PDA

View Full Version : Trail service providers - Outstanding

Lybarger
02-08-2010, 07:10
Taking my time hiking north I have already met Pirate and Ron Haven. I cannot say enough good things about these guys. They are out to help every hiker they meet. These guys weren't around providing such great service when I hiked 10 years ago.

As I continue north who else should I stop in to see?

Lone Wolf
02-08-2010, 08:28
Taking my time hiking north I have already met Pirate and Ron Haven. I cannot say enough good things about these guys. They are out to help every hiker they meet. These guys weren't around providing such great service when I hiked 10 years ago.

As I continue north who else should I stop in to see?

me. i'm well known for my care and concern for the influx of AT travelers. i adore y'all

mweinstone
02-08-2010, 08:47
soon my trails sidewalks will fill with the sounds and smells of such freaks of nature as crazyhorse and wee willy the prince of whales. then the floodgates will open and wolf and his posse will be out in force. look sharp hiker. the south is where youll be inspected and judged. mala will want you to leave the trail for a steak dinner and miss janet may kidnap you to a hiker bash. beware lone unknown guy. lurks the best such as these.head down, walk north, and keep your eyes off the women. your on a mission.

let the providers prov.
sounds like vibram
do you want cheese
the dog has it.

we confuse
stare hard
make fun flavors of food yon dumplings
sleep now, on boards at the place.
and when you write in your notes
think how weird you are compared to old you.

Gray Blazer
02-08-2010, 08:52
Yeah, what Matty said.

mweinstone
02-08-2010, 08:53
was the plywood bed invented out of some sort of shortage of paingiveing devices? what? you ran out of tazers? or did the early rack streatching tourture beds become obsolete when they learned you could plywood someone to death cheaper?

mweinstone
02-08-2010, 08:55
allright allright ill go over to jesters off topic thread and work all this out.

Gray Blazer
02-08-2010, 08:58
I've heard water boarding is nice.

Red Hat
02-08-2010, 10:01
Lots of great folks out there... as you head north see Bob Peobles at Kincora in TN, TOW in Damascus, and there are those who follow the trail just to see who they can meet and help, like Mala and Baltimore Jack for a couple. The magic of the trail is the people...

4shot
02-08-2010, 10:37
soon my trails sidewalks will fill with the sounds and smells of such freaks of nature as crazyhorse and wee willy the prince of whales. then the floodgates will open and wolf and his posse will be out in force. look sharp hiker. ETC.,

nuts and bolts, no-nonsense "how to" advice from more experienced hikers that makes me glad I found this place on the internet. I will try to incorporate this knowledge out on the trail. Thanks mweinstone!:banana

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2010, 18:27
*The folks at Standing Bear Farm are wonderful.
*The guys who run the Duckett House Inn in Hot Springs (Brian and Frank)
are great folks.
*And so are Wayne, Dan, and all the staff at Bluff Mt. Outfitters in H.S.
*Try and find Miss Janet in Erwin, you won't be sorry.
*Whatever you do, don't miss Bob Peoples at Kincora.
*The folks at Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus are amazing.
*And yeah, try and find Lone Wolf, too. :D

white_russian
02-08-2010, 18:31
The folks that run Mountain Harbor north of the Roan are pretty awesome, at least their breakfast is anyway.

Chaco Taco
02-08-2010, 18:49
Me and Wak are pretty friggin awesome

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2010, 18:55
Awesome, yeah....but what do you PROVIDE? :D

Chaco Taco
02-08-2010, 18:57
Awesome, yeah....but what do you PROVIDE? :D

Shuttles
We open our home to many hikers, we even have a hiker room
Of course we cook amazing food for any hikers that come through.

Cookerhiker
02-08-2010, 18:59
Not sure how far north you're going and when, but a few other very helpful service providers are:

Dutch Haus, Montebello, VA
Hostel in Waynesboro, VA - haven't been there but heard good things
Rob Bird of the Bird Cage in Dalton, Mass.
Pine Ellis in Andover, ME

Smoky in TN
02-10-2010, 17:26
Wee Willy is still out there? The first time that I met him was between Hot Springs and Erwin. We took a long break at the spring at Hogback. I lost all motivation for walking and developed a serious case of the munchies.
Some days he only moved from the south end of the shelter to the north end, that way he felt like he was making progress. I have seen him as far north as Gorham. I wonder if he ever stood on top of Katahdin? He used to say that he wasn't in any hurry, that mountain ain't going anywhere.

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 17:45
wee willy, long term short distance hiking

Workstay
02-11-2010, 23:19
I will do all I can do within my financial and temporal limits to get you fed, cleaned up, thirst for PBR quenched and body rested. gimme a call when ya get to Watauga Lake.

Jim Adams
02-11-2010, 23:35
Wee Willy is still out there? The first time that I met him was between Hot Springs and Erwin. We took a long break at the spring at Hogback. I lost all motivation for walking and developed a serious case of the munchies.
Some days he only moved from the south end of the shelter to the north end, that way he felt like he was making progress. I have seen him as far north as Gorham. I wonder if he ever stood on top of Katahdin? He used to say that he wasn't in any hurry, that mountain ain't going anywhere.

Smoky in Tn.,

I summited Katahdin with Wee Willy on 9/11/02. We finished off a bottle of JD and then the light rain turned to snow. We literally ran down off the mountain in the snow and when we got to K Stream campground, we were worried because Willy wasn't there yet. He had been on the summit with us in a cotton T shirt, blue jeans and work boots...no jacket or pack. We were told by the Ranger that there was about 6" of snow on the summit an hour after we got down and were getting ready to go find Willy when he came walking into camp soaked to the skin. He had a big smile on his face and I'll never forget his response..."that was exhilerating!"

geek

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2010, 08:15
Therein lies my problem. Since I dont provide anything, I cant be awesome. :( Guess I will just have to settle for being average joe. Can I get that on a bumper sticker?? Im an AT Average Joe. lol.

sasquatch2014
02-12-2010, 08:58
Don't forget the Mayor in Unionville NY.

If you need anything while in Pawling NY you can give me a shout my number is normally posted at the train stop or you may just see me out on the trail with my pooch Hank.

If your looking for a place to stay in Salisbury CT I suggest Maria McCabe she has a fox that she feeds every night off her back porch.

flemdawg1
02-12-2010, 14:23
What!? No mention of Uncle Johnny?

sasquatch2014
02-12-2010, 17:41
What!? No mention of Uncle Johnny?

I think you just did.

Lybarger
09-10-2010, 15:39
Finished hiking for 2010. Not really a thruhike, but enjoyed lots of the AT.

Best hostels on the trail:

Green Mountain House
AT Lodge in Millinocket
Dutch Haus
Mountain Harbour
Bears Den
Shaws

All of these were neat, clean and every hiker seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Jeff
09-13-2010, 12:52
Thank you for the kind words about Green Mountain House. We work hard to give tired, dirty hikers the best town experience possible.