PDA

View Full Version : What response did you get...

4shot
02-05-2010, 16:36
when you told others you were planning a thru-hike? I would say that 99% of the people that I know professionally or socially have never had a pack on their backs. Many have never even heard of the Trail.Given that, I have been sort of reluctant to let people know what my plans are. So, I have finally gotten around to telling people what I plan to be doing this spring through early fall. The responses have been pretty funny. When I mentioned to a friend that I was planning on walking from Ga. to Maine he said it would be dangerous with all the traffic. I explained to him what the AT was and he was in shock (his idea of camping is pulling his 40 ft. trailer to the lake). A lady at church asked if there were hotels on the trail. Some have suggested carrying a shotgun and eating the occasional rabbit or squirrel or for self defense. Comments (half kidding) about mid-life crisis' plus a sense that some are skeptical or envious.After the initial shock wears off, I am grateful that almost everyone has been supportive. I find that others have some other similar goal or objective that they have been dreaming about for a long time so I feel very grateful to have this opportunity.

So, what did your friends/coworkers/spouses/parents say or how did they react when you told them about your hike?

superman
02-05-2010, 16:46
The first time I did it in 2000 it was taken as proof that I was nuts (as if proof was needed). A friend discreetly slipped me a small pistol to take (as if I don't have my own or would carry the extra weight). The last time when I told people that I was going to hike from GA to ME they said OK but then asked me if I wanted to do something with them in the following week. This time everyone wasn't surprised in the slightest. The only questions I've had are "when am I leaving" and "how can they send me a care package."

Powder River
02-05-2010, 16:57
The first time I did it in 2000 it was taken as proof that I was nuts (as if proof was needed). A friend discreetly slipped me a small pistol to take (as if I don't have my own or would carry the extra weight). The last time when I told people that I was going to hike from GA to ME they said OK but then asked me if I wanted to do something with them in the following week. This time everyone wasn't surprised in the slightest. The only questions I've had are "when am I leaving" and "how can they send me a care package."

Funny that reminds me I kept getting emails or phone calls from people around May or June asking if I was done with my hike yet and can I make it to some get together.

Everyone was extremely supportive though. I had a lot of people reading along.

JustaTouron
02-05-2010, 17:00
So far my wife has been very supportive...but my hike is 8-12 years away, she might just be humoring me figuring there is no point in being disagreeable this far in the future and might just be hoping I change my mind and do something less crazy.

The kids have been mixed. Two think that I am already too old to do something like this and by the time I do it I will be "ancient". One is incredibly supportive and want to hike Katahdin with me to be there when I finish.

Haven't told anyone else.

Mrs Baggins
02-05-2010, 17:12
While we ended up getting off the trail in less than 2 weeks, the responses we got before going were usually rolled eyes, the "scared cow" look when the eyes get really big and the person sort of rears back in fear from you, the same "are there hotels?", would we carry a gun, how would we find enough food, was it possible to go 6 months without a bath, (judging from some hikers we've met, the answer is apparently yes).....pretty much everyone gets the same kinds of reactions I think. Some were very supportive, others not at all. But the mere fact that we set out to do it and we at least tried shut many of the nay sayers up. They didn't think we'd take it that far.

Hobbot
02-05-2010, 17:40
Most people have been supportive, but I have eased my friends and coworkers into the idea by first doing the Long Trail. My family have always been hikers (my uncle did 95% of the AT 20-something years ago), so it wasn't a surprise to them.

But, I am amused by the responses. Inevitably, people will ask "are you going with anyone?" or "are you bringing a cell phone?" or "is it safe?" or "how do you get food?". The best was the response from my a coworker when another coworker mentioned it: "is he really going to take 6-weeks off of work to do the whole trail?" :eek:

Mags
02-05-2010, 17:43
I live in Colorado. Take off a few months to go hiking? Cool....

Then they'll tell you about the trip they are taking to Nepal, or the Andes, or how they wish they could get laid-off.

:sun

garlic08
02-05-2010, 19:17
Most common reaction for the AT? "Oh yeah, I read that book." (Bryson, of course).
Most common reaction for the PCT? "Enjoy the Pacific Coast Trail, that should be nice."
Most common reaction for the CDT? "You out of your mind?"

drifters quest
02-06-2010, 23:49
Hmmm, I suppose my responses have been fairly typical. Many people in the west have never heard of the AT, the rest suggest I read "A Walk in the Woods". Some are surprised I sleep in a tent at night and wonder how i'm gonna take a shower and carry six months of food. Being that i'm in Wyoming many people are shocked I won't be carrying a gun (or pepper spray). Then I also get the "better you than me!" response. From people who are avid hikers I get a bit of envy with no concerns. My mom has been supportive but nervous(with all the adventures my twin has had the AT is almost nothing!). She is hoping our house sells this Spring so she can road trip the last part of my trip as I hike. My dad and twin wish they were doing it with me, my little sister knows me so wasn't shocked. I have gotten some odd reccomendations of gear to carry.

Roughin' It
02-07-2010, 00:04
I am in the process of telling everyone right now, especially tonight as I saw alot of people at my sister's wedding. I had not one negative or unsupportive comment. Everyone I told was very excited for me and just wanted to know more about my planning, and how I will go about things. Even my grandparents. Several people I talked to had planned on doing it at one point in their life, which was sometimes surprising to hear. I have told many many people, and only a few people so far have given me the "are you crazy/serious?" look.

So far, very encouraging feedback.

sbhikes
02-07-2010, 00:06
I live in Colorado. Take off a few months to go hiking? Cool....

Then they'll tell you about the trip they are taking to Nepal, or the Andes, or how they wish they could get laid-off.

:sun
I live in Santa Barbara, which is an outdoors paradise (so long as you don't need snow to enjoy the outdoors). The responses were similar. I did get a few "Did you read Bill Bryson's book?" questions and the occasional former outward bound student who had to give me lectures. :rolleyes:

paradoxb3
02-07-2010, 14:22
Maybe its that my family/friends are just overly paranoid about danger, but I have had the gun talk, nay, the gun ARGUEMENT with almost everyone i know, to the point that its caused alot of friction. In fact when i leave on my thru, i'm considering stopping 1 mile up the trail and unloading my pack just to make sure i'm not carrying 10 extra lbs of guns and ammo slipped into my pack while i wasnt looking.

Aside from this paranoia that all hikers wander into the woods and none are ever seen again, and the common "are you crazy" and "how far is that/how long will it take" questions, the next biggest i get is "how will you carry enough to eat?"

I understand that alot of people arent as aware of trail life as we are, but how is it people belive you can spend almost half a year walking across america, and not come across a road, or store or something?

Appalachian Tater
02-07-2010, 14:25
Some people didn't believe me and considered it totally out of character for me to do a long-distance hike. One friend thought I was spoofing area codes on his caller ID the first couple of times I called from the trail. Another friend thought it was one of my practical jokes until she got a postcard cancelled from a place with no airport.

GeneralLee10
02-07-2010, 14:35
Some say your crazy, some say do it, some say No way!

I like this quote " people who are to weak to follow their Dreams, will always find a way to discourage yours".

BrianLe
02-07-2010, 14:52
"Some people didn't believe me and considered it totally out of character for me to do a long-distance hike."

At least in our culture, it seems like people can be convinced that at least some folks do this sort of thing. I hiked a while with a young fellow from Germany on the PCT, and he said that everyone back home just flat didn't believe he was walking over 4000 kilometres from Mexico to Canada --- they all just sort of 'knew' that nobody walks that far and that he must therefore have been making it up.

Johnny Appleseed
02-08-2010, 01:33
when dating my ex she said she'd be ok w/ a long hike a 5 months of being gone. She gets summers off and might see me, but will not keep up so only 1 week w/ her.

Then I became a trucker and I'd be home at least once a month tell I got started, then more often. W/in 1 month I was dumped flat on the duff for some other guy-he was vietnamese.

But my family was supportive. We travel exponentially more then the average family. I even had gear given to me. No I am not thinking of dating my family members, lol.

thelowend
02-08-2010, 03:21
All very supportive so far. My boss said I could have however much time off in 2011 that I needed to hike it as long as I was back by the holidays so that was the main motivation (next to the obvious motive of needing to just do it). My parents are also quite supportive. cant wait.....

Helios
02-08-2010, 06:44
Most recently someone asked me "where are you going to use the bathroom?" My facial expression must have really thrown them. I was thinking "Yes! My turn to be asked all of these fun questions."

I've dreamed for years of hiking this trail. I've heard from other thru's all of the interesting questions they get asked. I'm thrilled that it's my turn, and find it rather enjoyable. Sort of part of the experience.

I can't wait to be on the trail and someone ask me "Are you a thru hiker?" Especially after the numerous times I've had to respond "no, just out for a few days." - MY turn now, and I relish it!

paradoxb3
02-08-2010, 11:19
...I can't wait to be on the trail and someone ask me "Are you a thru hiker?" Especially after the numerous times I've had to respond "no, just out for a few days." - MY turn now, and I relish it!

hahaha, I know exactly how you feel. I've hiked Springer to NC and vice versa several times, and mostly during NOBO season, and it sucks so bad to tell the excited faces "no, i'm just out for the week/weekend." I'm so proud to finally be able to say "YES!!!" this year!

stranger
02-08-2010, 17:36
Most people don't like going to a new supermarket or gas station, so needless to say change is difficult, especially big change...

Most people live the following life in varied order:
- Graduate/leave high school
- Go to college/get a job
- Work crappy job #1
- Work crappy job #2
- Go into debt
- Meet the guy/girl
- Buy a house/rent a house
- Have kids
- Go into debt more
- Work crappy job #3
- Retire
- Hopefully travel around and see some sights in your 60's
- Die

So anything that breaks that cookie cutter life will generally be questioned and challenged...and that's cool because it shows that others are questioning their decisions, but please don't expect others to appreciate the fact that you are choosing to live your life, and it might be too late for them to do the same. You will be challenged, not because of what you are doing, but because of what you represent...ambition, change, adventure, embracing fear, etc...

That's uncomfortable for most people, and people are not going to say they envy you...they are going to say you are being irresponsible, crazy, etc...

That's so much easier!

stranger
02-08-2010, 17:43
...and of course there will be thos who are supportive and completely understand why you are going, I know of a few strong supporters I've had over the years in my crazy life, it makes a big difference if you can find those people.

Datto
02-08-2010, 18:21
Make sure you tell 'em with a straight face that you're gonna hold it until you get to Katahdin.

Now where is my skiing equipment...

Datto

Gunner81
02-09-2010, 20:24
I had a mix of responses. Most of my co-workers were really supportive; they knew it was a dream of mine to thru-hike. My parents flipped out and my dad insisted I carry a gun....until about two weeks later when he realized that would be stupid. Random people were either negative (no way you could hike the AT) or just curious. You're right. Most people don't understand what it means to thru-hike the A.T. so most the responses you get come from ignorance. Even as much as I planned I don't think I fully understood what I was getting myself into, but I'm glad I did. Good Luck!

KnittingMelissa
02-10-2010, 13:38
I mentioned it to some friends and one advised me to bring a warm sweater, another talked about her dog, and a third asked if I had been sniffing cats.

Not quite sure about the third one, that's the oddest response I've gotten for anything so far :confused:, but the first two made me laugh. Though I've been putting off telling my family because I know my grandparents on one side are going to flip their lids, grandparents on the other are just going to laugh and ask if I want a cookie (grandparents on that side are cool and supportive of anything and everything), and my dad is probably going to blow a gasket and start ranting about the whole 'get a life, get a job, get married, settle down' etc speech. And my brother is just going to shake his head, moan that he has a crazy sister, and then ask if I need any MREs (he's in the Coast Guard, hopefully he gets back from his current tour before I leave).

So, all in all, I sniff cats. :banana

buff_jeff
02-10-2010, 15:12
I mentioned it to some friends and one advised me to bring a warm sweater, another talked about her dog, and a third asked if I had been sniffing cats.

Not quite sure about the third one, that's the oddest response I've gotten for anything so far :confused:,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9saNmo2bmeI