PDA

View Full Version : Bastian ?

Spirit Walker
02-09-2010, 15:15
Since we're snowbound right now, I decided to reread my old AT journals for a while. In the '80s and early '90's there was a really nice family in Bastian that had a diner in town. Levi and Jan Long opened up a hostel and took good care of hikers. They had music jam sessions on the porch of the diner. Really good people who loved the hiking community. It was a really great place to stay. The hostel was closed after a couple of bad incidents with hikers and hikers went back to stopping at Bland instead of Bastian.

So - to anybody who lives in the area or has visited Bastian in recent years: do you know if the Longs still own the diner there? Do you know if Mr. Schroeder ever finished his underground house? (He was an interesting character too.) Do they still have live music sessions? I'd like to say hello sometime, if they are still there.

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 16:37
the diner is no longer and mr. schroeder died some years back

Canada Goose
02-09-2010, 22:31
One of the experiences that I regretfully did not get to have, was dropping off the trail into Bastian on a Sunday, and right into the Long's mountain music jam sessions.

Folks don't often think about the cultural opportunities they may have while heading north. From what I've read and heard, this was an experience not to be missed.

Once, while at Cades Cove in the SMNP, an impromptu jam session broke out. Guitar, Banjo, Dulcimer, Fiddle, Mandolin. Young and Old. Man and Woman. I spent the better part of an hour listening to the sweet sounds, as did the large crowd that gathered.

I'm sure those that trod the trail in those days, would have had a similar experience. Any one out there with a good story to tell?

Lone Wolf
02-10-2010, 01:36
i went to a few of Levi and friends pickin's

Lugnut
02-10-2010, 09:34
Well, that was an interesting story. :D

Spirit Walker
02-10-2010, 11:57
We got to Bastian fairly early and asked if there would be any music that day. Levi said, "Well, I'm not sure. One of the guys is fishing right now." So we went to the hostel and stretched out. Then one of the other hikers came back and said, "Music has started." We sat out on the porch for about three hours, listening to the bluegrass music. There were about five men that day. They were good. The thing I remember best about the Sunday jam session was how totally involved the musicians were in their playing. They didn't want to quit. To some extent, they were playing for us, but even more, they were playing for the joy of it.

Canada Goose
02-10-2010, 14:00
i went to a few of Levi and friends pickin's

I thought you might have. Lucky dog! Er, I mean, wolf :).

Canada Goose
02-10-2010, 14:12
We got to Bastian fairly early and asked if there would be any music that day. Levi said, "Well, I'm not sure. One of the guys is fishing right now." So we went to the hostel and stretched out. Then one of the other hikers came back and said, "Music has started." We sat out on the porch for about three hours, listening to the bluegrass music. There were about five men that day. They were good. The thing I remember best about the Sunday jam session was how totally involved the musicians were in their playing. They didn't want to quit. To some extent, they were playing for us, but even more, they were playing for the joy of it.

That was my impression of the pickers at Cades Cove. They were right into it, and were taking their listeners along for the ride. :sun