PDA

View Full Version : parking at massie gap

shades of blue
09-22-2004, 13:19
I am planning on camping on wilburn ridge in the Greyson Highlands area. The plan is to park at the parking area at Massie gap, hike to the AT go sobo and camp at some of the grassy campsites before thomas knob shelter. Has anyone parked at this parking area? I don't know if it costs anything, if the park will be closed by 5:30 or so on a Friday.....Is this a safe area to leave your vehicle. I hiked nobo through the highlands last october and loved it. Just going to do an overnighter, then a day hike the next day around wilburn ridge. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated. Going Friday.
I was first going to camp at Wesser bald, but with Fran and Ivan stiring the pot, wasn't sure about the forest roads to get to tellico gap.
Thanks.

Groucho
09-22-2004, 14:13
Been a while since I parked at Massie. Then, there was a $2 fee/ day on weekends and $1/day on weekdays. Very safe. Not sure how late they take the fee. They do close the gate at night (about 10 or so if I remember correctly). They should man the gates fairly late; the entrance also is the way to the campground. Maybe LW can fill in the chinks or you might call.

A nice camping spot is at the highest point on Wilburn Ridge as you are going S on the AT. It is on a blue blazed climb to the top of the peak where the Fatmans Squeeze is. Just shy of the top is a nice grassy spot just big enough for a 2 man tent.

jlb2012
09-22-2004, 15:35
I parked at Massie Gap over the Labor Day weekend - three nights / four days - $12 so I assume the weekend rate is now $3 per day (or any part of a day). Probably the week day rate is $2 but I am less sure of that.

That site up on Wilburn ridge is nice but it can be very very windy and its a bit of a walk to water (not too bad only about .2 to the spring at Rhodo. Gap) - all up hill on the way back of course (grin). That site also gets lots of traffic from people coming up to Wilburn Ridge including after nightfall - people coming up to look out on all the campfires in Rhodo Gap. and to stargaze.

chknfngrs
09-22-2004, 15:50
great place, even night hiking is easy here. parking is very safe. as stated, small fee is collected. fanastic, horsey-neighbors...

Frosty
09-22-2004, 20:32
Has anyone parked at this parking area? I don't know if it costs anything, if the park will be closed by 5:30 or so on a Friday.....I was there last January, as as far as I recall (people, places and things tend to merge together in my mind after a while), the park was unmanned, but there was a sef-service collection for a daily fee. One of those put the money in an envelope and leave the tab on dashboard type of things.

shades of blue
09-22-2004, 20:52
Where is the spring near Rhodo. gap? I don't remember it being on the AT, is it on the virginia horse trail, or wilburn ridge trail that blue blazes from Rhodo gap? I plan to camp between Rhodo gap and thomas knob, then hike to the summit of Mt. Rogers (I skipped the summit on my previous hike). I would also like to hike the wilburn ridge trail that intersects near Rhodo gap....it's supposed to intersect again with the AT. Does anyone know how long that blue blaze is? I'm really excited about this hike. I've not been able to overnight anywhere since my summer hike ended at the end of July.

jlb2012
09-22-2004, 22:43
Where is the spring near Rhodo. gap? I don't remember it being on the AT, is it on the virginia horse trail, or wilburn ridge trail that blue blazes from Rhodo gap? I plan to camp between Rhodo gap and thomas knob, then hike to the summit of Mt. Rogers (I skipped the summit on my previous hike). I would also like to hike the wilburn ridge trail that intersects near Rhodo gap....it's supposed to intersect again with the AT. Does anyone know how long that blue blaze is? I'm really excited about this hike. I've not been able to overnight anywhere since my summer hike ended at the end of July.

The spring at Rhodo. Gap - locate the intersection of the Crest Trail and the Rhodo. Gap Tr.; go down hill on the Crest Trail about 30 yards and look to your left - you will see a social trail marked with a couple rocks and if you look carefully you can see a wooden fence - the social trail leads to the spring which is surrounded by the fence to keep the horses out. Other approach is to follow the Rhodo. Gap Tr. about 30 yards and hang a right onto a social trail - can't see the fence from this direction however until you go down the social trail a bit. From the AT you will notice several obvious campsites - walk through these campsites and you will see the Crest Tr. / Rhodo Gap Tr. intersection sign then proceed as above. These campsites are approx. .1 south on the AT of the intersection of the AT with the Pine Mtn. Tr. and Crest Tr. The Crest Tr. eventually meets the Virginia Highlands Horse Tr. but if you go that far you have long since missed the spring.

The Wilburn Ridge Tr. it is about 1 mile in two sections - about half way through it intersects the Rhodo. Gap Tr. in a rather flat area. Both ends of the Wilburn Ridge Tr. are on the AT.

Lone Wolf
09-23-2004, 09:10
I'm leaving in a coupla hours to go to the same place except I'm parking at the Scales, blue-blazing to Wise Shelter then AT to the campsite Shades is talking about.

shades of blue
09-23-2004, 12:18
L. Wolf
How long are you going to be in the area? If I am there on Friday evening and in the area on Saturday. Maybe I will run into the L. Wolf.

shades of blue
09-26-2004, 21:25
Got back yesterday from my hike. Thanks for all the info on massie gap. It was a wonderful trip...great to get back out there, and wilburn ridge is a wonderful place to hike. Thanks again.