PDA

View Full Version : mp3 player for the trail?

gina811
02-08-2010, 03:18
I would like to have the option to listen to music when on the trail, but most devices are recharged through your computer.
Has anyone found any music/mp3 players that work well for the trail, or any pragmatic solutions to this?
I saw that Petzl has a device that can transfer battery power to your mp3 device, but it seems a bit silly to drain your headlamp power over and over.
Any ideas/advice are much appreciated!

Thanks,
Gina

leaftye
02-08-2010, 03:23
I prefer portable devices that use AA/AAA batteries. Some of the Sandisk Sansa mp3 players use these batteries. Unfortunately I don't think they have one that uses those batteries and has a memory card slot.

You should also be able to buy a wall charger for almost any mp3 player. I know there's a charger for the newer non-AA/AAA battery Sansa's....costs $0.01.

Frog
02-08-2010, 07:05
You dont need a fancy mp3 look for one at wal-mart that uses batteries. I got a really small one from creative labs and it has not let me down yet and only uses one aaa that last about 18 hours.

Toolshed
02-08-2010, 07:27
Sandisk makes several very tiny ones that use a AAA Battery - I picked up a Sansa 5 years ago - The forerunner to this Sansa (http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/sandisk-sansa-m250-2gb/4505-6490_7-31565927.html?tag=contentMain;compare).
This model still uses a AAA Battery. It also includes an FM tuner, ability to record notes/sounds and the ability to bring tiny pictures with you.
back then it was $109. They are now $30.

Definitely invest in the neoprene or silicon armband and get a better set of headphones.

If I keep my Tiny LED Screen brightness down, I can get over 50 hours of listening per battery.

GrubbyJohn
02-08-2010, 07:58
Ditto i picked up a RCA 2gig. Runs forever on 1 AAA and fm too

doodah man
02-08-2010, 14:01
I would like to have the option to listen to music when on the trail, but most devices are recharged through your computer.
Has anyone found any music/mp3 players that work well for the trail, or any pragmatic solutions to this?
I saw that Petzl has a device that can transfer battery power to your mp3 device, but it seems a bit silly to drain your headlamp power over and over.

Thanks,
Gina
Gina,
From my previous answer posts to this question in the past:

“On a month long AT section hike, I took a Panasonic SV-MP020 player. It is has 2GB of built in flash memory and I was able to fit 610 songs. The SV-MP020 weighs 2.3 ounces with ear bud and a AA alkaline battery. I made sure my mp3 player used the same batteries as my camera since it often ends up using camera batteries that can no longer deliver the high current demand for taking photos. Those ‘used’ batteries still have plenty of juice left for hours of music from a low current draw mp3 player. With a new alkaline battery, I have gotten between 75 to 80 hours of play time, depending on EQ & volume settings, etc. I custom ripped music from my CDs at a low effective bit rate and also used a low pass filter setting to remove content over 15.2 KHz. The low pass filter makes smaller file size due to 32KHz encoding versus the normal 44KHz encoding for standard 22KHz digital music. In addition to file size benefits, typical ear buds just don't do high frequency anyhow, so those data bits are wasted. I spent a couple of days playing around with the rip settings to find ones with decent sound quality with minimum file size.”

I still see those players on eBay once in a while. I like them so much, I bought a couple back-ups there. doodah-man

BrianLe
02-08-2010, 14:27
I wonder how long AAA battery units will still be available? I just picked up a backup MP3 player for this reason, a Sansa unit as Toolshed mentioned --- specifically I got the Sandisk Sansa m250 MP3 player, 2 GB flash memory (not expandable). First impressions for this are good. The UI is pretty intuitive, shouldn't be hard to figure out (remember) how to do various things with this.
Feels a little flimsy, no idea how well it will last on a long hike.
My Creative MuVo did well in that regard on the PCT, feels a little "looser" now but still works fine.

One factor for me is finding a device that's DRM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management) compliant, as it can get hard to get audiobook content on devices that are not. Both my MuVo and this new Sandisk unit are, or more specifically, they're both on the list of devices supported by the audiobook company I've been using, audible.com (http://www.audible.com).

Indeed, the compression settings make a difference, as doodah man says; if I were a bit less lazy I'd convert more of my music to wma format.

gina811
02-08-2010, 16:32
Wow, THANK YOU everyone for your advice!!! I really appreciate it!!!!

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 16:36

Thanks,
Gina

I have the Sansa Clip. It's a great lil 2GB device, gives about 30hrs playback with its OLED display on shuffle mode. It charges via MiniUSB in about 1/2hr.

doodah man
02-08-2010, 20:44
..... I got the Sandisk Sansa m250 MP3 player, 2 GB flash memory (not expandable). First impressions for this are good. The UI is pretty intuitive, shouldn't be hard to figure out (remember) how to do various things with this. Feels a little flimsy, no idea how well it will last on a long hike.

I also have the Sansa M250 mp3 player. The reason I switched to the Panasonic SV-MP020 was specifically for the AA battery versus the AAA battery format. The "dead" AA batteries from my camera will still power up the SV-MP020 for around 10 hours. I get two from each camera refresh, so I get roughly 20 hours for free since I carry the spare camera batteries anyhow. For my Sansa m250, I usually got 25+ hours of play time from a new AAA. Another variable often neglected... pay attention to the earbud sensitivity rating in dB/mW. I look for at least a sensitivity of 104dB/mW (Each 3dB increase in ear bud sensitivity requires about half the input power allowing for lower volume setting to get the same "loudness" giving longer battery life) doodah-man

BrianLe
02-08-2010, 21:02
I like the idea of "same battery in every device" in theory. In practice it didn't make sense for me. Most of the time my headlamp is a petzl e+lite; a set of spare coin-type batteries for that weigh 7 grams (0.2 oz). A single spare alkaline AAA battery for my MP3 player weighs 11 grams (0.4 oz). My smartphone is my camera and has its own proprietary battery.

Blissful
02-08-2010, 22:25
Same here I use the sansa 2 gb and like it. Fine for music.

paradoxb3
02-08-2010, 22:51
i've been thinking about getting one of these 1-AAA MP3/FM 2g players. If nothing more than its something to use that 4th battery in when you refill your headlamp. :D

doodah man
02-09-2010, 14:30
I like the idea of "same battery in every device" in theory. In practice it didn't make sense for me. Most of the time my headlamp is a petzl e+lite; a set of spare coin-type batteries for that weigh 7 grams (0.2 oz). A single spare alkaline AAA battery for my MP3 player weighs 11 grams (0.4 oz). My smartphone is my camera and has its own proprietary battery.

Brian,
I agree, the "same battery for everything" can require compromise... My choices were specific to long distance hiking and resupplying infrequently.
For that, I opted for a configuration w/o any charger. The total weight of all my "electronics" was 9.2 ounces and is as follows:

Pak-Lite flashlight with 9V lithium. (runs 80 hrs on high setting, 1000+ hrs on low)
6mp Camera + 2Gb mp3 player + 5 lithium AA batteries (good for 1,200 photos & 120 hours of music. 2-AA in camera, 1-AA in mp3 player, 2 spare AA)
doodah-man

leaftye
02-09-2010, 17:29
My gps, headlamp and camera will all be using AA batteries. The mp3 player may be the exception with an AAA battery, but I can get a little adapter to charge it in a normal AA nimh charger slot.

Hokie
02-09-2010, 20:23
I recently ordered, but have not tried the Sony Network Walkman NW-E107 1 GB Digital player - 70 hrs on a AAA. 23grms weight. mp3 wma (PC only). $15 refurbished from Kmart. Of course, no FM. Most rechargable players it seems last 15-20 hours or so and then you need the cord to recharge them.

BrianLe
02-09-2010, 20:48
70 hours on a single AAA ?!? Is this a manufacturer's claim, or is there any independent verification? Typical claims for 1 AAA battery MP3 players are for up to 20 hours or so ...
Maybe you'll get more than 20, but I wouldn't count on 70 hours per battery.

leaftye
02-09-2010, 21:36
I don't think 70 hours (with a nimh or lithium battery) is outside of the realm of possibility if the manufacturer claimed 20 hours using an alkaline battery.

Hokie
02-09-2010, 21:54
70 hours on a single AAA ?!? Is this a manufacturer's claim, or is there any independent verification? Typical claims for 1 AAA battery MP3 players are for up to 20 hours or so ...
Maybe you'll get more than 20, but I wouldn't count on 70 hours per battery.

It was on the basis of a CNet review and the manufacturer (Sony) claim per the retail listings in places from Amazon to Kmart. I ordered it for the long 70 hrs which if it turns out to be true will make it by far the best battery range I have used. Due to arrive in a couple weeks, so will remember to post back after I test it unless someone with experience with this MP3 gives us feedback first.

DBT fan
02-10-2010, 00:44
You dont need a fancy mp3 look for one at wal-mart that uses batteries. I got a really small one from creative labs and it has not let me down yet and only uses one aaa that last about 18 hours.

I concur, Frog. I accidently washed my Creative Lab flash drive type player in the washer. After quickly removing the battery, I layed it in the sun on my dashboard for a week or more with the battery slot open. After it dried out, I replaced the battery and it fired right up, display and all and has played faithfully since. Creative Lab is the Chuck Norris of MP3 players.

Powder River
02-12-2010, 16:58

Just get an ipod and plug it into the wall. The battery lasts long enough to make it from town to town. And whatever you do, rip your music at the highest quality possible if you don't want it to sound like AM radio.

Miner
02-12-2010, 17:26

Thanks,
Gina
Just as you buy other gear specifically for the trail, buy your electronics specifically for your hike. Get something long lasting (or has replaceable batteries), small and lightweight. Flash based units have less to break and use less power then those Harddrive models. Many people take the same device that works well at home where they have access to electricity all the time such as a ipod, but they end up having to carry extra stuff to make them work on the trail where they are less then ideally suited.

When I was researching this last year, I found that Cowon makes a couple of MP3 players with good features that also have a really long battery life (42 hours or more). For the PCT in 2009, I used their 16GB D2 model (probaly already obsolete) that also could also take an external SDHC flash card if I wanted even more music (using external card did shorten battery life though). On average I could easily get 2 weeks of usage without any trouble for my listening habits. To charge it, I could either plug it into a computer that I was using in town via USB or I used a small/lightweight AC to USB power adapter that I could plug the USB cable into (I also used this adapter for charging my cell phone via USB). I never did have trouble charging in town (even resturants would often let you charge something while you ate) and never needed something for the backcountry.