PDA

View Full Version : Average full pack weight?

Sassafras Lass
02-08-2010, 17:28
I'm doing a GA-ME thru-hike with my husband starting March '11. As we're learning more about the AT, it is quite apparent that we're not just counting pounds, but ounces, to maximize the essentiality of everything.

What would you say the average pack weight is, after food and water? We have 14 months and I'm sure we'll change our ideas concerning something or other before we hit the trail, but at this stage we're hoping for a weight of around 30 lbs.

Is that unreasonable? We're getting sleeping bags, he's carrying the tarptent and water filter, and as far as I've figured we're not carrying anything extraneous beyond sneakers, food, H20, clothing, first aid kit, point n' shoot camera, Swiss Army knife, writing tablet, and some basic hygiene necessities. We're waiting to accumulate our gear before deciding on a pack, but say 3-4 lbs max for the pack.

There are many reasons I'd like to hike the AT, but being a glutton for punishment isn't one of them. Surely it is reasonable to want to walk 2,100+ miles and be alert, if not comfortable, doing so?

Bags4266
02-08-2010, 17:39
30 lbs packs for two people should be easy to obtain being that you share alot of weight between yourselfs, such as one stove, tent, cooking gear etc.

Tagless
02-08-2010, 18:00
Bags4266 shared...

30 lbs packs for two people should be easy to obtain being that you share alot of weight between yourselfs, such as one stove, tent, cooking gear etc.

Bags is right on. Tag-along and I averaged 28-32 pounds each fully loaded - depending on the time of year. On future hikes I will try to lighten up even more.

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 18:40
My pack is 21.6lbs dry. Add 5lbs water, 10lbs food..

BrianLe
02-08-2010, 18:50
I think it's going to vary a lot, partly based on your hiking style/process, partly on how you make various trade-offs, and on how much time and/or money you have to throw at the problem.

My base weight will be in the 17 - 18 pound range starting out, and I'll drop about 3 pounds of that (mostly clothing) around Pearisburg. I'm hoping on average to carry a bit less than 5 pounds of water. And 10 pounds of food I'm hoping will be closer to a max food load rather than a normal one --- i.e., load up on food at a trail town, perhaps start there with as much as 10 pounds, but then eat it down to the point where it's perhaps 1 pound or so walking in to the next resupply point.
And I'll be eating less for the first 3 - 4 weeks until I lose most of my body fat --- cold weather might offset that some, however.

So for me, I'm thinking a more average load to carry will be something like 26 pounds to start with, dropping to more like 23 pounds average once it warms up.

Of course these are estimates, and reality might "adjust" things for me here or there!

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 19:01
I think it's going to vary a lot, partly based on your hiking style/process, partly on how you make various trade-offs, and on how much time and/or money you have to throw at the problem.

My base weight will be in the 17 - 18 pound range starting out, and I'll drop about 3 pounds of that (mostly clothing) around Pearisburg. I'm hoping on average to carry a bit less than 5 pounds of water. And 10 pounds of food I'm hoping will be closer to a max food load rather than a normal one --- i.e., load up on food at a trail town, perhaps start there with as much as 10 pounds, but then eat it down to the point where it's perhaps 1 pound or so walking in to the next resupply point.
And I'll be eating less for the first 3 - 4 weeks until I lose most of my body fat --- cold weather might offset that some, however.

So for me, I'm thinking a more average load to carry will be something like 26 pounds to start with, dropping to more like 23 pounds average once it warms up.

Of course these are estimates, and reality might "adjust" things for me here or there!

I spent $2500+ buying the absolute lightest gear I could. My tent, pack, poles, cooking gear, clothes, sleeping bag, trekking poles, water storage containers are all down, synthetic, titanium, carbon fiber, or aluminum. I've seen every piece of my pack as a valuable item. How on earth is yours less than 20lbs?

njordan2
02-08-2010, 19:06
55lbs for one full week without resupply. Don't let anyone tell you different. That includes 3-4 litres of water.

bullseye
02-08-2010, 19:11
I spent $2500+ buying the absolute lightest gear I could. My tent, pack, poles, cooking gear, clothes, sleeping bag, trekking poles, water storage containers are all down, synthetic, titanium, carbon fiber, or aluminum. I've seen every piece of my pack as a valuable item. How on earth is yours less than 20lbs?

How much of your base weight is pack, tent, sleeping bag? You could carry a tarptent, 20F Wm bag, and any number of packs and still be around 7-8 pounds.That means clothes, cooking gear, etc is 13-14 pounds? Not attacking, but for $2500 in gear I'd think your base would/could be a little lower. Just sayin:rolleyes:.

bullseye
02-08-2010, 19:15
55lbs for one full week without resupply. Don't let anyone tell you different. That includes 3-4 litres of water.

I did the 100 Mile Wilderness in '04 with 8 days of food, tarptent, 20F bag, etc. and came in at 32 pounds. I don't think I ever carried 3-4 liters of water on the AT, and I'm a water hog. 2L is the max I think I've ever carried.

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 19:17
How much of your base weight is pack, tent, sleeping bag? You could carry a tarptent, 20F Wm bag, and any number of packs and still be around 7-8 pounds.That means clothes, cooking gear, etc is 13-14 pounds? Not attacking, but for $2500 in gear I'd think your base would/could be a little lower. Just sayin:rolleyes:.

I own a Tarptent Contrail w/6 Titanium Stakes, 20F Sub Kilo Bag @1.3lbs, and Gregory Z55 at 3.4lbs. All my cooking is Titanium, every piece. Clothes, the heaviest piece is 19ounces and that's my REI Taku jacket. I carry 2 Sigg's, .4ounces lighter than Nalgene's each. ***?? I need to re-evaluate my medical/toiletries kit. I am taking a Thermarest for the winter at the least, thats almost 2lbs.

beakerman
02-08-2010, 19:19

I know you say 3-4 liters of water but that's a lot to carry. Are you talking no resupply on water too? If that's the case then 3-4 liters is no where near enough.

That seems heavy even by my standards and I'm not a ul'er. I hammock but my tent would only add 1.5 pounds in a straight swap.

For food/day I typically go 1pound /day and I carry 2-3 liters of water and plan on refilling water every day or at least day and a half.

Using the above food "rations" I come up to around 45 pounds with my old rig. So 55...really?

leaftye
02-08-2010, 19:22
PCT is different, but my heaviest pack load right now is around 45 lbs. That's with 10+ liters of water, about a week of food and most of my clothes. I'm still figuring things out, but I think most times my pack may average around 35 lbs. It should get significantly lighter in the warmer season in areas where water is abundant.

JAK
02-08-2010, 19:27
You can save alot of weight with clothing if you have basically one set of clothing for the worst conditions, and keep the weight of wind and rain shell to a mininum. Not as gross as it sounds, because most days you are using only a few layers, and different layers can be used as your underwear. Still, I like a single pair of cotton flannel boxers or boxer briefs. I don't have to wear them everyday, because the other layers can serve as underwear, and even though they are cotton, which is a no-no, it is easy to soak this single item of cotton with boiling water, rinse and squeeze dry. I sometimes wear them on my head to dry them out. Anyhow, I think it is a light weight and hygenic way to go. Easier and lighter and I think more hygenic than juggling extra sets of dirty laundry.

Arizona
02-08-2010, 19:34

$2500??? I paid about a third of what you paid, and my base weight is less than half of yours. Did you shop at REI or something?

I think it should be easy to achieve a pack weight [includes food water and fuel] of under 30 pounds. Check out some of the equipment lists that people have posted on Whiteblaze.

The Solemates
02-08-2010, 19:39
we hiked as a couple on the AT and my pack weight at its heaviest winter weight with a full week resupply and water for the trail was 34 lbs, while my wife's was 28 lbs. once the weather got warmer a full week resupply and trail water came it at around 26 lbs for me and 20 lbs for her. i would not consider ourselves ultralight...maybe just lightweight backpackers. these weights were with a gas stove, full tent, and water filter.

BrianLe
02-08-2010, 20:18
"How on earth is yours less than 20lbs?"

Details are in my gear list (http://postholer.com/journal/viewGearlist.php?sid=778e621a1d83ee3d2b448d1e88492 801&event_id=533), best to just compare categories where possible and see where the bigger differences are. This is the list for a Feb 25 start; at Pearisburg I plan to swap to a lighter sleeping bag (32F bag), ship home the first 13 items in the first (clothing) list there, replacing the parka with a 10 oz thermawrap jacket --- should have base weight at about 13.5 pounds then.

Maybe not, too. Once actually on the trail for a while and stronger, mentally and physically up to speed I think a lot of thru-hikers relax a little about pack weight, sometimes start carrying something that doesn't fit the U.L. mindset just because it pleases them to do so ... we all vary in this regard.

I'm definitely not aggressive when it comes to packing light, lots of folks go a lot leaner than I do. We each set the balance point where we want it between safety+camp-comfort on the one side and lower weight on the other.

4shot
02-08-2010, 20:48
$2500??? I paid about a third of what you paid, and my base weight is less than half of yours. Did you shop at REI or something?

one time and flew to Maine (nonstop) with a carry on bag of 8 lbs. Got a free upgrade to first class, drank 4 Beefeater's and tonics for free and 1 bag of pretzels.I dare anyone to top this!!!.

Pootz
02-08-2010, 21:05
Pack weight with: winter gear, 5 days food, 2 liters of water. 26 pounds.

GeneralLee10
02-08-2010, 21:08
Details are in my gear list (http://postholer.com/journal/viewGearlist.php?sid=778e621a1d83ee3d2b448d1e88492 801&event_id=533), best to just compare categories where possible and see where the bigger differences are. This is the list for a Feb 25 start; at Pearisburg I plan to swap to a lighter sleeping bag (32F bag), ship home the first 13 items in the first (clothing) list there, replacing the parka with a 10 oz thermawrap jacket --- should have base weight at about 13.5 pounds then.

Maybe not, too. Once actually on the trail for a while and stronger, mentally and physically up to speed I think a lot of thru-hikers relax a little about pack weight, sometimes start carrying something that doesn't fit the U.L. mindset just because it pleases them to do so ... we all vary in this regard.

I'm definitely not aggressive when it comes to packing light, lots of folks go a lot leaner than I do. We each set the balance point where we want it between safety+camp-comfort on the one side and lower weight on the other.

Wow! Dude, you can fit all that stuff into that Pack? A site I would have to see. No..., I am not knocking you just alot of stuff for such a small pack. I have the ULA Circuit and it has more cubic inches than your pack. And mine is mostly full with what little gear I have. Good work though I must say.:)

bigcranky
02-08-2010, 21:36
What would you say the average pack weight is, after food and water? We have 14 months and I'm sure we'll change our ideas concerning something or other before we hit the trail, but at this stage we're hoping for a weight of around 30 lbs.

Starting in Georgia with 30 pound packs will put you among the lightest 10 or 20 percent, I would estimate. Seriously, you will be amazed at what people are carrying on the trail.... If I had to hazard a guess, I would say the average of the hikers I've met was in the low 40s starting out, but the range is pretty wide.

But, as a couple you can save some weight here are there, and those savings add up. For example, a two-person tarptent is only about 50% heavier than a one person. You only need to carry one filter (or one bottle of Aqua Mira solution -- way lighter and works just as well.) One kitchen kit, one map, one guidebook, etc. This will save several pounds overall. When my wife and I hike, our total pack weight ends up being around 25-30 pounds each (usually a little more for me, since her clothing weighs less than mine, and I take the tent.) So this is a very achievable starting weight if you are careful.

That said, it can be very cold in March in north Georgia, so don't be so caught up in the weight savings that you leave important stuff at home.

skinewmexico
02-08-2010, 21:46
Wow! Dude, you can fit all that stuff into that Pack? A site I would have to see. No..., I am not knocking you just alot of stuff for such a small pack. I have the ULA Circuit and it has more cubic inches than your pack. And mine is mostly full with what little gear I have. Good work though I must say.:)

Mariposa is roughly the same size as the Circuit. At least mine is.

garlic08
02-08-2010, 22:00
Nice discussion on cost. Made me think, I've never added mine up before. I came up with under $900 total for my sub-10 pound base weight (file attached), which is good for low teens weather, not quite full winter but it was fine for spring on the AT. Lots of stuff I got on sale over several years. Just going out and buying stuff now, it would cost a few hundred more, maybe $1200.

The main way to reduce weight and cost is to simply not bring or buy stuff. I figured out, over many years, that I don't need a water purification device, a cook kit, electronic navaids, a cell phone, a blow-up mattress or pillow or camp chair, a camp towel, a multitool, nalgene bottles, thermal mugs, carabiners, a mirror--and life got much simpler, lighter, and cheaper.

Mags
02-08-2010, 22:09
I spent $2500+ buying the absolute lightest gear I could.

Damn...that's a lot of cash for backpacking gear..and heavier gear at that.

Spend ~$15 more bucks and read this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I'd argue that other than the sleeping bag, you DO NOT have to pay top money to get below 15 lbs BPW (or perhaps even 10) to
get good quality, functional and light gear.

:sun

hmm... I must be doing something wrong. On the PCT, I carried 10 days of food, an ice axe and had 2 liters of water to start. 41 lbs. :sun

...and adding to the list..here are my lists:

My current one:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Mags-Gear-List.html

My evolving list from over the years:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/gear_lists.html

SurferNerd
02-08-2010, 22:23
Damn...that's a lot of cash for backpacking gear..and heavier gear at that.

Spend ~$15 more bucks and read this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I'd argue that other than the sleeping bag, you DO NOT have to pay top money to get below 15 lbs BPW (or perhaps even 10) to
get good quality, functional and light gear.

:sun

hmm... I must be doing something wrong. On the PCT, I carried 10 days of food, an ice axe and had 2 liters of water to start. 41 lbs. :sun

...and adding to the list..here's my lists:

My current one:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Mags-Gear-List.html

My evolving list from over the years:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/gear_lists.html

I think I should rephrase my posting to say $2500 total. This includes different setups, not just one.

Wolf - 23000
02-08-2010, 22:32
My pack is ranging under the 4 pound mark during the colder parts of three seasonal hiking on the AT and less when it warms up. I hike alone normal. Couples normal will carry more than a single hike. It is just a fact. In over 20 years of hiking I have never met or heard of a couple traveling exceptionally lightweight. Even with that said, having a goal of 30 pounds, you shouldn't have any problems doing that.

Wolf

Blissful
02-08-2010, 22:37

Good for a March start for sure. Will be lower when you hit summer and you shed the winter gear and sleeping bag.

JAK
02-08-2010, 22:42
Wolf-23000
Why don't you talk in terms of total skin out weight, less food?
It would mean more to me. Also the minimum temp for a given weight.

bullseye
02-08-2010, 23:42
I own a Tarptent Contrail w/6 Titanium Stakes, 20F Sub Kilo Bag @1.3lbs, and Gregory Z55 at 3.4lbs. All my cooking is Titanium, every piece. Clothes, the heaviest piece is 19ounces and that's my REI Taku jacket. I carry 2 Sigg's, .4ounces lighter than Nalgene's each. ***?? I need to re-evaluate my medical/toiletries kit. I am taking a Thermarest for the winter at the least, thats almost 2lbs.

You're on the right track, but you need to put everything on a scale (or not). REI site says the 20F Sub Kilo is 29 ounces (1.8 pounds). It's the little things that add up. Things like 1st aid/ toiletry kits and the like are usually good places to get rid of extra weight. A 19oz jacket will go away once warm weather comes. Trail miles also have a way of helping you decide what you don't need. If not, when you get to Winton he'll fix you up.:D

SurferNerd
02-09-2010, 00:07
You're on the right track, but you need to put everything on a scale (or not). REI site says the 20F Sub Kilo is 29 ounces (1.8 pounds). It's the little things that add up. Things like 1st aid/ toiletry kits and the like are usually good places to get rid of extra weight. A 19oz jacket will go away once warm weather comes. Trail miles also have a way of helping you decide what you don't need. If not, when you get to Winton he'll fix you up.:D

I own the Sub Kilo +. Sorry I couldn't find the plus key on my phone's keyboard. It's slighter lighter and warmer than the regular model. I'm gonna dig through the kits later this week since we just got snowed in again Nashville, we'll see what weighs so darn much.

bullseye
02-09-2010, 00:12
I own the Sub Kilo +. Sorry I couldn't find the plus key on my phone's keyboard. It's slighter lighter and warmer than the regular model. I'm gonna dig through the kits later this week since we just got snowed in again Nashville, we'll see what weighs so darn much.

Heh Heh, spoken like a true gear head. Your pack weighs 21.6 and you want to know what weighs so much. Don't worry, Brianle will wait for you if you can't keep up due to all that extra weight:rolleyes:.

Stir Fry
02-09-2010, 00:13
30# is good for 2, 1 lt. of water is enough to start. I have done springer to neels gap several times, and you will pass water every 3-4 miles. Only 3 days to neels ssoe you do not need that much food.

danahy
02-09-2010, 00:32
Some of those posts about having 55lbs seems a bit extreme to me. I understand colder weather provides for heavier gear, ie sleeping bag, layers etc. I'm hiking the AT for the first time this summer for a week and I plan to have really no more than 26lbs in my (hopefully) Gregory Jade pack w. 50L start weight 2lbs 15oz, which is light and comfortable; certainly contours to my small frame. I guess I'm a light packer which will be beneficial for me in the long run!

BrianLe
02-09-2010, 00:43
"Wow! Dude, you can fit all that stuff into that Pack?"

I've had that reaction from others. It's possible I carry a few more items than average (?), but I think it's more that my list is more detailed and complete --- if I'm carrying it, it's on the list (and thus my base weight calculation is pretty "honest" too). Bottom line though, is what the total base weight is (add just under 5 pounds if you prefer Skin-out weight ...); I have no problem fitting what I carry into a Mariposa Plus. Doing the Sierras on the PCT got close to the limit when I decided that the bear can really needed to fit INside the pack, but even then it was just a matter of carrying more stuff in the external mesh.

"Don't worry, Brianle will wait for you if you can't keep up due to all that extra weight.:rolleyes:"

Gadget ain't waiting for anyone --- I'm starting with one triple crowner and another who's almost there, so I'm just hoping to not be the weak link in the chain. Granted, they're both a bit older than me, but still ...

My bottom line on gear is still "find the right balance for you". Mags is happy at just under a 9 pound base weight, and that's great. If after analysis the O.P. is happy with a 21+ pound base weight, that's also great. In warmer weather I'm happy with about 13.5 pounds. It's not a competition (or at least, it shouldn't be ...).

leaftye
02-09-2010, 02:27

2 liters from the border all the way to Lake Morena, or did you risk the creeks that the guidebooks say may be contaminated by livestock?

BrianLe
02-09-2010, 03:38
I think the only creek short of Lake Morena is Hauser, and at least in my year it was dry at thru-hiker starting season (late April). It's the ice axe from the start that gets me ... maybe in a high snow year or early start it would be worth having on Fuller Ridge or Baden-Powell but I think most folks pick up an axe about 700 miles in.

What he's talking about there sounds more like starting into the Sierras --- ice axe and just two liters of water and a maximum trip pack weight. That's the only time I carried over 40 pounds, though I think I started in the upper 40's until I ate down some of that ...

bullseye
02-09-2010, 07:21
My bottom line on gear is still "find the right balance for you". ............It's not a competition (or at least, it shouldn't be ...).

Sage advice for the OP (and everyone else):sun

GeneralLee10
02-09-2010, 09:28
Mariposa is roughly the same size as the Circuit. At least mine is.

Ah, your correct. I did not look at the main body c.i. I will apologize for what I said then. BrianLe sorry:o:)

Hokie
02-09-2010, 09:29
Skin out for winter is 21 lbs for me. Take some off for summer of course.
Skin out with 5 days of food and water (calculated on 1/2L water average being carried at any one time) is 29 1/2 lbs. Still trying to drop my 21 lb base, but reluctant to give up some luxery items like "doors" on my tarp (hammock hanger) and more socks then most because I have a terrible challenge with blisters and often wear 3 layers of socks and heavier shoes than the Montrail Hardrocks I originally started with. Also went from lighter Mariposa pack to the Osprey Exos 46 which adds an extra pound alone - luxury item but enjoying it. The key IMHO is to do exactly what Brian did and honestly list everything and then reconsider what you really need vs want. It is all up to individual choices at that point informed by some "test runs" on shorter hikes to tweak it. I learn a lot just reading the debates on WB about what to take.

GeneralLee10
02-09-2010, 09:56
To me, my :-? is, that your body has already become used to the "skin out" clothing weight. So that in mind, the weight should not be figured in to your pack weight.:) What goes in/on your pack is what your pack weight is. Your body is or should be used to having the weight of shoes on. Most all Americans wear them. The boots mite be a little bit more in weight. I just don't factor those items in to my pack weight, just my way of thinking. Yes, I have not added my phone(5oz) in that will be a must have item. But seriously that is in your pocket most of the day too. If it's in/on your pack on your back, than it is the pack weight.:D

I agree with the, It's not a competition. It is fun to see what others carry. We all learn from it in time.

tzbrown
02-09-2010, 10:29
Camping as a couple has advantages and disadvantages.
In a tent we can be much lighter than in our hammocks.

Attached is the gear list we used for July 09, with hammocks and underquilts, there is a wide range of options included and the weights are in grams for individual pieces then to pounds at the end.
This included 3 days of food and is definitely not UL, with a jet boil and lots of toilet gear.

Skin out with food and water 28.66 and 19.02

Mags
02-09-2010, 12:59
2 liters from the border all the way to Lake Morena, or did you risk the creeks that the guidebooks say may be contaminated by livestock?

This was from Kennedy Meadows to VVR. I should have added "to start the stretch in the Sierra".

I forget how many liters I carried for the stretch from the border to Lake Morena to be honest. Probably 3 as Hauser Creek was not running that year.

If after analysis the O.P. is happy with a 21+ pound base weight, that's also great. In warmer weather I'm happy with about 13.5 pounds. It's not a competition (or at least, it shouldn't be ...).

No, it's not. However, the OP stated that he can't understand how anyone can get below 21 lbs. For the record, notice I never stated my BPW. :)

As an aside, a buddy of mine who does more camping than hiking when backpacking, is at 17 lbs BPW. He has canister stove, a primaloft type jacket, a "light" thermarest, a framed GoLite pack and a traditional two person tent (he did not see the reason to replace his tent as it works and he went through so much hassle with BigSky to get a new tent..but that's another story).

I don't think it is too hard to get to 15-20lbs BPW with new gear (if the person is in the position to replace their gear). And this new gear does not sacrifice in functionality and safety compared to older, traditional gear.

bullseye
02-09-2010, 17:11
To me, my :-? is, that your body has already become used to the "skin out" clothing weight. So that in mind, the weight should not be figured in to your pack weight.:) What goes in/on your pack is what your pack weight is. Your body is or should be used to having the weight of shoes on. Most all Americans wear them. The boots mite be a little bit more in weight. I just don't factor those items in to my pack weight, just my way of thinking. Yes, I have not added my phone(5oz) in that will be a must have item. But seriously that is in your pocket most of the day too. If it's in/on your pack on your back, than it is the pack weight.:D

I agree with the, It's not a competition. It is fun to see what others carry. We all learn from it in time.

The reason a lot of folks talk about skin out weight is b/c at one point in time (and still today) folks would obsess about base pack weight (loaded pack minus food, water, + fuel). In order to claim a lighter base pack weight some folks would go to the point of putting items on their person and claim it's not in the pack so its not in that equation. Hence skin out, which means if it's on your person it's in that weight. It's a more honest, albeit obsessive, measure of your gear on a hike. Skin out weight isn't added to the pack weight, but to the total weight.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter - if your the guy who says you can't get below 55lbs that's cool, and if your the guy who hikes with a sawed off toothbrush and latest lightest gear that's cool too. Nobody else is carrying it for you so they can go take a hike...........:rolleyes:

SurferNerd
02-10-2010, 00:00
Ok, guys and gals, I ripped open my pack today and sifted through every single item, weighing it, and deciding its importance. I've got my pack down from 21.6 to 17.509375lbs, not a bad job...

BrianLe
02-10-2010, 00:58
Well of course *I* think that a 17.5 pound baseweight for a late Feb start is by definition the "right answer" ... :-)

Seriously, great job, 4 pounds is a lot to drop. I hope it turns out to be the right balance for you of "needed & carried" versus "not needed and left home".

thelowend
02-10-2010, 01:49

Check out a ULA or gossamer gear back.. both around 1-2 pounds. also, try a ridgerest instead of a thermarest. that's about 2 lbs right there.

tammons
02-10-2010, 02:08
For two people 30# is not bad.

If you have not bought all your Eq, just buy ultralight stuff and it does not have to cost a fortune.

What I say is try to hit a 6-7# big four for a 3 season rig.

If you own it and are over that start cutting back or swap out.
If you dont own it yet, buy what fits in that weight goal.

A sample would be a neoair long/ or thermarest prolite short/ or blue pad, campmor 20DF down bag, half of a tarp tent (2 people) and a gossemer gear miraposa plus or other pack at around 24oz. That will put you between 6-7#. If you can go lighter at more $, like an ultra 20 quilt, lighter pad even better.

The rest of your gear (3 season) should fit in 6-7#. That is more challenging, but if you shop it, not too bad. I would suggest building or making what you can, salvation army for nylon camp clothes, silk shirt, nylon pants etc. Spend good $ on clothing, IE merino johns, pants, shirt, merino socks, good gloves, and something like a Montbell thermawrap parka.

If it does not fit in 7# max then toss it or skip it.

At a 13# base, IE 6# big four plus 7# for the rest of your gear, add 2# of food/fuel per day, 5 days max, 2L of H20 and that will put you at 28# loaded.

stranger
02-10-2010, 02:38
I don't know what the "average" is but whatever it is it's probably more than I want to carry...

Many hikers I know are able to keep total pack weights at 25lbs or less with one liter of water and 3-4 days of food, and I would have to say that's consistent with my experiences as well. And that's not splitting gear, that's solo hikers.

SurferNerd
02-10-2010, 12:15
Well of course *I* think that a 17.5 pound baseweight for a late Feb start is by definition the "right answer" ... :-)

Seriously, great job, 4 pounds is a lot to drop. I hope it turns out to be the right balance for you of "needed & carried" versus "not needed and left home".

Well I'm getting maildrops, so instead of carrying a huge supply of consumables, just carry what I need until the next drop. One A Days, Motrin, Matches. Took my medicine kit apart, don't need 6 sheets of moleskin and 20 bandaids at a time, can always maildrop more. Took out my heavy GSI salt/pepper shaker, just gonna go bum some of the McDonalds salt/pepper paper packets. Took out my mini tabasco sauce glass bottles, gonna get the packets at panera bread. Took out a 2oz stuff bag and replaced it with a ziploc. Took out one pair of liner socks, took out my squishy bowl since I've got a titanium one. And I'm not bringing my Sigg's, instead 32oz Gatorade bottles..saved 8oz just on the bottle switch.

bullseye
02-10-2010, 12:42
Well I'm getting maildrops, so instead of carrying a huge supply of consumables, just carry what I need until the next drop. One A Days, Motrin, Matches. Took my medicine kit apart, don't need 6 sheets of moleskin and 20 bandaids at a time, can always maildrop more. Took out my heavy GSI salt/pepper shaker, just gonna go bum some of the McDonalds salt/pepper paper packets. Took out my mini tabasco sauce glass bottles, gonna get the packets at panera bread. Took out a 2oz stuff bag and replaced it with a ziploc. Took out one pair of liner socks, took out my squishy bowl since I've got a titanium one. And I'm not bringing my Sigg's, instead 32oz Gatorade bottles..saved 8oz just on the bottle switch.

Nice job taking that "hard look". Lots of folks get stuck in what they "need". I'm always amazed at how complicated living simply gets:-?. Anyway, when you get out there you may decide that a couple of luxuries are what you need to keep things comfortable. Don't obsess on the weight, enjoy the trip;).

Sassafras Lass
02-10-2010, 17:28
Wow - thanks everyone, I LOVE hearing so many different perspectives.

Seriously - this is one of the most comprehensive, stupid-proof websites I've ever visited that is dedicated to a single endeavor! The scope is fantastic, the amount of real-life anecdotes and suggestions terrific. : )

All we've bought so far are some lightweight mini LED lights that pack a wallop and a new Swiss Army knife. We need to lose some weight and get into better shape and so are holding off on gear choices that would be affected by such a thing; namely, pack and clothing. We're pretty settled on a TarpTent, and my husband is besotted with the Katadyn (sp?) water filtration system. I would have preferred steel self-filtration water bottles, but he insists this will make more sense.

Thanks again, everyone, for the insight : )

WalkSoftly33
02-10-2010, 19:19
Chancelynn2002

Backpackinglight.com has a forum area that provides alot of informative and logical advise, If you have questions about a specific piece of gear or a lightweight technique they most likely have a forum discussing likes/ dislikes, positive/negatives

Researching over the past year for my thru I found my self visiting BPL and WB more often than any other site. BPL mainly for gear and techniques and WB for AT specific knowledge.

Goodluck in 2011!

WalkSoftly33
02-10-2010, 19:30
I read that you are pretty settled on a TarpTent. Dont know if you have purchased one yet but I would like to recommend Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo I think that it has the best space to weight ratio. I used it last summer mostly solo but a few times with a partner, Im 5'10" 195 my largest hiking companion was 6'1' 230 and we had plenty of personal space never felt on top of each other.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=47

WalkSoftly33
02-10-2010, 19:34
Forgot to add, It has double doors as well which is a huge plus for those middle of the night pee runs, one isnt tromping over the other.

TarpTent Double Rainbow or Squal 2 are good options, friend has a Sqaul 2 and loves it. (I tell him he is jealous of my Lunar Duo, but hes never admitted it)

bigcranky
02-10-2010, 20:53
I read that you are pretty settled on a TarpTent. Dont know if you have purchased one yet but I would like to recommend Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo

We have owned a succession of Tarptent brand tarptents, and been very happy with them. However, I would like to second this suggestion. On a volume-for-weight comparison, the Lunar Duo is just a fantastic tent for two people.

bigben
02-10-2010, 21:16
With food and water, no one shouldn't be able to keep it to 45 lbs max for any part of the trail. I'm a big dude, so one man tents don't cut it, and all my clothes and gear are all XXL(read: heavier). My Day 1 total pack weight for a 7 day AT hike in spring is 41 lbs.

10-K
02-10-2010, 21:23
We have owned a succession of Tarptent brand tarptents, and been very happy with them. However, I would like to second this suggestion. On a volume-for-weight comparison, the Lunar Duo is just a fantastic tent for two people.

It's a fantastic tent for 2 people but it's a super-duper fantastic tent for one person.. I absolutely don't mind carryinig the extra lb the duo has on the lunar solo.

In a torrential downpour if I don't want to leave the tent there's enough room to move around, change clothes, cook, go through my pack and keep everything bone dry without feeling cramped.

Mountain Wildman
02-10-2010, 21:49
With food and water, no one shouldn't be able to keep it to 45 lbs max for any part of the trail. I'm a big dude, so one man tents don't cut it, and all my clothes and gear are all XXL(read: heavier). My Day 1 total pack weight for a 7 day AT hike in spring is 41 lbs.

Me too, But my total pack weight will be 45 to 50. A few things left to buy.

ridgerunninrat81
02-26-2010, 00:02
The average weight of my pack was between 50 and 60 lbs coming out of town. Man have things changed in the last 20 years . ha ha