PDA

View Full Version : What section to hike? ME, NH, VT Area

Rush2112
02-04-2010, 13:06
Sometime this summer I want to take 2-4 weeks to hike a section. I live in central NH (Laconia) and am wondering which section is the best to do in that time frame. I'm thinking ME, NH, VT area. It can encompass any of those states.

I don't mind difficult, I just want to get the most satisfaction possible out of my trip, as obviously can't do the entire thing.

emerald
02-04-2010, 13:15
Start at Williamstown and hike VT and NH. With about a month on another occasion, you could hike Maine, finishing with Katahdin. If completing your A.T. journey on Katahdin isn't important to you, hike from Katahdin home.

A two-week vacation would likely allow enough time to finish The Long Trail.

Rush2112
02-04-2010, 13:47
So, the MA/VT border to the NH/ME border in two weeks? That sounds a bit ambitious. I'll have to check out the mileage on that.

m_factor
02-04-2010, 14:10
Why don't you just hike the entire Long Trail? At 273 miles, three or four weeks should be plenty of time to thruhike the entire trail. You'll get a good chunk of the AT in where it corresponds to the LT and then if you have extra time, you can always go back and do the AT stretch to from the LT to NH, too.

Hmm, Maine would make for a good hike, too...

Whatever you decide, just make sure you don't go too early... Black fly season usually lasts until mid-July.

sasquatch2014
02-04-2010, 15:37
So, the MA/VT border to the NH/ME border in two weeks? That sounds a bit ambitious. I'll have to check out the mileage on that.

This past summer I did from Hanover down to Manchester in about 8 days so for a full 2 wks you could do all of the At in Vt and not be pushing it too much. Good section. I had a ton of fun with it even though it was really muddy due to all the rain.

emerald
02-04-2010, 15:58
So, the MA/VT border to the NH/ME border in two weeks? That sounds a bit ambitious.

For most, it would be.

Sometime this summer I want to take 2-4 weeks to hike a section.

It would likely require more like 3-4. The A.T. in Vermont and New Hampshire are give or take about the same length as Vermont's Long Trail.

fiddlehead
02-04-2010, 16:02
I'd do Maine. All of it.

Jack Tarlin
02-04-2010, 16:05
Rush:

I'd do Vermont.

Most thru-hikers take from 9-11 days to hike the whole state which is about 150 miles.

But then, they've been out for around 130 days befire they get to the MA/VT border, so it mat take you longer.

I'd give yourself two weeks and I'd do it in August.

(P.S. You will NOT get from the MA/VT border to the NH/ME border in 2 weeks. Most thru-hikers take 20-23 days to do this).

sasquatch2014
02-04-2010, 16:19
Rush:

I'd do Vermont.

Most thru-hikers take from 9-11 days to hike the whole state which is about 150 miles.

But then, they've been out for around 130 days befire they get to the MA/VT border, so it mat take you longer.

I'd give yourself two weeks and I'd do it in August.

(P.S. You will NOT get from the MA/VT border to the NH/ME border in 2 weeks. Most thru-hikers take 20-23 days to do this).

If your really nice Jack may buy you a slice of pizza in Hanover.

Cookerhiker
02-04-2010, 19:35
I second (or is it 3rd) the recommendation for the Long Trail. It will take more than 2 weeks but probably less than 4. Generally the northern part is rougher and more difficult than the south so a NOBO hike makes the most sense. Try to wait until August 1 to avoid black flies and minimize mosquitos.

emerald
02-04-2010, 19:51
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/

Rush2112
02-04-2010, 23:25
So, the general consensus on which state is VT. There's a start. Now I just need to decide on Long Trail vs AT. Would North-South or South-North be best on the long trail?

emerald
02-04-2010, 23:28
It's gets increasingly challenging as one travels north. Start at Williamstown.

I'd hike all of what I recommended as you are able.

Listen for the White-throated Sparrow in Vermont. See if you can get a Gray Jay to eat from your hand in New Hampshire. Fall asleep to the sound of a Common Loon echoeing across a Maine pond.

fiddlehead
02-04-2010, 23:34
So, the general consensus on which state is VT. There's a start. Now I just need to decide on Long Trail vs AT. Would North-South or South-North be best on the long trail?

Mmmm.
Interesting.
The least scenic state of the 3
But the easiest.

I question the recommendations.

Although VT is preferred (by me) over many of the northern states, it is nowhere as scenic, varied, or as interesting as NH or Maine.

They don't call them the Green mountains for nothing.

Tinker
02-04-2010, 23:35
Maine. Caratunk to Katahdin. Lots of swimming possibilities. Actually, with that amount of time you could do from the Bigelows to Katahdin, if I remember the route correctly.

Deadeye
02-04-2010, 23:36
If you just have 2 weeks, I'd go for a SOBO on the LT. You start out with a couple tough days, then a couple relatively easy ones, then you're into some of the best the LT offers: From Johnson to Middlebury has lots of above tree line or open rock hiking, ladders, cliffs, ponds, everything. Go south, take your time, until you have to go home.

Tinker
02-04-2010, 23:37
Btw: The AT in Vt. between the Long Trail and the NH border is PUDS. A lot of work with few views.
I didn't read the above posts before I posted, and I'd have to agree that the Long Trail's northern section can't be beat(en) for wild(erness) hiking. Tough but beautiful.

emerald
02-04-2010, 23:48
Although VT is preferred (by me) over many of the northern states, it is nowhere as scenic, varied, or as interesting as NH or Maine.

I recommended Vermont because it's easiest, less distance to travel and to save the best for last. Had he said he has only two weeks and wanted the best two week hike, I'd have to think about it, but would likely choose Maine for the varied scenery and terrain it provides.

Cookerhiker
02-05-2010, 00:05
Mmmm.
Interesting.
The least scenic state of the 3
But the easiest.

I question the recommendations.

They don't call them the Green mountains for nothing.

I disagree in one respect: For approximately 70 miles of the LT, you have views of Lake Champlain off to the west. You feel like you're parallel to the lake (actually you are)as you stride north, noting the changing width and enjoying the Adirondacks in the distance. There is nothing comparable anywhere on the AT, that is a large continuous natural body of water visible for about a week of hiking.

Cookerhiker
02-05-2010, 00:09
Maine. ..... Actually, with that amount of time you could do from the Bigelows to Katahdin, if I remember the route correctly.

Hmmm - I know he said he didn't mind a challenging hike but starting with the Bigalows? As long as he knows he's in for a very difficult first day, especially that descent down the north side of Avery Peak.

emerald
02-05-2010, 00:15
For approximately 70 miles of the LT, you have views of Lake Champlain off to the west. You feel like you're parallel to the lake (actually you are) as you stride north, noting the changing width and enjoying the Adirondacks in the distance.

Sunset from Mt. Mansfield or Saddleback anyone?

Rush2112
02-05-2010, 00:59
I could probably swing 3-4 weeks, I just know that I can get a minimum of 2 weeks. Keep suggestions coming guys, you're a wealth of information!

emerald
02-05-2010, 01:38
Well, you could hike from Canada to Katahdin. I always thought that would be a great hike. Just begin anew where you end until you finish.

RollingStone
02-05-2010, 09:55
Definitely MA/VT border to Hanover. And when you get there if you fee like going, keep going.

Laconia - we used to take that dinner train alot from Meredith to Weirs Beach. Man we miss home...

Rush2112
02-05-2010, 11:41
Definitely MA/VT border to Hanover. And when you get there if you fee like going, keep going.

Laconia - we used to take that dinner train alot from Meredith to Weirs Beach. Man we miss home...

I love NH and I don't ever plan on moving...but I'm not sure how much I'd miss Laconia if I lived in Bozeman! I flew into the airport there a few years back for Yellowstone and a four-day Teton hike.

Still, better than my home town of Trashua

I was talking this over yesterday with my dad on the phone. I thought the best thing to do would be to start at the MA/VT border and just plan on getting to NH/VT. Depending on how long that took, I could just keep going until I run out of vacation.

Deadeye
02-05-2010, 12:06
Btw: The AT in Vt. between the Long Trail and the NH border is PUDS. A lot of work with few views..

Agreed, but I actually loved that section and had some great experiences along it. Hiking in open fields, ice cream and a general store right on the trail. I've run into people that are totally bummed unless there's a spectacular view every hour - I'm perfectly content in the trees. YMMV

emerald
02-05-2010, 12:58
Beneath the forest's canopy, trees, shrubs, vines, herbaceous plants and the finer details not visible at distances measured in miles become the view. Some people can't see or appreciate these details because they are too farsighted to focus upon them.

Were the A.T. one continuous vista, it wouldn't be as interesting. Some people need to learn to appreciate the A.T. as it unfolds before them rather than compare it to the imaginary experience which exists only in their own minds.

Most of the time, the real A.T. has more to offer, but only when people live in the present and put on their glasses.

RollingStone
02-05-2010, 15:36
Still, better than my home town of Trashua

Ha Ha.. Trashua. I lived there and in Merrimack. We couldn't get too far north because my wife needed to commute to Boston. We had a summer place up near Ossipee though. Right on the ME border. If we weren't there we were camping or packing in VT.

Old Grouse
02-05-2010, 15:51
Hey, that's the big time. I lived In "Penny Cook"
for a while. And when the breeze blew from the tannery the town smelled like sneaker feet.

DLANOIE
02-05-2010, 19:48
Born and raised in Nashua( I called it Nausea, NH). Now I reside in Maine and love it. I do miss being so close to the Whites though...

RollingStone
02-05-2010, 22:13
Born and raised in Nashua( I called it Nausea, NH). Now I reside in Maine and love it. I do miss being so close to the Whites though...

When we come back to New England we're hoping to move to Maine but the lure of whites always being close is not easy to ignore. I figure as long as we're in any of the three states life will be good ;)