PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Hikers starting in June/July?

gina811
02-08-2010, 03:15
Hey there,
I am heading SOBO w/a gal pal whenever the blackfly season lets up, the sooner the better. I would like to start in mid June/early July and finish by Halloween or mid Nov. My gal pal will be with me for a month, then I am planning on hiking w/whoever I meet. I have talked a lot to Dirty Harry about the trail and I am ready to rock - gear is ready to go and I have read a ton and watched lots of docus. I have done marathons before and put my body through a lot, although I haven't done long distance hikes before. I plan on pounding out 20 mile days as soon as my body is conditioned to it (probably after a month). Looking for people who are also looking to have fun and hike hard.
If we don't start out together, maybe we could meet up at some point, it would be good to have some trail names on the list to watch out for!
I don't have a trail name yet, so I will just go by Gina for now ;)
Looking forward to meeting new people and taking on this adventure!

RGB
02-08-2010, 04:57
Sounds like fun! My friend and I are planning a SoBo in 2012 and are leaving in June because we graduate in May. I have asked several successful SoBo thru-hikers about starting dates in conjunction with the black flie season, and apparently, most people either don't know what they're talking about or are blowing it out of proportion. From what I've heard, as long as you have DEET, you are good to go. If you walk around in the south you will get just as torn up by "skeeters" without it. Hope you have an amazing hike!

-seth

The Flatulator
02-08-2010, 10:18
Black fly season closely follows mud season here in Maine which soon yields to tourist season (the greatest pest of all). You can expect exceptionally thick black fly infestations during the entire month of June through a good part of early July. From that point, the mosquitoes have driven most of the black flies out of state and after a month or two of woodland insanity, the deer flies become the persistant forestal pest. At least by starting in June, you will have missed the snow melt and high/dangerous stream and river fords. Mud will still be deep and the cold rains will test your mettle and fortitude. I seriously doubt you will be doing any twenty mile days until after you leave Vermont, which would be a little less than two months into your hike. New England is not a walk in the park. You will soon learn that the switchback was invented in Maine. We call these "New England style" switchbacks where the trail goes straight up the mountain and then switches at the top and goes straight down. Unfortunately, out Southern counterparts have bastardized the switchback concept and have zig-zagged the trail in a long, laborious attempt at getting the hiker to the summit by increasing mileage. I guess this is one way to keep the Trail at over 2000 miles. Have a great hike, maintain your sense of humor, plan for the rain, the pain and you will surely attain your goal. Perhaps our paths will cross this summer as I plan to begin a third thru-hike on April 13, 2010. I, too, am a marathoner, however, nothing prepares you for a long distance hike except long distance hiking.

gina811
02-08-2010, 16:35
Thanks so much for the advice and support :)
I know that I have a lot in store for me, thanks for giving me a reality check on the mileage. I just want to have fun, hike hard, not take myself too seriously but pound out what I can.
Good luck everyone on your upcoming hikes!

The Flatulator
02-08-2010, 17:09
Gina.....Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. I have been involved with the Trail for 33 years and have seen a lot of southbound hikers fail because of poor planning and/or too ambitious expectations. The Trail in Maine is rugged, rough, tough and will beat your body mercilessly as you begin your hike. You will feel like you "hit the wall" everyday of your hike, and then you hit New Hampshire and the Whites. Best to take it slow the first 3-4 weeks and then you will be forced to take it slow the next 3-4 weeks after that. Wet roots, slick rocks, blood thirsty insects and lots of rain are the norm for June/July. The footway is never smooth and the Trail is always steep. If you can maintain a positive attitude and enjoy the scenery and the wonderful people you will encounter on a daily basis and always keep a smile in your heart and know why you are out there to begin with, you will do well. Complainers never finish the Trail. If we should encounter each other along the way and should meet in one of the trail towns along the way, I will buy you your first half gallon of ice cream (an AT tradition and you MUST eat it in one sitting!!-no problem for a hard core thru-hiker!!). Best wishes and best of luck!

checkout
02-08-2010, 20:35
Im planning on a SOBO starting sometime mid-June. I dont really have any expectations on my daily mileage, but plan to heed the advice of taking my time in the beginning. I just want to finish by Christmas, but im sure with little to no injuries Ill finish before then.

Bleemus
02-10-2010, 17:04
I am starting a NOBO E2E of the Long Trail on Aug 1 or thereabouts. Probably cross paths with you heading the other way.

Have a great hike!

Spot In The Sky
02-10-2010, 19:54
Im planning on leaving July 1stish too- message me back if you want to discuss!

Snowleopard
02-11-2010, 00:34
Gina811 and Walkin' Dude, keep your pack weight down and you'll be happier. Do some training hikes carrying your full packs. Gina, if you run marathons and if you're carrying a light pack, you'll fly once you get used to steep trails.

Black flies: some years are worse than others. Last summer the bugs weren't bad here (2 miles S. of NH). Carry a head net and DEET; I hate both, but carry both up north. Try treating your clothes with Permethrin. If you're not carrying a tent, consider some sort of mosquito netting beyond a head net. Another reason to travel light is the black flies don't seem to bother me as much if I'm moving at a reasonable pace.

You'll both have fun!

SKessler
02-15-2010, 13:37
Gina, Spot in the Sky...

I am going to be hitting Maine around then. I have done many miles on the trail and am accustomed to long days of hiking, but partners on the beginning would probably prove helpful. Message me and we can possibly meet up and get through the 100 miles together!

-SK (Bluegrass)

flybynight
02-28-2010, 18:38
Im planning on a SOBO starting sometime mid-June. I dont really have any expectations on my daily mileage, but plan to heed the advice of taking my time in the beginning. I just want to finish by Christmas, but im sure with little to no injuries Ill finish before then.
I am also planning on a June SOBO start, probably the first week of June. I would like someone to at least start out the 100 Mile Wilderness together....I have the same time frame and also want to take time...

clairep1791
03-07-2010, 12:48
I'm planning to leave around June 12th, give or take a few days. Send me a PM if you want to hook up!

Simba
03-07-2010, 13:10
I hiked the trail NOBA in 2000 from Springer to NY rt 17; looking to leave early June to go NOBO from Kent, Conn. instead of flip flopping it and hitting more mud and bugs. If anyone is SOBO and wants to flip flop it instead let me know, starting out with someone is always helpful. I'll be doing NY rt17 to Kent, Conn. the end of this month (March) as a prep as an 8 day hike. Let me know if anyone wants to go on either; trailname of Simba from 2000 was fitting and will continue.

Blissful
03-07-2010, 20:04
Up the Big K July 1 to go SOBO. I just mailed in my reservation for Katahdin Stream for that night.

gina811
05-02-2010, 13:29
It's official, I will be starting my climb of Katahdin on June 15th!
If you think you will be there around this time let me know, maybe we can start out the 100 together.
Good times ahead!

Sniddle
05-02-2010, 18:20
I summit Katahdin the 3rd, and braving the blackflies. schedule considerations are making me start early. I'm sure I'll see you around the trail, if you've run a few marathons you'll probably catch up with me, my fitness isn't the greatest.

livingXtreme
08-11-2010, 17:49
2012 nobo ( ga-me ), still need a partner!!!

dwalker
12-05-2010, 21:15
Hey-a Gina, my name's Dylan. I'm a 17-year-old aspiring thru-hiker. I want to do the AT before I start college, so I'm stuck in the SOBO hiking season.
The last day of school is the week before June 15, so that's actually really perfect! I'd love to hike with you on the onset and I'm eager to go at a challenging pace. Message me if you're interested!

Kepley
03-12-2011, 21:48
Gina, Checkout, Spot in the Sky, Skessler, Flybynight, Clairep1791, Blissful, Sniddle, and dwalker,

I will see all of you this Summer. Its comforting knowing that you guys are going to be behind me on the trail. I will be starting around May 20th, but you all should catch up because I am planning on fishing quite a bit and taking it slow for the first few weeks. Graduating from college on May 15th. Anyone passing through New York on your way to Maine because I have no ride yet?

wcgornto
03-12-2011, 22:38
Gina, Checkout, Spot in the Sky, Skessler, Flybynight, Clairep1791, Blissful, Sniddle, and dwalker,

I will see all of you this Summer. Its comforting knowing that you guys are going to be behind me on the trail. I will be starting around May 20th, but you all should catch up because I am planning on fishing quite a bit and taking it slow for the first few weeks. Graduating from college on May 15th. Anyone passing through New York on your way to Maine because I have no ride yet?

Sorry, you are off by a year. You resurrected a 2010 thread. :eek:

Kepley
03-13-2011, 18:31
You are right, it looks like I was not the only one to do that either.

Thanks