PDA

View Full Version : the milk challenge

DavidNH
02-08-2010, 09:55
On the video Trek, a movie about thru hiking the AT that I own, there is a segment about something called the milk challenge. Basically, the contestant tries to down a gallon of milk (is it whole milk?) in one sitting.

1) Do people still try this?

2) Any of you try this challenge? how did you fare?

The whole thing just seems repulsive to me. That is just too much milk all at once.

What other food challenges are there?

David

Ender
02-08-2010, 09:57
My stomach would go into full revolt if I tried that. I can handle a little milk, but a full gallon? Yikes.

Chicken Feathers
02-08-2010, 10:01
I think that is ice cream not milk:-?

Lyle
02-08-2010, 10:03
I think that is ice cream not milk:-?

The Ice Cream challenge is well established, but there is a milk challenge too. At least there was one year. Not sure if it really caught on. I saw it on one of the DVDs too.

twodifferentsocks
02-08-2010, 10:05
The Milk Challenge had appeal when I was a freshman in college. Now, it's just ridiculous. There's the ice cream challenge around the halfway mark of the AT, and there's a "can you eat this big ass hamburger" challenge somewhere in a trailjournal of somebody.

David@whiteblaze
02-08-2010, 10:12
Well, I don't know if anyone trys this currently, but the math works out to: 2.1333333... ounces / minute. If that speed was folllowed (and less than 2 % milkfat was used) the challenge could be completed more easily. but I have heard of the three challenges, and I think the Ice-Cream Challenge gives out like a mini-spoon upon completion :d

leaftye
02-08-2010, 10:14
My stomach would go into full revolt if I tried that. I can handle a little milk, but a full gallon? Yikes.

It's not my stomach that would revolt...that'd happen further south. And violently.

mweinstone
02-08-2010, 10:35
the elms burger in erwin tenn at the elms dinner was once kinda a challenge. johnney thunder was intramental in the development of an eating system that allows hikers to fully absorb an all you can eat. his guidelines are eloquent to say the least. from his slow and steady attack to his ice cream finally it is a thing to be hold.

DavidNH
02-08-2010, 11:09
In the movie, a guy who tried the milk challenge through up much of the milk he drank. I think the movie was done in 2001.

I did the ice cream challenge. That is at the Iron mansion hostel. I succeeded and got the tiny wooden spoon. Unfortunately, the place only had Hershey's ice cream, not the best brand.

I missed out on that big ass hamburger. where was it?

Incidentally, for those who make it, White House Landing in the 100 mile wilderness has 1 pound cheese burgers. Yum!

David

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2010, 11:12
hey matty is the elms diner still open?
the diners along the trail are some of the best places to eat IMO
smokie mtn. diner in hot springs
elms in erwin
lous in hanover

Lone Wolf
02-08-2010, 11:16
the ice cream challenge ain't much of a challenge. no time limit and it's cheap ice cream. lotsa air

Lone Wolf
02-08-2010, 11:17
I did the ice cream challenge. That is at the Iron mansion hostel.

no, it's at the pine grove furnace SP store next to the hostel

dmax
02-08-2010, 11:18
The Elms in Erwin is closed...
On the corner where the Erwin Burritto used to sit, a new resturant is opening in March. Its called Hawgs and Dawgs. I hope its good.....I sure do miss the burritto!

Brass Rat
02-08-2010, 11:51
On the video Trek, a movie about thru hiking the AT that I own, there is a segment about something called the milk challenge. Basically, the contestant tries to down a gallon of milk (is it whole milk?) in one sitting.

1) Do people still try this?

2) Any of you try this challenge? how did you fare?

The whole thing just seems repulsive to me. That is just too much milk all at once.

What other food challenges are there?

David

Here in NC, they fired a teacher a few years ago for running such an experiment with some High School students:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/107746/

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2010, 11:52
i thought that the herseys brand ice cream was kinda of crappy also
and i had the vanilla

DavidNH
02-08-2010, 12:00
no, it's at the pine grove furnace SP store next to the hostel

You're right! thanks for the correction.

Marta
02-08-2010, 12:59
My son's friends used to do the milk challenge when they were in high school. Blah.

yappy
02-08-2010, 13:02
ugh that sounds revolting

Pickleodeon
02-08-2010, 13:03
I know someone (not a thruhiker) who did the gallon challenge with milk. He said it totally messed up his system and he didn't poo for like 3 days or something. Also, I'm pretty sure he puked most of the milk out. The body just can't handle that much lactose in that short amount of time (an hour). Bad idea.

I attempted the half gallon challenge at the store next to IronMaster's hostel. It was like 10 am and that was our breakfast. I didn't complete it, but hiking buddy did. Got a little wooden spoon (the flat italian ice style "spoon"). Not worth the discomfort afterward, and I didn't even finish the half-gallon.

There's also the Saltine challenge.. 6 saltines in a minute. Impossible.

The only one I've seen on the trail is the ice cream half-gallon challenge. I think they're all bad ideas though.

CrumbSnatcher
02-08-2010, 13:08
pancake eating challenges/records all over the place! like weasies in Waynesboro VA.

JustaTouron
02-08-2010, 13:12
Never seen anyone try to drink a gallon of milk. But when I was in eight grade on a field trip at one reststop with free refills on soda some of my classmates had contest of who could drink the most soda.

During the next 2 hour leg of the bus ride they had a second biological challenge that many of them were unable to handle as well as the soda drinking challenge. :-? :eek:

10-K
02-08-2010, 13:15
The Elms in Erwin is closed...
On the corner where the Erwin Burritto used to sit, a new resturant is opening in March. Its called Hawgs and Dawgs. I hope its good.....I sure do miss the burritto!

I'm a Dari Ace man myself...

JAK
02-08-2010, 14:13
I know someone (not a thruhiker) who did the gallon challenge with milk. He said it totally messed up his system and he didn't poo for like 3 days or something. Also, I'm pretty sure he puked most of the milk out. The body just can't handle that much lactose in that short amount of time (an hour). Bad idea.I think that is the critical issue, the lactose.

Gumbi
02-08-2010, 14:13
It is not physically possible to hold down a gallon of milk drank at one sitting (or an hour).
It is possible to drink the gallon of milk in an hour, I've seen it done, but you can be sure that most of it will come right back up again within an hour.

XCskiNYC
02-08-2010, 14:36
Hershey's isn't so bad. It's not Ben&Jerry's (and that hasn't even been BenNJerry's for several years now), but I'd put it a cut above cheap generic supermarket ice cream.

The coffee flavor's pretty good anyway.

Miner
02-08-2010, 14:38
The large majority of people who take a dare to drink a gallon of milk throw it right back up; doesn't matter if you are a college student or a thru-hiker. Why do that to yourself? You'll only make a fool of yourself while everyone else laughs at you at your expense.

I beleive the AT is mainly about the 1/2gallon ice cream challenge which is a far more civilized challenge that is appealing on a hot day.

The PCT has a 5 pounds of pancake challenge (in Saied Valley; featutured on the Travel Channel once for best places to pig out) that only a handful have ever completed. Fortunately most stop long before they get to the puking point.

grizzlyadam
02-08-2010, 14:51
I did the milk challenge once (not while hiking) in just over 40 minutes and didn't throw it back up.

I also did the ice cream challenge in just under 17 minutes.

mmmm. dairy is good :)

jersey joe
02-08-2010, 15:04
I've heard of the Gallon of milk challenge. The theory is that milk is so basic that your stomach can't handle all that base and you WILL throw up. Your stomach needs to maintain a certain level of acidity.

Another challenge is two pieces of wonderbread in a minute. (No drinks allowed)

pfann
02-08-2010, 15:14
When I was in college, there were many I knew (no, not me) who attempted the 'Century Challenge'.

The goal was to drink one shot of beer per minute for 100 minutes. With a shot being 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounces, the total would be between 125-150 ounces of beer in 100 minutes. This equals out to about 10.5-12.5 beers in 1 hour 40 minutes. The effects were often similar to the previously mentioned milk challenge problems.

Michigan State was the place if you are wondering, but I am willing to bet it happened elsewhere too.

JAK
02-08-2010, 15:25
When we did the century challenge it was 100 oz of beer, at 1oz per minute.
We all decided to try for 144, since that would be 12x12oz.
Crazy as it was, I would suggest that a gallon of milk is harder on the body.

jesse
02-08-2010, 15:26
ugh that sounds revolting

yea. Food challenges are for morons.

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2010, 19:12
In recent years, many hikers have attempted to order and consume in one sitting, the entire posted menu of one-dollar items available at a fast food restaurant.

This is great entertainment, as long as you are not sharing a motel room later on with one of these people.

Then it becomes less entertaining.

JustaTouron
02-08-2010, 19:26
yea. Food challenges are for morons.

I guess you are not a big fan of IFOCE http://www.ifoce.com/index.php

Go Joey Chestnut!

Johnny Appleseed
02-08-2010, 21:39
I eat all I can, which is a lot. Then I drink 1/4 gallon of milk w/ the highest calories. That was the best idea I had for getting more calories-drink them. But to just drink a gallon for the challenge of it, that's doable. Especially if it is GOAT MILK. Can't get enough of that.

6 saltines in 1 minute seems easy-I love them. The half gallon challenge was difficult-I did it but only after I gave up twice. It took close to 1 hour, maybe more.

DapperD
02-08-2010, 22:23
I beleive the AT is mainly about the 1/2gallon ice cream challenge which is a far more civilized challenge that is appealing on a hot day.I believe the author who wrote the book "White Blaze Fever" accomplished this and became pretty sick afterwards, so much so that he greatly regretted it.

Skidsteer
02-08-2010, 23:09
There's also the Saltine challenge.. 6 saltines in a minute. Impossible.

Seriously? That's like one bite.

Jester2000
02-08-2010, 23:24
I think that is the critical issue, the lactose.

You'll only make a fool of yourself while everyone else laughs at you at your expense.

As I am already a fool, and relatively immune to public embarrassment, I tried the gallon milk challenge while in Big Bear City at the Nature's Inn during my PCT hike in 2008.

Because I don't particularly like regular milk, I tried it with chocolate milk. I got through 3/4 of the gallon in 45 minutes or so (I was pacing the drinking in order to allow my body time to process the milk). About five minutes after finishing the third quart, it all came back up, into a prepared lined trash can.

A doctor who was on the trail said that he had heard that the body rejects that much lactose consumed in so short a span. Further online research on my part showed that actual experiments done on the phenomenon revealed that the body rejects any liquid consumed in that quantity in that time span.

As with professional eaters, the body can be trained to accept it, but the majority of those who attempt it have not done so.

I have the whole thing on film, but will probably not include it in my movie, as something similar already appears in one of Squatch's PCT videos

The best (and most thru-hiker-like) part of the experiment came at the end, when another hiker who had witnessed the attempt looked at me immediately afterwards and said, "hey, you gonna drink the rest of that?"

Jester2000
02-08-2010, 23:29
By the way, for anyone who thinks that the milk challenge or the saltine challenge (which, by the way, involves eating six salted Saltines in 60 seconds without drinking any liquid; all six must be swallowed in that time frame), is easy: try it and report back.

They have nothing to do with how much you like milk or crackers.

MacGyver2005
02-09-2010, 15:02
When I was in college, there were many I knew (no, not me) who attempted the 'Century Challenge'.

The goal was to drink one shot of beer per minute for 100 minutes. With a shot being 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounces, the total would be between 125-150 ounces of beer in 100 minutes. This equals out to about 10.5-12.5 beers in 1 hour 40 minutes. The effects were often similar to the previously mentioned milk challenge problems.

Michigan State was the place if you are wondering, but I am willing to bet it happened elsewhere too.

When we did the century challenge it was 100 oz of beer, at 1oz per minute.
We all decided to try for 144, since that would be 12x12oz.
Crazy as it was, I would suggest that a gallon of milk is harder on the body.

A "power hour" is a shot of beer a minute, for an hour. It is tough for most, but obtainable. When I was in college, after successfully beating an hour on several occasions we stepped it up; once to a "century" and once to a "dual power hour" and managed to complete them both. I also managed a gallon of milk when I was younger...all of it turns my stomach now, though!

Johnny Appleseed
02-09-2010, 21:08
Saltines are next to my computer. So I tried it, I ate 6 in 1 min. 2 seconds. If I didn't have lots of pizza I 'd try it w/o throwing three in at 1 time.

Blissful
02-09-2010, 21:16
I never heard of the challenge done in '07. But I did watch Trek.

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 23:21
Saltines are next to my computer. So I tried it, I ate 6 in 1 min. 2 seconds. If I didn't have lots of pizza I 'd try it w/o throwing three in at 1 time.

Better luck next time.

Bronk
02-10-2010, 05:45
I LOVE chocolate milk, and regularly drink 1/2 gallon in one sitting...usually only takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to get it down. A few times I've started with a gallon and gotten about 3/4 of the way through it before I just hit a wall where I feel very bloated and full...that's usually about 1/2 an hour into it...never got sick though. I'm betting if I made a serious attempt it could be done in an hour.

Rockhound
02-10-2010, 10:12
If you eat a 6 lb. hamburger at Fatties in Damascus you get a T-shirt, The honor of having burger named after you and colon cancer. Oh, and you still get to pay $30 for the burger even if you finish it.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2010, 10:14
If you eat a 6 lb. hamburger at Fatties in Damascus you get a T-shirt, The honor of having burger named after you and colon cancer. Oh, and you still get to pay $30 for the burger even if you finish it.

It's no longer Fatties and they no longer have the burger challenge

garlic08
02-10-2010, 10:47
..The PCT has a 5 pounds of pancake challenge (in Saied Valley; featutured on the Travel Channel once for best places to pig out) that only a handful have ever completed. Fortunately most stop long before they get to the puking point.

Here's a photo of that Seiad Valley five one-pound pancake challenge. When I went through in '04, they'd only had two successful finishers in their history. I ordered one pancake and barely got it down. But a gallon of milk is eight pounds. I can't imagine that.

The Seiad Valley Grill was one of my favorite places to eat, ever.

yappy
02-10-2010, 11:00
we knew a guy when we were out in 96 that finished it AND about 3 hrs later had a burger and fries... geez, UGh !

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 11:52
I LOVE chocolate milk, and regularly drink 1/2 gallon in one sitting...usually only takes me about 5 or 10 minutes to get it down. A few times I've started with a gallon and gotten about 3/4 of the way through it before I just hit a wall where I feel very bloated and full...that's usually about 1/2 an hour into it...never got sick though. I'm betting if I made a serious attempt it could be done in an hour.

I also regularly drink 1/2 gallons of chocolate milk while in town during hikes. Keep in mind you have to drink it in an hour and then keep it down. Why guess at what would happen? Give it a try. It'll only cost you the price of a gallon of milk.

JustaTouron
02-10-2010, 11:54
I Give it a try. It'll only cost you the price of a gallon of milk.

and the cost of steam cleaning the rugs.....

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 11:58
and the cost of steam cleaning the rugs.....

. . . and possibly your dignity, should you possess any of that. I don't.

JustaTouron makes a good point, though. Expect the best, but prepare for the worst. I lined a big trash can just in case, because I didn't want to throw up on the Nature's Inn's nice deck or even their parking lot. And I ended up needing it.

yappy
02-10-2010, 12:07
Wow ! I am amazed you guys can drink that much... although choc milk IS pretty darn good..

SmokeEater
02-11-2010, 10:00
The cinnamon challenge is pretty funny to see. The Cinnamon Challenge, in which one attempts to eat a tablespoon of cinnamon without inhaling (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Asphyxiation) the cinnamon or vomiting (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/Vomiting). I have not heard of anyone doing this on the trail but just thought it was funny. I have seen this challenge completed but not by me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNQEcTGkAgM.

Lilred
02-11-2010, 12:36
I have never heard of the milk challenge on the trail until the movie "Trek" I'm guessing it's not a trail tradition, just something the guys did. The half gallon ice cream is a trail tradition. The burger at the Elms was a trail tradition and I watched a guy eat the whole thing. The burger was on the house. Also, the pancake challenge is another trail tradition. I hear the pancakes get bigger as you get closer to the winning number.

Bronk
02-12-2010, 05:39
McDonald's here just started selling 50 piece chicken nuggets for $9.99...I was able to get 40 down within an hour. Couldn't do the whole 50.