PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Tarp question

trailangelbronco
02-08-2010, 22:00
Hi folks, Rob from Boise, Idaho here.
I have a question about tarps. I tried my friends Blackbird up in the Sawtooth Mountains last summer. I loved that it was ultra light, enjoyed the breeze until the temps dropped to mid thirties, and then really started cussin when the rain kicked in and soaked my down bag. Tried everything to keep the rain out, and ground cloth had rain coming in on it.

How do you "Tarp Pro's" keep dry in the rain? I have a Quarter Dome t-2, and with fly, tent, poles and stakes, it is 3.9 ounces.

If I were to use the Blackbird or similar model, I'd have to add groundcloth, Bivy Sack, bumping up the weight and still not so sure that I'd be dry come morning.

Whats the secret?

trailangelbronco
02-08-2010, 22:02
Make that 3lbs 9 ounc4s on the T-2. I wish my tent was 3.9 ounces!

Compass
02-08-2010, 22:14
Generally the weather conditions will determine the style of setup for the tarp. With a tent it is always the same. Site selection is even more important. Normally no need for a bivy if you use your rain jacket/poncho on your bag at the end most likely to be misted on. Excessive ground cloth can be bad in blowing rain if left stretched out. You can tuck it under or use as a partial bivy as well. A hammock solves most of these problems but adds others and comfort.

What size is the tarp you used?

pyroman53
02-08-2010, 22:35
Site selection is key. Don't want raiin running off the tarp and back under the tarp where you're sleeping. Avoid bowls. With an a-frame setup, I try to have the guyline running with the slope. This allows rain to run off and flow downhill away from sleeping area.

Site selection related to sheltering trees or other cover, avoiding wind-driven rain, helps as well.

I'll spend a VERY long time picking the right spot, and if rain is possible, I might continue hiking miles until I find it. Hardpacked, camped-out areas are the most critical. Pristine, duff-covered areas are great but LNT discourages such locations.

If wind is blowing, you just need to pitch the tarp lower. Of course, I also don't use a small tarp. 8'x10' minimum for two. Mine is 10'x12' but it's a bit big. Two people, packs, cooking, and maybe invite the neighbors over for poker!!! A large tarp weighs only a bit more than a small one but gives me more options.

trailangelbronco
02-08-2010, 23:26
Sounds like alot of work to me, picking the right spot. I like a bathtub type of floor, just better at keeping rain out. I love my Quarter Dome T-2, when it is unpacked, and being that I'm 44 yrs old, can't beleive that a four pound tent is now considered heavy.

Has anyone heard of the Lightheart tent? They are supposedly coming out with a two man that weighs 2 pounds. Man, that sounds crazy, but worth at least investigating.

Compass
02-09-2010, 02:26
Sounds like alot of work to me, picking the right spot. I like a bathtub type of floor, just better at keeping rain out.

To be safe/prudent site selection is still key. Boats/ships still need bilge pumps. If something that heavy leaks then do not count on a few mil UL fabric being 100% leakproof.

bigcranky
02-09-2010, 08:34
Sounds like alot of work to me, picking the right spot.

It gets easier and faster the more you do it, and for some hikers it's worth saving several pounds.

pyroman53
02-09-2010, 23:15
The tarptent comes with a bathtub floor and makes it MUCH easier. Still needs some careful consideration regarding site selection though. A bit more weight, a bit more protection from the elements and bugs. Smaller footprint. Another tool in the toolbox. A double walled tent has its place as well...although probably not in my pack. Again, its all about the right tool for the trip. If I had to choose just one, it would be Henry Shires tarptent...nice blend of all options. But I'm just me. Listen and decide what's best for you and your trips and style.

Praha4
02-09-2010, 23:26
site selection is important, but sometimes a storm blows up at night that just drives the rain under the bottom of the tarp, no matter how low you stake it to the ground ... my advice is find the lightest bivy you can find and use it with the tarp. Some folks use just a lawn/leaf trash bag..some use a poncho...

I'm using the Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD) Superlight bivysack (6.9 oz) with a Black Diamond Beta Light tarp (1 lb-10 oz), the MLD Superlight includes a half-moon shaped bugnet covering your face. I also carry along a small tyvek ground cloth, weighs about 5 oz. Gives me a 4-season shelter with 34.7 sq ft of floor space at a total wt of 2 lb - 6 oz.

I've tried the tarptent contrail, the Big Agnes UL Flycreek 1 tent, other solo 3 season tents.... they all have their pros and cons... but I prefer having the larger tarp like the Beta Light to be able to explode a pack inside the shelter, change clothes, layout stuff to dry, etc. Those other solo shelters are only enuff room to sleep in your bag, thats about it.