PDA

View Full Version : Saddleback Range

Namaste
02-06-2010, 16:50
I would like to hike the Saddleback section in Maine this summer. I can spend as much time as necessary preferably ending up at the parking lot near Piazza Rock (Route 4?). Where is a good spot to be dropped off at before the Saddlebacks and what would be a reasonable amount of time to complete this section. I understand there are many variables but anything general would help. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
02-06-2010, 16:53
maine 27. just before sugarloaf

Namaste
02-06-2010, 17:03
Thanks LW.

Cookerhiker
02-06-2010, 17:09
I would allow 3 full days to hike the 32 miles between Rts 27 and 4. You want to enjoy it and not rush yourself. Starting at Rt. 27, the ascent and descent of the Crockers isn't bad by Maine standards. The ascent up the Saddleback/Sugarloaf massif from Caribou Valley Rd. is rougher although it's probably harder going down than up because of the impact on knees. I recall the stretch from the Sugarloaf side trail to Poplar Leanto as easy (for Maine) but I was pretty trail hardy then. The 3 Saddleback peaks - Saddleback, Saddleback Jr., and The Horn - feature rocky ups and downs between them but the long descent from Saddleback down to Rt. 4 isn't bad either.

Saddleback was probably my favorite part of my Maine AT hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=114757) (aside from Katahdin of course).

emerald
02-06-2010, 17:44
Click below and on the white blazes if you don't have an A.T. handbook.

Chaco Taco
02-06-2010, 18:35
I would allow 3 full days to hike the 32 miles between Rts 27 and 4. You want to enjoy it and not rush yourself. Starting at Rt. 27, the ascent and descent of the Crockers isn't bad by Maine standards. The ascent up the Saddleback/Sugarloaf massif from Caribou Valley Rd. is rougher although it's probably harder going down than up because of the impact on knees. I recall the stretch from the Sugarloaf side trail to Poplar Leanto as easy (for Maine) but I was pretty trail hardy then. The 3 Saddleback peaks - Saddleback, Saddleback Jr., and The Horn - feature rocky ups and downs between them but the long descent from Saddleback down to Rt. 4 isn't bad either.

Saddleback was probably my favorite part of my Maine AT hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=114757) (aside from Katahdin of course).

I gotts agree. This section is pretty bad ass:D

woodsy
02-06-2010, 18:55
A pretty awesome alternative to going over Crocker or Sugarloaf would be to pick up the trail to MT Abraham out of Kingfield , its a blue blaze that connects to the AT near Lone Mountain on the AT. Much better views and interesting terrain than anywhere on the AT's north end of that section.

modiyooch
02-06-2010, 21:05
You can hike up the triple diamond slope.

fiddlehead
02-06-2010, 21:46
I would hike up Sugarloaf ski area for a good start although the forest service road to the west adds a very scenic approach to Sugarloaf although it may be tough to get someone to drive all the way up that road (i want to guess that it is 7 miles in) to the AT crossing.

I used to often see moose on that road.

weary
02-06-2010, 21:49
I would like to hike the Saddleback section in Maine this summer. I can spend as much time as necessary preferably ending up at the parking lot near Piazza Rock (Route 4?). Where is a good spot to be dropped off at before the Saddlebacks and what would be a reasonable amount of time to complete this section. I understand there are many variables but anything general would help. Thanks.
If I had plenty of time, I would start at the Long Falls Dam road, traverse the Bigelows and continue south to Route 4.

It's a 4 or 5 day walk. But it traverses the best -- and most threatened -- section of the the entire AT in Maine, south of Katahdin itself.

Keep in mind that most of the trail in Maine is totally unprotected, outside of a few state preserves that some of us struggled for years to create, and a narrow corridor purchased in the 1980s by the National Park SErvice.

My suggestion would take you over some of the best protected sections of the trail in Maine, and some the least protected. Both are worth exploring. As the Bible reminds us, "knowledge shall make you free," or words to that effect, which in this context, means knowledge shall make you aware of that which needs protection and quickly.

Weary www.matlt.org

peakbagger
02-07-2010, 12:09
I have done the stretch from Caribou valley road (between Sugarloaf and the Crockers) to RT 4 in two days with time to spare ( did a car shuttle before I got on the trail the first day, but I am used to hiking in the whites so steep rocky/rooty trails are not an issue with me. If you add in the Crockers from the RT 27 crossing, it would be best to plan 3 days, unfortunately the option of camping in the building on Sugarloaf is no longer, so its probably best to camp near the Caribou valley road, just after you cross the road but before the stream crossing there are several sites.

By the way, the Caribou Valley road is a old logging road in deteriorated condtion with a couple of real sketch bridges. Sometimes a passenger car can make it past the bridges but sometime not. Unless your shuttler is familiar with the road and has the right car, the RT 27 drop off is a lot easier.

Tinker
02-07-2010, 15:58
I believe this stretch has more vertical (north or south) than any comparable section, mileage-wise, on the whole AT.
It's been many years since I did it, and I can remember that it was both difficult and beautiful. DO make the side trip to Mt. Abraham. The trail leads to a rock pile in an opening which, until you reach it, doesn't look much like a peak, but has far-reaching views, and, when I did it, a small shelter built into the rocks.