PDA

View Full Version : My new hiking kilt

Doctari
09-21-2004, 17:40
:)

I just finished my new hiking kilt. It's heavy at 19 Oz, but way comfy. I made it from a lightweight wool blanket a friend gave me, looks great. I'll try to post pictures if I ever figure out how to. Should have been taking pics during construction, but too late now, sigh.

I'll be wearing it in a few weeks at the renaissance fest I work at, for Highland fling weekend
:banana

After fair closes in late Oct, I may give it a try on a local trail. I have never hiked in a kilt before, but have worn one frequently, so forsee no problems. Well, unless it's cold
;)

Doctari..

pvtmorriscsa
09-21-2004, 22:53
:)
I have never hiked in a kilt before, but have worn one frequently, so forsee no problems. Well, unless it's cold
;)

Doctari..I thought of that when planning out my clothing load for my up coming thru-hike. I decided on a pair of 100wt fleece long johns, and waterproof gaiters. I figure my knees wont get too cold if I keep marching.
I will be hiking in mine this weekend over on the Shawnee Forest 40 mile loop. I was already warned to expect a lot of thorn bushes in the area this year, so I have been reconditioning an old pair of gaiters that I have to protect my lower legs.
I can't wait for you to post your pictures, so hurry it up and get 'er done! :)

Doctari
09-26-2004, 23:00
I thought of that when planning out my clothing load for my up coming thru-hike. I decided on a pair of 100wt fleece long johns, and waterproof gaiters. I figure my knees wont get too cold if I keep marching.
I will be hiking in mine this weekend over on the Shawnee Forest 40 mile loop. I was already warned to expect a lot of thorn bushes in the area this year, so I have been reconditioning an old pair of gaiters that I have to protect my lower legs.
I can't wait for you to post your pictures, so hurry it up and get 'er done! :)
I guess I should have mentioned that "Cold" is a relative term, I routinely wear shorts & tee shirt down to about 40o or less, and have been barefoot outside for some time at 33o. So probably "Cold in a kilt" would be a lengthy (several hours) time at 30o or less. and then I have "winteralls" panty hose (sure, go ahead & laugh, I would) to keep me warm. Well, as long as I keep my torso reasonably warm.

BTW: wore the new kilt most of my off time (about 12 hrs total) over the weekend, IT IS SO COMFY!!!!!

Doctari.

markellag
09-27-2004, 08:57
Is wearing kilt cross-dressing ???

Doctari
09-28-2004, 00:38
Is wearing kilt cross-dressing ???

Only if a Kilt is worn by a women. :p

A kilt is decidedly men's wear BTW.

I now have made 3, am starting #4 today, should have made about 3 more by end of year.

Doctari.