PDA

View Full Version : north carolina section

tagg
02-05-2010, 16:03
my next section hike will be from deep gap to fontana dam the first week in may. i'm trying to get a general idea of realistic daily mileage, but have learned from experience that elevation maps don't always tell the entire story. which climbs did you find to be the most difficult in this particular section, and which stretches were the easiest?

daddytwosticks
02-05-2010, 17:23
Hardest- climb out of Stechoa (sic) Gap. Easiest - Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap. :)

Ox97GaMe
02-05-2010, 17:26
There are several climbs in this stretch that will get your attention. I think most hikers probably hate the climb up to Wayah Bald. The climb out of NOC to Cheoah Bald is not too fun either.

Easiest section is probably from Brown Fork shelter to Walker Gap. That is not a bad stretch. Still some small ups and downs, but pretty easy compared to the constant long ups and downs in that stretch.

Also be aware that there a lot of really steep downhills in that stretch too. Most hikers complain more about the downhill than the uphill in that area.

scope
02-05-2010, 17:30
My knowledge is only of the first half. Beyond the knowns (Albert, out of Wesser & Stecoah), I can tell you Standing Indian is rather mild for the actual elevation gained, and the climb out of Winding Stair Gap up to Siler is a bit of a trudge, much more so than the similar mileage up to Wayah Bald.

Cookerhiker
02-05-2010, 17:31
Hardest- climb out of Stechoa (sic) Gap. Easiest - Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap. :)

Agree with Daddytwosticks about the easiest but I think the hardest ascent is out of the NOC to Cheoah Bald. I will say that from Stekoah Gap to Fontana has lots of short but steep knobs the kind where one can easily slip on dry leaves.

Cookerhiker
02-05-2010, 17:33
My knowledge is only of the first half. Beyond the knowns (Albert, out of Wesser & Stecoah), I can tell you Standing Indian is rather mild for the actual elevation gained, and the climb out of Winding Stair Gap up to Siler is a bit of a trudge, much more so than the similar mileage up to Wayah Bald.

Agree - I found it paradoxical that although Standing Indian is the highest point south of the Smokies, the ascent up at least from the south wasn't hard at all.

daddytwosticks
02-05-2010, 17:39
Standing Indian is a pussycat...:) I go back and hike this mountain many times. Beautiful area of the trail.

Pedaling Fool
02-05-2010, 17:39
Go to your local gym and workout on this machine (http://www.treadmillreview.net/NordicTrack-X10-Incline-Trainer.html) and you'll be ready for anything in NC.

Ox97GaMe
02-05-2010, 17:47
Standing Indian is easy if you are hiking the AT and start at Deep Gap. If you start at the campground and take the trail that goes up the side of the mountain, it gets your full attention.

Having switchbacks up the mountain make a world of difference too. I think that is why the climbs like Wayah and Stecoah seem so much more difficult. Straight up the side of the mountain. Few or no switchbacks on those climbs yet.

Egads
02-05-2010, 18:14
15 to 20 mpd is not too hard. 20 to 30 mpd is doable. Depends on your fitness, pack weight, trail conditions, and style

Blissful
02-05-2010, 18:57
Stecoah is tough. Allow time for this section.

Blissful
02-05-2010, 18:58
Standing Indian is a pussycat...:) I go back and hike this mountain many times. Beautiful area of the trail.

Agree. it was easy.

Praha4
02-05-2010, 21:10
that Nordic track machine looks like the machine used in Rocky IV by that Russian dude

10-K
02-05-2010, 21:58
Go to your local gym and workout on this machine (http://www.treadmillreview.net/NordicTrack-X10-Incline-Trainer.html) and you'll be ready for anything in NC.

The gym I go to just got one of these: http://www.jacobsladderexercise.com/home.html

I'm in pretty good shape and this thing kicks by tail in 5 minutes.

Chaco Taco
02-05-2010, 22:05
Awesome awesome hike. Try to average 12-15 a day.