PDA

View Full Version : alky stoves at high altitude

lucky luke
02-07-2010, 12:40
hi folks,

does anyone here know, or know any links, about how alkohol stoves perform at higher altitudes?

weŽre talking 5000+ meters, a friend is going to bolivia and will do some highland-trecking and a little mtn.eering. he is worried if his trangia will function, or if he should take a gasoline stove, or gas-canisters.

thanks for any input,
happy trails
lucky luke

brooklynkayak
02-07-2010, 12:45
I have never tried at such a high altitude. Some alcohol stoves should work fine, others not so well.
The more open designs with fiberglass wick should work at any altitude.
The pressurized jet type may take longer to start.

Ender
02-07-2010, 12:53
I've used an alky stove at 12K+, but that's nowhere near the altitude you're asking about. My guess though would be, like the poster before me said, the unpressurized types should work just fine. Just remember that water boils at a much lower temp at that elevation, so cooking times need to be adjusted.

garlic08
02-07-2010, 13:08
How many meals are planned per fuel resupply? If it's more than eight or ten, just the weight of the alcohol alone will start to justify a heavier pressurized gas stove, regardless of altitude. I'll bet that's the case here.

I've had my alky stove work well in winter conditions at 3,500 meters.

lucky luke
02-07-2010, 13:23
How many meals are planned per fuel resupply? If it's more than eight or ten, just the weight of the alcohol alone will start to justify a heavier pressurized gas stove, regardless of altitude. I'll bet that's the case here.

I've had my alky stove work well in winter conditions at 3,500 meters.

hi,

at this point its only about function not about the fuel to carry. he will be able to resupply frequently, but needs a stove for higher up. he does not want to carry 2 stoves unless he has to, because he will bring his trangia anyway. so if his traniga will work he is willing to carry a quart or 2 extra for his climbs. if it wonŽt work then heŽll consider a second stove, or maybe leave the trangia with a broken heart at home. it a longer trip of about 6 months overall.

greets
lucky luke

Franco
02-07-2010, 17:54
I cannot find any links to using a Trangia at over the above mentioned 12000'.
Maybe he could consider the Gas burner or the Multi Fuel Adaptor for the higher climbs ...
Franco
http://www.trangia.se/english/2925.original_accessories.html (http://www.trangia.se/english/2925.original_accessories.html)

Panzer1
02-08-2010, 12:52
Since all stoves require oxygen to burn they will all have trouble at high altitude. I would just go with the hottest stove you can find, I think that would be a white gas stove.

Panzer

lucky luke
02-08-2010, 13:57
well, thanks for the input guys!

i guess heŽll just have to get a gasoline stove that fits into the trangia system and take both.

happy trails
lucky luke