PDA

View Full Version : Daniel's Steakhouse/Buffet

Lone Wolf
09-21-2004, 19:33
Apparently the restaurant in Hiawassee, Ga. has burned down. Learned this on Trailplace. Something to do with hurricane Ivan. Damn! That was a good place to graze.

Dances with Mice
09-21-2004, 20:50
Apparently the restaurant in Hiawassee, Ga. has burned down. Learned this on Trailplace. Something to do with hurricane Ivan. Damn! That was a good place to graze.

It's true. Locals whisper about how some people, no names being mentioned, might have had fire insurance but not flood insurance. The deadliest substance known is small town gossip, y'know?

The Hiawassee all-volunteer fire department was already stressed with high water rescues (and you know how much fire depts in small mountain towns practice that) when the call came in about the fire at the steakhouse during the height of the storm. Wasn't much that could be done, nobody could fight a structure fire in winds like that. Only good news is that Daniel's is kinda isolated so the fire didn't spread.

This spring I chowed down there with crews of thru-hiker candidates shuttled from both Neels Gap and Goose Creek Cabins. Everyone was amazed at their bill - AYCE and drink for less than $7. Hope it reopens.

Flash Hand
09-22-2004, 19:27

Hope they can rebuild them before the next year thru hiker's season

Flash Hand :jump

TankHiker
09-23-2004, 09:43
Wow, that's too bad. That place was the first great AYCE on the trail. It was also the first place I really talked to my girlfriend. I hope they rebuild it.

-TANK

Israel
09-23-2004, 09:47

You know, I used to live in Hiawassee/Young Harris when i was in college. I worked for Daniel when he owned at place on the edge of town...the Barrett House (his last name). The stories I could tell about that kitchen!

Moose2001
01-29-2005, 15:24
Anyone know if Daniel's is going to reopen anytime soon? Being in Hiawassee without Daniel's just doesn't seem right!

Tha Wookie
01-29-2005, 15:54
Bummer. Thanks for passing this along, as I frequent there when I'm at home in GA.

Lone Wolf
01-30-2005, 14:27
Slated to reopen 1 April. I'll be first in line! :D

Moose2001
01-30-2005, 14:34
Yipeee!!! Thanks for the update LW! I'm starting April 6 and looking forward to the buffet!!

halibut15
01-30-2005, 18:06
I'm up in the Young Harris/Hiawassee area a lot lately, and they're coming right along rebuilding it. Looks like it may just make that April 1st date....