PDA

View Full Version : How to fit everything in my pack??

Juno
02-09-2010, 11:34
I have been messing around trying to find the best way to get all of my gear into my bag efficiently. My sleeping bag by far takes up the most room- should I get a compression bag for it? My tent (MSR Hubba) doesn't take up too much space, but should I squish the tent in and keep the poles seperate on the outside of my pack? My bag (Ariel Osprey 65) has a little optional compartment at the bottom of the pack- is there any conventional wisdom about what is supposed to be there on the bottom? I also have a 10 liter rolltop bag that I am planning on using for food, another ditty bag for my clothes and misc items (knife, data book, etc.), and then my stove/pot

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

GeneralLee10
02-09-2010, 11:39
Does that pack have two straps on the bottom of it? If so you could put the tent there. Your not going to wanna put a wet tent in your pack anyway.

mister krabs
02-09-2010, 11:54
I'd put the tent body in the little compartment you're talking about and strap the poles on the side.

garlic08
02-09-2010, 11:57
Some people use compression sacks, but the drawbacks include damaging the insulation and being left with a small hard bowling ball to pack around somehow.

Seriously reconsider taking other bulky items, like extra clothing. Mt Squid, whom you may meet at Springer, has a great saying about clothing, something like if you can't wear it all at once you have too much.

I like to pack my bag and clothing at the bottom (in a trash compactor bag if rainy), then "squish" the tent on top of that, then food and other stuff. Poles and stakes go inside, aligned with my spine. The only thing outside is a water bottle, my toothbrush, and maybe a map bag if needed. Good luck with your project.

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 12:05
That separate compartment is for your sleeping bag, which you may want to get a compression sack for. If your tent is wet, you can switch where you put things and put your tent down there -- it'll keep your wet tent separate from your other gear. While that is a sleeping bag compartment, you can put other stuff in there -- with a compression sack for both I could fit my sleeping bag and clothes in there (I have an Atmos), but keep in mind that you don't want to load the lower part of your bag with heavy items.

Poles can be put on the outside of your pack, on the side, running in through the compression straps and tucked into one of the side stretchy bottle pockets. Stakes can be put in the same pocket, and then yes, cram that tent down.

You'll be surprised at how much crap you can stuff in the shovel pocket on the back of the pack.

I suggest having your miscellaneous items in their own bag, stored in the top lid pocket (the brain), including your headlamp.

If you have the 2010 model, I wouldn't plan on using the J-Panel access zipper too much -- keep things you want access to in the lid or the shovel pocket.

DAKS
02-09-2010, 12:06
i just took a look at that pack. i am assuming the bottom compartment is for yer' sleeping bag? is there a zipper that separates it from the main body of the pack? if so, unzip that or do away with it entirely. then, to echo that which garlic said, stuff yer' sleeping bag and clothing into the pack lined with a compactor bag. tent and then food on top of that. it looks like you can put the tent poles on the left hand side of yer' pack under the compression straps. your sleeping pad could go under the hood or on the bottom of the pack as advertised on the osprey website. good luck!

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 12:10
I have an advanced technique, called stuffing. Sit on your pack and STUFF!!! Stuff as if your life depended on it!

But seriously, I'm a dry gear fan, so everything except my tent is in waterproof compression sacks, ziplocs, or trash bags (and my tent goes in a trashbag or outside my pack when wet). I compress my sleeping bag in one compression sack, and some of my clothing in another. The rest goes in ziplocs, and is stuffed around the compression sacks to fill in the empty spaces between the "bowling balls". Works well for me. (My compression sack of choice is the Outdoor Research HydroSeal DryComp Sack, and granitegear sacks.)

Many Walks
02-09-2010, 12:31
I have been messing around trying to find the best way to get all of my gear into my bag efficiently. My sleeping bag by far takes up the most room- should I get a compression bag for it? My tent (MSR Hubba) doesn't take up too much space, but should I squish the tent in and keep the poles seperate on the outside of my pack? My bag (Ariel Osprey 65) has a little optional compartment at the bottom of the pack- is there any conventional wisdom about what is supposed to be there on the bottom? I also have a 10 liter rolltop bag that I am planning on using for food, another ditty bag for my clothes and misc items (knife, data book, etc.), and then my stove/pot

Osprey designed the small compartment at the bottom as a sleeping bag compartment. http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.php?productID=11&colorCode=608&tab=features The Osprey site also gives other suggestions on packing. You can stuff your bag in there inside a plastic bag to keep it dry. I prefer putting my bag in a silnylon compression bag in the bottom of of my pack, which helps keep the heavier stuff higher and close to my back. I only compress to a size that fits well in my pack and flattens a bit, not so tight as to form a bowling ball, which in my opinion wastes space. The tent also goes in a compression bag to save space and when it's wet it just gets strapped to the outside till I can get it dry. I like using light weight compression and stuff sacks to keep things organized and to avoid searching for things in the pack. Enjoy your hike!

Blissful
02-09-2010, 12:36
You probably have a synthetic bag if its that big - ?. Will likely need a compression sack for it. Or switch to down which compresses better.

Two Speed
02-09-2010, 13:07
Does that pack have two straps on the bottom of it? If so you could put the tent there. Your not going to wanna put a wet tent in your pack anyway.My preferred technique. Also allows pitching and striking camp in the rain w/o exposing the rest of myr gear to precip.

Of course you do want to make very sure that the tent/tarp/whatever is securely attached.

mweinstone
02-09-2010, 13:44
anyone whos ever witnessed my pack being loaded or unloaded is amazed and sure theyve never seen a more perfect job. the pillars of my genious are these.

a waterproof coating on my sleeping bag requires no stuf or trash bag

the folds in my zrest pad stow my stakes,stove,spoon and pot lifter

my single tentpole for my megamid is straped on the back next to the pad verticaly

both my cookpots and pot bag sit atop my pad lashed on

my pint fuel bottle is straped to the side comp strap.

all other rigid gear is in my top pocket but for my trangia and potlid. this makes my unstuffed main compartment fully space useing and fully soft and ruged. i can plop down on my pack. you cant. nothing is in a stuff but food. no clothes are extra or can even get more than damp. my rain cover is my defence agin downpours. i simply rule the known world.

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 13:48
Seriously reconsider taking other bulky items, like extra clothing. Mt Squid, whom you may meet at Springer, has a great saying about clothing, something like if you can't wear it all at once you have too much.

While you do need to carry enough clothing to deal with various inclement conditions, this point is well taken. In my experience, almost all hikers new to long distance backpacking bring too many clothes and too much food.

Ladytrekker
02-09-2010, 14:00

I have the same pack the compartment at the bottom is your sleeping bag compartment just squish it in there. The pack has a system inside that you can move that separation piece down if your sleeping bag does not take up all the space.

My sleeping bag and neoair pad goes in there for mine. The tent can be strapped on the bottom of your pack or set inside the outside pocket on the back of the main pack. I also split up my tent and poles my poles go in one of the side pockets.

Theory has it light at the bottom, medium weight towards the outside of the pack away from the body and heaviest up against your back. The Osprey also has the top pack be careful of getting that to heavy if you lean to far to one side you are going over.

Good luck on your hike.

mweinstone
02-09-2010, 14:13
suddenly, i am alone in greatness.

Old Grouse
02-09-2010, 15:41
My god. I actually understood that!

Rockhound
02-09-2010, 16:08
Tent/poles wrapped in groundcloth strapped to the pack using two bottom straps on back of pack, camp shoes secured above those items. Clothing in bottom zippered compartment, sleeping bag packed in bottom of top 1/2. food, stove misc. above that with rain gear on top. In top detachable portion of bag I'd keep things like pack cover, that days food, headlamp, first aid, handbook, cell phone, T.P and anything else that is small and you want easy access to. I'd strap a Camelback on 1 side and carry a Nalgene on the opposite side. Lastly keep your moonshine wrapped in your rain gearto protect it from breaking (moonshine should always be carried in mason jars) and to protect it from the suns harmful rays.

mweinstone
02-09-2010, 16:14
water bottles are dumb. a bladder is all you need.
toilet paper rolls are dumb. tissue mini pacs is all ya need.
camp shoes are weak and unimportant.
cameras arent food and should break and die.
i am the worlds largest human being and you will pack what i say.

everyone bring fudge and bacon and bourban.

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 16:16

I'm trying to figure out why he spelled "suddenly" correctly. I think he must have done it on purpose, but I don't know what the hidden meaning is.

mweinstone
02-09-2010, 16:19
how bout meals made to kill. sausage wraped fudge bacon soup soda.
chocolate coconut steak sandwitch with cotton candy and marmalade.
pizza tuna barbaque mesqite chips and mayo drink.
fries and a burger made entierly of pudding skins.
i could go on.these are things you put in a pack first.

skinewmexico
02-09-2010, 21:26
Must be a really big bag. Or you got too much stuff.

leaftye
02-09-2010, 21:45

I'm bringing a bottle for my protein shakes.

Canada Goose
02-10-2010, 00:08

Watch it ! That's Jester's slogan :D

Or, at least, something that resembles it ...:-?

Canada Goose
02-10-2010, 00:17

Okay, I think you can snap out of it, now. Things are back to normal.

See below...

Mountain Wildman
02-10-2010, 00:22
Get a Larger Pack!!!

handlebar
02-10-2010, 23:00
That is, you must acquit yourself of the some of the extra gear. :) Are you sure you don't have a corollary to Murphy's Law working here: the gear expands to fill the space available.

Seriously, for the synthetic bag I carried on the AT, a compression stuff sack was necessary. I used another one for my clothes bag. I must admit, I carried too much in my clothes bag and I have since converted to a down sleeping bag, which I very carefully prevent from getting wet by stuffing it in a sea to summit dry bag and putting that, with another dry bag for my clothes inside a trash compacter liner inside my pack. I stowed my tent on the outside of the pack in the "stuff it" pocket---not the best place for weight distribution.

traildust
02-11-2010, 14:08

Yes. pack poles separate. put sleeping bag in the bottom inside a waterproof compression bag. Tent and bag might fit in bottom. Don't buy a bigger bag. pack less.

Tinker
02-11-2010, 16:13

There is a thread here custom made for Matty: the "Slightly off topic" thread :D.
Gotta love that guy! :)

leaftye
02-11-2010, 16:20
You say your sleeping bag takes the most room. I was having the same problem. I could barely stuff my bag, bivy and groundcloth into the bottom compartment of my pack. Doing so required cinching down super hard on the compression straps on my stuff sack. That's bad.

I ended up switching to a down quilt. I don't have it yet, but from reviews, it's much much smaller even with minimal compression. I bet I'll even be able to add my puffy layers to that bottom compartment with minimal compression.