PDA

View Full Version : Garmin's Mapsource program to the Hike....

Wise Old Owl
02-07-2010, 22:08
Garmin's Mapsource was recently upgraded and Tracks and Waypoints seem to be cosolidated. For those who use Garmin products this is the program that allows you to save your trips and print them on paper for prosperity. However, I have been stumped on one issue. I would like to load a park with my "extra" trails that are freqently left off the park map and walk the track in real time. Garmin only displays point A to B and if there is a C midway it can't handle a blue blaze on the Track. If you follow this thought great or I can generate pictures.

I need real help here, It is not covered in the help section of the program.

Mr. Magoo
02-13-2010, 11:09
I'd like to try and help... Can you post an image or diagram of what you're trying to generate?

Wise Old Owl
02-13-2010, 14:54
Thank's here is the issue, when several trails are in one area the Garmin wants to display a small section of the past trails not the whole thing. A cannot be connected to B without some major work. So it never displays correctly when you go back to hike it again.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/WBGeography.jpg

Wise Old Owl
02-13-2010, 14:56
FYI I am exposing hidden trails here most folk do not know 002>003 or the Fishing Trail on the opposite side of the creek.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2010, 13:20
I realized this was going to be a difficult question.....

glessed
02-17-2010, 11:20
I keep looking at your example and don't clearly understand what you are trying to do? But then again, I am still trying to learn how to use my GPS as well (GPSMAP 76CSx). I am willing to try and help. Maybe I can learn somethingin the process.

If you want to add additional routing points to routes you have already developed I believe that you can open the original route table in Mapsource and add the additional points via a copy/paste operation e.g. copy desired data from the new route and add it to an existing route.

Do you have a before/after example describing your issue more clearly?

Mr. Magoo
02-18-2010, 21:02
Haven't forgotten you... Still trying to figure what you're trying to do and equate it to what I'm seeing on the map.

Mr. Magoo
02-18-2010, 21:09
Sorry for the double post. Wish that one can edit their posts, here...

Anyway, where do you want to connect A to B? Is it through the waypoint labeled "End"? I see 3 distinct trails: Horse Loop, Bike Loop, and Fishing Trail.

Unless I'm missing something here, you might have some luck if you create a Route.

Wise Old Owl
02-21-2010, 00:20
Sorry for the double post. Wish that one can edit their posts, here...

Anyway, where do you want to connect A to B? Is it through the waypoint labeled "End"? I see 3 distinct trails: Horse Loop, Bike Loop, and Fishing Trail.

Unless I'm missing something here, you might have some luck if you create a Route.

When the three seperate hikes are loaded to the Map that you see they are clearly displayed in the laptop, when they are imported back to the Garmin they break up and only small sections are visable and they don't display correctly, So when I go back the A loop is visable but nothing else.

If you are a donating member you should see a EDIT button next to your quote button.

Mr. Magoo
02-21-2010, 19:20
In that case, I would try and make a route out of the 3 hikes to combine it into one.

Manwich
02-21-2010, 21:58
In that case, I would try and make a route out of the 3 hikes to combine it into one.

this is the answer. either that or rename them to ACTIVE_LOG001 002 003 etc.

Wise Old Owl
03-07-2010, 19:52
A lot of work...

Ok.... Guess i have to get to it.

scottdennis
03-07-2010, 22:11
Yeah Wise, I don't think there's an easy solution. I had a bit of the same problem when I upgraded as well.

On another topic with your Mapsource, have you found that your AT as shown by the Mapsource is off? I've only noticed it for VA so far? What are your findings?

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2010, 21:35
no I haven't the trail is well marked but maybe 91 percent accurate. Why?