PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you put a lawyer, an ivy grad, and a city chick on the AT?

Pages : [1] 2

Covetree
02-09-2010, 10:11
Find out by following our adventure as we attempt a 2010 thru-hike:

http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/

Check out the blog and then the link labeled "official site"

mweinstone
02-09-2010, 10:19
youll all make it. i know these things. good blog. yup. your makein it. as sure as i never will. youll all summit.

Covetree
02-09-2010, 10:21
Thanks for the boost of confidence!!! We need more believers like you!

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 10:23
youll all make it. i know these things. good blog. yup. your makein it. as sure as i never will. youll all summit.

nah. chances of 1 makin' it are slim. 3 together is really slim. thems just the facts

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 10:30
the itinerary listed will go out the window in the first week

Covetree
02-09-2010, 10:34
The itinerary is not rigid but more of a guideline. It just helps to give me a better idea of my daily mileage possibilities. It's good to have a template when you are trying to meet a deadline.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 10:38
The itinerary is not rigid but more of a guideline. It just helps to give me a better idea of my daily mileage possibilities. It's good to have a template when you are trying to meet a deadline.

thru-hiking the AT is not about deadlines and schedules. it turns inta a job.

Covetree
02-09-2010, 10:48
That's ok with me. Along as it's a job that I enjoy.

white_russian
02-09-2010, 11:00
That mail drop schedule is totally screwed up. Franklin, but no Fontana?

Gray Blazer
02-09-2010, 11:07
Good luck! I hope you find the fame you are looking for.

Many Walks
02-09-2010, 11:17
This will be fun to watch as the miles drag on. A thru hike always sounds like a great idea when you're well rested sitting in a warm dry living room with all the comforts and a full belly. Good luck and enjoy your hike!

JJJ
02-09-2010, 11:44
Wolf's right, he's walked and studied the trail more than 99.99% of people who have set foot the AT.
But he's just messin' with ya too ;)
Starting out knowing everything causes the most disappointment and failure, because the trail has to unravel the knots in you before you can even start.
Starting with a group is a good idea if you lack some of the basic skills -you can all learn together with some psychological support.
But, the group is not your hike.
You have to put on your own frozen shoes of the mornings.
Strength of iron, stay flexible.
Always alone, never alone.

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 11:55
So, I'm assuming that you're starting March 1st?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 11:57
So, I'm assuming that you're starting March 1st?

no. march 9 http://sites.google.com/site/athike2010/home/on-the-trail/itinerary

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 11:59
Gotcha, thanks. (I'm terrible at navigating blogs- figured since one entry said "just over a month from now" on Jan. 29, it meant March 1.)

Furlough
02-09-2010, 12:09
Good luck. Follow the trail where it leads on it's terms and timing. Keep your schedule as a template, but do not let it dictate your progress. Be flexible, have fun and be happy.

Furlough

Appalachian Tater
02-09-2010, 12:21
Since this is supposed to be like Survivor with filming, I think Emily Ginger will be the first to quit and the whole thing is over before Harper's Ferry. But good luck!

Also, don't forget to get the necessary film permits.

Blissful
02-09-2010, 12:25
The Lafuma bag is pretty much junk. Not warm under anything under 50 degrees (and this comes from my hubby who uses it) JFYI :)
Hope you can keep your weight below 40 lbs.

And true, itineraries are fairly useless. Hope you can find the time to enjoy the trail.

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 12:42
Since this is supposed to be like Survivor with filming, I think Emily Ginger will be the first to quit and the whole thing is over before Harper's Ferry. But good luck!

Survivor is a bunch of BS anyway. People don't seem to realize that those people are not alone wherever they are. (Yep, the film crews are invisible and they'd really let these people die in the woods? Ridiculous)

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 12:59
Survivor is just pretty boys and barbie dolls anymore. it used to be good when they had real people on it

Many Walks
02-09-2010, 13:10
Covetree, a complete documentary would include the famous approach trail. You should start at the Amicalola Falls State Park to really tell the whole story and get a good feeling for the trail.

JJJ
02-09-2010, 13:13
Survivor is a bunch of BS anyway. People don't seem to realize that those people are not alone wherever they are. (Yep, the film crews are invisible and they'd really let these people die in the woods? Ridiculous)

ya never know.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZbVgn9fZ9c)

mudhead
02-09-2010, 13:17
Lawyer sues the Ivy grad, city girl eats them both for lunch.

Sarge
02-09-2010, 13:54
I also made an itinerary similar to this when I hiked. I realize detailed planning like that doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me and it will work for you also. I made small adjustments as I went along and still finished on the day I expected to. It made it satisfying for me to see that I was meeting my daily goals. The biggest thing I noticed in your itinerary which is going to be extremely difficult is going from Jeffers Brook to Speck Pond in only 8 days. This is 126 miles of some of the toughest terrain on the entire trail and includes the Whites, the Mahoosucs, and Mahoosuc Notch. It doesn't matter how long you've been out on the trail, this section will get your attention. It took me 10 days just to get through the Whites and that included one 15 mile day which about killed me. I found Baltimore Jacks article about resupply/time/distance in the "AT Re-Supply Info" on the home page extremely valuable when I was planning. If you have a finite amount of time consider doing longer days and miles elsewhere and give yourself plenty of time in this section. A few adjustments and this should work out for you.

ki0eh
02-09-2010, 14:09
Survivor is just pretty boys and barbie dolls anymore. it used to be good when they had real people on it

To return this to A.T. related, check out the March 26 event on http://www.satc-hike.org/hikes.html

Sly
02-09-2010, 14:47

Nothing wrong with your "guideline" I can see. Best of luck

Maddog
02-09-2010, 15:01
Lawyer sues the Ivy grad, city girl eats them both for lunch.

i like this scenario...i hope they get it on film!:eek:

Covetree
02-09-2010, 15:34
The biggest thing I noticed in your itinerary which is going to be extremely difficult is going from Jeffers Brook to Speck Pond in only 8 days. This is 126 miles of some of the toughest terrain on the entire trail and includes the Whites, the Mahoosucs, and Mahoosuc Notch. It doesn't matter how long you've been out on the trail, this section will get your attention.

Sarge! Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll expect that stretch to be tough!

Covetree
02-09-2010, 15:37

Got the necessary permits, thanks! Just out of curiosity, what makes you say Emily's the first one out?

Rockhound
02-09-2010, 16:24
The city chick will wind up hiring the lawyer to represent her when she sues the Ivy Grad for sexual harassment.

Covetree
02-09-2010, 16:49
I can actually see that happening!

JustaTouron
02-09-2010, 17:02
^^ followed by lawyer being disbarred for violating state board of ethics. Representing someone suing your own family is a no-no.

AggieAl
02-09-2010, 17:08
Lawyers have ethical rules?

Just joking, good luck and say hello as you pass me up.

JustaTouron
02-09-2010, 17:13
Lawyers have ethical rules?

Just joking, good luck and say hello as you pass me up.

Bunches of them. And quite strictly enforced. The number of medical malpraticein this country would be 1% of what they are today if the AMA did half as good of a job of taking away medical lisences of incompetant doctors as the state bar associations do for incompetant or unethical lawyers.

Snowleopard
02-09-2010, 17:22
Of those who attempt this great feat, only 1 in 5 is successful.
By your statistics, 0.6 of you will be successful.
Actually, I expect you'll all be successful. It will be an adventure.

Practical question: I assume you're starting out with the warm (0 degree Marmot) sleeping bags? If that's the case, then you seem to be reasonably equipped. Toilet paper?

Have fun.

Spokes
02-09-2010, 17:31
That mail drop schedule is totally screwed up. Franklin, but no Fontana?

I thought the same thing! Franklin is an oasis compared to Fontana (or maybe the film crew will set up a buffet line at the Hilton?).

Better re-think that one....

Jack Tarlin
02-09-2010, 18:32
Well I do indeed wish you guys all the best, but I hope you have realistic expectations.

For example, lose the overly romantic expectations; in that first link one of your party talking about "living entirely off the land like Native Americans did."

Well, OK. :rolleyes:

But the reality is this is not what you're gonna be doing for the next few months. You won't have time to hunt, fish, trap, or farm, and in order to survive, you're gonna have to hitch on a highway into a town every three to five days to find a market so you don't starve. You're gonna be entirtely dependent on town/city folk whi have and use automobiles, even if you don't.

So have a great time. But this "Dances With Wolves", being one with nature thing, I'm not so sure about. There are people every year who swear they'll be "living off the land" etc. during their thru hikes.

Usually, the acorn/toadstool/chipmunk diet gets real tired after the third day but maybe you'll find another way.

Tinker
02-09-2010, 18:41
Keep your expectations low and your caloric intake high. Barring boredom, injury, and influences from home you might make it.
If you don't, it's not the end of the world. You can section hike the trail and still be able to say you hiked it, if that's your goal.
If, on the other hand, you expect the trail to turn you into a "better you", you'll be disappointed. Without others to correct and direct you (as well as comfort and encourage you - I'm not that cruel :p), you won't change unless it's for the worse.
Reality of what "trail life" is hasn't ever really hit me - I haven't been out on a trail trip for more than two weeks - just when the minor injuries can become problematic.

bigcranky
02-09-2010, 19:14
Usually, the acorn/toadstool/chipmunk diet gets real tired after the third day but maybe you'll find another way.

But those little chipmunks are soooooo tasty roasted over an open fire. Much better than shelter mice, anyway.

:)

Frosty
02-09-2010, 19:27
Find out by following our adventure as we attempt a 2010 thru-hike:

http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/

Looks good to me.

It will be a grand adventure, that's for sure.

As others have said, you probably can't live off the land and still hike daily, but you can live at one with the land. A lot of hikes focus on the next town, on beer and pizza, and lose track of why they are out there. It's good you are approaching it differently.

People here are funny. They will tell you how hard it is to do what you want to do, and why what you want probably won't work, but if they met you on the trail, and you were cold and wet and miserable and talking about quitting, they would be the first to extend a hand and tell you it gets better and to hang in there.

Appalachian Tater
02-09-2010, 19:30
Just out of curiosity, what makes you say Emily's the first one out?

She likes to party and she will get distracted.

As far as the odds of finishing, assume each hiker has a one in five or 20% chance of finishing. The chance all three finish is 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.008, less than 1%.

Of course you guys are young but there are other complications such as two being siblings and all of you knowing each other to start with. It's hard enough hiking the entire trail without having to adjust what you're doing for other people. If someone has to lay out for two weeks, what do the others do? Make sure that you have independent gear kits, that you are sharing a tent or cooking pot.

Make a rule that no matter what kind of a mood you're in or despite any disagreements, nobody goes to sleep at night angry, that things get resolved before you go to sleep. That would significantly increase your chances.

The camera guy is not thru-hiking but that puts a whole 'nother twist on it.

Not trying to discourage you and it is just walking up and down mountains all day. But sometimes that just isn't easy.

Good luck!

Appalachian Tater
02-09-2010, 19:32
Jack has observed a lot of groups start out together and could probably give good advice about it.

Appalachian Tater
02-09-2010, 19:36
Tater's got it.

And Reno would have a better chance of finishing, but she'd sure in hell finish alone.

http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bill-gates.jpg

Appalachian Tater
02-09-2010, 19:37
Sorry for all the posts but I left out a "not":

Make sure that you have independent gear kits, that you are NOT sharing a tent or cooking pot.

drifters quest
02-09-2010, 22:48
Best of luck to the three of you. I'll be starting two days behind you so i'm sure i'll see you on the trail!

WILLIAM HAYES
02-09-2010, 23:23
too much hype and overkill with the bios sounds like a bunch of job resumes from a bunch of egotistical people no one cares about a bunch of ivy league -lawyer crap on the trail the lawyer may make it the whole way even a starving bear wont eat a lawyer

Yahtzee
02-10-2010, 00:54
She likes to party and she will get distracted.

We have a winner! I put my money on her to finish. If you aren't partying and enjoying every distraction from the monotony of hiking 15 to 18 miles a day you are gonna burn out quick.

ShelterLeopard
02-10-2010, 11:27
Sorry for all the posts but I left out a "not":

Make sure that you have independent gear kits, that you are NOT sharing a tent or cooking pot.

Amen! This is what I was thinking- if you all have your own gear, at least you can continue on if one decides to drop out, or you realize that maybe you should split up (as hiking partners, not as friends). You can always wait until a town and buy new solo gear, but it's costly, and you'll have to go with what they stock.

JustaTouron
02-10-2010, 11:52
Amen! This is what I was thinking- if you all have your own gear, at least you can continue on if one decides to drop out, or you realize that maybe you should split up (as hiking partners, not as friends). You can always wait until a town and buy new solo gear, but it's costly, and you'll have to go with what they stock.

I am not so sure I follow this logic.

First off, it sounds like they are committed to sticking together. Not the most common way to hike, but not unheard of either, particular when talking about family or long term friends.

If they start off with one stove, one cookset, one set of maps, one compass, one water filter, etc and one person DROPS OUT. The two remaining will need to redistribute the group gear, they don't need to get new gear. Up until that point they will be traveling lighter than otherwise.

If they decide to split up they would need to aquire new gear. But keep in mind this could very well occur at the same point other hikers are quitting the trail and heading home, giving them the oppertunity to pick up slightly used gear for free or very cheap. And if they do stick together they save the money of having never need to buy the stuff. If the do need to buy stuff they will pay a primium, but it won't be that huge. If the town the split up at has a very limited selection, by taking two zero days or and paying a bit extra in shipping or by agree to stick together for one more town they can buy gear from REI or campmor and have it mailed to themselves.

The upside of sharing the gear is they can each be 5 lbs or more lighter than they would be otherwise, greatly increasing their chances of completing the trail as a heavy pack is harder to carry than a ligher one.

Symbol
02-10-2010, 11:59
Each of you having all your own gear sounds like great advice... as well as never going to bed mad.

Also, having worked out your game plan of what you are going in the case of one person needing to drop out or sit out for an extended time dur to injury may be a good thing to do too.

(FWIW, I think the person needing to quit or sit out for an injury needs to encourage the others go on with their best wishes. If you sit out a week or two and rest an injury you can always rejoin them up the trail and then go back after the hike is done and do the section you missed.)

Good luck to you all.

berkshirebirder
02-10-2010, 12:19
Maybe I missed something. The Tarptent Squall 2 sleeps two. If the scheduled shelter is full, what is your plan?

Even "documentaries" are scripted. How will you get around the fact that filming something changes its nature?

BrianLe
02-10-2010, 14:31
"The upside of sharing the gear is they can each be 5 lbs or more lighter than they would be otherwise, greatly increasing their chances of completing the trail as a heavy pack is harder to carry than a ligher one."

I'm not always a fan of every poll on this site, but if a poll was done with just successful thru-hikers contributing on this topic, I'd expect a strong majority to vote for "be independent with your gear". Stuff happens.

"If they decide to split up they would need to aquire new gear. But keep in mind this could very well occur at the same point other hikers are quitting the trail and heading home, giving them the oppertunity to pick up slightly used gear for free or very cheap."

It strikes me as quite unlikely that a person from a started-together-and-pooled-gear group would leave the group at the very same point AND time that another hiker was quitting the trail AND that that other hiker would be okay with selling or otherwise parting with a particular desired gear item AND that whatever that person was using for cook pot or tent or whatever would be something that a remaining group member would prefer. I did see a fellow on the PCT carrying a two person tent and so forth because his wife dropped out about 400 - 500 miles into the trip. I don't recall running into groups that formed before starting the trail --- there might well have been some, but the only groups I recall were ones that formed somewhere along the way.

IMO a much better approach is to pick low weight solutions to the particular items that folks like to share --- shelter (tent, tarp), water treatment, cookpot & associated stove, perhaps first aid kit. Note that even worse in a way than a group whose member leaves the trail is one where all members stay on the trail but elect to split up (different pace, temperament, whatever). Now all of those members need their own gear.

ARambler
02-10-2010, 15:11
As far as the odds of finishing, assume each hiker has a one in five or 20% chance of finishing. The chance all three finish is 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.008, less than 1%.
Good luck!
So there are a few of Warren Doyle's trips that are mathematically impossible?

What does internet logic have to do with the viability of a hiking plan??

It is probably true that Ernie Banks has a better chance of pulling out of his recent slump than they all have of finishing, but to a true Cubs fan, both are reasonably likely.
Rambler

Smoky in TN
02-10-2010, 15:35
Documentaries, schedules, bios, blogs? Is this a thru hike or a traveling circus? Most people hike the trail to get away from these kind of things. As long as we are throwing opinions out there, I think this little party will dissolve after a few days on the trail. On the other hand, I hope it works out for you. Enjoy the journey.

JustaTouron
02-10-2010, 15:46
Documentaries, schedules, bios, blogs? Is this a thru hike or a traveling circus? Most people hike the trail to get away from these kind of things. As long as we are throwing opinions out there, I think this little party will dissolve after a few days on the trail. On the other hand, I hope it works out for you. Enjoy the journey.

Wow! You seem to have a lot of hatred for traveling circuses. Did some clown not make the balloon animal you wanted when you were a kid?

Smoky in TN
02-10-2010, 15:55
I hate clowns.

Yahtzee
02-10-2010, 16:37
I hate clowns.

Especially no-talent ones of the ass variety.

Frosty
02-10-2010, 19:37
As far as the odds of finishing, assume each hiker has a one in five or 20% chance of finishing. The chance all three finish is 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.2 = 0.008, less than 1%. Not to be a pain, but this is not right. It would be (assuming one in five is correct) for three hikers selected totally randomly, but not for three hikers traveling together, or three people who know each other, or three hikers selected any way that isn't totally random.

When any type of selection process is used, there are other factors at play besides the basic one in five that makes the analysis invalid.

Frosty
02-10-2010, 19:46
Documentaries, schedules, bios, blogs? Is this a thru hike or a traveling circus? Most people hike the trail to get away from these kind of things. Diversity? My God! Who are these people with their blogs? How dare they enjoy something that you don't. Misfits, obvsiously. Take away their hiking licenses before this individualism catches on and we have chaos on the trail, with everyone doing what they want. :rolleyes:

Covetree
02-10-2010, 20:27
Diversity? My God! Who are these people with their blogs? How dare they enjoy something that you don't. Misfits, obvsiously. Take away their hiking licenses before this individualism catches on and we have chaos on the trail, with everyone doing what they want. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the defense!

Hyway
02-11-2010, 00:16
I am basically new here, but the first thing you learn is to ignore the negative comments. they fall like snow here

iamscottym
02-11-2010, 04:45
university of illinois champaign law school? has anyone else seen the scandals involving uiuc-law admissions? Their reputation is on par with the last several governors of the great state of Illinois(read: 2 of them are incarcerated, the third has charges pendind). I'm sure glad I didn't go there! Wake Forest 2011, w00t!

rickb
02-11-2010, 21:23
Good luck to all, especially the Imps!

Check this out...

http://www.dollycopp.com/dollycopp21.php

CowHead
02-18-2010, 12:25
That's ok with me. Along as it's a job that I enjoy.

The best advice someone gave me is this Start slow then go slower give you feet, mind and soul the time to adjust. Then anything and everything will work out. The number one reason for failure is attitude, second is injury, have the right first one will also prevent the second one. When you get to maryland send a note trail magic will happen. :welcome

Appalachian Tater
02-18-2010, 18:55
Not to be a pain, but this is not right. It would be (assuming one in five is correct) for three hikers selected totally randomly, but not for three hikers traveling together, or three people who know each other, or three hikers selected any way that isn't totally random.

When any type of selection process is used, there are other factors at play besides the basic one in five that makes the analysis invalid.

Yes, there is some effect from being in a group but there are both positive and negative benefits to that that are hard to assess and which to some degree will balance each other out, but essentially it is three independent events. Certainly the chance that all three finish is much smaller than the chance that just one hiker finishes and that is the point I was making.

Nuthatch
02-20-2010, 16:00
Wait, so one of 'em gurgles about Survivor being her "all-time favorite show", yet blogs that she "dislikes the media influence on society" :confused:

Nuthatch
02-20-2010, 16:35
This sounds vaguely familiar.

Searching...ah yes. Here it is...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21742

Lagging Behind
02-23-2010, 03:34
While I have my doubts as to whether or not they might all complete their hike and project, I note, Nuthatch, that you've confused two of the hikers in you comment about "one favoring Survivor yet disliking media". That is actually two separate hikers. I think if they're expecting Survivor though, they have a rude awakening ahead of them, that is a show geared directory towards a television market and although they 'rough it' on the island, it is all contrived drama.

Covetree
02-23-2010, 04:03
This sounds vaguely familiar.

Searching...ah yes. Here it is...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21742

I’m not soliciting any sort of financial support on this forum. If anything I’m looking for moral support or advice, just as anyone on here is. And in general, I would say that the funding of a traveling expedition is each individual’s responsibility and private matter, not an issue open for public dispute.

In terms of being able to make the documentary (this woman evidently did not), our chances of completing it are as good as anyone else’s chances of hiking all the way through from Georgia to Maine. We are going to try, just as anyone who has ever completed the trail has done.

tintin
02-23-2010, 05:50
I was encouraged to make a documentary and gave it some serious thought. However, I thought hiking be difficult enough, let alone with someone else AND participating in a documentary would be too much of an effort. I participated in a one week long documentary for the BBC and I couldn't imagine being involved in anything longer. But that's not say you guys can't do it of course.

I just hope that your priority lies with the Trail and not the film. I'd encourage you to stand firm with the producer and that you take care of your needs before the wants of the documentary.

Best of luck to you all. The thread title comes across as a little pretentious though (IMHO) and I hope that it doesn't form the basis of your treatment/synopsis.

Appalachian Tater
02-23-2010, 16:27
I’m not soliciting any sort of financial support on this forum. If anything I’m looking for moral support or advice, just as anyone on here is. And in general, I would say that the funding of a traveling expedition is each individual’s responsibility and private matter, not an issue open for public dispute.

In terms of being able to make the documentary (this woman evidently did not), our chances of completing it are as good as anyone else’s chances of hiking all the way through from Georgia to Maine. We are going to try, just as anyone who has ever completed the trail has done.

Everything you say here is correct and no one suspected you of bad motives or improper behavior. Also I want to wish you good luck and hope that you are successful. I will be following your blog so please keep it updated!

Now unsolicited, free advice worth exactly what you paid for it:

Don't try to push yourselves too much at first to keep to your itinerary, which is very unrealistic.

More importantly, keep an open mind with your expectations about what hiking the trail for five months will be like because it most definitely will not be what you expect it to be. That dissonance between expectation and reality ends many a thru-hike. If you just take the reality of your hike as it is step by step, tree to tree, mountain top to mountain top, and resupply to resupply and not try to measure it or compare it to your expectations, then you will be much more likely to both enjoy it and finish it.

To support that, I just read about a study that showed the most enjoyable aspects of most vacations are planning and looking forward to it, that the actual enjoyment during the vacation and feeling of contentment afterwards did not, in most instances, live up to the anticipation. Cultivate a Buddhist here & now outlook. And have fun!

Jester2000
02-23-2010, 16:47
Is this a thru hike or a traveling circus?

The answer is yes. Hopefully.

Bleemus
02-28-2010, 22:31
If you make it as far as Vermont I can pick you up near Manchester and offer you a shower and dry bed if not in August as I am doing a thru hike of the Long Trail around then. Good luck. Hope you make it this far!

Bleemus
802-342-3313

Nuthatch
03-19-2010, 12:21
Latest Blog entry from http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/2010/03/move-over-frat-boys-sorority-sisters.html#comments:

We trudged on from Neels Gap (in the rain) and when we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. NoWe trudged on from Neels Gap (in the rain) and when we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. No way! There was a young man who had arrived at the same time as us and was assembling his 2- person tent. I invited myself to sleep in his tent with him for the night, and he obliged. Based on his reaction, I think it's rare for a woman in these parts to be so bold. I was thankful to have a dry and semi-warm place to rest my head for the night. Temperatures that night and the following two nights went below freezing- it was so cold!

The longer I am out here, the more apparent it becomes that the thru-hiking community is predominantly composed of men, many of whom neglect to show me respect and aknowledge that I exist. Some have implied that I shouldn't be out here, and that long distance hiking is a man's leisure activity. After three nights of tolerating these fraternity house attitudes, and enduring the skeptical glances, I decided to show the men why I am out here. On Wednesday morning everyone packed up and moved out to hike the ten miles to Dick's Creek Gap (where we had our box of food hidden). I waited until all the men had started hiking, and then I took off like lightning down the trail. Within five miles, I passed every single one of those men, and I left them eating my trail of dust. I was hoping to show them that I am just as physically and mentally capable as they are. I finished the ten miles in record time, so I sat around waiting and watching as all the men I had passed hours ago arrived. When the man who had been sending dirty looks in my direction arrived, he finally asked me "what's your name?" It worked! I put them all in their place and gained their respect as a fellow thru-hiker.

Bolding mine.

Umm...I really hope she's joking here...she brings no shelter of her own, bullies her way into a total stranger's tent, complains that the men don't respect her, then "put them all in their place" then next day? :eek: :rolleyes:

hellomolly
03-19-2010, 12:42
RE. the last post... can't really do much else but shake my head and sigh and wonder why some people hike. Yeah, she really put those guys in their place... what with her being unprepared and hiking a whole ten miles in a day. I am not trying to belittle the various mileage hikers do, whether big or small, but please... this girl needs to grow up.

Appalachian Tater
03-19-2010, 12:47
Well, I was right, seems like she likes to party!

Jester2000
03-19-2010, 13:09
It's entirely possible that one of the things she might eventually gain from being on the trail is caring a little less about what other people think of her.

That would be something that might actually gain the respect of those around her.

'Cause I can say this from first hand experience: If being the last to leave a shelter and passing everyone who left before me was the sort of thing to garner respect, I'd be the most respected person on the trail. And we all know that's not true.

Nuthatch
03-19-2010, 21:42
'Cause I can say this from first hand experience: If being the last to leave a shelter and passing everyone who left before me was the sort of thing to garner respect, I'd be the most respected person on the trail. And we all know that's not true.She didn't train at all for the trail. She does not possess even the most basic shelter for herself. In her mind, all she has to do to get shelter for herself (not her 2 companions, just herself, mind you) is flirt and /or bully her way into any man's tent she encounters.

This will end well I'm sure.:rolleyes:

Jester2000
03-19-2010, 22:48
She didn't train at all for the trail. . .

Nothing wrong with that. I never do any training. It's overrated.

gunner76
03-20-2010, 00:54
Does she ,Emily Ginger, invite herself into some strange guys room at the hotel when the hotel she stops at is full ? She sounds like a spoiled brat who needs to grow up.

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2010, 12:05
Um, guys, I've actually met these folks and they're nice people.

And at least they're out here actually hiking, unlike those of you sitting around your folks' house in your pajamas slagging people you've never met and never will.

Honestly, the level of negativity here, especially from folks who've never thru-hiked and never will is staggering.

I've met several hundred hikers in the last few weeks here in Georgia.

Some of them rave about this website and some of them can't stand it, or they visited once or twice and then went elsewhere.

Can't blame them for feeling that way either.

white_russian
03-20-2010, 12:09

And at least they're out here actually hiking, unlike those of you sitting around your folks' house in your pajamas slagging people you've never met and never will.

Honestly, the level of negativity here, especially from folks who've never thru-hiked and never will is staggering.

I've met several hundred hikers in the last few weeks here in Georgia.

Some of them rave about this website and some of them can't stand it, or they visited once or twice and then went elsewhere.

Can't blame them for feeling that way either.

Bill Bryson is probably a pretty nice guy in person as well.

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2010, 12:11
As a matter of fact, he is exactly that.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2010, 12:11
Bill Bryson is probably a pretty nice guy in person as well.

yeah and he said funny things about southern folk. i doubt he was a blatant sexist like the gal in question

Egads
03-20-2010, 12:32

last time I checked, the website title bar said "Whiteblaze.net - A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts"

I didn't know one had to be a thru hiker to qualify to post here :-?

These folks have a right to enjoy the trail as much as any of us. We have the right to publicly express our opinions about their hike since they are publicly blogging about their hike.

Jack Tarlin
03-20-2010, 12:36
Egads:

Of course you have the right to express yourself and share your opinions.

But insulting and denigrating comments are best made in person, i.e. face to face, or if made on-line, they should be signed.

To do otherwise is gutless as well as rude.

But you're welcome to disagree.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2010, 13:01
But insulting and denigrating comments are best made in person, i.e. face to face, or if made on-line, they should be signed.

To do otherwise is gutless as well as rude.

emily is making denigrating and insulting comments online. why does she get a pass? she's gutless and rude

Behooved
03-20-2010, 13:29
If they didn't want their blog to be discussed on a discussion forum, why did they go to a discussion forum and say "Find out by following our adventure as we attempt a 2010 thru-hike: http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/ Check out the blog and then the link labeled "official site"

:confused:

So, what, like only "You go grrl" comments are allowed?

ChinMusic
03-20-2010, 13:48
From what I've read, I'd move along.

Behooved
03-20-2010, 14:42
What happens?

Looks like they continue to act like spoiled, self-entitled, self-absorbed twenty-somethings.

Plodderman
03-20-2010, 22:47
Blisters from new boots

ChinMusic
03-20-2010, 22:50
Blisters from new Gucci boots

Fixed.....

Rain Man
03-21-2010, 09:41
Do we have this year's "Minnesota Smith" thread?

Rain:sunMan

Jack Tarlin
03-21-2010, 11:47
No we don't because this one will be locked down and gone within days.

And good riddance, too.

K2
03-21-2010, 13:26
Maybe her writing is intended to spark interest in a "maybe" video previously mentioned?

Don't misunderstand; I'm not saying she's being untruthful, but perhaps she's exaggerating her experience a bit.

Behooved
03-21-2010, 13:48
Maybe her writing is intended to spark interest in a "maybe" video previously mentioned?

Don't misunderstand; I'm not saying she's being untruthful, but perhaps she's exaggerating her experience a bit.
Possible, I guess. One of the girls is totally ga-ga over that silly "Survivor" show, which is all contrived drama. I suppose this whole incident with Emily barging her way into a stranger's tent could have been exploited on the blog for its drama factor.

Interesting that there is absolutely no mention at all of the documentary on their recent blogs. And I also saw on TJ another hiker mentioning that Brandon has already quit the hike citing an achilles injury. Wonder if that means the movie has been scrapped?

quasarr
03-21-2010, 18:00

I'm glad that they're great people in person, but that doesn't make them immune from criticism.

These hikers started a blog and posted it for all to read and comment on. All I know is what I've seen in the blog. And right now I don't have a favorable opinion. (mostly formed from the post where Emily didn't have a tent and blamed the negative reactions on sexism) Most hikers wouldn't take her side after reading that story.

You could be the nicest person in three counties but if you post a blog that makes you look like a jerk, peope are gonna think you're a jerk. By opening the blog for discussion she opened herself to negative opnions.
(Especially when you consider the amount of disdain for whipper-snappery here on WB ;) )

Sure there's a line when it comes to outright harassment but the comments I've seen so far have been appropriate, if occasionally rude.

Note this post isn't just a reply to you but to everyone who's been talking about "negativity"

beakerman
03-22-2010, 01:48
well i don't know about this gal jumping in a tent with a stranger but if that guy was me there would be a letter sent out...dear penthouse....

even if nothing happened. Sorry but "inviting" yourself into a stranger's bed is at the most innocent rude and on the other end of the spectrum ****ty. Maybe I'm just too old to "Get it" but hey that's my thoughts on the tent incident...

And attitudes of superiority based on education show a high level of immaturity. I am highly educated and don't consider myself superior to anyone...with or without an education. I typically have found that very highly educated folks mellow with age...as life kicks them in the teeth a few times to show them who's really in charge they loose that arrogance.

Folks not "respecting" her...really well hows about her respecting others first...let's start with being prepared. I understand her brother was a Boy Scout. I'd be embarrassed if I was his former Scout Master...no tent on a 6 month trek? yeah that's being prepared---not! I'm on the trail and carrying my own weight--shelter, food water clothes and what not...you choose not to yet you seemingly expect to find these things magically on the trail..usually at the expense of others who are willing to share. That is disrespectful they are taking for granted the kindness of the folks on the trail.

You want respect on the trail show some skills...lets start with the basics like carrying what you need. then we can talk about how many miles you can clock in a day and how long it takes you. I was always taught it's the journey not the destination that was important...I guess that's an old fashion idea too.

Gray Blazer
03-22-2010, 07:54
Wonder if that means the movie has been scrapped?

Movie? I want Russel Crowe to play me.

Blue Jay
03-22-2010, 08:17
last time I checked, the website title bar said "Whiteblaze.net - A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts"

No but it would be nice if some of you would refrain from posting about things you know NOTHING about. I am aware that IS most likely to much to ask.

max patch
03-22-2010, 08:26
Too bad she didn't jump into Minnesota Smiths tent.

Bet she would have jumped out.

skinny minnie
03-22-2010, 08:40
No but it would be nice if some of you would refrain from posting about things you know NOTHING about. I am aware that IS most likely to much to ask.

Hilarious. :rolleyes:

My two highly unnecessary cents: everyone is entitled to an opinion... but there is a lot of heavy-handed JUDGMENT going on both here and in another extremely ridiculous thread.

It is so, so pointless to point fingers at people and ridicule their choices.

So they are marketing themselves and there's a lot of hype on their blog? Who cares?

I really don't think any of their blog has been mean-spirited. I mean, you can discuss the fact that people have thick accents without it being condescending. The majority of that post was about how nice and helpful people were being!

And color me crazy... but I don't see anything wrong with politely asking if a tent could be shared, even if it's with a total stranger. Yes, not carrying a shelter is dumb, but it has been done before. Yes, you may get a rep on the trail... but that's because WB and the Appalachian Trail has a tendency to resemble high school, apparently. Gossip and drama and finger pointing and holier than thou attitudes. Sheesh.

If you look at their gear list you'll see they have a tarp tent squall 2 listed. So who knows? Maybe instead of assuming they don't have a shelter we should stop over-analyzing a simple blog in order to criticize their every single move. Maybe it was a typo and the other two used the tent but she didn't feel like cramming in her wet gear with two other people? WHO KNOWS. I'm not gonna sweat it.

Moral of the story? Lighten up people! Judge not, lest ye be judged! Get off the high horses! Throwing stones and glass houses and blah blah blah.

I don't agree with some of the blog content... but I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it. The end.

Tuney
03-22-2010, 09:17
I recall reading a thread somewhere a couple of years ago that read something like this:
"There's nothing wrong with going ultra light but, be prepared to make do with what you've brought. Don't expect to always be bailed out by someone who has carried what they have all the way to where you are."

Rain Man
03-22-2010, 11:16
... but I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it. The end.

Too late!!!

Jaybird
03-22-2010, 11:38
Find out by following our adventure as we attempt a 2010 thru-hike:http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/

WOW!...another BLOGGER....doing a Pseudo Documentary abt the A.T....

How original!:D

skinny minnie
03-22-2010, 11:38
Too late!!!

Read the whole sentence. I said I'm not going to get my panties in a twist... over the content of their blog that I don't agree with.

:D

Meaning, I don't like everything they do or say but I'm not going to freak out and lay all these judgments on them. I think this is hands-down the worst aspect of WB. The tendency to leap to conclusions and judge harshly.

Egads
03-22-2010, 12:15

BJ, not sure why you are quoting me. Care to provide any posts to support your opinion? I haven't insulted anyone with my posts, and you know nothing about my posts because you (like JT) obviously haven't read them either.

In this thread, I've posted

that WB picks on a thru hiker every season - true

that she knows how to get in someone else's tent and that is how reputations are made whether anything sexual occurred or not- true

that I dont expect them to complete their thru hike - true, one has already dropped out

DRRouner
03-22-2010, 12:43
You do understand you are being manipulated to garner interest to their documentary and trying to land a job on some reality show. And judging by the pages that have been written about them on White Blaze they are doing a excellent job. By lavishing so much attention on them you have almost guarantee them a hit if they actually finish the trail.
Remember the adage: There is no such thing as bad publicity. It has made Rush Limbaugh and his ilk hundreds of millions of dollars.

Gray Blazer
03-22-2010, 12:45
Remember the adage: There is no such thing as bad publicity. It has made Rush Limbaugh and his ilk hundreds of millions of dollars.

That's good, right?

Yahtzee
03-22-2010, 13:05
You do understand you are being manipulated to garner interest to their documentary and trying to land a job on some reality show. And judging by the pages that have been written about them on White Blaze they are doing a excellent job. By lavishing so much attention on them you have almost guarantee them a hit if they actually finish the trail.

This, this and this.

Odds are she pulled the tent stunt to get this particular reaction. Get the "buzz" going, as it were. This is a reality show mentality brought to the AT. Sad to say, ignoring them is the only way to end their silly ploys. Sad, because us folks at WB, myself included, aren't the best at ignoring things.

DRRouner
03-22-2010, 13:17
That's good, right?
Thank you for proving my point. :sun

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2010, 13:42
Oh, Egads, lighten up.

I did indeed read your post.

And no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to post here, tho there sure are a lot of NON thru-hikers telling folks all about how it should be done, how it shouldn't be done, speculating on people's chances of completing their hike, etc.

So, no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to either post here or to make comments such as the ones I just mentioned.

But being a thru-hiker would sure in hell give some frequent posters here some more credibility, which is something a lot of these posters simply lack.

kanga
03-22-2010, 13:47
Oh, Egads, lighten up.

I did indeed read your post.

And no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to post here, tho there sure are a lot of NON thru-hikers telling folks all about how it should be done, how it shouldn't be done, speculating on people's chances of completing their hike, etc.

So, no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to either post here or to make comments such as the ones I just mentioned.

But being a thru-hiker would sure in hell give some frequent posters here some more credibility, which is something a lot of these posters simply lack.

yeah, actual hiking could actually give certain people credibility. it really does seem like some people just seem to like to sit in a dark corner playing on the computer all day, telling people how wrong their way is, without actually HIKING. it blows my mind.

BAG "o" TRICKS
03-22-2010, 13:47
As a matter of fact, he is exactly that.

Of course he is Jack, that's why you wear that Bryson is a Candya_ _ shirt :eek: ;)

Headin' South very soon maybe see you and the others on this thread, where are you? PM me
Will attempt to bring Wolf with me but I doubt it. He'll probably be busy watching Tiger make his comeback at the Masters;) Wolf see you and others at Dot's this Friday night

Father Dragon
03-22-2010, 15:05
Yeah the whole thing with the tent and the quasi Marxist-feminist overtones does seem a little odd to say the least, not worth filling my head with negative thoughts about it however ... I wish them good hiking.

Behooved
03-22-2010, 15:08
You do understand you are being manipulated to garner interest to their documentary and trying to land a job on some reality show. And judging by the pages that have been written about them on White Blaze they are doing a excellent job. By lavishing so much attention on them you have almost guarantee them a hit if they actually finish the trail.I think most people commenting here couldn't care less if their documentary is "hit" or not.

These folks came here to WB and invited commentary about their hike. They even phrased their post as a question..."What happens when...?" If they didn't want a discussion of "what happens" then they maybe should not have invited people to answer that question on a public forum. :cool:

4shot
03-25-2010, 18:32
yeah, actual hiking could actually give certain people credibility. it really does seem like some people just seem to like to sit in a dark corner playing on the computer all day, telling people how wrong their way is, without actually HIKING. it blows my mind.

do you realize that actual hiking can be difficult???! Please think before you post stuff like this.:D

kanga
03-25-2010, 19:16
do you realize that actual hiking can be difficult???! Please think before you post stuff like this.:D
i know. i'm sorry. i just want to point out real quick, though, that's why, logically, the number of douches in any give square mile goes down astronomically proportionally to the number of square miles you hike away from car.

thelowend
03-25-2010, 19:32

dont mind lonewolf. he enjoys being skeptical towards other folks' goals to make himself feel better

WILLIAM HAYES
04-04-2010, 13:06
they dont have a clue they will be lucky to make it past neels gap-in the south we have an expression -BLESS THEIR HEARTS maybe they will get an academy award for their wow look at me website

drifters quest
04-11-2010, 15:58
I've been hiking with these guys for a while now. Wouldn't pass judgement, all three of them are strong hikers and are doing very well.

CowHead
04-11-2010, 16:20
HYOH moo out of the way.

Blue Jay
04-12-2010, 09:34
i know. i'm sorry. i just want to point out real quick, though, that's why, logically, the number of douches in any give square mile goes down astronomically proportionally to the number of square miles you hike away from car.

Ooooh I like that, a math formula. All of you who are actually hiking this year, please keep track. We'll report back here and see if Kanga's theory is correct. I think it may be.

Grampie
04-12-2010, 09:58
This will be fun to watch as the miles drag on. A thru hike always sounds like a great idea when you're well rested sitting in a warm dry living room with all the comforts and a full belly. Good luck and enjoy your hike!

A thru-hike is like sex. You think you can do a lot, until you get started.;)

Cali
04-12-2010, 19:00
A thru-hike is like sex. You think you can do a lot, until you get started.;)

Like Sex .... Hmmm .... You mean even when it's bad, it's still good?

GGS2
04-12-2010, 19:44
Just wondering how you hike a square mile.

kanga
04-12-2010, 19:51
Just wondering how you hike a square mile.
walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile.

Skidsteer
04-12-2010, 20:10
And then say, "Dude, where's my car?"

GGS2
04-12-2010, 22:48
walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile.Ah! A left handed square mile! Thanks kanga.

kanga
04-12-2010, 23:16
anytime. you want directions for a right turn square mile?

GGS2
04-13-2010, 00:45
No thanks, kanga. I'm a lefty.

kanga
04-13-2010, 07:39
you mean i did it right the first time? that almost never happens!

sherrill
04-13-2010, 08:07
walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile. turn 90* to the left. walk for one mile.

Exercise routine for Nascar drivers.

ChinMusic
04-13-2010, 09:36
Exercise routine for Nascar drivers.
well played

sherrill
04-13-2010, 15:19
http://www.theonion.com/video/nascar-coach-reveals-winning-strategy-drive-fast,14154/

Covetree
05-03-2010, 12:27
She didn't train at all for the trail. She does not possess even the most basic shelter for herself. In her mind, all she has to do to get shelter for herself (not her 2 companions, just herself, mind you) is flirt and /or bully her way into any man's tent she encounters.

This will end well I'm sure.:rolleyes:

You people are awfully quick to judge and assume facts about other people you've never met. In fact I was the one to find a shelter for my two traveling companions before I "bit the bullet" by taking the least appealing sleeping option- alone in a tent with a stranger. By no means was flirting or bullying used to acquire a place in a tent. I'm a friendly person, and so was he so all I had to do was explain my situation. I do have a tent for myself, I didn't have it with me then because we had semi- slack packed for a couple of days.

IF you knew me, you would know that I would never expect anyone to provide something like a tent for me. If you knew me, you would know that when I set out to travel across the U.S. from south to north that I have all the equipment that I will need along the way, not to mention the mental and physical preparedness.

HiKen2011
05-03-2010, 13:27
U go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dtour :banana

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 14:22
I do have a tent for myself, I didn't have it with me then because we had semi- slack packed for a couple of days.

IF you knew me, you would know that I would never expect anyone to provide something like a tent for me. If you knew me, you would know that when I set out to travel across the U.S. from south to north that I have all the equipment that I will need along the way, not to mention the mental and physical preparedness.

Well, apparently you did not have a tent when you needed one. Your mental image of yourself does not quite jive with reality.

D'Artagnan
05-03-2010, 14:23
you mean i did it right the first time? that almost never happens!

No, you did it left the first time. ;)

TJ aka Teej
05-03-2010, 14:46
"What happened if you met a lawyer, an ivy grad, and a city chick on the AT?"

You've just met my niece.

kanga
05-03-2010, 14:52
You people are awfully quick to judge and assume facts about other people you've never met. In fact I was the one to find a shelter for my two traveling companions before I "bit the bullet" by taking the least appealing sleeping option- alone in a tent with a stranger. By no means was flirting or bullying used to acquire a place in a tent. I'm a friendly person, and so was he so all I had to do was explain my situation. I do have a tent for myself, I didn't have it with me then because we had semi- slack packed for a couple of days.

are these not your words?

Latest Blog entry from http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/2010/03/move-over-frat-boys-sorority-sisters.html#comments:

We trudged on from Neels Gap (in the rain) and when we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. NoWe trudged on from Neels Gap (in the rain) and when we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. No way! There was a young man who had arrived at the same time as us and was assembling his 2- person tent. I invited myself to sleep in his tent with him for the night, and he obliged. Based on his reaction, I think it's rare for a woman in these parts to be so bold. I was thankful to have a dry and semi-warm place to rest my head for the night. Temperatures that night and the following two nights went below freezing- it was so cold!

The longer I am out here, the more apparent it becomes that the thru-hiking community is predominantly composed of men, many of whom neglect to show me respect and aknowledge that I exist. Some have implied that I shouldn't be out here, and that long distance hiking is a man's leisure activity. After three nights of tolerating these fraternity house attitudes, and enduring the skeptical glances, I decided to show the men why I am out here. On Wednesday morning everyone packed up and moved out to hike the ten miles to Dick's Creek Gap (where we had our box of food hidden). I waited until all the men had started hiking, and then I took off like lightning down the trail. Within five miles, I passed every single one of those men, and I left them eating my trail of dust. I was hoping to show them that I am just as physically and mentally capable as they are. I finished the ten miles in record time, so I sat around waiting and watching as all the men I had passed hours ago arrived. When the man who had been sending dirty looks in my direction arrived, he finally asked me "what's your name?" It worked! I put them all in their place and gained their respect as a fellow thru-hiker.

Bolding mine.

Umm...I really hope she's joking here...she brings no shelter of her own, bullies her way into a total stranger's tent, complains that the men don't respect her, then "put them all in their place" then next day? :eek: :rolleyes:

Nean
05-03-2010, 15:24
You may of learned things at school, but life isn't a thing.:)

Being book smart does not earn a degree in common sense.:eek:

I've hiked with and among many women; spent some time on the trail, and I can assure you the problems here are rare indeed.;)

I have seen it a couple of times before and it's always for the same reason.:-?

Smarty has an attitude.:(

Father Dragon
05-03-2010, 15:34
clear as mud?

.... that usually has a lot to do with it when the mirror is dirty.

humility = the universal solvent

and it is okay to get it in your eyes

K2
05-03-2010, 17:43
I'm afraid, Covetree, that it seemed, from your previous posting, like you had, for all practical purposes, badgered the gentleman to give up space in his tent, and that he had no choice in the matter.

It also seemed you were trying to prove that you were better than the men in beating them to your destination. You don't have to prove anything to anybody, only to yourself. You're the only one in charge of your self-worth, and nothing that strangers say or do should change that.

I'm truly sorry if we misunderstood your words. K2

Toolshed
05-03-2010, 19:06
Hey Ginger,
My kid's school is having a fun run next week. Maybe you could come up and show them 4th Graders up and put them in their place also.

beakerman
05-03-2010, 21:54
mentally and physically prepared...my eye! no tent/shelter for how many people in your group? A largish tarp would have done the trick. Then there would be no need to "invite" yourself into some stranger's tent. Slack packing is one thing but you must realize shelters do fill--especially when its raining...imagine that folks don't want to sleep in the rain unless they have to...therefore you must be prepared for such situations.

you obviously have no concept of human nature.

Egads
05-03-2010, 22:25
What happens when you put a lawyer, an ivy grad, and a city chick on the AT?

You get one of the worst WB threads ever:eek:

tzbrown
05-04-2010, 07:16
What happens when you put a lawyer, an ivy grad, and a city chick on the AT?

You get one of the worst WB threads ever:eek:

+1 on that for sure. To Much Drama.

I'm going hiking, properly equipped of course.

Lagging Behind
05-07-2010, 05:49
These people are crazy, they're hiking and apparently they don't know anything about it? When will they realize that thru-hiking is more then just thinking that they are prepared?

GGS2
05-07-2010, 11:49
Didn't someone say it's just walking?

Nean
05-07-2010, 12:06
Didn't someone say it's just walking?

Just walking: WITH water, food and shelter. Common sense for most taking a multi day walk.:eek:

Even a person who was just doing a day hike would have to be smart enough to bring a coat in the middle of winter...:-?

Jester2000
05-07-2010, 12:12
I think that if you read their blog entries, those of us who remember those days long ago when we weren't hikers will notice a transformation happening that's pretty familiar.

It would be unfair to read selected comments posted here from the beginning of their hike and comment on their character without reading further.

We all came to the trail with the attitudes and beliefs from wherever we were from. These three are no different. Read more than just their first couple of entries and you'll see what I mean, and how their posts change over time.

I would hope that at some point she'll look back at her early entries and realize that it is she who's changed rather than the people around her, but that's a difficult thing to do.

I think it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for everyone to go back to what people here usually do -- root for people to be successful.

Nean
05-07-2010, 12:52
Jester is right- people get to the trail with different attitudes- some good, some bad, some still looking down their noses.:)

Lets forget about what was said and done, was it last month? Time flies! and wish them all well. :banana

The trail teaches all of us if you spend enough time on it. :-?

I must be a slow learner.:o

Ringleader
05-09-2010, 13:33
I wish I had time to read this strand. Very entertaining if I do say so myself.

- Ringleader

Darwin again
05-09-2010, 16:01
Too bad she didn't jump into Minnesota Smiths tent.

Bet she would have jumped out.

WHERE's Minnie when we NEED him? :D

[And nobody say, "Working for BP in the Gulf of Mexico, last I heard!"]

Jack Tarlin
05-09-2010, 16:07
Darwin:

I just spent a hot afternoon clearing brush and moving rocks.

Your post was very damned funny.

RollingStone
05-10-2010, 11:09
I find this whole concept damned funny. Seriously putting the other stuff aside, as hikers, I want to see them succeed. As for the documentary, it's something I personally wouldn't watch as I have no tolerance for lawyers or Ivy grads. City chicks maybe...

On their blog I noticed some of the videos. The whole survivor attitude isn't one usually associated with backpacking trails on the east coast. The food drop in the forest? <shaking head>

I'm sure their nice folks but the obvious goal here IMHO is to make some money from the trail and that always brings about mixed feelings, especially when their perception of trail life on video is more than likely a distorted one for entertainment value as opposed to what average hikers actually do. ie; the food drop in the forest

D'Artagnan
05-10-2010, 12:46
Darwin:

I just spent a hot afternoon clearing brush and moving rocks.

Your post was very damned funny.

Still working on those community service hours, huh? :D (Please note: This is meant as a light-hearted jab. Its not being moderated nor met with a stern rebuttal would be greatly appreciated.) :D

Gray Blazer
05-10-2010, 13:02
Still working on those community service hours, huh? :D (Please note: This is meant as a light-hearted jab. Its not being moderated nor met with a stern rebuttal would be greatly appreciated.) :D

Just cuz you are from Mocksville does not mean you get to mock Jack or anyone else.

mudhead
05-10-2010, 13:04
Just cuz you are from Mocksville does not mean you get to mock Jack or anyone else.

He's really from Goose Creek, but didn't want to admit it.

ShelterLeopard
05-10-2010, 13:22
Hey, I can imagine it being fun to do a food cache in the woods... Totally unnecessary on the AT, but still fun and I think it's a good idea to keep out of towns for a large chunk of time in the beginning (if possible) to acclimatize yourself to trail life. Some people find it difficult to adapt when they go between trail and town so often. (I did, so I avoided towns like the plague for a two weeks span- totally worked)

(I know, I know. ShLep, whad'ya doing on WB during your thru? Hey, there isn't too much to do in Waynesboro and I'm waiting for a friend.)

Jester, I like your post. People change and grow out here.

Gray Blazer
05-10-2010, 14:06
He's really from Goose Creek, but didn't want to admit it.
dam ...

RollingStone
05-10-2010, 14:25
Hey, I can imagine it being fun to do a food cache in the woods... Totally unnecessary on the AT, but still fun

I could agree with it being fun, but a couple of folks have pointed out on their blog that it's illegal. In most national forests, recreation areas, etc, it is indeed illegal unless they are following food storage guidelines for bears, etc, and that usually only pertains to you being in the general vicinity of the food. Obviously in the video they created, putting it in a cardboard box, inside a plastic bag, isn't any kind of proper method for storing food out of the reach of wildlife.

Obviously the food drop was intact and no animals came in contact with it,. but they should point out in the documentary they are creating that it isn't a generally acceptable method.

Lostone
05-10-2010, 15:24
I bet her sponsors are proud of her behavior

http://sites.google.com/site/athike2010/sponsors

Maybe someone should drop them a line.

Lostone
05-10-2010, 15:30
Self promotion, sponsors, directing your own movie.

Jack Tarlin
05-10-2010, 16:50
Lostone:

1. I know of half a dozen folks who've written, directed, produced and
starred in their own Trail films. Several of these folks are well-respected
members of the Whiteblaze community; neither directing nor promoting
one's own film is exactly a new concept, nor is there anything wrong with
it.
2. Every year there are plenty of folks who seek or attain some sort of
corporate assistance or sposorship. Once again, this is not a new
concept.
3. Hundreds of folks keep Internet journals and they "promote" this at every
available opportunity. Again, not a new idea.

So I don't really understand your last post. What is so terribly wrong with making a film while hiking; promoting it; and seeking out folks who want to help sponsor your adventure?

This sort of thing is done all the time.

Nuthatch
05-10-2010, 17:38
I'd just like to know what it is that makes them think they're "eccentric" (as self-described on their blog). They seem like typical self-absorbed, self-important, somewhat spoiled 20-somethings to me.

Jack Tarlin
05-10-2010, 17:54
I guess it all depends on one's perspective.

I've either been hiking or have been in Trail towns since the end of February, and the typical high-maintenance, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, needy, demanding, and spoiled hikers I met weren't in their 20's.

On the contrary, they tended to be in their 50's or older, and any shuttler, hostel-keeper, or retail employee in a Trail town will confirm this.

Most of the kids I've met this year, i.e. the ones in their twenties, have been just fine.

Oh, and this includes the folks who are the subject of this thread.

Nuthatch
05-10-2010, 18:16
Oh, and this includes the folks who are the subject of this thread.Ok, but what exactly makes them "eccentric"?

FritztheCat
05-10-2010, 18:26
I'm thinking anyone that drops a "normal" life and hikes for 5 or 6 months could be considered eccentric. People who don't hike or would never consider such a long hike might think anyone that does is deviating from the norms of society.

Cookerhiker
05-10-2010, 18:40
I'm thinking anyone that drops a "normal" life and hikes for 5 or 6 months could be considered eccentric. People who don't hike or would never consider such a long hike might think anyone that does is deviating from the norms of society.

Agree. Lots of my non-hiking friends, former friends, and ex-colleagues consider me eccentric or at least strange for backpacking......and I didn't even thruhike.

RollingStone
05-10-2010, 19:22
I've either been hiking or have been in Trail towns since the end of February, and the typical high-maintenance, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, needy, demanding, and spoiled hikers I met weren't in their 20's.

On the contrary, they tended to be in their 50's or older, and any shuttler, hostel-keeper, or retail employee in a Trail town will confirm this.

I would agree with that. I've spent more time in the southern 100 and the Whites than anywhere and in all the shuttling we've done for free, "eccentricity" really comes alive with folks my age or older. The kids tend to be kids, sometimes rude, sometimes humble, but young enough to still be in awe of their surroundings and what they are trying to accomplish.

Nean
05-11-2010, 03:30
Lostone:

1. I know of half a dozen folks who've written, directed, produced and
starred in their own Trail films. Several of these folks are well-respected
members of the Whiteblaze community; neither directing nor promoting
one's own film is exactly a new concept, nor is there anything wrong with
it.
2. Every year there are plenty of folks who seek or attain some sort of
corporate assistance or sposorship. Once again, this is not a new
concept.
3. Hundreds of folks keep Internet journals and they "promote" this at every
available opportunity. Again, not a new idea.

So I don't really understand your last post. What is so terribly wrong with making a film while hiking; promoting it; and seeking out folks who want to help sponsor your adventure?

This sort of thing is done all the time.

So is hiking for a good cause-- but that isn't cool? Hiking to promote ones self- no problem?:confused:

Nean
05-11-2010, 03:38
I guess it all depends on one's perspective.

Most of the kids I've met this year, i.e. the ones in their twenties, have been just fine.

Oh, and this includes the folks who are the subject of this thread.

Not my experience as a hostel and shuttle provider over the years.:-? Youngsters are more likely (not totally) to expect,not respect. Seems the whiners whinning here lately about services on the trail have all been young.:confused:

Jack Tarlin
05-11-2010, 08:37
Nean:

I never said hiking for a cause wasn't cool. Please don't put words in my mouth. Most of the folks who hike in order to publicize or raise funds for a worthy cause are great people doing good things. But some of them aren't. I've seen guys use sponsor/donor money to pay for fancy motel rooms, top-shelf booze, and drugs. How do I know this? Because they told me so. So spare us the sanctimony about how wonderful and selfless all these folks are. Some of them are scammers, pure and simple, and you've been around long enough to know that.

Nean
05-11-2010, 11:34
Nean:

I never said hiking for a cause wasn't cool. Please don't put words in my mouth. Most of the folks who hike in order to publicize or raise funds for a worthy cause are great people doing good things. But some of them aren't. I've seen guys use sponsor/donor money to pay for fancy motel rooms, top-shelf booze, and drugs. How do I know this? Because they told me so. So spare us the sanctimony about how wonderful and selfless all these folks are. Some of them are scammers, pure and simple, and you've been around long enough to know that.

I have met one bad apple, true- but that doesn't mean I judge the bushel.:)

Gray Blazer
05-11-2010, 12:22
top-shelf booze

If you guys sponser me, I promise to only buy Ripple.

Nuthatch
05-11-2010, 13:03
I think what is rubbing many people the wrong way about these folks is how they act like they're so "special". They come across as spoiled and self-absorbed - and inviting the world to "Follow the adventure of three eccentric travelers" just comes across as pretentious.

Just hike the trail already. If they make it, then sure, nothing wrong with making and promoting a documentary. But at this stage, all the "Look at Us! We're being TALKED ABOUT!" hype comes across as just attention-whoring.

Jack Tarlin
05-11-2010, 13:33
Maybe that's rubbing YOU the wrong way.

What's rubbing me the wrong way is how quick some folks are to judge people they've never met or spoken with, and that applies to almost everyone on this thread. :-?

And as for inviting other people to "share their adventure", well hundreds of people do this every year when they tell folks about their Internet journals.

I don't see that these kids are doing anything different.

They're actually out there hiking while their critics aren't, and THAT's what's rubbing some folks the wrong way.

Nean
05-11-2010, 13:56
Maybe that's rubbing YOU the wrong way.

What's rubbing me the wrong way is how quick some folks are to judge people they've never met or spoken with, and that applies to almost everyone on this thread. :-?

And as for inviting other people to "share their adventure", well hundreds of people do this every year when they tell folks about their Internet journals.

I don't see that these kids are doing anything different.

They're actually out there hiking while their critics aren't, and THAT's what's rubbing some folks the wrong way.

and a person isn't allowed to form an opinion based on their written words? :confused:Are we reading this third hand from imposters?:eek:

I agree with the rest of what you said and most people do come across different in person.:)

drifters quest
05-11-2010, 17:54
Nuthatch, I don't know how those hikers came off like that to you. All I know is you had a very quick conversation with one of them and you already had an idea of what you thought they were like before you met them, hardly a way to start off right with someone. We seem to be hiking the same pace so I see them a lot and neither myself nor any of the hikers I know that know them see them come across that way. I would encourage you to get to know them a little better in a non-judgemental way.

Darwin again
05-11-2010, 23:15
I think what is rubbing many people the wrong way about these folks is how they act like they're so "special"...

That's really their burden, not mine or yours or anybody else's.
They're kids. They don't know what they don't know, whether their backgrounds are Ivy League or Pig Pen.

Like most people, they might learn, they might not learn, but at least they're breaking out of their "special" lives and worlds and exposing themselves to this amazing new experience -- that's how change happens to people (if they let it.) Lots of people go out with narrow ideas about what their hike should be, can't adapt and change to meet the challenges and realities and end up quitting. But at least they tried.

I think we all carry some class resentment, but nobody talks about class; social station based upon wealth or lack of it, in this country. They tend to hide class issues in generalized "culture wars" code words, such as calling someone a liberal, a yuppie, a redneck, a yankee, or whatever. You seldom hear insults based on someone being rich or poor, though that's the real energizing undercurrent of most people's animosity. I think that's in play here, too, to some extent, with these kids. They're learning -- let 'em figure it out or get spit out.

They do seem pretty damned annoying, especially the chick who complains that they'll never get to Maine at this pace, but maybe they'll work it out amongst themselves and the Trail. Time wounds all heels. Once the Trail assimilates them, they'll be just as alienated from the lives and the people they left behind to go hike as they are from the hiking community they are paying their dues to try to join right now. If they succeed, they'll be different people at the end of it all.

Egads
05-12-2010, 07:04
Time wounds all heels.

Not sure what you said is what you meant

Boots73
05-12-2010, 10:38
We hike with two lawyers, two retired preachers, two active preachers and a vet pathologist and no one died... although we came close during some of our card games

makoboy
05-12-2010, 11:32
I think what bothers me about this whole thing is the "Look at me" attitude. An ivy leaguer, lawyer or "city chick" hiking the AT is nothing new, unique or novel. Im sure many of us out there know one, or more of the above that they hike with on a regular basis. I personally feel that this is something that grows out of the "everyone's special" mentality. Everyone gets a participation trophy for youth soccer, kindergarden & middleschool graduations, and the everyone must know my current facebook status, need for outside validation at every step of life attitude.

If you want to try something you never have done before or challenge yourself in a new way, do it for yourself and no one else, and really, the AT isnt exactly the wilderness with all the towns and road crossings. Your doing the same thing hundreds of other people are doing, at the same time. What do you want, a cookie?

Now back to my rocking chair on the porch so I can yell at the damn kids riding their bikes past the house.

weary
05-12-2010, 11:48
I think what bothers me about this whole thing is the "Look at me" attitude. An ivy leaguer, lawyer or "city chick" hiking the AT is nothing new, unique or novel. Im sure many of us out there know one, or more of the above that they hike with on a regular basis. I personally feel that this is something that grows out of the "everyone's special" mentality. Everyone gets a participation trophy for youth soccer, kindergarden & middleschool graduations, and the everyone must know my current facebook status, need for outside validation at every step of life attitude.

If you want to try something you never have done before or challenge yourself in a new way, do it for yourself and no one else, and really, the AT isnt exactly the wilderness with all the towns and road crossings. Your doing the same thing hundreds of other people are doing, at the same time. What do you want, a cookie?
Everyone starting a thru hike has a sense of being unusual -- probably because they are. Very few of those that attempt a thru hike have any close friends who have attempted such a thing -- setting aside everyday lives to walk for six months or longer.

I know I didn't. I did know a lot of people who thought such a walk was foolish, dangerous, a waste of time .... And even a couple who were envious.

Only one in 300,000 Americans ever attempt such a thing. Only one in a million ever complete the challenge. I think the kids deserve at least two cookies.

Weary

Nean
05-12-2010, 14:30
I hiked w/ an Ivy masters grad last year and a more down to earth gal would be hard to find. She didn't hide or run from the fact but she would never throw it in your face either. The trail is a great equalizer and rat race status and atitudes count for nothing- except to make one look uppity.:-?

I'm sure they are learning this as they go and wish them well.:)

chelko
05-12-2010, 15:37
They are young and have made mistakes but who among us hasn't. They have been out there for over two months and have covered over 700 miles, there is a lot to be said for that. Many of the people on this forum I think are jealous of the fact that these three kids are doing it while the rest of us are sitting here and bitchin about every thing they do that isn't done the way we might do it. Give them some slack and see what becomes of the remainder of their hike, I'm sure they will grow and mature if they haven't done so already. I hope they make it.

rickb
05-12-2010, 18:43
Only one in 300,000 Americans ever attempt such a thing. Only one in a million ever complete the challenge. I think the kids deserve at least two cookies. Weary

That's probably true, Weary.

But something like 1 in 30,000 Americans claim to have done so.

hellomolly
05-12-2010, 19:05
They do deserve credit for getting as far as they have... and I hope they make it, because anyone who has the drive and desire and ability and stamina to do it, deserves to make it.

That being said... their video blogs are kinda obnoxious, to be honest. I mean this latest one, "girl power" or whatever... ugh. Wow. :rolleyes:

I don't really feel bad about all the criticism they're getting... They're putting themselves out there on purpose. I'm sure they know they're pissing people off, and I'm sure they're glad, because it drives more traffic and hits to their site. It's a good strategy to have.

weary
05-12-2010, 20:19
That's probably true, Weary.

But something like 1 in 30,000 Americans claim to have done so.Really? I simply rounded off some guesses. 300 million Americans. 1,000 thru hikers, a third of which claim to have finished.

All guesses and arithmetic. Are the guesses off? Or just my arithmetic?

Miner
05-12-2010, 21:30
But you can't take the whole population of the US and then compare it to those that hike in a single year. Some of that 300million did hike the whole thing in a previous year that you aren't including. The end result is still small though.

makoboy
05-13-2010, 06:58
I think the kids deserve at least two cookies.

Weary

If they had humbly joined the Peace Corps and spent 2 years in Bosnia helping people I would say certainly. Instead they are doing something that is completely self absorbed for attention.

They even went so far as to gain sponsorship (this alone seems curious given the perceived socio-economic background of a family that can send 1 kid to and ivy league school and the other to law school). Not that anyone shouldn’t try to get as much free stuff as they can, but lets call a spade a spade.

berkshirebirder
05-13-2010, 07:04
If young people learn anything in school these days, it's how to get someone else to pay for something. (only half joking).

hellomolly
05-13-2010, 07:07
If they had humbly joined the Peace Corps and spent 2 years in Bosnia helping people I would say certainly. Instead they are doing something that is completely self absorbed for attention.

They even went so far as to gain sponsorship (this alone seems curious given the perceived socio-economic background of a family that can send 1 kid to and ivy league school and the other to law school). Not that anyone shouldn’t try to get as much free stuff as they can, but lets call a spade a spade.

+1. Good points... Though their schooling does not necessarily connote a wealthy family. I went to a well rated and expensive private university but my parents didn't pay my way. They helped, but it's not like I don't have student loans up the wazoo too. For all we know, they took out loans for their respective schools and are paying them off themselves. Unless they previously said their parents paid for it... then nevermind, lol.

makoboy
05-13-2010, 07:16
+1. Good points... Though their schooling does not necessarily connote a wealthy family. I went to a well rated and expensive private university but my parents didn't pay my way. They helped, but it's not like I don't have student loans up the wazoo too. For all we know, they took out loans for their respective schools and are paying them off themselves. Unless they previously said their parents paid for it... then nevermind, lol.

Thats why i left it as "perceived". I know quite a few people who have graduated from law school in the last few years. Each of them came out with $150k+ in loans and are all struggling to make the monthly payments. As Im sure you know the grace period on those loans expires 6 months after graduation and the job market for lawyers is pretty lousy right now.

Gray Blazer
05-13-2010, 07:23
Many of the people on this forum I think are jealous of the fact that these three kids are doing it while the rest of us are sitting here and bitchin about every thing they do that isn't done the way we might do it.

Speak for yourself.

sherrill
05-13-2010, 07:59
I find "The Appalachian Trail: Unknown Territory" at the start of the videos somewhat amusing. I guess in the context of their situation it's appropriate but the AT is hardly a wilderness experience.

weary
05-13-2010, 09:32
But you can't take the whole population of the US and then compare it to those that hike in a single year. Some of that 300million did hike the whole thing in a previous year that you aren't including. The end result is still small though.
After some more guesses and a bit of 4th grade arithmetic. I've concluded that Rickb and Miner are probably more right than I was. Who would have thought such a thing?

Anyway, maybe two cookies are too much. After all, they are only doing something so common that one in 30,000 Americans attempt to do the same thing over a lifetime of living. How about if I just give them a cookie and a half each?

Besides it might have been more useful to society had they joined the peace corps. Or how about just working and donating their earnings to the working poor? Or buying land to be allowed to revert to wilderness?

Maybe we need a new White Blaze forum. Something like, "What's a better use of your time than wasting it by hiking the Appalachian Trail?

Weary

hellomolly
05-13-2010, 10:26
Maybe we need a new White Blaze forum. Something like, "What's a better use of your time than wasting it by hiking the Appalachian Trail?

Weary

Or maybe something like, "what's a better use of your time besides creating a self-absorbed video blog about the appalachian trail and posting about it constantly in the hopes people will talk about you?"

that's probably too long...

modiyooch
05-13-2010, 12:32
ya know, it wouldn't bother you so much if you didn't read it or watch it.
cabin fever?

Old Hiker
05-13-2010, 12:51
We hike with two lawyers, two retired preachers, two active preachers and a vet pathologist and no one died... although we came close during some of our card games

Preachers getting divine intervention on their inside straights and the lawyers threatening to sue because of it? Not sure what the vet pathologist could do, except do an autopsy on the preachers and a necropsy on the lawyers. :eek:

Just sayin'. ;)

TD55
05-13-2010, 13:24
Or maybe something like, "what's a better use of your time besides creating a self-absorbed video blog about the appalachian trail and posting about it constantly in the hopes people will talk about you?"

that's probably too long...

Well, people are talking about them. And they are hiking the AT and recording their hike in their down time. They aren't doing much different than lots of hikers have done and are doing in regards to journals and such except that they are getting attention here on WB. They are being honest and letting us in on their thoughts. If you don't find them interesting and what they learn along their hike to be educational, don't read about it or watch their vids.

hellomolly
05-13-2010, 13:37
Well, people are talking about them. And they are hiking the AT and recording their hike in their down time. They aren't doing much different than lots of hikers have done and are doing in regards to journals and such except that they are getting attention here on WB. They are being honest and letting us in on their thoughts. If you don't find them interesting and what they learn along their hike to be educational, don't read about it or watch their vids.

And that's totally fine. I have no problem with what they're doing - they can do what they want. I just find it annoying that people who criticize them are being bashed or told to not watch it or whatever. I mean, they are putting themselves out there. They asked for people's opinions and comments. If they said, "please post all your supportive and positive comments only," that would be different. But they are actively asking for people to make opinions and voice them regarding what they're doing.

modiyooch
05-13-2010, 13:48
And that's totally fine. I have no problem with what they're doing - they can do what they want. I just find it annoying that people who criticize them are being bashed or told to not watch it or whatever. I mean, they are putting themselves out there. They asked for people's opinions and comments. If they said, "please post all your supportive and positive comments only," that would be different. But they are actively asking for people to make opinions and voice them regarding what they're doing.
so.
We're just criticizing the criticizers. What's the problem?
Sorry, I have to admit, I haven't read or watched their blog.
If a tree falls in the forest and ....

hellomolly
05-13-2010, 13:52
so.
We're just criticizing the criticizers. What's the problem?

Okay, I give up, lol. :rolleyes:

TD55
05-13-2010, 14:27

Fair enough. :sun

Skidsteer
05-13-2010, 18:28
ya know, it wouldn't bother you so much if you didn't read it or watch it.
cabin fever?

Ding! ding! Ding!

Yes folks we have a winner.

Nuthatch
05-14-2010, 16:24
their video blogs are kinda obnoxious, to be honest. I mean this latest one, "girl power" or whatever... ugh. Wow. :rolleyes:

Ugg. That "girl power" one is just nauseating. And what's with the mascara and cigarettes?

moytoy
05-15-2010, 06:52
They are not bad or evil or good or devine. They are just miner players in a big world getting too much attention in MO. Not the first time thats happened and this won't be the last.

chief
05-15-2010, 09:27
Nothing wrong with a bit of attention and these kids are bright enough to get it. After reading their blog posts, here's my take:

Emily - just wanted a little respect and got it

Brandon - the boy is finding himself

Kate - is along for the ride and having a blast

I wish them well.

skinewmexico
05-15-2010, 10:11
I haven't read all the posts, but I do know that every time I hit the "new posts" button and see the title of this thread, I can't keep the thought "who cares?" from going thru my mind.

chief
05-15-2010, 11:11
I haven't read all the posts, but I do know that every time I hit the "new posts" button and see the title of this thread, I can't keep the thought "who cares?" from going thru my mind.
Really cool of you to take the time to share!

skinewmexico
05-15-2010, 14:48
Always glad to help.

WILLIAM HAYES
05-16-2010, 12:47
time to close this thread off

weary
05-16-2010, 12:57
Don't be silly. Those kids are looking forward and chuckling over all our comments. Why disappoint them?

kanga
05-16-2010, 14:38

Shut it down immediately! Somebodys bothered!

TD55
05-16-2010, 17:23
Ugg. That "girl power" one is just nauseating. And what's with the mascara and cigarettes?

You need to be around twenty something year old girls. If you were you would understand that it is about being treated as an equal and not stereotyped and treated like a child. As far as the mascara goes, what part of girls trying to look welled groomed and attractive don't you get? It's normal. The cig thing, well, what can you say, bad habit?

TD55
05-16-2010, 17:28

Whats wrong with you? It's about real people who are actually hiking the AT. Have you ever suggested that a thread by about raman noodles or oatmeal recipes be shut down?

Nuthatch
05-16-2010, 17:38
it is about being treated as an equal and not stereotyped and treated like a child. I've met many, many women that age on the Trail. I never saw any of them treated the way this girl claims she was. Sounds more like she has a huge chip on her shoulder, acted haughty and self-entitled, then threw a tantrum when other hikers didn't act like she was the most totally awsome-est chick on the entire AT. She comes across as a snotty, spoiled brat.

TD55
05-16-2010, 17:45
Females that age are discriminated against frequently. There is plenty of that going on here on this thread. Some girls take it and some girls don't. The ones that don't tend to piss some men off.

Nuthatch
05-16-2010, 17:58
Females that age are discriminated against frequently. There is plenty of that going on here on this thread. Some girls take it and some girls don't. The ones that don't tend to piss some men off.Does that include the ones who don't even bother to bring their own shelter, then "invite themselves" into the nearest man's tent?:rolleyes:

chelko
05-16-2010, 18:20
I have been following their blog and this thread since the beginning. They have done some stupid stuff, they have acted like 20 year olds, and they have made some people mad. But haven't we all. They have been on the trail for 68 days and have covered almost 800 miles. For novice backpackers of their age that is pretty good. They have matured and have acclimated to trail life quite well. A lot of people that have hiked with them have nothing but good things to say about them. The whole no tent thing happended the first week out, I'm sure they won't make that mistake again so give it rest. If you don't like them don't follow their blog or this thread and just sit there and be pissed that they are out hiking and you ain't.

modiyooch
05-16-2010, 18:22
Does that include the ones who don't even bother to bring their own shelter, then "invite themselves" into the nearest man's tent?:rolleyes:
that was feb 9th. alot of miles and time since then.

TD55
05-16-2010, 18:31
Does that include the ones who don't even bother to bring their own shelter, then "invite themselves" into the nearest man's tent?:rolleyes:

That is a gross exaggeration of what occurred. You are trying to put a spin on that story that is undeserving to a girl on her first week on the trail. Nobody is obligated to live up to your opinions. You have the right to voice them but when you try to demonize folks who have different views you become......never mind.

Nuthatch
05-16-2010, 20:54
That is a gross exaggeration of what occurred.
Here are her EXACT words:

When we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. No way! There was a young man who had arrived at the same time as us and was assembling his 2- person tent. I invited myself to sleep in his tent with him for the night, and he obliged. Based on his reaction, I think it's rare for a woman in these parts to be so bold.

How is it a "gross exaggeration" to say that she didn't bring a tent and then proceeded to invite herself into a (stranger) man's tent?

hellomolly
05-17-2010, 07:16
You need to be around twenty something year old girls. If you were you would understand that it is about being treated as an equal and not stereotyped and treated like a child. As far as the mascara goes, what part of girls trying to look welled groomed and attractive don't you get? It's normal. The cig thing, well, what can you say, bad habit?

...Really? I'm a 20 something year old girl and I've hiked plenty and I've never experienced what the girls in the video claim to experience. Seems like they're just looking for drama. And mascara, well, whatever floats your boat... but seriously, though, on the trail? I guess the only question is, 'why?'

And modi... since they didn't start 'til March, I doubt that little incident occurred in February.

modiyooch
05-17-2010, 07:56
[QUOTE=hellomolly;1013587 ?'

And modi... since they didn't start 'til March, I doubt that little incident occurred in February.[/QUOTE]yep, you are right. this thread started 2/9.
I remember the initial uproar when they posted the incident and assumed it was this thread. I'm relieved that the 15,000 views and 226 replies aren't totally regarding the tent issue.

chelko
05-18-2010, 09:56
OK so I have been a fan and supporter of their venture to this point. And I probably will remain so. But after reading their latest posts...would someone please take a mop and bucket out to the trail and clean up all that Estrogen they are spilling everywhere.

Covetree
05-18-2010, 13:04
Wow... really?

Nuthatch
05-18-2010, 13:06
OK so I have been a fan and supporter of their venture to this point. And I probably will remain so. But after reading their latest posts...would someone please take a mop and bucket out to the trail and clean up all that Estrogen they are spilling everywhere.Gotta love how one of the girls rants about society forcing women to "have their face painted with make-up,"...right above this picture on their site:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/4/2/3/painted_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40878&c=530)

:rolleyes:

mattmc89
05-18-2010, 13:38
They were a cool group of people, hiked about the same pace as them for around a week. Not the type of people everyone in the thread is trying to make them out to be.

berkshirebirder
05-18-2010, 13:44
I haven't followed their trip or this thread after the, um, rocky start. But chelko's comment about spilled estrogen provoked my curiosity and I read Emily's May 17 blog entry "I am woman, hear me roar!"

OMG, Emily. You need to get out of the ivy-covered walls more often and into the real world, where I assure you there are plenty of young and older women doing all sorts of non-traditional things. And not crowing about it, I might add.

"Why are there so few women who thru-hike the AT?" you ask. YOUR answer probably would be "Because women think they're weak and dependent." Which would be sexist. I'm tempted to say "Because they have more sense," but that probably would be sexist, too. So I'll just say "Perhaps the idea doesn't appeal to females as much it does to males, for lots of reasons."

Covetree
05-18-2010, 13:56
Gotta love how one of the girls rants about society forcing women to "have their face painted with make-up,"...right above this picture on their site:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/4/2/3/painted_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40878&c=530)

:rolleyes:

I'm not ranting, only trying to explore the different reasons that explain why there are so few women on the trail. I think that hiking is a great physical activity with many benefits so I am saddened that there aren't too many women out here on the AT doing a thru-hike.

I feel the societal pressures to put make-up on my face in order to look "good" as a woman.

kanga
05-18-2010, 14:08
i think you should concentrate more on your own self-confidence problem than that of "stereotypical women". i have never felt the need to wear makeup or to prove myself to others. once you are comfortable in your own shoes, i doubt you will either.
as for why there aren't more women on the trail, well, most are raised to be "ladies" and dirt is not proper for "ladies". that doesn't mean that to be raised as a girly girl is bad. it's just different. as soon as all the "ladies" become "atheletes", somebody'll start bitching that women aren't "allowed" to be "ladies" anymore and that we should all wear makeup. you should probably quit obsessing about other women and turn your introspective a little more deeply inwards.

Mags
05-18-2010, 14:59
Not as many women outdoors? Hmm...

Among my friends I have former Outward-bound instructors, an Everest climber, the person who introduce me to skiing did a 40 mile adventure-ski race twice (in the Rockies..not a Nordic center), women who've won climbing contests, a few female Triple Crowners and so on.

I think women in the outdoors are represented pretty well in my own admitted odd social circle. ;)

(My own kick-ass girlfriend just came back from nine days of technical canyoneering. And she does wear makeup when she damn well feels like it. Damn sexy German/Polish accent too..)

vonfrick
05-18-2010, 16:00
Not as many women outdoors? Hmm...

Among my friends I have former Outward-bound instructors, an Everest climber, the person who introduce me to skiing did a 40 mile adventure-ski race twice (in the Rockies..not a Nordic center), women who've won climbing contests, a few female Triple Crowners and so on.

I think women in the outdoors are represented pretty well in my own admitted odd social circle. ;)

(My own kick-ass girlfriend just came back from nine days of technical canyoneering. And she does wear makeup when she damn well feels like it. Damn sexy German/Polish accent too..)

yeah well you suck;):)

K2
05-18-2010, 17:54
Uh-oh, I'm about to get real popular.

I'm not saying this is a bad thread, but let's close it now, and let the three start afresh on a new post, if they choose.

Why? No matter what these three say/do from here on out, everyone's going to remember and harp on the first things that were done.

I've had a couple of posts on this thread that weren't exactly kind to them, so this is not intended to be holier-than-thou.

They're kids (Sorry OPs). Let's give them another chance to make a first good impression. K2

kanga
05-18-2010, 17:57
yeah well you suck;):)
Agreed

10 characters

kanga
05-18-2010, 18:06
Why? No matter what these three say/do from here on out, everyone's going to remember and harp on the first things that were done.

I've had a couple of posts on this thread that weren't exactly kind to them, so this is not intended to be holier-than-thou.

They're kids (Sorry OPs). Let's give them another chance to make a first good impression. K2

nah there's plenty of new stuff to harp on. But I agree they are kids with alot to learn and I think their journey will teach them many valuable lessons some of them hard. One of them is probably going to have more than others Apparently.

double d
05-18-2010, 20:52
I have been following their blog and this thread since the beginning. They have done some stupid stuff, they have acted like 20 year olds, and they have made some people mad. But haven't we all. They have been on the trail for 68 days and have covered almost 800 miles. For novice backpackers of their age that is pretty good. They have matured and have acclimated to trail life quite well. A lot of people that have hiked with them have nothing but good things to say about them. The whole no tent thing happended the first week out, I'm sure they won't make that mistake again so give it rest. If you don't like them don't follow their blog or this thread and just sit there and be pissed that they are out hiking and you ain't.

Well said Chelko, well worth re-reading again.

Darwin again
05-19-2010, 13:18
Their blog has turned into a women's studies course.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
{Those chips on their shoulders are pink.}

makoboy
05-19-2010, 15:35
From their Blog:
"Sat May 9, 2010 ~ To the people that work for Ellen (http://ellen.warnerbros.com/) --- We love your show, and it has inspired us to find time each day to dance, laugh, and play --- whether it be on top of a mountain or inside our tents at night. Sometimes, if you just dance . . . it can completely change the day. So get ready for your inbox to be overloaded with emails because the Traveling Circus intends to come dance on your show . . ."

IMO they are still out there doing nothing but attention-whoring and just want to get on TV for this.

Lone Wolf
05-19-2010, 15:38
From their Blog:
"Sat May 9, 2010 ~ To the people that work for Ellen (http://ellen.warnerbros.com/) --- We love your show, and it has inspired us to find time each day to dance, laugh, and play --- whether it be on top of a mountain or inside our tents at night. Sometimes, if you just dance . . . it can completely change the day. So get ready for your inbox to be overloaded with emails because the Traveling Circus intends to come dance on your show . . ."

IMO they are still out there doing nothing but attention-whoring and just want to get on TV for this.

nothin' wrong with that

WILLIAM HAYES
05-19-2010, 22:03
I am thinking maybe a new thread about what happens when you put a guy from athens the classic city (my old hometown) a guy from delaware and a hillbilly (ga Bulldog)on the trail with nothing to eat but oatmeal and ramen noodles for 4 months

TD55
05-19-2010, 22:21
I am thinking maybe a new thread about what happens when you put a guy from athens the classic city (my old hometown) a guy from delaware and a hillbilly (ga Bulldog)on the trail with nothing to eat but oatmeal and ramen noodles for 4 months

There would be arguments everyday about what to have for lunch.

tuswm
05-20-2010, 10:06
Sorry I didnt read the whole thing.......Why didnt they have a tent? Did something happen to it? I only watched the one video and in the video that girl has a chip on her shoulder about guys. The guy in the first video looks as if he could be gay. Are they brother and sister?

Also that whole comment about guy not talking to her until she passed them the next day......I have been hiking for a long time and so has my girlfriend. Nither of us have ever seen anything like that. Usually its the other way around. Girls get attention anywhere they go. Its not like guys stop wanted to sleep with girls cuz they are in the woods.

I just dont understand this whole tread.

hellomolly
05-20-2010, 10:31
... The guy in the first video looks as if he could be gay....

I just dont understand this whole tread.

And I just don't understand why you felt the need to interject that little gem in your otherwise innocuous post. :rolleyes:

maicheneb
05-20-2010, 11:09
From their Blog:

Their expedition reeks of reality show drama. Not even the AT is safe from that poison nowadays.

ChinMusic
05-20-2010, 11:56
Their expedition reeks of reality show drama. Not even the AT is safe from that poison nowadays.
Their sphere of influence is as big as you want it to be.

Hike ahead or behind them and they don't "exist".