PDA

View Full Version : North End of Trail

Magic City
09-21-2004, 18:57
If anyone needs a mail drop on the north end of the trail, we're located next to the post office in Millinocket, Maine, the town nearest to Mount Katahdin. We're open longer hours than the postal service; and for that matter, we live only a block from the cafe and wouldn't mind coming down after hours, if necessary. A few dollars for our time would be nice, but we're not going to be mercenary about it.

For example: Have a clean set of clothing waiting for you at the end of the trail, or even a notebook computer, as one guy did, to catch up on journaling, email, etc. Using your computer and wireless adapter, we don't charge anything for a connection.

Or if you'd like us to ship something home for you that you don't want to take on the plane, and the post office is closed, we can get it out for you when the post office opens.

Mon-Thur 8 am - 8 pm
Fri 8 am - 10 pm
Sat 10 am - 10 pm
Sun - Closed

Magic City Morning Star & Hard Drive Cafe
133 Penobscot Avenue
Millinocket, Maine 04462

Peaks
09-22-2004, 08:10
Magic City,

I suggest that you pass this information along to the editor of the ALDHA Companion so it can get into their publication.

Rain Man
09-22-2004, 13:18
Fri 8 am - 10 pm

Dang, ... I wish we had known about you this past Friday evening, when we were looking for any place open that late for some good grub, after summitting Katahdin and getting back late.

The only places open were McDonalds and Domino's (?) pizza. I had more "local color" in mind, frankly!
:sun
Rain Man

Magic City
09-22-2004, 16:21
We couldn't have given you much in the way of food, as we don't prepare food on the premises, but we do have good coffee and we can get you online fast.

We have a couple of pizza places in town. Angelo's is across the street and just south of us, while Millinocket Pizza is on the east side of town, closer to MacDonalds. Angelo's is sort of a Greek pizza, while Millinocket Pizza more closely resembles Pizza Hut. They're both okay, and we've been known to order pizza to be delivered here from Millinocket Pizza for hikers who don't want to walk all the way to the other side of town. Also, the Scootic Inn (across the street and south of us) has decent food, and I think they're open fairly late.

We're working on an information packet for people who stop by. One might think the Chamber of Commerce might do something like that, but they won't advertise for anyone who won't pay them to advertise for them.

Ken (looking forward to thru-hiking in 2005)