PDA

View Full Version : smokies sobo

scope
02-04-2010, 16:38
I've heard great things about the AT from Newfound Gap going Nobo...

Supposed to be fairly easy going nobo as the general grade is down. How difficult would it be going sobo from Davenport Gap to Newfound Gap?

Smoky in TN
02-04-2010, 17:29
Not much difference, in my opinion. Pick your poison, climb out of Newfound or climb out of Davenport. Once you get onto the ridgecrest, there isn't any killer up or down.

10-K
02-04-2010, 17:30
I've heard great things about the AT from Newfound Gap going Nobo...

Supposed to be fairly easy going nobo as the general grade is down. How difficult would it be going sobo from Davenport Gap to Newfound Gap?

Up, up and away. Definitely easier going from NG to DG than the other way around.

If I remember right, Newfound Gap is roughly the halfway point which would be about 35 or so miles. Starting at Davenport Gap it's uphill all the way to Tri Corner Knob shelter which is around 16 miles south of Davenport Gap. So, roughly the first half of the hike would be uphill without any breaks. The good news is that it isn't a killer climb - it's just a long, long steady up.

Praha4
02-04-2010, 19:24
some day hiking the AT will be easier.... there's a rumor the NPS is going to use stimulus dollars from Washington to build escalators along the AT, and big screen TVs hanging from the trees ..with nature scenes along the trail

10-K
02-04-2010, 19:26
some day hiking the AT will be easier.... there's a rumor the NPS is going to use stimulus dollars from Washington to build escalators along the AT, and big screen TVs hanging from the trees ..with nature scenes along the trail

Any word on the microwave popcorn?

cknight
02-04-2010, 20:53
Its not that bad going sobo. You have a good climb out of davenport gap but after that is nice hiking. Maybe a few little pulls but nothing like Fontana to New Found either way

McFrancis
02-04-2010, 21:00
Planning the same trip in April where is the best place to leave the car going south

jorhawle
02-04-2010, 22:57
Big Creek Ranger Station is the safest place. I've left it there twice without any problems. You can take, I believe, the Chestnut Trail or something like that which puts you right on the AT. Check a map and you will see!

scope
02-05-2010, 16:04

OK, poke fun at me for caring how much wind I'm going to be sucking based on which way I hike!:p

Hmmm.... big screen TVs, huh? In shelters? yeah, Baby!

Ox97GaMe
02-05-2010, 17:32
The funding for the popcorn was approved, but there are no dollars for microwaves. Something about not being 'Green' enough for the National Park to qualify for funding.

Ox97GaMe
02-05-2010, 17:39
I think the decision should be made on mileage you plan to hike. The problem with hiking in the park is that you have to stay at shelters. It can be planned either way, but you may have to make your final decision based on shelter availability. Icewater is the most used shelter in the park. If you are planning travel to the trail and then hike on the same day (as opposed to staying in GBurg or Cherokee overnight), you may need to do W to E. The hike to Pecks Corner can be more than you want to tackle on a shortened day 1.

The climb out of NFG (1100 vertical ft over 2.5 m) is considerably easier than the climb out of Davenport Gap (2800 vertical ft over 3 miles). But, as stated, once you get on the ridgeline, there isnt much difference either way.

Ox97GaMe
02-05-2010, 17:41
you can also leave your vehicle at Standing Bear Farm and have Curtis shuttle you to the Davenport trialhead. It also gives you an option for place to stay before starting your hike if you prefer.