PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak just canceled trains

Mrs Baggins
02-05-2010, 09:23
Due to the coming storm it was just announced on Washington DC based 630 WMAL radio that all Amtrak trains southbound from DC have been canceled for at least the day, probably tomorrow as well.

ki0eh
02-05-2010, 09:39
I think they found out over Christmas that there aren't section crews anymore to clear switches in VA.

Mrs Baggins
02-05-2010, 09:50
I think they found out over Christmas that there aren't section crews anymore to clear switches in VA.

Could be. I was just concerned about the people who were going to set off on the train today or over the weekend to get down to Gainesville GA. Southwest Airlines has also canceled all flights out of this area.

littlewalnut
02-05-2010, 10:54
my flight to GA from philly tomarro was canceled and its friday am and there is nothing falling yet

Mrs Baggins
02-05-2010, 12:16
All DC Metro trains will stop all above-ground station service and all buses will cease running when the snow reaches 8 inches. That should be by late tonight - early tomorrow morning (Saturday). Don't know about the bigger MARC trains going into/out of DC, but if Amtrak won't roll then MARC probably won't either. If you're planning to use the metro train to get to Reagan airport for instance, you won't be able to get on or off there after the 8 inches is reached, or if you had planned to use metro buses to get to/from the airports (Dulles and Reagan) you won't be able to. Don't know how taxi companies handle the snow.

Spirit Walker
02-05-2010, 12:27
This would be a bad time to start the trail. Snow this weekend and more snow on Tuesday, with low temperatures in between. Just as well to wait.