PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again......one long white winter.

Mrs Baggins
02-07-2010, 17:14
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/21702?phenomena=WS&significance=A&areaid=MDZ004&office=KLWX&etn=0005

This is for Tuesday afternoon - Wednesday afternoon - - at least 5 more inches of snow.

Rocket Jones
02-07-2010, 17:29
I know what you mean. We got close to 30" of snow and our power just came back after being out since late Friday night. We dug three cars out of the snow and I'm feeling every single shovel-full. LOL

I think I'm going to sleep very good tonight.

Mrs Baggins
02-07-2010, 17:41
I know what you mean. We got close to 30" of snow and our power just came back after being out since late Friday night. We dug three cars out of the snow and I'm feeling every single shovel-full. LOL

I think I'm going to sleep very good tonight.

We did get 30" and we also had to unbury 3 cars! Never lost our power, though. City plows finally showed up about 3 hours ago. Forearms ache from shoveling but otherwise nothin' some Advil won't fix! What doesn't kill us.....right? :D

sasquatch2014
02-07-2010, 17:56
I don't know here we are with the first full week for Feb down and march is almost in sight that is the time when things start to break out of the deep freeze around here. You want long winter there are many many places where even May does not promise a snow free time and by Sept you better have the winter coats handy because winter will arrive any day.

Nope don't think that this is all that bad at all. I like snow and wish we had gotten more up here but you all keep hogging it.

Hooch
02-07-2010, 18:03
No snow in Aiken. :rolleyes:

Mrs Baggins
02-07-2010, 18:12
I don't know here we are with the first full week for Feb down and march is almost in sight that is the time when things start to break out of the deep freeze around here. You want long winter there are many many places where even May does not promise a snow free time and by Sept you better have the winter coats handy because winter will arrive any day.

Nope don't think that this is all that bad at all. I like snow and wish we had gotten more up here but you all keep hogging it.

Oh I know, about places that get snow 9 months a year that is. We used to live just north of Denver. It does snow in May and then in September you can get the "1st" snowfall of the season. Drove home from work in the 1997 October Blizzard. I worked with people who had lived there all their lives and said there were years with snowfall every single month. I even remember packing up the van for a trip in early June -- and it was snowing. The Denverites will say they get more days of sunshine than many places...but the sun can shine down on a foot of snow, too. :sun

2XL
02-07-2010, 18:49

Keep your fingers crossed, we might get some on Wednesday.

gunner76
02-07-2010, 18:57
No snow on coast where I live, just rain and more rain

Lillianp
02-07-2010, 19:12
No snow here in Mass either. Except for the random icy gross piles from several weeks ago. I'm appreciating the lack of snow, personally.

Mrs Baggins
02-07-2010, 19:42
No snow here in Mass either. Except for the random icy gross piles from several weeks ago. I'm appreciating the lack of snow, personally.

We lived in Leominster MA, Sept 76 - Aug 77. It snowed heavily just days before Christmas Dec 76. It was the first time my husband had ever lived where it snows. He still talks about that. :D

prain4u
02-07-2010, 19:42
The near record-breaking snow and cold are just more evidence of global warming! :D

Here in my part of Illinois, we are expecting another 6-8 inches of snow by sunrise on Wednesday--plus winds of 15-25 mph with gusts of up to 30 mph. Low temps on Wednesday are predicted to be 5 degrees above zero (fahrenheit).

Mrs Baggins
02-07-2010, 20:00
According to RFK Jr, just 15 months ago,said global warming meant no ice or snow or cold for DC.....ROFLMAO! Notice how silent he and Algore are now.....tucked away in their hypocritical energy sucking mansions............

Rocket Jones
02-07-2010, 20:42
Yep, we're @**-deep in Gore-flakes. :)

Marmotnj
02-07-2010, 20:44
I'm so jealous of you guys who got 30 inches, i want to bust out snowshoes and go hiking.

Marmotnj
02-07-2010, 20:46
sorry for the double post, Lillianp, when are you leaving?

Lillianp
02-07-2010, 20:56
We lived in Leominster MA, Sept 76 - Aug 77. It snowed heavily just days before Christmas Dec 76. It was the first time my husband had ever lived where it snows. He still talks about that. :D

We do get buckets of snow very often. I vaguely remember a big snow storm in april when I was pretty young. It's odd to watch states south of here be under piles of snow while I look outside to brown grass.

Lillianp
02-07-2010, 20:57
sorry for the double post, Lillianp, when are you leaving?

14 days! I'm starting the 22nd of February! When are you leaving, marmotnj?

Blissful
02-07-2010, 21:18
5 inches is nothing now around here.

Marmotnj
02-07-2010, 21:18
ah I'm leaving march 28, you're going to be way ahead of me. I want to leave early so bad!

Spirit Walker
02-07-2010, 21:19
It has been a hard winter for pre-hike training. Lots of snow and what we've had has lasted a very long time, mostly in the form of ice. We had planned to get out this week for a prehike overnighter, but that's not likely to happen now. We snowshoed out the front door up to where they had plowed the road and it was slow going in two feet of powder.

Mrs Baggins
02-07-2010, 21:30
5 inches is nothing now around here.

It's 5 MORE inches (and probably more) on top of the 30" we just got and over the ice on the roads that will form up over the next couple of nights. Of course 5" is usually "nothing" but this time it's in addition to..........

wudhipy
02-07-2010, 22:22
Cold and wet here in E. Ky. There is some snow in the woods hanging on for more I guess....3 more weeks.:D

David@whiteblaze
02-07-2010, 22:43
send some of that snow down here!

Old Hiker
02-07-2010, 22:53
Yep - I can relate. Down to 42* tonight in Tampa, FL and only 65 or so tomorrow. We're freezing down here! :sun

Mags
02-07-2010, 23:27
The Denverites will say they get more days of sunshine than many places...but the sun can shine down on a foot of snow, too. :sun

And that's why I live here. I love skiing. And snow. And sunshine while skiing in the snow. :sun That's what I'll be doing Tuesday with all this fresh fluffy stuff falling down tonight.

dovecote
02-07-2010, 23:37
We did get 30" and we also had to unbury 3 cars! Never lost our power, though. City plows finally showed up about 3 hours ago. Forearms ache from shoveling but otherwise nothin' some Advil won't fix! What doesn't kill us.....right? :D

I became a snowbird early in the year and picked a good time to do it. My neighbor in Harpers Ferry also reported 30 inches of snow and is hunkered down in the house for the next few days. Will be back up in HF in April.

Mrs Baggins
02-08-2010, 07:39
A Baltimore TV news station (at 5:30 am today) says there's a "Canadian weather model" that is showing a possible 12" of new snow for an area of about mid-Maryland northward starting tomorrow night, blizzard conditions again very likely.

sasquatch2014
02-08-2010, 08:07
It has been a hard winter for pre-hike training. Lots of snow and what we've had has lasted a very long time, mostly in the form of ice. We had planned to get out this week for a prehike overnighter, but that's not likely to happen now. We snowshoed out the front door up to where they had plowed the road and it was slow going in two feet of powder.

Which trail you hitting this year?

The Solemates
02-08-2010, 09:45
5 new inches here this morning.

mweinstone
02-08-2010, 09:50
philly has 29 inches. 2nd largest on record. schools closed. stores empty.

Lillianp
02-08-2010, 10:08
I'm super confused as to why Boston has seen none of this snow. Guess that's a good thing!

DavidNH
02-08-2010, 11:12
I'd be most grateful if you guys could blow those snow storms a bit further north. Folks are getting buried in DC and MD and parts of VA yet up here in southern New Hampshire, almost none. Got bare spots on the ground. I'm getting upset. I WANT SOME FRESH SNOW!

David

Spirit Walker
02-08-2010, 12:07
Which trail you hitting this year?

We're starting at Springer on March 1 or 2 and hiking north for six weeks. At the end of April we're flying out to California to start a northbound PCT thruhike. That's assuming all goes well on our AT venture. Of course, if it really is a high snow year, we could end up changing our plan. Who knows, we could continue on the AT. It has been a long time since our last AT thruhike. It will be fun to see how much we remember and how much has changed.

veteran
02-08-2010, 14:34
The US Guvmint in DC is Shut Down today.

emerald
02-08-2010, 15:36
I want to bust out snowshoes and go hiking.

Come on down! More snow's on the way. Heard all the stories about 6 foot drifts and broken township plows at work this morning.

Snow on my roof is almost mented due to all the sunshine since the snow let up. I don't know how much I saved on heating, but I had my boiler turned off again last night.

Eighteen inches of snow on the roof sure beats 10 degrees and 15 mph northerly winds! It's sunny again today and my boiler's still turned off.:)

veteran
02-08-2010, 16:34
Winter Storm Warning for western PA,WV and Md (http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MDZ001&warncounty=MDC023&firewxzone=MDZ001&local_place1=Mc+Henry+MD&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning), upto 16" possible.

prain4u
02-08-2010, 16:41

Come to think of it, I HAD noticed that things were running pretty smoothly and problem-free in the U.S. today! :D

Mrs Baggins
02-08-2010, 16:45
Winter Storm Warning for western PA,WV and Md (http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MDZ001&warncounty=MDC023&firewxzone=MDZ001&local_place1=Mc+Henry+MD&product1=Winter+Storm+Warning), upto 16" possible.

Weather.com just showed possibility of 20".........this just gets worse and worse. I'm gonna need more Canadian Mist and soda.

Cuffs
02-08-2010, 17:19
That's not very much snow, well not to me anyways...

Rocket Jones
02-08-2010, 17:59
Yep, the projected snowfall for tomorrow in Northern Virginia went from 3"-5" yesterday to 10"-20" this afternoon.

This afternoon I told the dog to stay in the yard, he hopped up on the snow and walked over the picket fence to the neighbor's yard.

mudhead
02-08-2010, 18:05
Someone out there must have a pic of their dog that walked onto the roof of the house.

Chaco Taco
02-08-2010, 18:53
You hikers coming thru early are going to have one helluva time with all of the blowdowns and the chunks of trail that are missing from the uprooted trees. Some of the NC and TN sections of the trail are in really bad shape.

Mags
02-08-2010, 19:10
If I ever do the AT NoBo again (so many trails..so little time), I'd start in early May and finish by early September. The only possibly bad part would be the muggy mid-Atlantic.

A 4 month hike of the AT is very doable for an experienced backpacker..and it would avoid the nasty snow storms like the early starters are avoiding (and that I just barely avoided when I did the BMT last year).

Then again..some love winter backpacking...you just have to love it for days on end. :sun

buff_jeff
02-08-2010, 21:24
If I ever do the AT NoBo again (so many trails..so little time), I'd start in early May and finish by early September. The only possibly bad part would be the muggy mid-Atlantic.

A 4 month hike of the AT is very doable for an experienced backpacker..and it would avoid the nasty snow storms like the early starters are avoiding (and that I just barely avoided when I did the BMT last year).

Then again..some love winter backpacking...you just have to love it for days on end. :sun
I sectioned Georgia to Maryland starting May 10 and it was phenomenal. Never too hot, never cold, very few bugs, way fewer people than the "herd," and only a handful of rainy days. Can't beat it.

mikec
02-08-2010, 21:41
The only good thing about all this snow is that hopefully, the streams will be flowing better along the trail this year. Water was getting iffy on a number of trails in the mid-atlantic states last fall.

Egads
02-08-2010, 21:47
The only good thing about all this snow is that hopefully, the streams will be flowing better along the trail this year. Water was getting iffy on a number of trails in the mid-atlantic states last fall.

This has been the wettest fall & winter in many years in the SE. No need to question water sources along the trail this spring. No reason to carry more than a liter unless you want to

sasquatch2014
02-08-2010, 21:48
Springs were running two weeks ago if a bit frozen in Pa even before this snow. May have had something to do with the almost 4" of rain the region received before I arrived.

I was hoping for some snow to freeze the rocks together and smooth out some of the bumps but if they get too much my next section at the end of the month may be a bit of a pain the ass. maybe I'll pack the snow shoes even though I exceed the weight they list it will better than post holing up to my knees.

dovecote
02-08-2010, 23:00

It is closed Tuesday also. http://www.data.gov/opm_status.html

sasquatch2014
02-08-2010, 23:16
It is closed Tuesday also. http://www.data.gov/opm_status.html

Thats It I am planning on a tax per diem rebate for 2010. If they aren't open then they shouldn't charge me the bumbs!

dovecote
02-09-2010, 00:12
Thats It I am planning on a tax per diem rebate for 2010. If they aren't open then they shouldn't charge me the bumbs!

I would not be surprised if the Feds will be closed on Wednesday also due to the arriving storm previous posters have mentioned.

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 00:15
I would not be surprised if the Feds will be closed on Wednesday also due to the arriving storm previous posters have mentioned.

Keeping track for my tax man for next year!

SurferNerd
02-09-2010, 00:32
Ugh, we just got another 2 inches of snow in Nashville tonight.. This is getting crazy.