PDA

View Full Version : Most Hobo Campsite you've done

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 00:01
I saw a thread recently about the visitor center in Rockfish gap and the old buildings around it. I didn't camp there but was thinking that I could have slept in there really comfortable. That got me to thinking what is the most hobo campsite you have ever done while on the trail or on the way to or from the trail?

The more I head out for sections and the lower the budget gets the more I am looking for ideas. When the section is a days drive that is not a big thing but two days I am always open to ideas.

Chaco Taco
02-09-2010, 00:06
I left outta Harpers Ferry at 5pm one afternoon to do the 4 State Challenge. I got to the park with the big monument about 8 miles out and got caught in a picnic shelter, Big storm cam in and I CBd on the picnic table til 3 am and took off

sbhikes
02-09-2010, 00:53
On the PCT I didn't want to pay for a hotel and so while I was sitting waiting for my laundry to dry, I noticed that there was an empty lot across the street. I explored it and walked through a stand of trees and found a tent set up hidden in the trees. It wasn't a thru-hiker tent. I set my own tent up out of view of that tent and camped out there in the middle of town. At one point in the evening I saw the guy return to his tent. He wasn't a hiker, that's for sure.

KnittingMelissa
02-09-2010, 03:32
When I was a child camping with my mother and brother (as well as some friends) we set up camp way off the trail out in the PNW and camped out in a historic cabin that had been there for well over a hundred years. We weren't supposed to be in there, and we didn't damage a single thing (camp fire outside safely, sleeping bags on the floor, not the bed, etc), but my mother explained to me that we weren't to tell any forest rangers about it because it wasn't legal.

That's about as hobo as I've ever gone, outside of accidentally sleeping for eight hours in a library during finals week.

prain4u
02-09-2010, 05:56
In New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. I slept and "camped" in several unique places during those 8 weeks: 1) Outside, on the ground, in a school courtyard-where I was awakened by a stray pit bull licking my face. 2) An exam room in an empty doctor's clinic. The room was usually used for giving rectal exams. 3) A hallway in an adolescent psychiatric hospital. 4) Between some shelving units in the Loyola University Library.

In approximately 1980, me and some friends arrived in Northern Minnesota to start a canoe trip. We had several hours to kill before the outfitter opened. So, we took a walk to stretch our legs. A cop stopped us and asked us a bunch of questions. He was a nice guy. When he found out that we were going to sleep a few hours in our car while waiting for the outfitter, he said that was potentially dangerous. So, he offered to let us crash is some empty jail cells in the town jail while waiting for the outfitter to open. He wasn't arresting us, he was just offering us free beds and a safe place to sleep. He had no prisoners in the jail that night.

I once arrived at a remote campsite in a pouring down rain. It was almost like a monsoon. I was alone. There was not another person camping for many miles. It was getting dark. I had two choices--set up my tent in the monsoon-like rain or wait things out for a while in the nice and dry privy. I went to the privy to wait. It was large and clean. The rain didn't let up. Thus, I will admit that I made the decision to camp in a large, dry, privy that night. (At least I didn't have to go very far to use the bathroom that night!)

fiddlehead
02-09-2010, 06:07
In '99 3 of us, all thru-hikers from past years and had met on one trail or another, well, we took a trip to Europe to hike the Pyrenees.
We all met in Amsterdam but 2 of us hitched from Paris to get there.
We just hitched to wherever we got dropped off and then camped in nearby farmers fields or whatever.
In Amsterdam, we ended up buying a car and drove all around Europe including the Running of the Bulls, then the perimeter of Spain and Portugal after hiking the Pyrenees High trail.
All in all, except for our time in Amsterdam, we only paid to sleep 4 nights in almost 3 months.
We camped at many strange places but usually tried to find beaches. If we couldn't then we'd sleep in fields, woods, girls houses who invited us home, and once on top of an elevated concrete cistern that was a farm's water supply in Belgium.

Canada Goose
02-09-2010, 12:42
The sun was just going down as I came up on the side trail to Humpback Rocks Picnic Area. Wound up bivouacing on the concrete pad next to the restrooms, out of sight of patroling BRP rangers. Had picnic table, water, and restroom, all within 50 feet radius.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 13:02
the most hobo camp i've done is at Hobo Camp on the creeper trail just north of Taylors Valley. it's where Hobocentral started

stumpknocker
02-09-2010, 13:09
My favorite hobo camp was in the median of US 1 in the Keys when I did the 183 mile "Approach Trail" to the start of the Florida Trail. I slept GREAT!! :)

JJJ
02-09-2010, 14:58
Various sidewalk and park benches in DC for a week.
Often in high weeds just along the highways for a month before that.

JustaTouron
02-09-2010, 15:31
Inside a department store, the store was open all night and had a free standing tent with a cot set up inside on display. I zipped up the tent lied down on the cot and got 6 hours sleep without anyone saying a word.

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 15:35
Inside a department store, the store was open all night and had a free standing tent with a cot set up inside on display. I zipped up the tent lied down on the cot and got 6 hours sleep without anyone saying a word.

Hahaha! That's tremendous.

I slept on a picnic table in Bear Mountain. Woke up late and was surrounded by people enjoying the park.

max patch
02-09-2010, 15:56
i stayed at the Doyle once.

Rockhound
02-09-2010, 16:10
I dozed off at Dots one time. Can't get more hobo then that.

Mags
02-09-2010, 16:26
Utah last year:

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs016.snc1/2637_60735199932_689399932_1419888_380462_n.jpg

The beat-up, empty cooler was already there. The Kamchatka vodka? I packed it in. At $7 per plastic bottle, you know it is good.

Cool AT Breeze
02-09-2010, 19:00
The sun was just going down as I came up on the side trail to Humpback Rocks Picnic Area. Wound up bivouacing on the concrete pad next to the restrooms, out of sight of patroling BRP rangers. Had picnic table, water, and restroom, all within 50 feet radius.
Done that. Need to do it again. Mmmmm, cheep beer and Mad Dog.

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 19:11
In my very early years I slept inside a Goodwill donation box. you know the big metal blue things that people drop clothes in. It was very soft and I just piled stuff on me to keep warm. Today I know I might be able to get my fat ass inside it but not sure I could get out. It was a chore even when I was young slim and in better shape. I guess I'd have to wait for the pick up date these days. Better pack a bunch of water and food!

yappy
02-09-2010, 21:38
We did a fly out into the Yukon and stumbled on a very nice miners camp... munched on someones peanut butter ( we left ramens in return ) and slept on a very lumpy couch but it was outta the brutal summer storms and felt absolutely decadent ,. The owner even had a freaking sauna and showers. He had generator but nothing was running we did get some water though. it was definitely one of the coolest places I have ever stayed. It is really spectacular bush country up here.. we were WAYYYY out baby

Canada Goose
02-09-2010, 21:39
i stayed at the Doyle once.

O.P said hobo, not wino :p. Did you share the room with the dead guy found by Baltimore Jack? Now, that would be really hard-core!

fredmugs
02-11-2010, 11:44

That's hobo and gangsta.

drastic_quench
02-11-2010, 12:19
I was stumbling back to my dorm after an all-nighter of super hard college drinking -- including the after hours parties till four in the morning. I then realized that I had an exam at 10AM that I couldn't miss. So I headed towards campus and found the building my exam was in the next morning. I climbed the external stairs to the third floor, and from there I was able to scramble up the outside of the building to the roof. I used my packpack for a pillow, and had the sun wake me up in plenty of time to climb down and take that exam.

I did get some funny looks climbing off the roof and back over to the stairs that morning. I think I got a B - which was much better than sleeping in my bed and missing the exam due to the hangover.

Montana
02-11-2010, 14:20

Burlington, VT, near the waterfront, during the hitch hike home from Maine. I slept next to the vine covered fence, and woke up to people jogging on the path that I took the picture from. I had hoped to make it across the lake before the fairy shut down for the night, but I of course missed it. There was not a single room available in town, too many fall peepers around... It was actually kind of fun.

grizzlyadam
02-11-2010, 14:51
I had lots of hobo campsites on my MST hike. Almost every night once I dropped down out of the mountains. And, quite a few along the Blue Ridge Parkway too. My favorite on the BRP as either beneath the front porch of the Brinegar Cabin (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89991) or beneath the first floor balcony of the Pisgah Inn.

Another good one was on the front porch of the caboose in Taylors Valley.

Lion King
02-11-2010, 17:17
behind a gift shop at a water park.

cops showed so that didnt go so well, least they didnt shoot me...almost took me in though.

Bearpaw
02-11-2010, 17:46
O.P said hobo, not wino :p. Did you share the room with the dead guy found by Baltimore Jack? Now, that would be really hard-core!

I stayed in the room next to it the night after the guy was found. The Doyle was not a great night of sleep, but it was definitely an experience to be remembered.

Hearing Jack's story about the "discovery" was one of the funniest, sickest parts of my thru-hike.

Bearpaw
02-11-2010, 17:49
I've spent MANY nights in the back of my truck. Only got rousted once, by a ranger in GSMNP.

Napped and ate lunch and dinner (before a night hike) under a bridge on the Colorado Trail just off a road crossing. It was the last water source before heading into a treeless burn area, so I rested and cameled up there before hiking the 10 miles with no shade in the evening. Wild horses nearly stepped on me.

Digger'02
02-11-2010, 17:56
this is my favorite thread in the history of WB-

My best Hobo was in a city/town park in North Conway NH. We hitched from the trail and climbed for a week there but we didn;t know where the campsite was at the bottom of the wall, so we just go a case of beer and kinda hunkered down in the bush next to the river in what we thought was a little field. Well the next day we wake up and there are 8 year olds everywhere, girls sunbathing around us, dogs and no one is the wiser.

untill we roll out of our bags. Lazy Mike was there. Lazy! where are you dear friend...

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 20:37
I've spent MANY nights in the back of my truck. Only got rousted once, by a ranger in GSMNP.

Napped and ate lunch and dinner (before a night hike) under a bridge on the Colorado Trail just off a road crossing. It was the last water source before heading into a treeless burn area, so I rested and cameled up there before hiking the 10 miles with no shade in the evening. Wild horses nearly stepped on me.

Once had one of the snap covers for the back of the truck and would climb in when I got tired of driving and would close myself in. Never had any issues. Did this a lot when I lived in Co and Wyo lots of driving when you live out there. Best was Chugwater. You could wake up and go to the Sinclair gas station for Chugwater Chili.

Mags
02-11-2010, 23:25
Having a pickup with a camper shell, I've done my share of truck camping.

The best was driving from a hut trip near Aspen, CO. drove 3pm to 11pm at night to a trailhead in on the AZ/UT border. So I skied 7 miles, drove 8 hrs and woke up in the desert. Not too shabby...

The Solemates
02-12-2010, 12:45
in penmar state park

in a farmer's field in troutdale

in numerous other farmer's fields

in a depression next to a backcountry road

in a depression next to a major road

at numerous highway rest stops

in numerous parking lots

in a hotel 'side' yard

in my truck bed numerous times

in our wagon back numerous times....including in front of lone wolf's house :eek:

Lone Wolf
02-12-2010, 12:51
on the post office loading dock in cornwall bridge, ct
under lonesome lake hut
in a 36" drain pipe beside skyline drive
in my tent on big meadows lodge front lawn (got hauled off by ranger rick for that one)

Jester2000
02-12-2010, 13:30
in a depression next to a major road

This seems like a classier way of saying "I slept in a ditch."

Bearpaw
02-12-2010, 17:31
This seems like a classier way of saying "I slept in a ditch."

I've been there, but they were called fighting holes. Too many nights (and sometimes days) of my life spent in them.

SKessler
02-14-2010, 19:15
I hung my hammock on my university's campus one night in a little area of trees. I can't say it was a great night of sleep.

Bearpaw
02-14-2010, 20:31
I hung my hammock on my university's campus one night in a little area of trees. I can't say it was a great night of sleep.

Western isn't exactly the quietest campus. Lights everywhere it seems. I grew up in Bowling Green and always ran laps around the hill when I came home on leave from the Marine Corps.

TechnoD
06-29-2012, 09:16
Many places, many times!

In the back of my van behind an abandoned nursing home

In Lowell park down by the river in a cooking shelter ( gates locked after dark, no ranger)

In a city park in the trees off a secret trail, and may try that one again!

Hospital waiting room

Public library!

A girl's apartment after a bash, not remembering going there! :)

TechnoD

1azarus
06-29-2012, 11:55
I had no idea that I was part of such an illustrious group:
il·lus·tri·ous/iˈləstrēəs/

Adjective:

Well known, respected, and admired for past achievements: "an illustrious career".

I am truly proud!

FarmerChef
06-29-2012, 23:34
One night my wife and I were driving back to Chicago from Tennessee. Had to be in church the next morning and a visit to the hospital meant we had to drive all night.

Well around 0 dark 30 my eyelids are closing on the interstate so I pull off at the next exit and pull into the first parking lot I find next to a ranch style office in the middle of nowhere. We recline our seats and close our eyes.

About 40 minutes later I'm awakened by the honking of a train horn and the sight of the lights coming straight at us. Forgetting I'm parked in a bona fide parking space I panic and fumble for the keys just as a UP freight train goes barreling by. Just about wet my pants :eek:

Seems we had parked about 10 feet away from the rail line. Sufficiently awake I resumed course and made it in time to play for the choir.

Also cowboy camped in a field right next to a road on a hike in Wisconsin. Not quite a "depression" but pretty close to it.

WIAPilot
06-29-2012, 23:42
I stayed in the room next to it the night after the guy was found. The Doyle was not a great night of sleep, but it was definitely an experience to be remembered.

Hearing Jack's story about the "discovery" was one of the funniest, sickest parts of my thru-hike.

Oh God. How bad is The Doyle? I heard that it was really "quaint" and had planned to stay two nights there! (Guess that I'll stay at The Hotel Hershey instead!)

theinfamousj
06-30-2012, 15:59
In terms of camping, back when I was in college my (co-ed) fraternity would do a Fall Break camping trip in Pisgah. We couldn't find our usual camping spot and so as it was getting dark, we pulled into a picnic area and camped out of sight of the road and the picnic shelter. I'm sure rangers saw us, though, as the boys made a rather large fire.

In terms of just sleeping where you aren't supposed to: in JFK airport after a flight got in very late and I missed my connection. I slept like a baby, but that might be due to the fact that I was returning to the US from Italy and had jet lag.

Bear Cables
06-30-2012, 16:12
Summer of 1971. Driving with my family, 6 of us in a station wagon, headed home from a 3 week car camping trip out to California. When we got to the campground we thought we would stay in it was full. Being late at night my dad drove to the next picnic reststop along Hwy 190 somewhere around the Texas /LA border and my sisters and I slept on top of the supply trailer. Just knew that was how my 17 yo life would end!

Hairbear
06-30-2012, 17:53
hockey rink penalty box

Nutbrown
06-30-2012, 20:39
Brakes went bad in Tx, and tented in the field behind the Firestone. The mechanics brought beer for our campfire and fixed the car for the cost of parts.

Slept in my 'hotel mazda' behind a wally world in New Mexico. I was awakened by the bikes on the back of the car shaking. I was sure some punk was trying to steal them. Looked out the window to see a herd of cattle making their way through the lot and sniffing the bikes as they passed.

Best ever though, was when my alternator started to die in Alberta. Made it into Montana when it really took a crap. Ended up staying with members of the Blackfeet Tribe and went to a family reunion with them. I was adopted by the tribe because I knew sign language and was able to communicate with one guy who was deaf. Being in that Mazda, it took 4 days to get an alternator shipped from the coast. Have some good friends all around the country because of that little car!