PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Georgia in early April?

sbhikes
02-06-2010, 12:20
My experience with eastern US conditions is extremely limited. I might have a chance to do a section of the AT in early April. What is the weather like then? Temperatures?

How many miles of the trail are in Georgia?

Maddog
02-06-2010, 12:30
it varies! :)

Spirit Walker
02-06-2010, 13:33
From Springer to the Georgia line is 76.4 miles. Add 8.8 if you're hiking up from Amicalola. I'm not sure where the nearest road is from the Georgia/NC line.

As to weather - in April it can be warm and sunny, or it can be cold and snowy. Although you are in the south, the trail is high enough it is still winter in the mountains. Prepare for 20 degree nights and daytime temps between 30 and 70. Expect rain.

Jester2000
02-06-2010, 13:37
Plan for extreme crappiness.

You'll get to be happy if you're wrong.

wudhipy
02-06-2010, 13:51
If it can happen it will happen....that time of year there are two types of hikers...those that are ready...and those that are not. But hey..just do it.;)

ChinMusic
02-06-2010, 13:52
Plan for extreme crappiness.

You'll get to be happy if you're wrong.
Best advice......

10-K
02-06-2010, 13:53
Don't forget to get your patch for hiking all of Georgia. :)

Sounds kinda hokey but my son hiked that section with me and our patches are like sue-ven-ears.

sbhikes
02-06-2010, 17:04
From Springer to the Georgia line is 76.4 miles. Add 8.8 if you're hiking up from Amicalola. I'm not sure where the nearest road is from the Georgia/NC line.

As to weather - in April it can be warm and sunny, or it can be cold and snowy. Although you are in the south, the trail is high enough it is still winter in the mountains. Prepare for 20 degree nights and daytime temps between 30 and 70. Expect rain.

Thank you. That helps me know a little better what to bring. I'm from southern California so I haven't a clue what it's like back east.

Maybe we can hike to the nearest road before the Georgia state line or after. We only have a week and we can probably convince someone we know in Georgia to pick us up if it's not too inconvenient.

Or we might just go hike the Napali coast in Hawaii or the Grand Canyon. We'll see. We have some airline miles to waste.

emerald
02-06-2010, 17:11
http://www.weather.gov/

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/

ATC's Getting to the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm) may be helpful. ALDHA's Companion is available by clicking below and on the white blazes.

stranger
02-07-2010, 01:54
I hiked through GA in 1995 in March and had 7 straight days of rain, in 2009 I went through in April and had about 20 minutes of rain...

Ya never know

Chaco Taco
02-08-2010, 18:56
Be prepared to do some crawling

bigcranky
02-08-2010, 21:43
The easiest hike is from Springer to Dick's Creek Gap, which is a major road crossing just south of the NC border. Any local shuttle driver can get you from one to the other. About 70 trail miles, if I recall correctly.

Weather is variable. Average lows in early April are probably around freezing, with average highs around 60, but you can get freak cold or warm temps (a couple of years ago we had weather in the 70s in January and in the single digits in mid-April, so go figure.) Just be prepared for moderate cold, maybe lows in the 20s, and moderate rain, and you'll be fine.

If you need local assistance, we really liked the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA. They will pick you up at the train or bus station, give you a night in their very nice hostel, feed you, and drive you to the top of Springer for a reasonable fee. They can also pick you up at the end of the hike and get you back to the station or your car. Good people.

DaSchwartz
02-12-2010, 00:19
It can be all over the place temp wise that time of year. EXPECT the temps to drop in the low 20's and carrying clothing and gear that will protect you from the cold & wet. Always be prepared for the coldest, wettest weather it can be and you'll be fine.

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2010, 07:56
" We have some airline miles to waste. "

I have found myself in that very same quandry several times. Free plane ride to anywhere I want to go. It was great when I lived in Atlanta. Delta flew to just about every major airport in the US from there. If you are in LA, you have endless possibilities from LAX.

If you have never flown with your backpack before, be aware of airline regulations regarding fuel, stoves, and hiking poles. you dont want to have any of that removed from your pack by TSA or get delayed at the airport while they rummage through your gear.

Have fun wherever you decide to hike.

garlic08
02-12-2010, 09:45
You can get a good idea of weather before you leave CA by checking out the NWS seven-day forecast. I did that and was ready for four days of warm rain followed by warm sunny weather. I packed a rain hat I normally don't carry just because I checked, and it turned out to be the best piece of gear I brought.

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2010, 10:09
If you check the weather online, you will want to use Blairsville GA, Hiawassee GA, or Helen GA as your point of reference. They are close to the mountains and will have a more accurate assessment of the hiking area than if you get Atlanta weather.

sbhikes
02-12-2010, 10:35
Thanks for all the helpful info!

I didn't think about my trekking poles being a problem. I would check all my gear. I've never had a suitcase so I've checked a backpack before, but not with any gear in it! I've also flown with a recumbent bicycle. Not an easy thing to do. I might try UPS instead of putting my gear on the plane.

It's really hard to find a place to go in April. Most of the country is still too cold and the places that are nice are too close to fly to, or else once we fly to the nearest airport, we end up driving almost as far as if we'd started from home.

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2010, 11:14
Poles may not be a problem, unless you try to carry them on. and they dont pack well in the backpack without risk of gettng bent when on the baggage conveyor system. the bigger concern is with stove and fuel. I take an empty fuel bottle and get white gas after I arrive. I empty any contents and wash the bottle and stove thoroughly before I head back to the airport. Many airports (Atlanta for sure and I believe LAX) have devices that detect any trace of combustible gases. Your stove and used fuel bottle may still have small traces of fumes from white gas or denatured alcohol that can be detected by TSA devices. I also put both fuel bottle and stove in zip lock bags to reduce any remaining fume odor that may still be present on them.

You can check on the airline website regarding 'hazardous' contents in your luggage.

If you fly with your pack, I also suggest getting a pack stuff sack. If you dont have one, consider whether the pack cover will be adequate to prevent straps or other things on your pack from getting snagged on the conveyor belts at the airports. You dont want to see your pack coming onto the baggage carosel ripped or damaged.

Also be aware that their is a weight limit on single pieces of luggage. If you exceed that limit, there is an extra fee, that the airline will assess at time of check-in.

Jester2000
02-12-2010, 11:54
I also recommend printing out the TSA & airline regulations regarding gear and having them on you when you travel. For some employees it's not an everyday thing to be confronted with a stove. Being able to show them their own regulations can be helpful, as long as you do it nicely.

garlic08
02-12-2010, 12:22
I also recommend printing out the TSA & airline regulations regarding gear and having them on you when you travel. For some employees it's not an everyday thing to be confronted with a stove. Being able to show them their own regulations can be helpful, as long as you do it nicely.

That's an excellent idea. See if you can find something about walking aids. One flight they let me carry on my poles, another flight I had to check them and I boarded right behind two people carrying poles strapped to their carry-on day packs. It all depends on the TSA agent, apparently. Definitely ask, don't demand.

Another idea is to leave your pocketknife at home. When you get to Atlanta, stop at a drug store and buy a pack of single-edged razor blades, and throw them away when you go home. They're fine for anything you'll realistically need to do on the trail.

Yet another idea is to leave the stove at home. If you haven't tried stoveless hiking before, this could be a good time. It works for some. It does away a lot of the fuss factors, especially for a short trip.

Jester2000
02-12-2010, 13:34
Yet another idea is to leave the stove at home. If you haven't tried stoveless hiking before, this could be a good time. It works for some. It does away a lot of the fuss factors, especially for a short trip.

I think I'd save stoveless hiking experiments for later in the season. Bit too cold/wet/snowy for that right now (the original poster is asking about April; I just wanted to put this here in case any Feb. starters are reading this thread).