PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what food to pack

Brian321
02-08-2010, 17:40
Ok so im getting close to haveing all my gear to go hiking, But im not really sure what kind of food i should pack, I was thinking moutain house or MRE's, But im just not sure yet, What do you guys pack/recommend that i bring with me for say, a week long hike with no resupply? Thanks.

white_russian
02-08-2010, 18:39
You don't need special food like Mountain House or MREs, regular food will do. Some sort of pasta with some kind of sauce is what I usually eat for supper. The rest of the day I eat dry goods and pretty much graze while I hike.

Mountain house taste good and works well, but they are a bit pricey. If you don't want to think about cooking MH can be worth the price sometimes. MRE entrees are usually a bad idea because they are heavy, but some of the side items like the pound cake or wheat bread with peanut butter or jelly are good though.

northwind
02-08-2010, 18:42
Try this thread. There are some interesting suggestions.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57092

Jack Tarlin
02-08-2010, 18:45
MRE's, for most people, are too bulky, and produce too much trash as everything in them is over-wrapped.

The Mountain House option is wonderful, tho too expensive for most folks.

I'd compromise......get a couple of Mountain Houses (the lasagna or Pork and Rice are very popular) but also look at stuff available in your local supermarket, i.e. Lipton/Knorr dinners, Mac and Cheese boxes, etc. Instant soup mixes are also handy.

For breakfasts, stuff like grits or Oatmeal works, also fruit for the first few days, bagels and cheese, etc.

Lunch can be a sandwich of some sort (pepperoni is great or some kind of summer saudsage). Hard cheese can be used at all you meals. For bread, bagels work grat on the Trail, also tortillas or pita pockets. regular bread, not so great.

I always bring an onion and a green pepper out of town as they can be diced/sliced into just about any lunch or dinner.

You'll be snacking all day, so granola bars , M&M's, candy bars, Pop Tarts, etc. all work at different times of the day.

A jar of peanut butter, tho seemingly heavy, is a good thing to bring along, especially for lunches or a way to add extra calories to your evening meal.

Also think about other stuff like stuffing mix, potato flakes, etc.

I'd bring some butter, either flakes or spray, or olive oil. Also, powdered milk will come in handy.

Lots of stuff available in packets now, like meat, tuna fish, salmon, etc. Avoid cans unless they're small.

Get some small ziplocks, and bring some spices along. At the very least, I'd bring seasoned salt; mixed Italian spices; Garlic powder; something hot like red papper flakes or cayenne; lemon pepper. This doesn't weight much and will immeasurably add to your meals.

Just a few ideas here. Do a Search on "Food" here at Whiteblaze and you'll find tons of other ideas and suggestions.

Oh, and don't forget KoolAid or Gatorade mix. Most folks REALLY like having this stuff along. (Sugar free drink mixes weight much less but don't taste as good).

58starter
02-08-2010, 19:36
Breakfast_ Oatmeal, Rasins, Nuts
Snacks - Cheese- Nuts- One Snickers Bar per day
Lunch _ Peanut butter on a Tortilla bread
Dinner_ Mountain House Meals 2 of 7 day meals rest Rice in a bag with chicken or tuna in a bag.
Drinks _ Instant coffee (your choice) Lemonade packets.
Add a few of your favorite snacks and you are good togo.
See you on the trail around March 19th. I have my first 7 days of meals vacuum sealed and ready to go.

JustaTouron
02-08-2010, 19:44
Q: what food should I bring camping?

A: what food do you like to eat?

JAK
02-08-2010, 19:52
Brian,
I think the best approach is to know what to look for, in general terms, and be opportunistic, resupplying as you go, ideally from grocery stores, but other places like convenience stores and small outlets close to the trail. It helps to be flexible in you diet, but knowing what to look for in terms of a balanced diet, and thrift, is really what it is all about. I think this approach adds to the experience, because it is rather like hunting/gathering, which is also opportunistic.

What do I look for?
The first thing I look for is real food. Less processing. Less packaging. The second thing is staples, like skim milk powder, and oats, or perhaps in the south, grits. The third thing, is denser food, like raisins, currants, dates, almonds, peanuts, other seeds and nuts, all of which might be found in the 'baking goods' or 'bulk food' sections of groceries, but also sometimes in convenience type stores and gas stations. Non durable and less dense foods can also be added to add balance, nutrition, and thrift, because you can eat them right away, or within 24-48 hours. Examples of this would be fresh milk, fresh eggs, fresh fruit, fresh vegetables. Sometimes canned goods can work, especially if you can use the can to replace ae damaged hobo stove.

Have fun. Be an opportunistic hunter gatherer, an outlander, venturing through distant lands, amongst strange people. Be weary of the one they call the Lone Wolf. He will try and feed you with excessive amounts of food, and fill you with excessive amountsof strange drink. You may find it difficult to escape this place they call Damascus.

Blissful
02-08-2010, 22:40
Dinner_ Mountain House Meals 2 of 7 day meals rest Rice in a bag with chicken or tuna in a bag.
See you on the trail around March 19th. I have my first 7 days of meals vacuum sealed and ready to go.

This menu will get old very fast...

Just to let you know. Variety is the spice of life.

white_russian
02-08-2010, 22:46
This menu will get old very fast...

Just to let you know. Variety is the spice of life.

Some of us can eat the same thing every day and be happy. I eat practically the same thing every day on the trail.

JAK
02-08-2010, 23:48
I agree. I have a very basic trail diet. It is balanced, and nutritious, but it only has like 5-6 items. And they are all real food, like oats, currants, skim milk, not something processed and packaged and loaded with chemicals. When I resupply, if an item isn't there, I substitute or improvise. The basic diet remains the same. Maybe one item might change from one hike to the next. On a long hike. I dunno, but the idea is the same.

danahy
02-09-2010, 00:48
I will be taking nutritious, tasty, simple snacks like 58starter's menu; along those same lines. Trail mix, some almonds and nuts, peanut butter and tortilla bread is a must and either ramen noodles, tuna, or rice, and of course water and instant coffee. I am only going for a week, this being my first AT endeavor. These are all foods that I love and I'm a light eater so I'm not concerned. Goodluck Brian321, and don't forget a little bit of chocolate to keep things sweet!

sam bennett
02-09-2010, 03:48
I enjoy buying food as I go up trail.

If you send food via the post office you might find that you've gotten to town; it's closed. Or you're speeding up your hike and stressing yourself just to make it in town for the P.O.'s window hours. The worst is having to sit in town to wait for a box to arrive.

I tried mailing food at first, but I found my tastes changed. I didn't even want what I had mailed myself. On warm days, crackers seem to be even dryer, and peanut butter too heavy. Also, on the other hand, cooler days it's nice to have hot comfort food. Me? I tried to buy food that my body was craving.

So if you try buying as you go, you'll save on postage, and you don't have to worry about racing to get to town because of kooky weekend postal hours.

sam bennett
02-09-2010, 03:55
Also, I'm surprised I still have teeth. I love having Skittles or chocolate covered espresso beans right before a climb. Yummy.

chrisoc
02-10-2010, 11:59
I read a very old book about hiking the AT. Before the days of energy bars, etc. the author recomended carrying cakes of Nonesuch mincemeat as n energy food. He also recomended mixing peanutbutter and powdered milk and a little honey, to a fudge like consistency and carrying that as an energy food as well. His hot food was mostly instant splitpea soup,cooked in a Sierra cup over a Primus stove.

Spokes
02-10-2010, 12:26
Jif Peanut Butter and Honey (when you can find it) gets my vote. The stuff is addictive! Spoon it right out the jar. I ended up going through 2 jars a week on last years thru.

Ditch the tortilla bread- it's a pain to carry and ends up in a ball at the bottom of your food bag anyway.

harryfred
02-10-2010, 12:47
CHEESE!!:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

10-K
02-10-2010, 13:17
you know what I'd like to take with me that I've never thought of until just now?

A Claxton fruitcake. Heavy, but dense as heck and full of calories. Good too..

bigcranky
02-10-2010, 13:29
A Claxton fruitcake. Heavy, but dense as heck and full of calories. Good too..

Excellent choice for winter hiking. Seriously. Love those things.

Off the trail, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

chrisoc
02-10-2010, 13:34
The writer who mentioned Nonesuch mincemeat also recommended Claxton fruitcakes. Said he had them mailed to him along the trail. I had never heard of Claxton fruitcake, but I found them at Sam's club. They are very good. I get one every November. I think they come from Georgia.

mweinstone
02-10-2010, 15:10
only came in here to read what baltimore jack said. he cooks great. he carrys spices and freash food and taught me to do so also.my favorites are pancakes with blueberries and bacon and biscuts and gravie and steaks and coffie and licorice and sardeens and cheese and bagels and pepperonie and coos coose and booze.

10-K
02-10-2010, 19:13
The writer who mentioned Nonesuch mincemeat also recommended Claxton fruitcakes. Said he had them mailed to him along the trail. I had never heard of Claxton fruitcake, but I found them at Sam's club. They are very good. I get one every November. I think they come from Georgia.

They're made in Claxton, GA.... I've been eating them as long as I can remember. I love 'em.

J-Rod
02-13-2010, 00:01
I make most of my Meals...i dehydrate alot of my own stuff...
most of the meals you eat at home you can make on the trail
just got to think outside the box :D

Rocket Jones
02-13-2010, 12:17
I make most of my Meals...i dehydrate alot of my own stuff...
most of the meals you eat at home you can make on the trail
just got to think outside the box :D

I'm amused that your advice to "think outside the box" was itself inside a box.

Please let the plows come through today. I need to get outside for more than shoveling snow.

trailangelbronco
02-13-2010, 12:59
I have grown pretty fond of instant garlic potatoes that come in a bag, just add water and stir. You can even bring a gravy packet. Yummy!!

I also do the MRE thing, but open my MRE's up before leaving and then take just the main course, side, and the coffee. Alot less trash and weight to carry, and you can't beat the carbs and calories that come dehydrated.

Also, raid the truck stops and look for Peanut butter packets and other condiments.

I mean, how much Ramen can one person eat every day?

Spot In The Sky
02-13-2010, 13:10
How often does the trail run directly through a town versus having to get off the trail? I think this is my biggest concern for food- I guess Im worried about the time it takes to travel back and forth from a town- are there usually signs? I have the Data Pages but it doesnt say how far from the trail a resupply is, so how do people usually know?

sparky2000
02-13-2010, 13:15
Look closer at the Data AT pages. They do tell one how far to G = groceries. Right at the road crossing is East and left is West.

Turtle Feet
02-13-2010, 20:18

What he said.... :cool:

left turn
02-14-2010, 11:01
MRE's, for most people, are too bulky, and produce too much trash as everything in them is over-wrapped.

MRE's are bulky but you will not like everything in them. i tear them open and pull out what i want from each one and this saved me a lot of space in my pack and had less trash to deal with.

i would recommend carrying some real food, MRE's are not the most appetizing meals, and they either make a quick exit or they will clog you to no means., but full of energy.:)

J-Rod
02-14-2010, 11:20
I'm amused that your advice to "think outside the box" was itself inside a box.

Please let the plows come through today. I need to get outside for more than shoveling snow.

lol...i miss the grass....and the AT..we got 40+ inchs this week