PDA

View Full Version : Super Early Starters.

Lemni Skate
02-04-2010, 17:31
Every year I see a few people who say they are starting their thru's on Jan.1, Feb. 1 or some other ungodly (in my opinion) cold time of year. Most years I don't think much of it, but we're having one hell of a bad winter here in Virginia and February looks like it might end up shattering our all time snow record. I went up to the trail at the end of December, and it was under three feet of snow two weeks after our big December 18 storm.

We're getting ready to get blasted with well over 20 inches here in the lowlands and I wouldn't be surprised if Shenandoah National Park got 4 feet of snow this weekend (not that many hikers would be this far north yet but Southwest Virginia is usually worse than SNP when it comes to snow and cold).

I am worried and curious about any early starters and wondering if they've had to take major time off the trail this winter or have just packed it in. I hope no one has really ended up in any horrible situations.

It's one thing if it snows and melts and then you can hit the trail again, but I seriously doubt if the trail has been clear of snow very much this winter anywhere. Any stories or news would be interesting.

Helios
02-04-2010, 17:59
I'm starting March 9th, and have been giving this years heavy precipitation much thought. I'm prepared for dealing with this, but hope not to run into too much. Really slows ya' down and give the legs a tough workout. It's all part of what the trail throws at ya'! It can't be all sunny and mild temps.

Cool AT Breeze
02-04-2010, 18:17
We had three hikers here last night. Only one left this morning.

Lemni Skate
02-04-2010, 19:44
When you say they left, do you mean they went back to trail or quit hiking?

Blissful
02-04-2010, 20:47
That snow is gonna hang around too. And more on Tues. They'll be there a long time at that rate. Better see if Winton sells snowshoes. :)

Lemni Skate
02-10-2010, 22:47
Record setting snowfall totals for most of Virginia. Possible snow Saturday and much more likely snow Monday. I've never seen anything like it. Virginia is in the South for crying out loud. I'm moving to Key West. Nah, no hiking trails.

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 22:57
When you say they left, do you mean they went back to trail or quit hiking?
Hiked out NOBO.

modiyooch
02-11-2010, 20:42
I'm glad that you asked the question, because it always amazes me that they start that early. People always say they are starting; and I wonder how many actually have to quit because it was too early. I'm sure if they quit, they don't return to spout their failures.
Although not a thru hike, did you read Tipi's trip report? He was out there by choice for 10-14 days during the snow and artic temps in Jan.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 22:15
It is what you are prepared for. Some of the folks that head out early know exactly what they are heading into. I did a several day hike down from Duncannon with a few others and then camped out at the Pa Ruck at the end of Jan in Pa. The highs never got much above 30's and the lowest I saw would have been just about zero with strong winds.

I felt great and would have been good to keep going but was there for the Ruck and so my hike ended. I went into this know what the weather would be like and so it was not an issue. The problem rests not with early starters but with early starters who do not have the cold weather experience or are prepared for such. I don't see some of them really complaining about what they are into anymore than stating it was cold out.

Lemni Skate
02-13-2010, 15:06
I agree that no weather is a problem if you're prepared for it, but no one would have known what they were in for if they started out in January of this year. Most of the trail south of New York has set records for snowfall in one winter. You don't go out expecting snowfall records to be broken. I'm sure there are many sections of the trail in the South right now that you simply can't do without specialized snow gear like snowshoes or cross country skis (there were a lot of people skiing the Blue Ridge Parkway last month). When I went up to the trail just south of SNP last month there was literally 30 inches of snow on the trail and it we've had 36-48 inches of snow since then. Most winters around here there is usually no snow cover that lasts more than 4 or 5 days.

sasquatch2014
02-13-2010, 17:51
I agree that no weather is a problem if you're prepared for it, but no one would have known what they were in for if they started out in January of this year. Most of the trail south of New York has set records for snowfall in one winter. You don't go out expecting snowfall records to be broken. I'm sure there are many sections of the trail in the South right now that you simply can't do without specialized snow gear like snowshoes or cross country skis (there were a lot of people skiing the Blue Ridge Parkway last month). When I went up to the trail just south of SNP last month there was literally 30 inches of snow on the trail and it we've had 36-48 inches of snow since then. Most winters around here there is usually no snow cover that lasts more than 4 or 5 days.

I agree. I am trying to figure out wether my section hike into Duncannon at the end of this month will be do able with the time I have and not having to go with the Ski or Snow Shoe route. So for the area of Va and up and parts of the Smokies it is way above avg but lets also look at the fact that with the excecption of a very few ie Trek none are up into the heavy snow at this point. Yes there is ice and snow but not the 3 and 4 feet of snow that some areas got.

Jack - Straw
02-13-2010, 18:37
you can start early. I started early last year, midle of Feb, lucked out, everytime the weather turned bad I was approaching a town. I could afford to stay as long as I deemed necesary to not hike in Blizzards. I felt bad for those on budgets that had to go out in weather that was horrible. Although many of them made it to Maine!

Cakon
02-13-2010, 18:38
I'm starting at the end of this month. I've had to add some #'s to the pack but still under 30#'s. Sold my car so I have extra $$ for hostels. Just ordered micro spikes and have my snowshoes boxed and ready to be mailed. I guess I'm just going to have to go all out winter gear. I'm going to try a 20 degree bag with down coat and slippers. Have a Neoair but might add blue pad under. Not so worried about the snow. It is the ice and what happens once the snow melts; Raging river crossings, mud to your knees, and ice ice ice. I hate ice! Snow is great. Cold is expected. A huge melt off is the real problem.

Jack - Straw
02-13-2010, 18:56
i went with a zero bag with a liner, had some 8 degree nights and was good..