PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stove Flame Pattern?

Spokes
02-08-2010, 21:21
How do I achieve a smaller (compact) flame pattern on a Bud Light aluminum bottle stove- by drilling the jet holes closer to or further away from the top lip?

I've been drilling the holes 1/2 " down from the top and the flame is just a bit too wide.

Suggestions?

Skidsteer
02-08-2010, 21:50
How do I achieve a smaller (compact) flame pattern on a Bud Light aluminum bottle stove- by drilling the jet holes closer to or further away from the top lip?

I've been drilling the holes 1/2 " down from the top and the flame is just a bit too wide.

Suggestions?

Drill them at an upward angle @ 5/8"-3/4" down from the top of the can. If you like, use the drill bit(after you drill the holes)as a pry bar to make the holes more vertical. Insert the bit horizontally and pry the end up toward the top of the can. You can drill a smaller hole to start with because this process widens the hole.

It will make a slight difference, if any.

zelph
02-09-2010, 14:38
Keep at 1/2 inch and reduce size of hole.

Spokes
02-09-2010, 15:14
Keep at 1/2 inch and reduce size of hole.

I did. Went from a 1/16" bit to a .025 (#72) with just a smidgen of difference. Still experimenting. I really like the smaller diameter jets.

Thanks for the advice!

zelph
02-09-2010, 15:44
I did. Went from a 1/16" bit to a .025 (#72) with just a smidgen of difference. Still experimenting. I really like the smaller diameter jets.

Thanks for the advice!

Keep going smaller till you get the flame you want.

Keep your stove short to keep it going. Wicketize it internally.;)

Two Speed
02-09-2010, 16:17
Keep going smaller till you get the flame you want . . . So what kind of drill bit do you use to make a hole smaller? Will the same bit allow you to move the hole after you've drilled it?

zelph
02-10-2010, 13:29
So what kind of drill bit do you use to make a hole smaller? Will the same bit allow you to move the hole after you've drilled it?

Use another bottle and smaller bit.

Not the results you're looking for.....use another bottle and a smaller bit.

Sorry not to have been more clear on the method/procedure etc.

Two Speed
02-10-2010, 13:33
Oh.

Do you have to re-wicketize the bit each time, and how do you get the wick inside the drill bit? :p

zelph
02-10-2010, 13:53
Oh.

Do you have to re-wicketize the bit each time, and how do you get the wick inside the drill bit? :p

I use a smaller carbide tipped bit to drill out the hole in the bigger drill bit and then insert the wick into the hole.:-?

Have to rewick every time, yesiree:D

lucky luke
02-13-2010, 04:03
hi zelph and two speed,

you 2 certainly your tools!:sun

i am still tinkering about the drillbit that will make holes smaller. just imagine if it gets small enough you can close the holes altogether and reuse the can as often as you like....

keep it up!
lucky luke

lucky luke
02-13-2010, 04:07
meant:

you 2 certainly know your tools.....

is there a way to edit my own post after posting it? can not find it...

greets
lucky luke

geomaniac
02-18-2010, 22:11
I think you would start with tiny holes first then increase the size of the holes until you get the flame that you want. Thats what i would do anyway.

Tinker
02-18-2010, 22:18
Alcohol stoves are regulated by temperature and air availability. The hotter they get the more air they take in and the wilder the burning gets, giving a very wide flame pattern in all side burner stoves. With a small pot (or Heineken can) you're better off with a top burner and a tall windscreen with a minimum of 1-1/2" between stove top and pot bottom (from my experience). I use Esbit tabs with a Heine pot. I haven't gotten good results with any alcohol stoves. They waste fuel by sending flames up the side of the can.

Shannan
02-20-2010, 12:13
A little off subject, but I have been looking for these bud light bottles in the stores around and gas stations and can't find them here in Florida. Have they quit making/distributing these? I would like a couple. I have found stainless water containers in Dollar General for 3$ and they are 12-15 at walmart. I am making a stove out of the stainless and it seems to be pretty sturdy. I did have a problem drilling holes in the stainless thou? Any suggestions on drilling in stainless?

d40mFc
02-20-2010, 20:09
Freeze water in the bottle above the line of your holes, use a small hammer and a center punch to make a divot for the drill bit to center in for each hole you want to make. And add a quick drop of lubricant to the drill bit every few holes.

Shannan
02-20-2010, 20:28
Very good idea. I shaved down a piece of wood and put it inside and used a punch. I also found that it takes a very long time to blossom and I can't get it to work properly at all. It doesn't blossom all the way around. I think the density of the stainless doesn't heat as quickly at the aluminum. I am wanting to find some aluminum bottles.