PDA

View Full Version : Tips for dayhike how-to presentation

waywardfool
02-05-2010, 00:58
I am working up a presentation for a photography club about dayhiking. Most of these folks aren't real outside people, but want to know more about comfortably and safely getting to outdoor locations (anywhere from our local parks to mountain trails).

What should be covered?

ten essentials
clothing
footwear and footcare
weather
maps, guides, staying found, S-T-O-P
food and water

Ideas?

sbhikes
02-05-2010, 02:09
Where I live, the most important thing is for people to bring enough water. Most people who are new to hiking bring a tiny pint bottle and insist that's all they need. Then they get in trouble. I always suggest 2 liters and if you don't think you need it, maybe you'll be able to help someone who didn't bring enough.

Marta
02-05-2010, 08:10
Aim low, and once you've hit that goal, try something harder.

The simplest plan is an out-and-back hike. Take the time you have available (starting at 11 and need to be back to the car by five equals six hours), divide by two (three hours), and figure out your turnaround time (two o'clock). Turn around at your turnaround time, even if you have not reached the waterfall, mountaintop, or whatever. If you are running out of water, have something paining you, are developing blisters, whatever, turn around sooner. Park rangers and SAR people are there to rescue people from the consequences of their own stupidity, but calling on their services is a badge of shame, not just a convenience.

The above seems obvious to me, but I am astonished at the number of would-be outdoorspeople who don't understand itl

mountain squid
02-05-2010, 10:02
A word of caution on Marta's advice:

The return trip to the vehicles may not be as easy as the hike in. Depending on fitness level of hikers, it might take longer to hike out. After hiking for 'x' amount of hours, up and over hills, hikers may tend to be tired and move slower (even regardless of fitness of level, actually). So you may have to start the return trip prior to the halfway point of your allotted time.

An example: The hike from Dennis Cove Rd to Laurel Fork Falls is about a mile and a half. The first part is fairly flat and relatively easy. The second part down to the falls is very steep with many rock steps to traverse. Going down is not too bad, and once you make it to the falls, you take a break. Next you have the steep climb out.......anyway, I reckon you get the point.....just something to consider.

A couple more thoughts:
- if hiking as a group, will everyone stay together
- if not staying together, will there be designated stop times to let the group catch up
- if someone needs to stop and turn around, what is the plan (especially if group is not together)
- start with easy, low mileage hikes. If a 10 mi hike is 1st hike, you'll likely be hiking by yourself the next time
- everyone likes to think that they hike 3 miles an hour, but reality is probably less than that
- make sure everyone knows the plans

Anyway, biggest thing is to Have Fun! So be prepared and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

JustaTouron
02-05-2010, 10:21
*** The importance of leaving a travel plan with a loved one and the importantace of sticking with it (especially if alone or in a group smaller than 4).

*** LNT (pack out the toilet paper!)

*** dealing with critters. everying thing from insect repellant to what to if you see a bear.

ki0eh
02-05-2010, 10:22
How about starting with motivation for why to hike? Maybe before-and-after pictures (try to get examples from the better photographers to avoid distractions from criticizing the shots ;) ) for the parking lot shot vs. the walk half a mile in shot.

In the East, following blazes might be something to add to the presentation.

I would also think that photographers might be willing to get off trail a bit for a good angle. This from another area might help a little bit. http://www.nyfalls.com/safety.html

But above all, I'd say to keep the presentation fun and fairly short. Don't stress too much point #7 of the "ten essentials", all those are means to an end of keeping comfortable, safe, and found. When I'm looking at an ice cliff five miles back from the road, I keep in mind what the pilots say, "Landings must equal takeoffs."

Spokes
02-05-2010, 10:23
Didn't see anything on the photography angle..... lot's of options here.

Like what's the best backpacks to accommodate photo equipment, how to protect from the elements in the back country, or even provide a list of online trail journals containing some of the best pictures for them to look at.

Let us know how it goes!