PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get new members....

whisperingwind
02-09-2010, 18:54
Im working on a new website and trying to get a few knowledgeable thrus to join in when a newbie has questions about the AT. If you'd like to join, visit http://appalachiantrail.webs.com:sun

10-K
02-09-2010, 19:39
Good luck with the new site!

Mountain Wildman
02-09-2010, 19:55
Good idea,
I am planning my first thru now, I'll have to check it out afterwards.

Skidsteer
02-09-2010, 20:03
Im working on a new website and trying to get a few knowledgeable thrus to join in when a newbie has questions about the AT. If you'd like to join, visit http://appalachiantrail.webs.com:sun
Dude, you're the only member so far.

You don't have anybody for the "knowledgeable thrus" to give advice to.

Maybe you better include newbies in your invitation.

BrianLe
02-09-2010, 20:31
I definitely DON'T mean this as any sort of negative or attack, but just curiosity --- what's unique about this new site over whiteblaze? Is it intended to replace whiteblaze (??), create competition in order perhaps to make both "better", provide different functionality that's missing here, or ... ?

whisperingwind
02-09-2010, 20:38
No, its not to try to take over whiteblaze(that'll be a hell of a long shot for that to happen!), but I've always wanted to be able to create a hiking site for the AT. Im not trying to be competitive, just trying something new.:)

Blissful
02-09-2010, 20:53
White Blaze does a good job on that avenue, I think. You'll need a different angle to make it unique and thus draw people to the site. :)

Lone Wolf
02-09-2010, 21:00
No, its not to try to take over whiteblaze(that'll be a hell of a long shot for that to happen!), but I've always wanted to be able to create a hiking site for the AT. Im not trying to be competitive, just trying something new.:)

you on trailplace?

hikingshoes
02-09-2010, 21:01
For me Whiteblaze is the site for AT information,and Hammock Forum for all your Hammock information.HS

Phreak
02-09-2010, 21:05
I'm not a thru-hiker but I signed up on your site.

Bearpaw
02-10-2010, 00:28
It could be a great place for those who dislike the overmoderation at Whiteblaze.

Here are the rules (the only entry in the forums so far):

"Its not to make your visit unpleasant, but to make everyone's visit a pleasant one. So therefore, the rules have been set forth, and may be subject to change with/without prior notification. Remember, any violation may result in suspension or being banned from this site. So let's keep it clean. 1) No fighting, if you disagree with a post, say so, but in a nice way. 2) No name bashing, name calling and degrading of users. 3) No politics, that's not this site intention, unless it regards to the trail. 4) No flooding the forums to be heard, this is not a chatroom. 5) Profanity will get you banned. (the words hell and damn not included) More rules will follow soon, if you think it'swrong, then don't do it. "

So if you like lots of rules but hate moderation, mmmm, well, yeah. Good luck.

emerald
02-10-2010, 01:00
Between NPS, ATC, local resource management agencies, trail clubs, ALDHA, WhiteBlaze, Trailplace, Facebook, et al. the A.T. is thoroughly covered. People seeking information are already drowning in it. What's needed at this point is higher quality information which is more readily accessible in support ATC's efforts, not more venues which repeat what's already provided elsewhere.

For better or worse, as long as I continue to contribute to an A.T. forum it will here. I have no intention of dividing my time between two or more sites.

A focused blog of some sort might be better use of your time, but at this moment I don't have any specific suggestions about subjects you might address.

Sailor (The other one)
02-10-2010, 13:32
Another WB member tried something similar with a site called ATHikersonline. He gave it up and I took it over, then I gave it up and someone else took it over and I think it is now dead. No interest. As others here have said, WB does a great job and there are tons of other sites with AT info. I think you'd need something different, some new angle about the trail, or perhaps as Emerald said, a focused blog, might be a better idea.
Good luck.

chief
02-10-2010, 17:02
Sure, there may be room for another AT forum if done right. Currently, aside from WB, the others are mostly side projects for sites promoting books or trail services and don't have the necessary commitment from the owners. Commitment is the key word, as Sailor has said, AT sites come and go.

As I see it, your project shows no commitment at all, given that it's hosted by a free "generic" web site generator. Easy right? In a matter of minutes you can set up a half-ass complete web site. If it doesn't take, you can just walk away!

Not interested.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2010, 10:29
no members on the site yet

Sailor (The other one)
02-11-2010, 11:08
Signed up yesterday. Waiting for approval.

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2010, 14:44
Speaking for myself, I don't have time for more A.T. websites and on some days spend altogether too much time on this one.