PDA

View Full Version : in the kitchen.

Roughin' It
02-04-2010, 11:24
I have a Jetboil pcs that I will be using for my thru, and I am wondering if I should also buy a cooking pot to take, so I can make 2 things without having to eat and clean it before making something else. Jetboil makes a 1.5 liter cooking pot, and I have seen some others that are cheaper also.
For those experienced hikers, is it normal to carry 2 cooking pots and sacrifice the bulk, or do you just bring 1 pot?

Lone Wolf
02-04-2010, 11:27
For those experienced hikers, is it normal to carry 2 cooking pots and sacrifice the bulk, or do you just bring 1 pot?

when i long distance hike i carry 2 pots and a frp pan. i like to make sauces and stir fry, eggs, bacon, etc.

Pedaling Fool
02-04-2010, 12:05
I use a pot with my PCS. I only use the jetboil cup to initially heat the water and drink hot drinks from. I just use a normal pot I got years ago from an outfitter, smaller than the jetboil pot.

Blissful
02-04-2010, 20:48
One pot for a long distance hike is what I use. For weekends, etc we go gourmet.

RollingStone
02-04-2010, 23:48
We have been traditionally only one pot people. Not this year, and not next year on our thru. We'll each carry a kmart grease pot and a 4ounce, 8 inch frying pan. The frying pan is an el cheapo aluminum from wal mart with the handle removed. We like to do something different every so often and want a frying pan. I think if you like to be creative with your food, then you'll enjoy having a frying pan with you.

Hikes in Rain
02-05-2010, 07:51
I still occasionally use my old Boy Scout cook kit. It's almost 40 years old, the pot holds three cups, the frying pan is made with thick enough aluminum to keep from scorching stuff, and the only use I've been able to come up with for the plate/bowl is as a big domed lid that you can't lift back off! :)

Spirit Walker
02-05-2010, 12:39
We just use one pot. It's a big one but light. Unless you are into gourmet cooking on the trail, one pot works fine. Either you make your drink first, and sip it while waiting for the dinner to cook (assuming you have a seperate cup or bowl to drink from) or you cook dinner first and use the boiling water from your hot drink to clean our your dirty pot.

KnittingMelissa
02-09-2010, 17:46
One pot on a long hike works well. I have one of those squishy rubber bowl/cup things (stores nicely in the pot) and use that for a drinking cup a lot of the time. In the morning I just make cocoa in the pot, pour it into Sir Squishy, and then make oatmeal in the pot without cleaning it inbetween. Gives me some delicious chocolate flavored oatmeal (not strong, but it's there), and I love it. Or, if I'm in a hurry I just make the oatmeal in the cocoa. Delicious! :sun

The Flatulator
02-09-2010, 17:53
One pot--one cup--one spoon. Anything else is overkill (and extra weight).

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 18:05
when i long distance hike i carry 2 pots and a frp pan. i like to make sauces and stir fry, eggs, bacon, etc.

I carry one pot. But then I sort of hover around people like Lone Wolf.

Just kidding. Might be worth the weight/bulk if you're going to do some actual cooking. You can always send it home if you find you're not using it.

One pot--one cup--one spoon.

. . . but multiple cheeses.

Johnny Swank
02-09-2010, 19:38
I carried on pot on my thru-hike. My wife and I always just carried one pot, but carried a full set when we went down the Mississippi - we ended up just using one pot for that trip.

So yeah, one pot. :)

Tinker
02-09-2010, 19:46
One pot since 1996. Lately I've been carrying a metal cup so I can reheat stuff like coffee and hot chocolate if they get cold. I used to carry plastic cups but they would hold flavors and sometimes get so oily I couldn't clean them properly in the woods.
Currently I use an Evernew 1.3 liter (yeah, it's big, but I'm usually 1) Very hungry and 2) Can't bear the possibility of spilling a single calorie when stirring the pot) and a cup from the cheapest Snow Peak Ti cookset made. It's really two pots, but one is mostly a cup.