PDA

View Full Version : MSR MiniWorks EX Filter

Tuckahoe
02-05-2010, 21:53
Shopping for filters and I am considering the MRS MiniWorks EX. Would like to get the thoughts of those who have and use this filter.

Thanks

Feral Bill
02-05-2010, 22:30
I find it to be a good compromise among ease of use, price, bulk, and weight. The main advantage is that you don't have wait time as with chemicals. Others have different, valid ideas.

hpowers
02-05-2010, 23:23
I have the MSR WaterWorks which is basically the same filter. The best feature of this filter is that it is totally field maintainable - that is, you can disassemble this thing and clean it in no time. What some do not understand is that if the filter works as it is designed, it will clog up and require cleaning. After cleaning, the filter is as good as "out of the box". I have used this filter for years, and would purchase another one if needed.

CrumbSnatcher
02-05-2010, 23:27
katahdyn hikerpro
best by far!!!

Tuckahoe
02-05-2010, 23:32
katahdyn hikerpro
best by far!!!

And why is it the best by far?

Compass
02-06-2010, 00:28
I own the MSR Miniworks and it has never needed more than an easy to do filter scrub. It is field maintainable but seems to need no further maintenance for 2000 miles of use. I bought the an extra filter but am not even close to needing it.

Here is the link to the PDF of the manual.
http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/msr_miniworks_ex_manual_en.pdf

The only negative I have read on it is one person dropped it and broke the ceramic filter element.

bigcranky
02-06-2010, 00:39
I have both the MSR Miniworks and the Katadyn Hiker. Used them both for several years each. Differences:

1. Maintenance. The MSR is easily maintained in the field. (Hint: do NOT drop any little parts while doing this maintenance.) The Hiker just works until it stops working, and then you replace the filter. It gets slower over time, so you usually know well in advance.

2. Clogging. My MSR filter would clog up every 2-3 gallons of water. Not a big deal to take it apart and scrub the filter element, but on a family trip this would be required every day. The Hiker just works.

3. Speed. The Hiker is much faster to pump than the MSR. Maybe 50% faster? It made a noticeable difference when filtering for three people.

4. Ease of use. If you use wide-mouth containers, like Nalgene bottles or Cantenes, the MSR is hands-down easier to use. Screw on the bottle and start pumping. I really like the bellows-style pump action of the MSR. The Hiker requires less force to pump -- so my kid could use the Hiker, but not the MSR when she was younger.

So which do I use now? Aqua Mira drops, actually. If I wanted to take a pump filter, for a long solo trip I'd probably take the MSR. Ease of maintenance and use. For family trips, the Katadyn.

Jayboflavin04
02-06-2010, 09:42
ive been eye ballin that new Katadyn filter that is out. It appears to have a pretty slim design and very sturdy construction. Filter life is rated at 13000gal (not a typo). But it is $250 with $140 filter replacement. but current filter replacements are 30 bucks a pop so do the math.

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-endurance-series-products/katadyn-pocket-usa/

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 12:35
And why is it the best by far?
unless they retooled the MINI-WORKS over the last few years? if its the same filter they had out in 2003 and before? the katahdyn hiker pro was much faster than the mini-works! i hiked off and on with people that had the msr filter and they would get mad because i could and would have 3+ quarts of water pumped when they would still be on thier first quart! one reason was the pour size on the msr was smaller than the hikerpro. but the pump on the hikerpro was better. every year while thruhiking i would only replace the filter on the hiker pro once. i've used my (pur)hiker pro from 2000 and still use it today. has never broke or clogged. and im not trying to dog MSR PRODUCTS. the water filter is the only gear from MSR that i don't like, i have alot of other MSR gear and swear by them.

10-K
02-06-2010, 12:43
I would NOT recommend the MSR Hyperflow under any circumstances.

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 13:03
i love when everyone says ''yeah but the mini-works is field maintainable''
it reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy. when he says '' if you want me to crap in a box and mark it guaranteed i will'' but all that means is they guaranteed you a piece of ****!'':D

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 13:04
i don't care what filter people use. you need to take a few precautions when filtering and storing your filter. try to keep the filter out of the mud for sure!

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 13:12
I own the MSR Miniworks and it has never needed more than an easy to do filter scrub. It is field maintainable but seems to need no further maintenance for 2000 miles of use. I bought the an extra filter but am not even close to needing it.

Here is the link to the PDF of the manual.
http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/msr_miniworks_ex_manual_en.pdf

The only negative I have read on it is one person dropped it and broke the ceramic filter element.
thats great! as long as it works for you go with it!:banana

mikec
02-06-2010, 15:49
I've owned a Pur/Katahdin Hiker, a Pur/Katahdin Guide and now an MSR Miniworks EX. I went with the MSR because I was tired of having the Pur/Katahdin stop working in the middle of nowhere. At least I can take the MSR apart, clean it and I'm back in business. With the Pur/Katahdin, I was SOL until I was able to get to a town with an outfitter that had a replacement cartridge.

What was interesting was that the Guide would get harder to pump as it's filter was going. The Guide would just stop pumping without warning. Sometimes you could place the filter cartridge in a stream, clean it outand extend it's life. But most of the time you couldn't.

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 16:08
i,ve come across people on the trail and they couldn't get their pur (katahdyn) hiker filter to work. they didn't have any pressure in the pump, i showed them you need to pull the pump handle off and prime it(pour a liitle water into the pump and close it up. besides that all you need to do is lube the rubber washer on the new filter before you insert. thats all there is to maintaining a hikerpro filter. if your always clogging up? its cause your filtering in muddy water or something? i must be lucky then because my pur hiker has never failed! i had a sweet water filter in 98 & 99 it got to be a mess and clogged all the time!

Tuckahoe
02-06-2010, 16:17
i love when everyone says ''yeah but the mini-works is field maintainable''
it reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy. when he says '' if you want me to crap in a box and mark it guaranteed i will'' but all that means is they guaranteed you a piece of ****!'':D

Hey Crumb, that is one of the attractive features of the MiniWorks. But from what I just watched on the Katadyn website, the Hiker Pro is also field maintainable. Since you use the Hiker Pro, is that also the case?

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 16:21
Hey Crumb, that is one of the attractive features of the MiniWorks. But from what I just watched on the Katadyn website, the Hiker Pro is also field maintainable. Since you use the Hiker Pro, is that also the case?what did it show? besides priming the pump once in a blue moon and changing out the filter. thanks

Tuckahoe
02-06-2010, 16:27
what did it show? besides priming the pump once in a blue moon and changing out the filter. thanks

Here is the link to the Katadyn site for the Hiker Pro, and it has a short video. http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-backcountry-series-products/katadyn-hiker-pro/

What it looks like is that a filter protector is available that looks to be a fiber/filter sheet that wraps around the filter to extend the life of the filter.

Tuckahoe
02-06-2010, 16:32
Also what is the difference between the Hiker and Hiker Pro.

ETA -- never mind I just figured out the difference.

-SEEKER-
02-06-2010, 16:32
I use the MSR MiniWorks EX and have yet to be disappointed.

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 16:38
Here is the link to the Katadyn site for the Hiker Pro, and it has a short video. http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-products/products/katadynshopconnect/katadyn-water-filters-backcountry-series-products/katadyn-hiker-pro/

What it looks like is that a filter protector is available that looks to be a fiber/filter sheet that wraps around the filter to extend the life of the filter.
yes the filter protector is a new thing for the filter just a few years old. that probably why peoples filters are clogging maybe? (to me its like they were trying to fix something that didn't need fixed) i don't use the filter protector and filter the water from the best spot in the source i can find. i also use a collaspeable water bag and hang it in a tree or from a nail and filter from it. or out of running water in the stream. maybe i don't know everything but i remember filtering must faster and smoother than people with the MSR. i haven't hiked any major distance since 2005 so i'm old news and things change! so just ignore me. i hope you find the best match for you and good hiking!

Tuckahoe
02-06-2010, 16:49
Crumb, thanks for your input as it has made me seriously consider the Hiker Pro.

Praha4
02-06-2010, 18:00
I've used the MSR MiniworksEx and the Katadyn Hiker and Hiker Pro.

The only difference between Hiker and Hiker Pro is that the Hiker Pro comes with some hose quick disconnect fittings for the inlet and outlet hoses. Other than that they are the same filter.

I now prefer the MSR Miniworks because the outlet has the clean cap, you unscrew the clean cap, screw on a Nalgene bottle and you have a clean connection with no contamination of your clean water outlet.

The Katadyn Hiker is a nice little pump filter, except it is very easy to drop the outlet hose on the ground and get it contaminated, or get the small outlet nipple contaminated on top of the filter, the Katadyn "clean cap" on the outlet nipple is just a small, flexible plastic nipple cap, easy to lose, easy to drop on the ground.

If you pump out of silty water, ANY pump filter will get clogged over time. So the big question is which is easiest for field maintenance. Answer. They are both fairly easy, but the MSR Miniworks is very easy to unscrew the ceramic element and wipe it down with the green scrubbie pad they give you. No problem. The Katadyn Hiker Pro filter element can be wiped down with the small sponge they give you.

The ceramic element in the MSR Miniworks has a longer lifespan than the Katadyn Hiker filter element.

I use the MSR Miniworks with Aquamira drops as a backup.

The MSR Miniworks EX has been tested by the US Marine Corps and approved for use by the Marine Recon teams.

good luck

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 18:03
1999 thruhike i used 3 ceramic filters(sweetwater)
2003 thruhike i used 1 filter in my pur hiker :-?
good luck i hope you find what your looking for!:D

CrumbSnatcher
02-06-2010, 18:16
and i was cleaning the ceramic filter all the time

Panzer1
02-06-2010, 23:22
I have the MRS MiniWorks EX and used it on the trail just last weekend. I liked it but thought is was slower than my old filter. Still, I like it and would recommend it.

Panzer

SMSP
02-07-2010, 00:17
The MSR Miniworks comes with a water bottle adapter. Which water bottle does it work with???

Thanks,

SMSP

Panzer1
02-07-2010, 03:44
The MSR Miniworks comes with a water bottle adapter. Which water bottle does it work with???

Thanks,

SMSP

you can use a liter size nalgene or you can use a MSR dromedary bag, any size.

CrumbSnatcher
02-07-2010, 11:22
i used to use nalgenes but they are heavy,i switched to gatorade bottles much lighter and they don't leak either. not always but i'd leave towns with two new gatorades bottles, enjoy the gatorade then switch them over to water bottles. they don't fit the mini-works bottle adaptor

SMSP
02-08-2010, 01:10
What I am talking about is the RED adapter thingy that clips to the bottom of the screw on cover. It attaches to the filter to allow use with 'water bottles'. It reduces the size of the opening to screw onto a water bottle.

Looks like I may need to take a couple of empty water bottles into Dick's and see which one it fits. It looks like it may fit the 1L Auguafina bottles with the large opening. This opening is smaller than a nalgene bottle.

SMSP

srestrepo
02-08-2010, 15:27
are you sure that it opens a hole... it think what you might be looking at is this red thing that looks like a weird letter "C". that thing is used to gauge to see if you're ceramic filter needs replacing. if your filter can fit in the red "c" then replace it.

i love my MSR miniworks Ex. its a workhorse. it works every time, its very durable. its heavy and slow but hey, it mimics my hiking style... i'll stick with my msr. and i'd recommend it too.

SMSP
02-09-2010, 01:46
Yes. I am talking about that red thing that is shaped like a weird "C".
So, it has nothing to do with a water bottle adapter then?
I feel stupid.

What is MSR referring to as it has an adapter for a water bottle?
They must be talking about how the whole filter screws onto Nalgenes?
I was thinking that was the standard feature for this filter.

Anyway, I currently own a Katadyn Pro Hiker and there is a learning curve with managing the hose into your bottle or bladder, but it is doable. If I get some extra cash, I do want an MSR Miniworks. Doesnt hurt to add to the hurricane supplies.

SMSP

bigcranky
02-09-2010, 08:35

Yes, the bottle adapter is the screw thread on the bottom of the filter. It screws onto any bottle using the Nalgene wide mouth screw top. (Nalgene bottles, Nalgene Cantenes, and MSR bladders, to name a few.)

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 09:01
Yes. I am talking about that red thing that is shaped like a weird "C".
So, it has nothing to do with a water bottle adapter then?
I feel stupid.

I was thinking that was the standard feature for this filter.

Anyway, I currently own a Katadyn Pro Hiker and there is a learning curve with managing the hose into your bottle or bladder, but it is doable. If I get some extra cash, I do want an MSR Miniworks. Doesnt hurt to add to the hurricane supplies.

SMSPalot easier getting used to the hoses than having a bottle attached to the bottom of the filter! maybe that another reason the MSR is so slow(the air needs an easy way out when your replacing it with water)im sure it has a air relief valve but its still slow as hell! along with the fact the pumping action on the MSR & the sweetwater is not as easy as the KATAHDYN!
i'd rather have the hoses so the water bottle is away from the pump while pumping! THE MSR WOULD BE LIKE DRIVING A RACE CAR WITH A ELEPHANT ON THE TRUNK:D i've seen alot of people not wanting to hold up the extra weight of the MSR as the bottle fills up so thier leaning against everything to help support the extra weight. i know alot of people on WB brag about thier MSR BUT on the trail i've never heard anything but complaints.

stir crazy
02-09-2010, 09:15
I'm looking at filters also. I was going to buy the msr hyperflow. It's smaller, lighter, and is supposed to pump faster. Just wonder why you are not considering it.

workboot
02-09-2010, 10:13
My MiniWorks works just fine no problems here.

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 10:50
i never said the mini-works didn't work.:)
what ever works for all of you as long as you get out there in the woods, thats all that matters!

10-K
02-09-2010, 11:29
I'm looking at filters also. I was going to buy the msr hyperflow. It's smaller, lighter, and is supposed to pump faster. Just wonder why you are not considering it.

It would be more accurate if it were named "Hypersuck".

They're great for a gallon or two but after that the output drops dramatically and eventually it just becomes impossible.

You can backflush it till the cows come home and I promise you that you'll never get anywhere even close to anything you'd call "Hyperflow". I'm on my 3rd one and they've all been this way.

stir crazy
02-09-2010, 13:41
It would be more accurate if it were named "Hypersuck".

They're great for a gallon or two but after that the output drops dramatically and eventually it just becomes impossible.

You can backflush it till the cows come home and I promise you that you'll never get anywhere even close to anything you'd call "Hyperflow". I'm on my 3rd one and they've all been this way.

Yeah, after looking at some other reviews, maybe I will steer clear of the hyperflow. Which filter is most suitable to pump thru the tube rather than take out the bladder? I'm guessing the hiker pro into a camelbak? I think I have attachments to the Camelbak anyway. Might not make a difference.

Tuckahoe
02-11-2010, 11:54
Just sort of a final note...

I ended up purchasing the Hiker Pro. For me it came down to the my belief that the Hiker Pro filter would be easier and simpler for me to deal with. I liked the filter protector sheet. I came to feel that I could see myself dropping or in someway busting the MSR filter.

I will say that from my research both the Miniworks and the Hiker Pro are good filters and pretty much accomplish the same thing very well and I do not believe that one is far better than the other. Both should be considered.