PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this pack for my first hike

Brian321
02-07-2010, 15:17
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Pack-Hiking-Backpack-Backpacking/dp/B001GCJ4Q2

I have heard good things about this pack but not sure how its gonna hold up considering the price.

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2010, 15:19
It might hold up fine, but it weighs 8 pounds!!

I'd keep looking if I were you, even if it means spending more money on a pack than you might have originally planned.

Tinker
02-07-2010, 15:21
I've never seen that one before.
Btw: How long is this "first hike" going to be.
For a short hike, anything will do, though carrying too much gear is generally more of a problem for new hikers than finding a pack with a comfortable suspension.
I'd have to suggest that you go to an outfitter, try on several packs (have them load the packs with pillows and sand-filled weights like REI does), then take your pick there. Make friends so you can go back for more advice later.

mweinstone
02-07-2010, 15:27
its almost as if you picked a pack to anger me.
no comment.

Mountain Wildman
02-07-2010, 15:31
The shipping weight is listed at 8 pounds but the product weight seems to be 2 lbs. 8 oz.
I am not an expert on packs and suspensions but I wonder if it will carry easily for 2100 plus miles.

Jester2000
02-07-2010, 15:39
its almost as if you picked a pack to anger me.
no comment.

Hahahahaha!

Um, seriously, this looks like an HK-3 from them. According to the specs listed, it weighs 2lb. 8oz., which suggests to things: first, whoever is selling it on amazon is trying to jam you on shipping cost by listing it as 8 pounds, and second, for what appears to be a 3500ci pack (by the dimensions listed), it probably has virtually no suspension system at all.

Couple this with the fact that this company seems to make mainly daypacks and luggage, add the low price which leads me to believe that the workmanship and materials are going to be shoddy, and I think this would be terrible for use when backpacking.

It might be a handy bag to have when traveling, but I wouldn't count on it for much beyond that.

mweinstone
02-07-2010, 15:46
one night with me and she would be pregnant with problems.

im lost
02-21-2010, 02:45
my best friend used this pack for the first time in on a 3 day hike near pearisburg last month. the buckle broke before it was ever carried. during the trip he tried a kelty ext. frame 3800 ci. he also tried my lowe int frame. That pack will never see the trail again.

Jester2000
02-21-2010, 02:51
my best friend used this pack for the first time in on a 3 day hike near pearisburg last month. the buckle broke before it was ever carried. during the trip he tried a kelty ext. frame 3800 ci. he also tried my lowe int frame. That pack will never see the trail again.

That's kind of what I expected. Sometimes you actually do get what you pay for. And not always in a good way.

leaftye
02-21-2010, 15:47
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Pack-Hiking-Backpack-Backpacking/dp/B001GCJ4Q2

I have heard good things about this pack but not sure how its gonna hold up considering the price.

I call BS.

300winmag
03-08-2010, 02:41
Never even heard of that brand. Stay far away from it.

Brian, a good USED pack is far better than some of-the-wall pack made for a "price point" and not the trail.

My recommendation is to look at an REI pack in the lighweight "FLASH" series, like a FLASH 65. If, after walking around the store for 1/2 hour with it loaded with 35 lbs. it still feels comfortable then get it or whatever light (3 lbs. or less) pack you prefer.

And please ask an experienced salesperson to assist you in getting the pack properly set up.

You must remember, in 3 season backpacking, LIGHTNESS is your goal. Buy the lightest gear that is comfortable. REI will rent you gear to try out. Go that route first. Buy all your other light gear 1st THEN get a pack that can carry that gear without jamming it in too tightly.

Good luck.

Eric

d.o.c
03-08-2010, 10:56
Look into ULA packs they are nice and weigh next to nothin gregory nice to i have used both and been very satisfied with fit and comfort

ASUGrad
03-12-2010, 09:49
Look for a closeout on Campmor. I got a good deal that way and I love the pack.

My son uses a used pack that a guy used to do a thru hike in the 70'. Some things last forever.

goedde2
03-31-2010, 09:55
Consider looking at a Gregory Z 65. It's only 3.7 pounds and has feature that keeps the pack away from your back via a mesh type support. The bottom rests against the small of your back. A little on the light weight side, but very comfortable, and it also has a zip around feature that makes it easy to get at those things you need that always end up being on the bottom.