PDA

View Full Version : Need help with going lighter

greg88
02-06-2010, 13:32
Trying to go lighter. Have a Montbell UL SS bag and Neoair pad, so okay there. My current pack is a Baltero 70. Love the fit and comfort of the Baltoro. I'm looking for a lighter pack and tent and need your advice.

I'm a big guy (6-2, 250) and a serious nature/landscape photographer, so I will carry 8 lbs of photography equipment (Nikon D300 w/ lens, extra lens, light tripod & head). Live in NC and do mainly 2-3 day hikes on the AT and other trails in NC mtns, sometimes VA mtns. Trying to get my non-photo weight below 30 lbs, so my overall weight will be 35-38 lbs.

I need a 2P lightweight tent for just me when hiking or sometimes for me and son when hiking or car camping. Not sure whether to go with tarptent or something from Big Agnes, MSR, or REI. Also like the new Nemo Espri or Meta. Might could afford a 1P that works with larger person and second 2P for hiking/camping with my son.

Love the Baltoro, but I've been looking at GG Nimbus Meridian or Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. I don't know how the GG packs will fit and carry for a big guy with 35-40 lbs to carry and a bad back. Maybe I should just stick with the Baltero.

Given my size, weight carried, climate, and uses, any suggestions? Much thanks in advance.

Greg

10-K
02-06-2010, 13:47
For a tent I like the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. It's huge - me and my son are both 6'2" and we can both get ourselves and all our gear in the tent and still have room to move around. It has 2 vestibules with room for boots and to cook. I've been in some torrential downpours in it and never got wet. I believe it weights somewhere around 3 lbs with stakes and poles. (www.sixmoondesigns.com (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com)). Customer service is top notch.

I'm not up on packs in the 40 lb range but I'm sure others will chime in pretty quick.

BrianLe
02-06-2010, 14:31
I suggest that you look at ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com) for packs. If you want a single and double tent, tarptent.com options are good, perhaps a Contrail and Squall 2, or just a Squall 2 to start anyway. That's assuming you're okay with a single-wall tent.

10-K
02-06-2010, 14:38
I suggest that you look at ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com) for packs. If you want a single and double tent, tarptent.com options are good, perhaps a Contrail and Squall 2, or just a Squall 2 to start anyway. That's assuming you're okay with a single-wall tent.

I think the Catalyst tops out at 35# recommended max weight..

BrianLe
02-06-2010, 14:42
Catalyst recommended max load is 40 pounds.
I personally own an older model ULA pack (the P2). It's more comfortable but heavier than my Gossamer Gear pack. Of long distance hikers I've run into, ULA seems to be the most heavily favored as a good balance of comfort and yet being fairly light weight.

10-K
02-06-2010, 14:53
Catalyst recommended max load is 40 pounds.
I personally own an older model ULA pack (the P2). It's more comfortable but heavier than my Gossamer Gear pack. Of long distance hikers I've run into, ULA seems to be the most heavily favored as a good balance of comfort and yet being fairly light weight.

No doubt. I like my Catalyst very much, though I've worn holes in the mesh side pockets. I'm going to get a new one before I finish up the AT this spring.

FWIW, I would not want to try to carry 40 lbs in my Catalyst regardless of the max load recommendation. I think that would be very uncomfortable. I carried 35 lbs in mine once and even that seemed a bit much.

DAJA
02-06-2010, 14:55
No doubt. I like my Catalyst very much, though I've worn holes in the mesh side pockets. I'm going to get a new one before I finish up the AT this spring.

FWIW, I would not want to try to carry 40 lbs in my Catalyst regardless of the max load recommendation. I think that would be very uncomfortable. I carried 35 lbs in mine once and even that seemed a bit much.

Agreed, you already have the Gregory and like, it, why mess with what works.. Try and reduce weight elsewhere as you need to replace things, then once you get your pack weight down, replace your pack last..

garlic08
02-06-2010, 23:53
For the tent, so much depends on your hiking style. If you plan on spending a lot of time in camp in nasty weather after a short hike, saving ounces won't pay off much, especially with all the camera gear. But if you have a thru-hike in mind, with potentially long days and short nights in mostly summer weather, a lighter single-wall tarptent will pay off for you. They're not all that expensive, and you can even sell it used here if you don't like it. It may be worth a try, at least, and may be one more good tool in your box.