PDA

View Full Version : Some potentially bad news.

takethisbread
02-05-2010, 10:42
My ankle injury is not healing. I leave in 7 days for Georgia and it has not improved.
I injured the ankle falling down the steps of the hostel at the pa ruck last week.
I assumed the sprain would heal over time.

A week later, we still have significant pain when landing, and minor pain with every step. And it has major joint weakness.

I am leaving in 7 days regardless, make a go of it. I am cautiously optimistic. It's lack of improvement is just scary.

I just been telling myself that old folks thru-hike this trail, and maybe me with a bum wheel is still stronger than they might be ( in body anyway).

Well, I vented, thanks for listening.

Pedaling Fool
02-05-2010, 10:53
A lot will tell you to cancel, but that's a decision only you can make. I can only say that I have walked through many injuries and came out stronger for it. I almost feel immune to "twisted ankle" type injuries, because of the injuries I've walked off on the AT.

However, I didn't plow through the pain, did easy days and never took advil or anyother type of "medication".

Helios
02-05-2010, 10:54
Take it easy and listen to your body. I know of one hiker who continued on with a stress fracture. He hiked easy, took many rests, and over a few weeks totally healed. All possible, just know when to quit to avoid unecessary long term injury!

GeneralLee10
02-05-2010, 10:57
NP man, Sorry to hear that dude:(. This mite allow for me to catch you now (speedy) hehe. We can eat Frito's and drink some soda together now.

I really do hope you get better. What have you been doing to help the healing process?

Spokes
02-05-2010, 11:04
..... I can only say that I have walked through many injuries and came out stronger for it. I almost feel immune to "twisted ankle" type injuries, because of the injuries I've walked off on the AT.

John, that comment brought back memories and made me chuckle. I walked off my share too and found almost any ankle injury got better after 10 days worth of pain.

As Ann Trason (100 mile ultra run veteran) once said:

"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse".

SawnieRobertson
02-05-2010, 11:05
What's the hurry? Assuming it has been "imaged" and that no fracture was found, it will heal and stay healed if you give it a little tincture of time. RICE now, ankle brace later. Have you read AWOLs account of his sprained ankle, which was apparently a pretty severe one? Do. Good luck, Kinnickinic.

takethisbread
02-05-2010, 11:13
I really do hope you get better. What have you been doing to help the healing process?

Getting drunk and eating! Isn't that prescribed care? Doctor? I haven't seen one nor do I plan on it.

Colter
02-05-2010, 11:23
"Listen to your body," as Joe Cross said, is a bit of wisdom more of us should listen to. It helps prevent and heal injuries. People get sprained ankles often. It will likely be no big deal if you react sensibly. Take good care of it and start slow.

Also, 42 isn't even close to old in the hiking world!

Sailor (The other one)
02-05-2010, 11:27
Forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know or have been told. I'd hate to see you miss your hike. I'm a massage therapist and personal trainer. Assuming you don't have a break or a torn ligament or tendon, you can do a lot of healing in 7 days. Like SR said, RICE now. Rest it. Get off of it. Put it up on a foot stool. Use ice. 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off, repeat as much as you can stand. Do NOT use heat. It'll feel good but not help the healing. When you start hiking, wear a brace, use your poles (if you don't have them, get some) rest it as much as you can and keep icing it (What? On the trail? Use cold spring/stream water, leave some water to freeze outside your shelter, take a zero at Mountain Crossings and get some ice from them.) Eat well, really well. Lots of vitamen C. No junk food, no alcohol, no caffiene, good protein, lots of raw vegetables. Your body needs the good stuff to heal and the bad stuff will just slow it down. Lots of water. Gentle massage can help move blood to the area and that can help to.
Good luck.

GeneralLee10
02-05-2010, 11:33
Getting drunk and eating! Isn't that prescribed care? Doctor? I haven't seen one nor do I plan on it.

The best thing ever:):D, Doctor what's that? I think you will be Okay dude. Like Colter just posted "Take good care of it and start slow."
**** who knows, it mite happen again on this Great Journey. Wimps sit, Men get up and continue on. Adapt Improvise Overcome, Suck it up! no.... not the Beer:)

Buckeye Hike
02-05-2010, 11:35
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Buy a ankle brace that keeps it nice and tight...not an ACE bandage! Some ankle sprains can take 1-2 months to fully heal. So go easy on it or it will get worse. Best of luck!!!

burger
02-05-2010, 11:55
Take it easy and listen to your body. I know of one hiker who continued on with a stress fracture. He hiked easy, took many rests, and over a few weeks totally healed. All possible, just know when to quit to avoid unecessary long term injury!
Bones are easy--you just have to give them time to heal. Tendons can be much more fickle. That's why bad sprains sometimes take months to heal completely and sometimes never quite heal 100%. My advice would be to put off your hike for as long as necessary to get better. Even if you feel better before you go, you could easily have a setback that ends your hike or makes it less fun than it should be.

sasquatch2014
02-05-2010, 12:04
I hope it gets better for you. I am sorry that you the tumble and even more sorry that I wasn't there to laugh and take a picture. You know that even if you have an injury you are still required to carry all your own beer for the Duncannon 24! At least if it's really cold you can use it to ice your ankle.

garlic08
02-05-2010, 12:06
Best of luck to you. Don't worry about making an illogical decision--what's a thru hike if not an illogical decision? You will make many more questionable choices on a thru hike. If you don't, you won't finish the hike, ever. Definitely, listen to your body, and don't medicate yourself to toxic numbness.

Spirit Walker
02-05-2010, 12:11
Given the weather forecast for this week (two snowstorms) you might want to wait a bit before heading out. Walking in snow, slush and snowmelt is hard enough when you have two good ankles. If you've given up your apartment - can you find a friend to host you for a week or two?

That said, the day I started my PCT thruhike I sprained my ankle, 1/2 mile into the hike. It wasn't a bad sprain - no bruising, just swelling. I decided that rather than hang out in Campo for a week, I'd hike slowly. It took about two weeks to stop hurting, and there is some permanent damage to the ankle, but I was able to continue my hike. But that was a desert hike, where it was easy to sit down and rest when I needed to. In cold and snow, rest can be a real problem.

The Flatulator
02-05-2010, 12:54
I am in the same camp as "Burger" I would suggest postponing the hike for at least a month or so. The extra strain of your pack weight, thre trudging through the snow you will encounter and the slips on the ice you will invariably take will only agravate your condition. Been there. Done that! A strain is one thing; a sprain is much more serious. You may be leaving in seven days, but you will be back seven days after that. The Trail takes its toll even on the healthy. I am leaving in April. You may do well to do the same. Wishing you the best!

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2010, 13:20
Spirit Walker beat me to it.....in addition to the wise advice from so many people telling you to rest up and heal (i.e. do NOT leave for Georgia in a week!), keep in mind that there's about to be a tremendous storm in the Southeast. This will make for tougher hiking for folks who AREN'T nursing a bum leg, plus if the weather is really awful, you won't be travelling much anyway, so if you're gonna be holed up and not moving for several days in Neel Gap, Helen, or Hiawassee or wherever, you may as well spend this down time at home. The Trail isn't going anywhere. I'd wait at least 2-3 weeks and start out at the end of the month or early March.

weary
02-05-2010, 13:25
I read a piece recently -- I think it was Outside Magazine -- that claimed the latest medical research suggests that such mishaps heal faster with a bit of exercise.

I know that I have had a lot of such mishaps over the years. But I can't remember taking time off for any of them to heal. Now I have most of the pains and ills -- a couple incurable, but not life threatening -- associated with old age. But I walked through the snow and ice up hill and down a couple of days ago, and plan another walk on the ice over an ancient canal Sunday afternoon. The long abandoned, Revolutionary War era, canal connects an ocean embayment with the Kennebec River. History buffs like to walk it every year about this time.

My wife is a volunteer income tax aide for AARP. Tomorrow she'll spend the day at the local senior center. When she told me, I thought to myself. "Senior Center? I wonder how people find time to go to such places?"

My Wednesday walk was partly to see if I could still do five miles in the wind and cold at a reasonable pace. I frequently do such walks by my self, but I don't like to slow other people down on such excursions.

Weary

dgaf169
02-05-2010, 13:27
I will be at amicalola lodge on the 12th. My mom decided she wanted to see me off so she will be there also...she just happens to be a phyisical therpist with over 30 years experience, if you would like her to take a look at it and give you some advice on how reduce the chance of more damage I'm sure she wouldn't mid doin that. PM if that's something you would like and we can figure out where/when to meet.

JJJ
02-05-2010, 13:47
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

I'd ixnay on the Ice part at this point in favor of heat to increase circulation, assuming swelling is mostly gone.

You can do this if you go easy, you're already in decent shape, and it doesn't get worse after a few days to a week.
But to be honest, my last bad sprain took a couple of months to finally clear up. Partly I guess because I didn't take the time off to let it heal early on and I'm over fifty.
YMMV

ShelterLeopard
02-05-2010, 13:55
Spirit Walker beat me to it.....in addition to the wise advice from so many people telling you to rest up and heal (i.e. do NOT leave for Georgia in a week!), keep in mind that there's about to be a tremendous storm in the Southeast. This will make for tougher hiking for folks who AREN'T nursing a bum leg, plus if the weather is really awful, you won't be travelling much anyway, so if you're gonna be holed up and not moving for several days in Neel Gap, Helen, or Hiawassee or wherever, you may as well spend this down time at home. The Trail isn't going anywhere. I'd wait at least 2-3 weeks and start out at the end of the month or early March.

Besides Digger, if you wait, I might actually get to see you. (As you go whizzing by...) There's pretty much no way I'll catch up to you if you leave before me, even on a lame ankle! :) Hope you feel better,

-ShLep

Blissful
02-05-2010, 13:56
It depends on the grade of your sprain. I strongly suggest you give it time to heal. The trail is not going anywhere. But if you reinjure it (which can definitely happen, esp if you haven't even begun the hike), it could spell the end of your hike altogether. I sprained mine on the trail in MA and had to wait nearly 3 weeks. Be patient, ice it, do the ankle strengthening exercises to strengthen it, when you can walk up steep inclines without pain with your pack, you are ready to go.

JustaTouron
02-05-2010, 14:00
If a sprain doesn't show any improvment in a week it becomes time to get it looked out to see if it might actually be a fracture.

Give it time to heal, the trail ain't going anywhere...it will still be in the same location in a month from now...maybe with a bit less snow and ice.

Blissful
02-05-2010, 14:01
I
...it will still be in the same location in a month from now...maybe with a bit less snow and ice.

Best advice ever and maybe a blessing in disguise...

sasquatch2014
02-05-2010, 14:05
If you have to hold off then I think you should get out near the end of Feb to test it out and see who it's coming along. There are stairs at the Doyle and you can test out how you do on them at the Winter Warmer.

Spokes
02-05-2010, 15:27
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation......

Here's another one:

Pain is
Temporary
Glory is
Forever

Evil Knieval said that.

Doooglas
02-05-2010, 15:30
Do it ! Go. Take it slow and easy.
Go see a podiatrist, not some stooge GP, and get him to show you how to properly wrap your foot/ankle.
If you don't do it right your knee will take over the load and you'll fry it too.

takethisbread
02-05-2010, 15:37
I love all the advice.

I must emphasize that I cannot put off the hike till
Later, it's simply a matter of I have to be done by summer. Work is calling.

I won't see a doctor, because they will tell me I have a torn ligament or something and
Tell me I need three months rest or something. Won't happen.

I have an extreme high pain threshold so the fact this bothers me, is a bit scary. The fact that it is not improving Is bad. I will try many more of these avenues of healing.

Dgaf's mom can massage it?! Terriffic.

And yea Sasquatch I wish I got that picture too!

Jester2000
02-05-2010, 16:03
I'd recommend pushing the start back a couple of weeks. I've hiked on a stress fracture, sprained ankles, tendonitis, and a number of other maladies. It's possible, but not that fun. And with conditions the way they're expected to be, the chances of further injury -- you're favoring that leg, causing an imbalance, leading to a fall -- are greater.

But I wouldn't wait too long. You can hike on an injury -- if injuries automatically ejected people from the trail the success rate would be something like 1%.

You need to have a bit of tolerance for pain, which I have.

And you need to be as dumb as me.

Jester2000
02-05-2010, 16:08
Just saw your new post. Give it a week if you can. And if you know any coaches or trainers, they'll also be able to show you how to properly wrap an ankle.

If not, here's a link:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/86495-overview

The alternating of the strips is the important part. I also like the fact that they refer to it as "prophylactic ankle wrapping." Heh heh heh.

Praha4
02-05-2010, 21:21
read Awol on the Appalachian Trail... he hiked the north half of the AT during his 2003 thru hike using an air-cast on one ankle after a serious ankle sprain on rocks in Maryland

nox
02-05-2010, 21:43
I hope it gets better for you before you head out. If it's any consolation my knee is still hurting from our hike that week. Try to start slow, I know you probably won't, but at least try to. Are you sure you hurt it falling or was it working the brake/gas pedals on that big ass truck??? Good luck!!

thelowend
02-05-2010, 22:16
Bones are easy--you just have to give them time to heal. Tendons can be much more fickle. That's why bad sprains sometimes take months to heal completely and sometimes never quite heal 100%. My advice would be to put off your hike for as long as necessary to get better. Even if you feel better before you go, you could easily have a setback that ends your hike or makes it less fun than it should be.

I second that. Personal experience with bad sprains.. don't push it..

weary
02-06-2010, 19:45
....You can hike on an injury -- if injuries automatically ejected people from the trail the success rate would be something like 1%.

You need to have a bit of tolerance for pain, which I have..
Well, I pretty much agree with Jester, at least for this part of his most recent post. Those interested in less immedient concerns over such ideals, should read on. Not that I have a clue about what those may be.

Weary

Doctari
02-06-2010, 21:40
As mentioned: "RICE" as much as you can. I second the brace, but try to leave it off when you can; a brace may prevent further injury, but can also impede healing by making the body part think "all is well". Even after you heal (My last sprain was 25 years ago) you will need to pay attention to EVERY step: foot as flat as possibly, weight centered, step, repeat on the other foot. I will, and do (if moderately safe to do so), fall to avoid twisting either ankle again.
The first section of the AT is fairly easy with a good well worn tread-way & ample camping sites. If I was starting with an ankle like yours, I would take 2 days to get to Hawk Mt (Then Justus creek, Gooch Mt, etc.). You will still get mileage, but maybe save your overall hike.

I would, even if I felt fine, plan on a day of RICE at Neel's Gap.

Over cautious? You bet!! But, would you rather start slow & take a day off early on, or re-injure yourself?

sasquatch2014
02-06-2010, 22:38
I suggest large amounts of Wild Turkey to help keep everything loose!:D

Panzer1
02-06-2010, 22:59
Foot and ankle injuries always take a lot of time to heal.

Panzer :(

Bronk
02-07-2010, 04:18
Carry a few extra days worth of food...if you get into a situation where you simply can't make anymore forward motion you'll be glad you did.

Jofish
02-07-2010, 17:31
I bet it would be possible for you to finish your hike. But my guess is that it wouldn't be that enjoyable.

I sprained my ankle really bad once and it took 4 months for me to be able to walk without pain. And that was just walking around (not climbing mountains) and without a pack on my back. I honestly would rather break my leg than go through that again.

takethisbread
02-07-2010, 17:35
I was able to go downstairs today without using the railing for the first time yet today.

Things are looking up

sasquatch2014
02-07-2010, 17:58
I was able to go downstairs today without using the railing for the first time yet today.

Things are looking up

See the good news is the stairs on the approach trail you will be going up not down.

Have you thought of trying to do your hike with a walker not poles? you could even have a little basket for your Fritos!:D

sasquatch2014
02-07-2010, 17:59
maybe something like this.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/OlJ8ylM1DbonnpbvfA8sbJH6_400.jpg

stranger
02-08-2010, 01:57
You still have a week, stay off it and do whatever you need to do, worst case scenario you put it off another couple weeks, not a big deal overall.

nox
02-08-2010, 09:22
sasquatch, that things sweet! plus it won't take up any room inside his pack. He'll still be at 22 lbs, haha..

takethisbread
02-09-2010, 19:50
Hikes today for first time. 2 miles. 300 foot drop then climb. It went good. Going down the mountains will be slow. I will have to start early in the AM and baby it a bit during the day. I'll be ready to go Sunday on the Approach trail.

HeartFire
02-09-2010, 20:08
Ice is god for the first 24 hrs after an injury. After that, what ever inflammation is going to happen has happened. (ice in the first 24 hrs helps reduce the amt. of inflammation) After the first 24 hrs, you can apply heat (and yes it DOES feel good). After exercising or walking around you can apply ice again for 2o min or so to help reduce inflamation kicked up by the exercise.

But, overall, heat really is good for it, brings increased circulation to the area and promotes healing. Good blood flow, good oxygen etc is needed for healing.

Use ice. 20 minutes on, 40 minutes off, repeat as much as you can stand. Do NOT use heat. It'll feel good but not help the healing.

HeartFire
02-09-2010, 20:13
if you decide you need an ankle brace, This is a good one,
http://www.orthoticsandbeyond.com/p-68-aircast-a60-ankle-brace.aspx
I messed up my ankle a few months before I headed out on the trail, my ortho doctor got me this brace (first he laughed when I told him I was going hiking, then he said, "well, you have to wear a brace")

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 20:38
Hikes today for first time. 2 miles. 300 foot drop then climb. It went good. Going down the mountains will be slow. I will have to start early in the AM and baby it a bit during the day. I'll be ready to go Sunday on the Approach trail.

Both Nox and I agree you need to be sporting the Walker at least until Neels gap for a shake out and see what they say there about this being extra gear.:rolleyes: A walker can't weigh anymore than 24 cans of beer. Think of it as training for The Duncannon 24! Come on you can do it think of the photo ops!:)

Shelp said she would carry it the rest of the way to Mt K. You have seen the way she Man Handles the water cubes!:eek: Just think of the picture titles you can post! Shelp be warned!:D

Blissful
02-09-2010, 21:01
I will have to start early in the AM and baby it a bit during the day. I'll be ready to go Sunday on the Approach trail.

Hope so...

Taking a real chance by not waiting another week or two. Its tough out there.

Blissful
02-09-2010, 21:07
Ice is god for the first 24 hrs after an injury. After that, what ever inflammation is going to happen has happened. (ice in the first 24 hrs helps reduce the amt. of inflammation) After the first 24 hrs, you can apply heat (and yes it DOES feel good). After exercising or walking around you can apply ice again for 2o min or so to help reduce inflamation kicked up by the exercise.

But, overall, heat really is good for it, brings increased circulation to the area and promotes healing. Good blood flow, good oxygen etc is needed for healing.

I totally disagree with heat, esp for this injury. No Sports Dr I have been to advocated heat application. Always ice massage. Ice draws down the inflammation so fresh blood CAN access the injury (after the massage) as fluids in the tissue can restrict flow. You can get swelling on an ankle injury for weeks afterward (I did). The only time I had any warmth was in a whirlpool in PT. But I always had ice massage after that. I still use ice when my tendonitis from an old injury flairs up. Works every time.

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 21:13
I am not saying heat or Ice I am saying take a walker hike on it and when you get hurt take lots of pictures for Nox and I to enjoy. It's funny when friends are in pain. I don't know why but it just is.

takethisbread
02-09-2010, 21:25
I am not saying heat or Ice I am saying take a walker hike on it and when you get hurt take lots of pictures for Nox and I to enjoy. It's funny when friends are in pain. I don't know why but it just is.
yes, other peoples suffering is always a source of great humor and inspiration for all!

superman
02-09-2010, 21:30

In 2000 I hiked with a guy who had a very bad motorcycle accident. He had a lot of trouble going up or down stairs. The doctor told him to accept it. Instead he hiked the AT. Not only did he finish but it cured his wlking limitations.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2010, 21:35
The weather forecast for North Georgia for most of the week ahead is cold, cloudy, windy, with intermittent snow.

And that's for Blairsville which is a lot lower elevation than the Trail.

If I were scheduled to start out in the next few days I'd sure look for a reason to hold back a bit, but that's just me, or I'd expect to spend a lot of time and a lot of money spending unplanned extra time in town, like Neel Gap or Hiawassee.

In short, what's the hurry?

But that's just me.

Frosty
02-09-2010, 21:54
I won't see a doctor, because they will tell me I have a torn ligament or something If you don't know about it, it doesn't exist :D

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 22:02
The weather forecast for North Georgia for most of the week ahead is cold, cloudy, windy, with intermittent snow.

And that's for Blairsville which is a lot lower elevation than the Trail.

If I were scheduled to start out in the next few days I'd sure look for a reason to hold back a bit, but that's just me, or I'd expect to spend a lot of time and a lot of money spending unplanned extra time in town, like Neel Gap or Hiawassee.

In short, what's the hurry?

But that's just me.

yeah but your talking to a guy who just sectioned more than 300 miles of trail in the NE during the months of Jan and Feb. I am not sure Digger would know what to do if he were warm when he got into camp!:D

Enjoy you short legged Waffle House eating freak you!

Wish I was out there with you. Keep me posted so if I can run away in early spring that I may be able to catch you for a day or two before you blow by me.

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 23:14
You can do it! We'll all make a point of falling down the stairs at the Doyle in your honor!

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 23:18
You can do it! We'll all make a point of falling down the stairs at the Doyle in your honor!

We will do it with egg sandwich in hand.

Praha4
02-09-2010, 23:31
if it serves as any motivation for one in pain, in August when I hiked it...there was a soda machine outside the public rest rooms at the top of the Amicalola Falls approach trail staircase that had Pepsi... and ORANGE SODA

takethisbread
02-10-2010, 13:14
if it serves as any motivation for one in pain, in August when I hiked it...there was a soda machine outside the public rest rooms at the top of the Amicalola Falls approach trail staircase that had Pepsi... and ORANGE SODA

ah! Hopefully sunkist orange soda!

My ankle hurts bad, it's a real stupid idea to hike the AT now, but that strangely attracts me more to doing it. :)
I started in Massachusetts and just did a few hundred miles of trail up here, and that was apparently a stupid idea, which has worked out ok.

I may have to take a few days off here and there, but I'll be fine, and if I'm not, there will just be more time to get drunk this spring. Win-win!

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 13:26

My ankle hurts bad, it's a real stupid idea to hike the AT now, but that strangely attracts me more to doing it. :)
I started in Massachusetts and just did a few hundred miles of trail up here, and that was apparently a stupid idea, which has worked out ok.

I may have to take a few days off here and there, but I'll be fine, and if I'm not, there will just be more time to get drunk this spring. Win-win!

You'll be fine. Here are somethings I did when my foot was broken on the AT, and when I had an ankle sprain on the PCT:

-- keep it wrapped. Consider picking up some sort of brace if you're having problems.

-- try to avoid painkillers if possible (it makes it hard to listen to your body), although some sort of anti-inflammatory may be necessary.

-- sleep with your legs up on your pack to reduce swelling after a long day of hiking. This will also enable you to get your shoe on the next day without a shoehorn.

-- don't be afraid to take an extra day off in town, and when you do, STAY OFF YOUR FEET. I know too many hikers who take a zero to rest injuries who still hobble around all day, sometimes staying on their feet even longer than they would have if on trail.

-- use poles, and try not to overcompensate for the injury (I know this is hard), because walking weird tends to cause injuries in other places.

-- don't let anyone change your trail name to "The Gimp," "Gimpy," "Limpy," or any variations of those.

You can do it! Don't forget to get drunk when you hit town!

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 08:54
Privately I will be referring to you as Stair-master.

icemanat95
02-11-2010, 09:43

I'm not sure why you won't go to the doctor for this. Maybe it is just a sprain, but it's really not acting like one if it's not getting at least a little better yet.

Torn ligaments are no joke, and ignoring them usually leads to worse injury down the line. Why not rule them out?

If it's a sprain and the doctor tells you not to hike yet, you can always ignore him/her. If it's a torn ligament, you can move toward getting it fixed. Save the tough-guy stuff for something that really matters like an injury that occurs on the trail 50 miles from anywhere.

Also, be aware that with a bum ankle, you are going to be going slower, and probably doing shorter (distance) with more hiking time during the day. That means you are going to consume more food between town stops, which translates to more weight on your back and more stress on your ankle. If you carry conventional hiker food (high carbs, low to no protein) this means your diet will not tend to support healing, and your ankle could get worse rather than better. You could easily trade a delay of two weeks in the start of your hike to ensure proper healing, to having to call off your hike altogether because you didn't rest it another week or so and went out and destroyed it.

I know the temptation here, the impatience to get started. You plan a thru-hike for years and a delay of even a week seems completely unimagineable, but delaying for that week or two or three, could save your hike, and mean the difference between enjoying every minute of your first month on the trail and being in misery.

When I started my hike in 1995, I had two or three cracked ribs. Not broken through, but nicely cracked, so they moved a bit more with each breath than they wanted to. It hurt, but it was bearable, and not part of the drive train, so what the hell. I strained my knee coming into Erwin, TN, and it forced a nearly week long stop to heal it and then a couple slow weeks afterward to rehab it. You are starting with an injury to your drive train, that's gonna be a problem.

Take some extra time to get it healing, and see a doctor to rule out serious injury...you can always ignore his or her advice.

Tuney
02-11-2010, 09:58
I'm not sure why you won't go to the doctor for this. Maybe it is just a sprain, but it's really not acting like one if it's not getting at least a little better yet....

I've been following this thread for several days and wondering why not just go for an Xray to rule out a fracture or something more serious?

DapperD
02-11-2010, 20:26
My ankle hurts bad, it's a real stupid idea to hike the AT nowI think you answered your own question. I don't understand, as other's here have stated, that if your ankle is continuing to cause you great pain, why you don't go to a doctor and have it diagnosed? I can understand the idea of physically walking, working, etc... thru a slight pain or soreness, but ignoring real pain resulting from a major injury to your ankle, and then attempting a thru-hike?:-?

takethisbread
02-11-2010, 20:44
Okay I got to comment on the great concern for my situation. It's appreciated.

There is three things at work here that most should know:

1. I don't play power forward for the Boston Celtics- further damaging a truck drivers ankle is not that debilitating.

2. I have to be done before summer, so I do it now or next year or whatever.

3. Hiking is fun for me. If it's not fun I will stop. It's not a big deal at all. There is no death penalty for stopping because you are injured.

4. I'll be fine. It only hurts real bad when landing hard. I limp but if it only hurts real bad when I am going down, I figure I got 50% of this trail licked;)

5. I just hiked a great deal in January in the northeast, 300 miles in the past couple. Months, I been through some tough days. It'll be cool.

6. Thanks for all the good advice. I have been following a lot of it.

7. Get drunk: the pain goes away faster

takethisbread
02-11-2010, 20:45
Yes I realize that was 7 things

Jester2000
02-11-2010, 21:38
I think you answered your own question.

Not really. Attempting a thru-hike is always a pretty stupid thing to do.

. . . There is no death penalty for stopping because you are injured. . .

Um, there are new rules concerning this, and depending on the circumstances you may actually be put down for quitting due to injury. But I understand that the methods used to do so are quite humane, and plus, you know, more beer for me.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 21:56
Not really. Attempting a thru-hike is always a pretty stupid thing to do.

Um, there are new rules concerning this, and depending on the circumstances you may actually be put down for quitting due to injury. But I understand that the methods used to do so are quite humane, and plus, you know, more beer for me.

It's ok because it is a public execution at a Billviile event Digger you'll enjoy right to the end when Tricks administer the death blow via Mombo! :eek: