PDA

View Full Version : Neel Gap to NOC

Helios
02-08-2010, 13:03
For a person in excellent physical condition, and wanting to stop in towns as little as possible, would carrying 7 days supply and considering going from Neel Gap to NOC be considered feesible? Mileage wise it's only 15 miles/day. I'm trying to plan my hike without riding in a vehicle the entire length, so there are several times when I'll need to carry 7 days supply. My only concern at this point is the first big leg. By chance has anyone else done this?

10-K
02-08-2010, 13:20
For a person in excellent physical condition, and wanting to stop in towns as little as possible, would carrying 7 days supply and considering going from Neel Gap to NOC be considered feesible? Mileage wise it's only 15 miles/day. I'm trying to plan my hike without riding in a vehicle the entire length, so there are several times when I'll need to carry 7 days supply. My only concern at this point is the first big leg. By chance has anyone else done this?

You can make at least 15 mpd through that section if you're in decent shape and start early. No problem.

FWIW, we did Springer to Fontana and finished early in the morning on the 9th day and that includes stopping in Hiawassee and Franklin.

ChinMusic
02-08-2010, 13:28
15 mpd for someone in "excellent physical condition" should be VERY doable with the only wildcard being weather. Heck I think I could do it, push come to shove, and I am no where near "excellent physical condition".

Ox97GaMe
02-08-2010, 15:23
That mileage is manageable. You will not be happy with the climb up Cow Rock or out of Tesnatee Gap with a fully loaded pack, but once you get that behind you on day 1, it wont be too bad. The climb out of Bly Gap at the NC state line will get your attention also, but you should be the start of your day 4, so your pack wont be too bad weight-wise by then.

Helios
02-08-2010, 16:09
I loaded my pack with full water and 5 days supply (all I had at home) this weekend and came in at 30lbs. That, of course, will vary with the different supplies I'll pick up and adding 2 more days worth. Still, not too worried about the pack weight.

Thanks to all for the input. Helped put my mind more at ease and get me set to take this endeavor on.

10-K
02-08-2010, 16:13
That mileage is manageable. You will not be happy with the climb up Cow Rock or out of Tesnatee Gap with a fully loaded pack, but once you get that behind you on day 1, it wont be too bad. The climb out of Bly Gap at the NC state line will get your attention also, but you should be the start of your day 4, so your pack wont be too bad weight-wise by then.

I can't recall - is Albert Mountain in this section? The climb up to the fire tower was pretty stout for such a short climb.

Hyway
02-08-2010, 16:17
I'll be sure to wave at the dust cloud as it passes me by. :)

stacy324
02-08-2010, 16:20
"without riding in a vehicle the entire length"

has that ever been done?

10-K
02-08-2010, 16:22
I'll be sure to wave at the dust cloud as it passes me by. :)

Hey - you're in Wilmington (!) By chance did we meet in Harper's Ferry?

Helios
02-08-2010, 16:33
"without riding in a vehicle the entire length"

has that ever been done?

I'm sure it has. I can't be the only one to consider a 6 month walk to be exactly that? Even so, it's my hike and that's the way I want to go about it. Even if I'm the only one to do so.

I can say I know of a man who went without riding in a vehicle or talking for 20+ years. His story is told in the book "Planetwalker" http://www.planetwalker.org/ and is my inspiration for considering the "no vehicle" hike. I thought about not talking too, but decided I'm incapable of this. :D

ChinMusic
02-08-2010, 16:40
I can't recall - is Albert Mountain in this section? The climb up to the fire tower was pretty stout for such a short climb.
Yep. Albert Mountain is over rated. I was expecting it to kill me and it was over almost before I knew it and the rocks were mostly ice covered. Going down (SOBO) would have been scary that day.

stacy324
02-08-2010, 16:43
I'm sure it has. I can't be the only one to consider a 6 month walk to be exactly that?

I think it’s a very impressive goal Joe. Until I read your post I’d never considered it, nor have I heard anyone else talk about it. I’m sure you’re correct - others have probably tried it and perhaps even done it. If it has been tried, I’m sure someone on this site knows about it.

Johnny Thunder
02-08-2010, 16:57
Guy named....uhhh...I forget his name. He was from Humbolt..retiree...crap, Chaco what was that guys name...did it in 08. Last time I saw him was Delaware Water Gap. Hmmm.

A thing to consider as storms continue to hammer the Southern stretch is that early starters will not benefit from the full tree clearing which will have to happen before the AT is passable in a traditional sense. Good luck to all maintainers this Spring!!!

bigcranky
02-08-2010, 21:45
A thing to consider as storms continue to hammer the Southern stretch is that early starters will not benefit from the full tree clearing which will have to happen before the AT is passable in a traditional sense. Good luck to all maintainers this Spring!!!

I was just talking with a maintainer in SW Virginia and he said the blow downs were terrible. Lots of snow and ice and high winds in the Southeastern mountains this year.

Smoky in TN
02-09-2010, 17:35
Not ride in a vehicle? Have you looked ahead to Maine? That's a lot of road walking, in and out of town. But it's a unique concept. I wonder how many miles that would add to a thru hike? It will be tough when your buddies jump in the back of a pickup and leave you standing on the road.
Good luck, enjoy the journey.

take-a-knee
02-09-2010, 18:10
Yep. Albert Mountain is over rated. I was expecting it to kill me and it was over almost before I knew it and the rocks were mostly ice covered. Going down (SOBO) would have been scary that day.

Yes, it is quite possible to injure yourself going down the south side of Albert when it isn't iced up.

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2010, 18:17
I kinda/sorta understand what you're doing, but your food doesn't seem to mind riding in a vehicle in order to get to the store.....never mind your pack clothes, tent, etc. before you bought it.

Yeah, you can go from Neel Gap to the NOC unsupported, but it won't be a whole lotta fun.

I'd re-supply in Hiawassee, but whatever works, I guess.

And as other folks have pointed out, the idea of hiking the whole A.T. without ever using a motor vehicle can be done, and in fact, HAS been done before, so it's not this world record or anything, and at the end of the day, is it worth it? There are places in Maine where you're gonna have to walk more than 10 miles or more in and outta town, in order to re-supply.

It can certainly be done......but why?

wudhipy
02-09-2010, 18:41
All I ask of the speedsters is that when they pass this tourist pace hiker you don't bump me over a cliff ok.:rolleyes:

stranger
02-10-2010, 02:29
To answer your question...The section of trail between Neels Gap and NOC isn't particularly tough, especially if you are in good shape, so you can hike through there in 5-6 days if you really wanted to. In 2008 I went from Neels Gap to NOC in 6 days was fairly comfortable, but I did resupply in Hiawassee and Franklin to keep pack weight down, as both towns are easy to get in and out of.

There are a few sharp climbs here and there but nothing too bad, some people talk about Kelly Knob being tough but I've always found that fairly typical... and the climb out of Bly Gap is worth mentioning, as well as Albert Mountain, but again nothing you won't see many times over again. Once you get outta Bly Gap the run to NOC is fairly easy, just north of NOC however if another story - Stecoah Gap and Shuckstack are good times!

Keep in mind that once you get north of Damascus towns (and hostels) are less frequent and almost always off the trail a few miles, remaining vehicle free will prove more difficult, the first few hundred miles has a tremendous amount of hikers facilities/towns, it changes as you leave Damascus

Helios
02-10-2010, 07:24
It can certainly be done......but why?

My inspiration comes from a book I read about a man who walked for 22 years and didn't talk for 17 of them. He had a lot to contemplate, and even managed to earn two Masters degrees during this time. I have my own issues to contemplate and have always used walking as a means to think. It's a personal thing. I'm not trying to set any record. Never even thought of that. I just wanted to know about getting through the first resupply leg. I'll worry about Maine when I get there. This is not a speed hike, just a constant motion hike.

Hiking the AT 14 times can be done....but why? :-? :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who answered my question. I'm set to go forward with this venture as I have planned.

10-K
02-10-2010, 08:43
Go for it Joe and good luck.

Somebody has already climbed Mt. Everest but people still keep doing it.

Brian (aka Skippy)
02-12-2010, 14:59

Joe,

I'm dropping in Franklin. I'm going light out of NOC. It's a bit of a haul outta that place. I'm going with a drop in Fontana.

I second your sentiment about quite resolve and contemplation. Folks who say the least, usually have the most to say.

Best wishes!!!