PDA

View Full Version : tent questions

squeezebox
02-09-2010, 04:55
So just what is the thing about advertised tent weights? packed weight vs.average weight, vs minimum wt, and whatever other claim.

The tents I'm looking at are;
Tarptent double rainbow
big agnus seedhouse sl2
rei 1/4 dome t2
comments please!

Maddog
02-09-2010, 05:22
So just what is the thing about advertised tent weights? packed weight vs.average weight, vs minimum wt, and whatever other claim.

The tents I'm looking at are;
Tarptent double rainbow
big agnus seedhouse sl2
rei 1/4 dome t2
comments please!

it all seems pretty self-explatory...think about it! :rolleyes:

Roland
02-09-2010, 07:24
Bryce,

I agree that some of these terms can be confusing because there is little consistency in their use among different manufacturers. For instance, what you just referred to as "minimum weight", might be called fast-pack weight by another manufacturer.

For a traditional free-standing, double-walled tent, the lightest advertised weight may include the weight of the fly, poles and stakes. The tent body may not be included in this weight, if the tent can be set-up as a tarp.

For the same tent, the next higher weight may include the tent body, but if it is a free-standing design, may not include the weight of stakes and stuff sac.

The next higher weight would include stakes and stuff sac.

Finally, shipping weight includes all of the above, plus the weight of the box used to ship the product.

The best way to cut through the confusion is to refer to the manufacturer's website. Although you may have to search for it, most provide an explanation of their weight terms.

Good luck with your tent selection.

Toolshed
02-09-2010, 08:17
Minimum Usually means no stakes and stuuf sacks.
Average means an average across all variations of materials - some tents could be up to 2-4oz either side off the average.
Packed weight would be what comes in the carton - All bits of tent stuff included.

Appalachian Tater
02-09-2010, 13:01
Also, I would not trust the stated weight to be 100% accurate on any gear. Someone like Henry Shires may slightly overestimate the weight while someone like Kelty may underestimate it. Use a good scale and weigh it yourself.

tuswm
02-09-2010, 15:29
I have actually used all 3 of those tents.

My best friend has the BA, it is over priced and by far the smallest on the inside.... $50 for a foot print!>? He uses it as his solo tent.

My GF has the REI. It’s the easiest to use but the largest and heaviest when packed. It’s a normal sized tent.

I have the TT DR I carry everything all the time. The tent in one stuff sack and poles, 8 steaks (6 + 2 extra) ground sheet, extra guy lines all well under 3 lbs. its large enough that 4 of us ate and drank in the tent for hours while cooking out of both vestibules in a drizzle not possible in any other tent on your list. Once with the bathtub floor layer down we slept 3 people in the tent when my GFs GF forgot the rain fly for her tent.

These are about as different as 3 tents can get.

tuswm
02-09-2010, 15:31
Also, I would not trust the stated weight to be 100% accurate on any gear. Someone like Henry Shires may slightly overestimate the weight while someone like Kelty may underestimate it. Use a good scale and weigh it yourself.

I have weighed these tree tent and all three were dead on for total tent + everything weight.

skinewmexico
02-09-2010, 21:33
Tarptent only gives one weight, and it's almost always dead on. Or less. No comparison to those others, and made in the USA. Call their number, the designer answers the phone, and your questions.