PDA

View Full Version : SpinntwinN vs 2009 SPINNTEX EXP GRACE TARP

DavidL
02-08-2010, 22:23
Does anyone have any opinions on these tarps or similar tarps. I want a tarp that is arong 8x10 to replace my 29 ounce hex3 shelter.

burger
02-08-2010, 23:48
I don't have either, but I've seen the SpinnTwinn, and it's nice--big, light, easy to set up. I think it would be pretty storm-worthy. I actually tried to buy one last year, but they were sold out. I have a cuben fiber version of the MLD tarp you mention, and it's also really well made. They're both good companies, and they make good tarps. You probably can't go wrong either way.

Mocs123
02-09-2010, 12:21
First off let me say that they are both great companies and I have products from both although I don't own any shelters from MLD. I do have a GG SpinnShelter and hike with someone who has a GG SpinnTwin. We were in the Smokies a few weeks ago when we had high winds (45mph gusts) and both shelters held up fine. If it were me, I would probably get the SpinnTwinn for solo use, but might go with the MLD Grace Duo for two people as I think it is a hair bigger. Of course, they are very similar and I think you would be happy with either.

Dogwood
02-09-2010, 17:20
I agree with Mocs123. These are not the only Spinnaker tarps available or the only companies that make tarps from Spinnaker fabric, but IMO also, you chose two very well made Spinnaker tarps to compare. It would be hard to go wrong with either tarp or company. One of my goals was to go to a lighter wt shelter and that's why I also decided to go to a Spinnaker tarp. My current Spinnaker tarp with seam sealing weighs just over 7 oz. Both are very good(well made, high quality Spinnaker fabrics). Both Gossamer Gear and Mountain Laurel Designs are reputable cottage gear companies that I have had the pleasure to purchase gear from in the past. I have spent many a dry night under a MLD custom sized(sized somewhere between a Grace Solo and Grace Double)Spinnaker tarp in inclement weather. I love it! Extremely well made! I have witnessed the Gossamer Gear Spinntwinn set up A frame style many times. Several of my tarping buddies have this tarp. Like GG says in its Spinntwinn ad it's large enough for one to camp underneath it in dry luxury but big enough for two in a pinch. It's among the VERY litest for its size. I am not positive what wt Spinnaker fabric GG is using in their current production Spinntwinns these days. You might want to contact them about this. It might play into your decisions when opting for a tarp if, for example, you desire a bit stronger Spinnaker fabric tarp. Just like SilNy, Spinnaker and Cuben, are all fabrics currently being used in high end tarps. They come in various wts. The Spinnaker EXP, which MLD is now using in their Spinnaker tarps, is a tiny bit heavier than the previous wt Spinnaker they used in their tarps, but is stronger. MLD makes an excellent case for going to the EXP Spinnaker at their website. In all night driving rains I have had NO problems with moisture seeping through a Spinnaker tarp.

DavidL
02-10-2010, 15:10
Thanks for all your great advise. I am glad to hear that they are both good choices. Right now, I am leaning towards the MLD for a few minor reasons. I have a Tyvek ground sheet, but think I am going to try Polycro. Also, I have some noseeum netting bug netting that I am going to use to make a simple one-man bug bivy. I want it to be simple, light, and away from my face. Any tips?

Dogwood
02-10-2010, 19:27
I sometimes use the GG polycro as a ground cloth, but typically under dryer warmer conditions and when there is less risk of it getting easily torn. It's somewhat fragile but that's why GG sells them two in a package at a nominal cost. It has little insulating value, blows away easily, and doesn't make for a pretty picture if it gets muddy. It saves a couple of ozs when compared to various Tyveks and Silnys.

The MLD spinnaker tarp has some hanging loops built into the inside ridgeline. I think the Spinntwinn has them too(check on that though). One of my bug protection choices under my MLD tarp involves hanging a self made 1/3 length(upper body only)Tulle mesh bug bivy from one of those loops by way of very lite bungee cord and a micro clip. The ht of the hung bug bivy is adjustable via that UL bungee and micro clip. It hangs in a rectangular based pyramid from one of the loops. The four corners of the rectangular base each have a sewn pocket to add some found wt while on the trail(like 1 small rock in each pocket). This spreads out the mesh around me on the ground and does an adequate job of holding the mesh in place. I move around comfortably under the mesh and it allows for easy exit/entry under the bug bivy. You could do something similar by attaching the four corners with bungee to the tarp stakes. Just picture one of those mosquito nets hung from a pt on the ceiling over a bed like you see done when folks go on safaris or in buggy humid disease carrying insect areas of the tropics. My DIY bug bivy weighs about 3 ozs, is made from fragile Tulle mesh(still doesn't have a hole after 3 thru-hikes though), cost less than $5 to make, and less than 1 hr time. It's easily and inexpensively replaced if necessary. It's also optional. I don't have to take it if insects are not going to be an issue. It barely takes up the volume of a tennis ball in my pack. I bought the Tulle at JoAnn Fabrics and the UL bungee and micro clip at REI.

If you don't mind wearing a head net to sleep for bug protection that can work too. One piece of advice. All head nets are not created equal. Get the lightest most breathable one you can find if you choose this option. Some can be stifling, fit tight, and impair vision to a pt that I feel is unacceptable. Sea to Summit makes a decent one.

stranger
02-15-2010, 02:22
Check the pullouts...I studied both and this stood out for me, this was 2 years ago so both models could be different now, this was based on 2008 models.

MLD uses a 3/4 inch groisgrain webbing that is sewn directly to the edges of the tarps, where there is a hemmed edge and also a reinforcement, so the stiching is going through about 6 layers of fabric, plus MLD bartacks (42 stitches per inch) the pullouts, twice. The corner pullouts are sewn at a 45 deg angle which distributes the weight evenly across the entire seam.

Gossamer Gear uses a smaller, 1/2 inch groisgrain that is sewn underneath the tarp edge, using box tacks, each box tack (rectangle of stitching) is sewn either vertically or horizontally which means pressure will not be distributed evenly across the seams, which is more likely to pull out.

The difference, MLD had better stitching...hands down, better thought out and more robust...But saying that, alot of people have been using GG over the years with no problems, so perhaps I'm just a tad picky!