2014
02-05-2010, 14:08
i'll be in the outer banks in a few weeks, i'll throw a gigantic anchor into the atlantic!

Now if we can someone to rig a few outboard engines to the piers in California we can not only stop this craziness but maybe even increase the size of the Rockies.

sasquatch2014
02-05-2010, 14:09
Looking ahead: Forecasts are for another 6-8 inch storm will be arriving the PA on Tuesday/Wednesday. Philly's budget for snow removal was wiped out in the first storm. The next few days are gonna be something here in the city.

Time to head for the hills. No new snow up here in NY right now and the trail is fine. Come on up.

Jester2000
02-05-2010, 14:15
weather is an indication of climate, no?

20" to 30" with areas of 30"+ expected here. thank god this isn't the warmer weekend!

I was just thinking that! Course, it'll probably snow then too.

Local weather is affected by a lot of things. Global climate will eventually affect local weather patterns, but by then there definitely won't be anything that can be done about it. So, for example, noticing that there's ice in my freezer isn't a good indicator of whether or not the power is on in my house.

NOAA has upped the predicted totals here. Now saying:

ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30
INCHES...WITH SOME LOCATIONS IN EXCESS OF 30 INCHES.

sherrill
02-05-2010, 15:01
Shiver me timbers.

horicon
02-05-2010, 16:22
Snow??? OK I have seen my share in my life time.

Pedaling Fool
02-05-2010, 16:27
Not really. Climate is just an average of all the daily weather days. And like any average there are extremes, both hot and cold and wet and dry.

No one can accurately forecast weather, so why do they think they can accurately predicate climate change.

Just because CO2 is a greenhouse gas and its concentration has increased and is still increasing doesn't mean the temp is going to increase. That belief ignores all other feedback loops associated with climate.

CO2 levels were as high as 4,000ppm from about 130-160 million years ago, yet the temps were as cool or cooler than today.

Jester2000
02-05-2010, 16:52
Not really. Climate is just an average of all the daily weather days. . .

Um, yeah. Which means climate and weather are not the same thing.

One of the differences between weather and climate is that this thread is about weather, and as such is the perfect place to discuss weather, but not the place to argue about climate.

Pedaling Fool
02-05-2010, 17:17
Before this crazy winter here in Florida I had literally hundreds of little Anole lizards running around. I haven't seen any in a long time. I understand they hibernate, but it's been so long, much longer than normal for around here I'm wondering how many will return when the temps finally warm-up.

I was digging up areas where they hibernate around the yard and found many dead ones, some live, but most dead. It will be interesting to see how fast they comeback.

TD55
02-05-2010, 17:22
I was digging up areas where they hibernate around the yard and found many dead ones, some live, but most dead. It will be interesting to see how fast they comeback.

Sorry to give you the bad news. The live ones might survive, but the dead ones are never coming back.

Jester2000
02-05-2010, 17:23
Sorry to give you the bad news. The live ones might survive, but the dead ones are never coming back.

Not with that attitude they're not.

Mrs Baggins
02-05-2010, 18:40
I was just thinking that! Course, it'll probably snow then too.

Local weather is affected by a lot of things. Global climate will eventually affect local weather patterns, but by then there definitely won't be anything that can be done about it. So, for example, noticing that there's ice in my freezer isn't a good indicator of whether or not the power is on in my house.

NOAA has upped the predicted totals here. Now saying:

ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30
INCHES...WITH SOME LOCATIONS IN EXCESS OF 30 INCHES.

Our NOAA forecast says "Three inches of liquid from this storm....." Since it takes 1" of rain to make 1 FOOT of snow, we're looking at 3 feet by Saturday night.

sasquatch2014
02-05-2010, 18:44
It is no more. It has ceased to be.

I saw a news clip of a little girl that had gone around collecting all the iguanas that had been freezing up and falling out of the trees in her yard. she collected them in a box and made the mistake of brining the box into the house. House warm iguana wakey wakey!

DrRichardCranium
02-05-2010, 19:10
Before this crazy winter here in Florida I had literally hundreds of little Anole lizards running around. I haven't seen any in a long time. I understand they hibernate, but it's been so long, much longer than normal for around here I'm wondering how many will return when the temps finally warm-up.

Leave the gun. Take the anoles.

solace
02-05-2010, 19:25
The APPS are gonna get hammered prob :) Ahhh... what an adventure!!!

DrRichardCranium
02-05-2010, 19:36
Speaking of getting hammered:

If you're getting snowed in tonight, what is your beverage of choice for the evening, assuming you've stocked up?

Jester2000
02-05-2010, 19:48
Our NOAA forecast says "Three inches of liquid from this storm....." Since it takes 1" of rain to make 1 FOOT of snow, we're looking at 3 feet by Saturday night.

It sounds like NOAA isn't sure what kind of liquid might be falling in your area, so they decided to play it safe. Might be where the expression "pissin' down rain" comes from.

On the other hand, it might be raining whiskey, in which case you should go out and play in it.

Mrs Baggins
02-05-2010, 19:53
Speaking of getting hammered:

If you're getting snowed in tonight, what is your beverage of choice for the evening, assuming you've stocked up?

Canadian Mist over ice with club soda.........already on glass #3:D

northwind
02-05-2010, 20:04
Snow coming down hard now. We have a couple inches already. This Global warming is starting to get to me! :sun

prain4u
02-06-2010, 01:23
Originally Posted by PineCone http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=964351#post964351)
I'll be out there while the rest of you are talking about it"

I am assuming that you are joking. However, if not, I spent time in New Orleans helping rescue (and recover the remains of) people who decided to "ride out" Hurricane Katrina. It probably wouldn't be that much different rescuing / recovering folks who try to "ride out" a record breaking blizzard! :D

Garlic
02-06-2010, 02:13
I live in Hawaii now and I am enjoying those 80 degree days:-)

DrRichardCranium
02-06-2010, 02:39
I will go on record right here & now saying this is getting over-hyped.

I expect thatwe in the mid-Atlantic states Will get over a foot of snow. And that is a respectable snowfall, even for our folks in New England, so don't say that is nothing.

However, I don't think it will be record breaking. Most of the first few hours of snowfall didn't even stick.

Egads
02-06-2010, 05:39
nothing but rain in the SE

Mrs Baggins
02-06-2010, 09:07
Originally Posted by PineCone http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=964351#post964351)
I'll be out there while the rest of you are talking about it"

I am assuming that you are joking. However, if not, I spent time in New Orleans helping rescue (and recover the remains of) people who decided to "ride out" Hurricane Katrina. It probably wouldn't be that much different rescuing / recovering folks who try to "ride out" a record breaking blizzard! :D

That's why I said get a toe tag. I remember that there was some big hurricane coming just a few years ago and the cops were going door to door to tell people to evacuate. When someone refused they were calmly handed toe tags for everyone in the house and told to fill them out right away. That got many of them to get out!

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2010, 09:11
It is no more. It has ceased to be.

I saw a news clip of a little girl that had gone around collecting all the iguanas that had been freezing up and falling out of the trees in her yard. she collected them in a box and made the mistake of brining the box into the house. House warm iguana wakey wakey!
To clairify, I did not pickup these lizards, I was just curious of how they were doing. At first sight they all look dead, but with a closer look it's pretty easy to discern the living from dead; I simply covered them back up.

BTW, I read a story about an old guy that was throwing the iguanas in the back of his stationwagon, but they revived before he got home; they said he was lucky he didn't get into an accident:D

I have no idea what that means:confused:

Mrs Baggins
02-06-2010, 09:12
We have about 20" as an average depth, drifts appear to be more than 3 feet in some places - some higher. It's still snowing hard, still drifting, still piling up and it's just after 8 am. We got up around 5 am, kept all of the lights off, made coffee, put on some soft classical music, pulled up the blinds and watched the ethereal beauty of it all. I've lived in several perpetually warm or at least mild climate places. I wouldn't trade this for any of them.

Egads
02-06-2010, 09:27
That's why I said get a toe tag. I remember that there was some big hurricane coming just a few years ago and the cops were going door to door to tell people to evacuate. When someone refused they were calmly handed toe tags for everyone in the house and told to fill them out right away. That got many of them to get out!

What's this got to do with a deep snow? The temps are in the mid to upper 20s. This is not a killer storm for a hiker. Don't go out in it if you aren't up to it. Just be prepared if you do. ICYDK, quite a few Whiteblazers enjoy hiking in snow. Take a look at Tipi's or Mags galleries and you'll see what I'm talking about

Deerleg
02-06-2010, 09:53
Tons of good vid's this morning on YouTube...here is just one...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F9OH1Y77uw

Cookerhiker
02-06-2010, 10:25
We have about 20" as an average depth, drifts appear to be more than 3 feet in some places - some higher. It's still snowing hard, still drifting, still piling up and it's just after 8 am. We got up around 5 am, kept all of the lights off, made coffee, put on some soft classical music, pulled up the blinds and watched the ethereal beauty of it all. I've lived in several perpetually warm or at least mild climate places. I wouldn't trade this for any of them.

Man, I'm jealous! Right now, I miss Western MD. We got a pathetic 1/2 inch on the ground - the grass is still visible.

sasquatch2014
02-06-2010, 11:57
What's this got to do with a deep snow? The temps are in the mid to upper 20s. This is not a killer storm for a hiker. Don't go out in it if you aren't up to it. Just be prepared if you do. ICYDK, quite a few Whiteblazers enjoy hiking in snow. Take a look at Tipi's or Mags galleries and you'll see what I'm talking about

I am hoping that they get just enough in PA to help freeze the rocks together and fill in the holes. PA winter hiking is the way to go. I'll take a good snow storm over a 33* rain anyday!

DrRichardCranium
02-06-2010, 12:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=965380#post965380)

I have no idea what that means:confused:

Godfather reference.

jersey joe
02-06-2010, 12:41
Northern NJ got absolutely no snow.

Jester2000
02-06-2010, 12:50
Still snowing pretty hard here. Not sure how deep it is, but I threw the cat out there and he disappeared. He's a pretty big cat and he's black, so it's pretty deep.

I'm expecting a revenge vomiting on my bed later.

eric j
02-06-2010, 13:26
Northern NJ got absolutely no snow.
Yeah, was planning on skiing High Point tomorrow,not, another **** winter in the Hudson valley. And the mid Atlantic?? The Earth has tilted on it's axis

Spirit Walker
02-06-2010, 13:28
We've got between 19 and 31 inches on the driveway. Drifts out back are even deeper. It is still snowing hard. Beautiful. The world in black and white. It may take us two days to dig out though.

prain4u
02-06-2010, 13:30

I am a northern Wisconsin native. I understand winter hiking and winter camping--done quite a bit of it. This is not your typical winter snowstorm. This is 24-36 inches of rapidly falling snow with a forecast of high winds (an actual blizzard). Personally, I wouldn't go out hiking in this storm until AFTER the snowfall and winds die down. Then it would be real fun!

Some of the risks of hiking and camping in a storm like this: poor visibility (white out conditions), the weight of the falling snow being too much for a tent to hold, tree branches cracking and falling under the weight of the snow (and a hiker being under the falling branches), dangerous wind chills if the wind really gets to 45 mph (as originally predicted), dangerous road conditions while traveling to the trail, and it can be difficult to get a stove lit and keep it lit in real blizzard conditions.

Mrs Baggins
02-06-2010, 13:48
I am a northern Wisconsin native. I understand winter hiking and winter camping--done quite a bit of it. This is not your typical winter snowstorm. This is 24-36 inches of rapidly falling snow with a forecast of high winds (an actual blizzard). Personally, I wouldn't go out hiking in this storm until AFTER the snowfall and winds die down. Then it would be real fun!

Some of the risks of hiking and camping in a storm like this: poor visibility (white out conditions), the weight of the falling snow being too much for a tent to hold, tree branches cracking and falling under the weight of the snow (and a hiker being under the falling branches), dangerous wind chills if the wind really gets to 45 mph (as originally predicted), dangerous road conditions while traveling to the trail, and it can be difficult to get a stove lit and keep it lit in real blizzard conditions.

Thank you. We aren't talking about enjoy a hike in the snow. That can be a magical wonderful thing. We're talking about going out in a freaking blizzard. There are people who probably love hiking in the rain.....do you encourage them to go for it in a 120 mph hurricane????? The people who insist on doing that kind of stuff are generally called "fatalities" and every one of them believed it wouldn't happen to them.

10-K
02-06-2010, 14:03
I am hoping that they get just enough in PA to help freeze the rocks together and fill in the holes. PA winter hiking is the way to go. I'll take a good snow storm over a 33* rain anyday!

Believe it or not, that's exactly what happened when I was hiking through NJ in December... The closer I got to DWG the rockier it was getting but there was 4-7" of hard frozen snow on the trail and it did a great job of filling in the gaps.

mudhead
02-06-2010, 14:16
The multiquote plus sign changes to a minus and the post is ready to be multiquoted. It will stay activated as you move to the thread you want to post to. I think the system also asks if you really want to use the quote from the outside thread.
Asks at the bottom of the reply box. Thanks.:)

We've got between 19 and 31 inches on the driveway. Drifts out back are even deeper. It is still snowing hard. Beautiful. The world in black and white. It may take us two days to dig out though.

It is pretty getting dumped on. Might remember to keep the doors gnawed out just in case.

Trees heavy?

emerald
02-06-2010, 14:20
I don't have the final county-wide snowfall from this winter storm event to report, but I can tell you I have 20 inches of undrifted snow on my driveway.

Mrs Baggins
02-06-2010, 14:26
Asks at the bottom of the reply box. Thanks.:)

It is pretty getting dumped on. Might remember to keep the doors gnawed out just in case.

Trees heavy?

We're loving it here in central Maryland. Our cars are nearly buried, the streets have long ago disappeared, we still have power but if it goes out we are on gas for heat, hot water, cooking, and the fireplace. If I hadn't stocked up on food we still have enough dehydrated food to last for at least 2 weeks for the 3 of us if need be. We have 4 bath tubs we could fill with water if we thought the city water would fail, not to mention 50 gallons of fresh water in the water heater, we have fuel canisters for our backpacking stoves and our 2 burner camp stove if we had to use them in the unfinished area of the basement, we have water purification systems, down clothing and sleeping bags, and more. I'd say backpackers are the survivalists of our time. We generally have everything it would take to live for a few weeks at least.

mudhead
02-06-2010, 14:35
Might need electric for the gas heat.

City water is nice when the power goes.

Silicone spray or floor wax on the shovels makes it easier.

If we are due any more snow up here, I have asked that it be split between you and Woodsy. He likes snow.

DAJA
02-06-2010, 14:39
We're loving it here in central Maryland. Our cars are nearly buried, the streets have long ago disappeared, we still have power but if it goes out we are on gas for heat, hot water, cooking, and the fireplace. If I hadn't stocked up on food we still have enough dehydrated food to last for at least 2 weeks for the 3 of us if need be. We have 4 bath tubs we could fill with water if we thought the city water would fail, not to mention 50 gallons of fresh water in the water heater, we have fuel canisters for our backpacking stoves and our 2 burner camp stove if we had to use them in the unfinished area of the basement, we have water purification systems, down clothing and sleeping bags, and more. I'd say backpackers are the survivalists of our time. We generally have everything it would take to live for a few weeks at least.

3 people and four bath tubs... yup, your a true survivalist... Hmmm, I wonder if overconsumption and global warming are linked? Retrocal question, don't respond...

mudhead
02-06-2010, 14:43
One tub is for shiners. One for growing water lilies. One for beer and ice.

The other is for guests from the way north woods.

Mrs Baggins
02-06-2010, 14:45
I don't believe in Al Gore or the scam of global warming. Period. How many people on this site have multiple pieces of the same gear? Over consumption? Unnecessary manufacturing? Greed? Using a computer? Using a bicycle to power it? No? Hypocrite.

DAJA
02-06-2010, 14:50
Hey its a free country, your entitled to feel entitled just as i'm entitled to feel offended...

Computer runs on solar and wind, try again...

Egads
02-06-2010, 14:55
Thank you. We aren't talking about enjoy a hike in the snow. That can be a magical wonderful thing. We're talking about going out in a freaking blizzard. There are people who probably love hiking in the rain.....do you encourage them to go for it in a 120 mph hurricane????? The people who insist on doing that kind of stuff are generally called "fatalities" and every one of them believed it wouldn't happen to them.

Just checked the weather in your neighborhood, 29.8 deg and 1.3 mph winds. It's a heavy snow, but not dangerous like a 120 mph hurricane. Pinecone wants to hike / camp in it, let him. Don't be such a downer.:(

emerald
02-06-2010, 15:05
Pinecones are accustomed to being outdoors in all conditions.

Spirit Walker
02-06-2010, 15:20
I'm hoping for some wind to blow some snow off the roof. It was creaking last night.

emerald
02-06-2010, 15:30
I have more snow on my roof than I'm comfortable having there too. Ice dams will form when it melts and the inevitible freeze and thaw cycles follow. My program would benefit from a friendly assist by the wicked wind of the west.

Sometimes it's better in the short term when it's cold and stays cold, but it all must melt at some point. The snow cover will help to keep us cool until then.:cool:

sasquatch2014
02-06-2010, 17:50
I don't believe in Al Gore or the scam of global warming. Period. How many people on this site have multiple pieces of the same gear? Over consumption? Unnecessary manufacturing? Greed? Using a computer? Using a bicycle to power it? No? Hypocrite.

Sorry was out letting the car idle for a while to get it warmed up before I drive to the store and buy stuff, not sure what but stuff.

Old Hiker
02-06-2010, 18:05
Nope. I'm a mom. And I don't suffer fools. Of any age for any reason. Especially the swaggering "I'll hike it!" no matter how stupid that really is.

BUT MMM-AHAHAHAH-MMMMM, EVERYONE'S DOING IT!! WHY CAN'T I DO IT TOO???

You're so mean - I HATE you!

<Door slams in background>

:rolleyes: Substitute "Dad" for "Mom". Been there - done that. :D

Egads
02-06-2010, 18:27

Sorry was out letting the car idle for a while to get it warmed up before I drive to the store and buy stuff, not sure what but stuff.

Hey Sasquatch, what do you say about a road trip to Damascus to buy yet another sleeping bag or tent?:banana

the goat
02-06-2010, 19:35

amen sista!

you can add overly-gigantic houses to that, old al knows a/b that all too well.

prain4u
02-06-2010, 20:46
I will go on record right here & now saying this is getting over-hyped.

I expect thatwe in the mid-Atlantic states Will get over a foot of snow. And that is a respectable snowfall, even for our folks in New England, so don't say that is nothing.

However, I don't think it will be record breaking. Most of the first few hours of snowfall didn't even stick.

Care to revise these comments in light of the actual snowfall amounts? :D

Jester2000
02-06-2010, 20:50
Care to revise these comments in light of the actual snowfall amounts? :D

Right now it's not so much overhyped as under-shoveled.

sasquatch2014
02-06-2010, 21:37
Give it a month it will melt.

dgaf169
02-06-2010, 21:48
I've got 32 inches on the ground where I'm at right now. Never seen this much snow in VA!!!

fiddlehead
02-06-2010, 22:05
I'd say backpackers are the survivalists of our time. .

Backpackers would only be good survivalists until the food runs out.

I watched 3 families of Burmese illegals here catch frogs and lizards, shoot birds with slingshots (made that look so easy) and gather edible wild plants for weeks near my house last year and only had to buy some herbs and chilis for added taste.
They would do much better IMO (than backpackers)

Of course hunters would do ok too. (until the ammo ran out)

But backpackers would be more comfortable for sure.

DAJA
02-06-2010, 22:15

I watched 3 families of Burmese illegals here catch frogs and lizards, shoot birds with slingshots (made that look so easy) and gather edible wild plants for weeks near my house last year and only had to buy some herbs and chilis for added taste.

^^ This ^^

sasquatch2014
02-06-2010, 22:25

In this cold catching lizards and frogs is easy they are moving real slow.:D

fiddlehead
02-06-2010, 22:28
Then they'd probably eat all the cats you guys are throwing out into the snow.

I've seen a 15 year old shoot a small bird through leaves of a tree from about 30 yards away and stick him in his pocket where he had 3 others. I've seen 5 year olds practicing to do this.