PDA

View Full Version : What are your plans for the latest Storm?

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 22:13
I was wondering what most folks plans are for the latest storm. I know some of you are still digging out from the last one. Give it up it will melt in the next month or so.

Hank has been house bound way too long and so as I stood out on the porch a few moments ago the idea hit me wake up, pack up , head out! I figure het the train crossing at NY Rt 22 in the AM, it's a snow day so lets not get crazy 10 am, and head up to the Telephone Pioneer Shelter. Have a quick hot lunch and head back to the car. a quick 7 miles or so in the snow. This will also give me a chance to check my section and clear any downed limbs that have fallen since my last pass through there.

So what do the rest of you have planned? Or is it beer and old movies for the majority of you? I plan that for the afternoon? Trying to make a full day of it if i can.

DAJA
02-09-2010, 22:28
How do you know tomorrow will be a snowday? This is genuise! Around my parts they wait till the final minute to shut things down, like say 7:30 AM... All the kiddies and their parents are huddled around the kitchen radio, fingers crossed, just hoping for those magic words, "schools closed today"... The poor parents always have that deep seeded hope that they'll hear their office is closed, but that never happens... NEVER! Well thats not exactly true, Toronto once shut the city down and declared a state of emergency and requested the military come in and give them a hand... But the rest of Canada collectively laughed at them and promptly made Toronto the butt of many jokes..

Butt jeeze a preemptive cancelation! I love it...

Lostone
02-09-2010, 22:33
Just got in from digging out the driveway. Lets see, later tonight supposed to be 40 mph winds with zero visibility. Sound like a snow day for the kids tomorrow.

I will be busy digging out tomorrow too.

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 22:51
How do you know tomorrow will be a snowday? This is genuise! Around my parts they wait till the final minute to shut things down, like say 7:30 AM... All the kiddies and their parents are huddled around the kitchen radio, fingers crossed, just hoping for those magic words, "schools closed today"... The poor parents always have that deep seeded hope that they'll hear their office is closed, but that never happens... NEVER! Well thats not exactly true, Toronto once shut the city down and declared a state of emergency and requested the military come in and give them a hand... But the rest of Canada collectively laughed at them and promptly made Toronto the butt of many jokes..

Butt jeeze a preemptive cancelation! I love it...

lets see Canada and a Joke? Just kidding my In-laws might as well ne canadian they live in Lockport NY!

We haven't had many snow days this year so they have them figured into the budget of days off if there is a good reason they pull the trigger. Saw one of the school Admin people at the store this afternoon and she said bank on it so that is a good enough reason for me. Even if the don't I have the flexibility to do what /i want when the weather is like this that I'll go out even if the kid is stuck on the bus! I know I suck he tell me this all the time.

LeeAllure
02-09-2010, 22:56
I just heard that Boston is closing schools for tomorrow. Better safe than even worse traffic, I guess. I'm still disappointed that the 50+ inches of snow my friends in DC and Philly got have missed southern NH!

Even if we get a lot of snow tomorrow, I'm going to go into work. It's just
a mile or so away. If we got too much, and I couldn't dig the car out, I woulk just walk!

Lee

Jester2000
02-09-2010, 23:28
Baltimore called school for the rest of the week. Cowards.

superman
02-09-2010, 23:35
The local weather station said that the storm is going to pass to the south of us. Enjoy...it's my fault. I bout a new snow blower with a 30" auger. We haven't had any snow worth mentioning since I bought the snow blower.:)

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 23:35
Baltimore called school for the rest of the week. Cowards.

The average intelligence for Baltimore grads just dropped by 10 points for the next 4 years.:rolleyes:

dovecote
02-09-2010, 23:36
Fed workers in DC have another day off on Wednesday so they can shovel snow at their homes.

sasquatch2014
02-09-2010, 23:36
The local weather station said that the storm is going to pass to the south of us. Enjoy...it's my fault. I bout a new snow blower with a 30" auger. We haven't had any snow worth mentioning since I bought the snow blower.:)

that's because you bought it. If you had looked at it but put it off till next year you would have gotten all the snow.

emerald
02-10-2010, 01:07
Just got back from work and I intend to report tomorrow, but then we're not afraid of a little bit of snow.

Slo-go'en
02-10-2010, 02:26

Yep, that will do it. Maybe you can load it up in the truck and sell it at a premium down in Philly :)

Looks like a good weekend to go to Gray Knob - mild temps for this time of year, no storms and hard packed/icy snow all the way up, so can give the crampons a work out. Might even try to summit Adams - haven't done that in a long time.

daddytwosticks
02-10-2010, 08:31
Pre-emptive snow days happen all the time down south here. The DOT simply does not have the snow removal equipment available to the northerners for obvious reasons.

Mrs Baggins
02-10-2010, 08:59
We're now in Blizzard Warning mode - possible wind gusts to 50+ mph while snowing heavily. It's pretty much a white out now around our house. School kids are going be in class in July at this rate.

nitewalker
02-10-2010, 09:11
we are geting the first flakes over here in norteast ct as i write this. we are forecast to have anywhere between 8 and maybe 15 inches depending how the storm sets up..my plans for the day are to sit around for most of it then venture out for a late afternoon walk thru the height of the storm....im hoping we get walloped with the higher amounts of snow!!

Lone Wolf
02-10-2010, 09:52
what storm?

Rocket Jones
02-10-2010, 09:55
I made a run to the grocery store yesterday and the roads around here are still a mess from the last storm. I don't expect I'll be going in to work at all this week. Too many idiots in SUV's who think they can drive in any conditions.

ki0eh
02-10-2010, 09:58
Well I finally got to compiling the volunteer work hours on the trail for 2009, next up is taxes...

veteran
02-10-2010, 10:04
I think we all need a little spring today!

I'm sending you some Spring!!!!

Click on the snowman. You will get a black page.
Click your mouse anywhere (& everywhere) on the page & see what happens!
Better yet, click (hold down) & drag your mouse over the black page... or do as I did and just click away...
Enjoy!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7961&stc=1&d=1265810353 (http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf)

mudhead
02-10-2010, 10:05
Too many idiots in SUV's who think they can drive
faster than they should

in any conditions.

It is amusing how pickup with plows attached poke along around here in poor conditions. Then the Volvo goes blazing by.

Old Hiker
02-10-2010, 10:47
Heard an interview on the radio that liquor stores in Maryland were selling out completely. Not sure if it was true or not, but maybe all those people have alcohol stoves to cook with when the power goes out?

Spirit Walker
02-10-2010, 11:51
We spent all day yesterday watching the snow fall. Shoveled once, just at dark. Woke up this morning and it's still coming down. The roads won't be plowed until at least tomorrow so we aren't going anywhere. So we'll spend today as we did yesterday and last Saturday - shoveling the driveway and watching more snow fall. Hiking may be impossible for a while - they aren't plowing the trailhead parking lots.

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 11:55
I made a run to the grocery store yesterday and the roads around here are still a mess from the last storm. I don't expect I'll be going in to work at all this week. Too many idiots in SUV's who think they can drive in any conditions.

People down here with four wheel drive are unaware that it doesn't help you stop. It just helps you get up to a speed where you're dangerous.

superman
02-10-2010, 12:02
People down here with four wheel drive are unaware that it doesn't help you stop. It just helps you get up to a speed where you're dangerous.

When I was a kid any housewife could throw a set of chains on her rear wheel drive american car in 5 minutes, get herself out of a snow bank and the snow plow wasn't expected to get to the house for days after a snow storm. Now there are all these people who think an SUV compensates for not a lick of sense...but that's ok cause they can call someone to save them on their cell phone.:)

Toolshed
02-10-2010, 12:09
lets see Canada and a Joke? Just kidding my In-laws might as well ne canadian they live in Lockport NY!

Yikes... Spent many years there... always listening to CFNY, CHFM and CHFI Radio eh????

Blue Jay
02-10-2010, 12:11
CROSS COUNTRY SKI BABY, without that there is no reason to live up here. No snow in the woods go to a downhill area and ski up the man made snow and then down to exhaustion. As for driving, STUDDED TIRES BABY, both car and cycle. 4 wheel relative to that is crap as you can stop, in fact you can drive on a frozen lake, very much fun. I don't bother to plow my drive way under 6 inches as under that I just chew it up. I always want 2 feet but that has not happened in years, damn south gets it now.

Canada Goose
02-10-2010, 13:50
Strange things are happening, weatherwise. Our nation capital is buried under snow in what used to be thought of as the sunnier south. But here a third of the way up the long coast of Maine, my lawn has no snow cover.

Same here, up until today. Southern Ontario is the northern edge of the winter storm to the south. We've gotten about three inches of the white stuff so far.

DAKS
02-10-2010, 14:08

just heard this on the radio!!! "50 car pile up on I-64 west." this is out of the tidewater area somewhere around williamsburg VA. interstate is SHUTDOWN! 4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!!! hope everyone is okay though as that sounds pretty bad!!!

Cookerhiker
02-10-2010, 14:14
...The DOT simply does not have the snow removal equipment available to the northerners for obvious reasons.

Actually, I don't understand that - isn't Murphy in the far western i.e. mountainous i.e. snowy part of NC? Isn't snow a way of life there? Or is that only the case in Boone?

sasquatch2014
02-10-2010, 15:20
Just got back from a quick little hike from NY 22 up to Telephone Pioneer shelter. Some new snow but nothing big yet. I should have waiter till later. I guess I'll just have to go out again tonight. Main part of the storm is to arrive around dinner now. They were saying around 11:00 but changed that.

Best part of the hike was watching two Red Tailed Hawks and listing to their calls. The other fun part was watching Hank my dog wipe out on some ice. The look of shock on his face had tears coming down my cheeks I was laughing so hard. He's ok and I shared some Cracker Jacks with him up at the shelter and so he forgave me.

Old Grouse
02-10-2010, 15:27
Forgive, maybe. Forget - not so much. I bet he's just waiting until your next faceplant. Maybe he'll share his Milkbone.

sasquatch2014
02-10-2010, 15:44
Forgive, maybe. Forget - not so much. I bet he's just waiting until your next faceplant. Maybe he'll share his Milkbone.

My kids love Milkbone. Me not so much.

Does this look like a face that is holding a grudge?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf3334_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39422&c=521)

Old Hiker
02-10-2010, 15:45
I think we all need a little spring today!

I'm sending you some Spring!!!!

Click on the snowman. You will get a black page.
Click your mouse anywhere (& everywhere) on the page & see what happens!
Better yet, click (hold down) & drag your mouse over the black page... or do as I did and just click away...
Enjoy!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7961&stc=1&d=1265810353
(http://www.procreo.jp/labo/flower_garden.swf)

THAT is neat! Thanks.

Old Grouse
02-10-2010, 15:48
Does this look like a face that is holding a grudge?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf3334_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39422&c=521)

No, gotta admit, he looks far too noble for that. Hank, you're a good dog.

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 15:53
For those in PA/MD:

I-81 is closed in Maryland and in PA up to I-80.

In PA, I-78, I-83, and PA 581 are all closed. PennDOT recommends staying off the roads.

Cookerhiker
02-10-2010, 16:17
For those in PA/MD:

In PA, I-78, I-83, and PA 581 are all closed. PennDOT recommends staying off the roads.

Not I-70????

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2010, 16:51
Just got in from digging out the driveway. Lets see, later tonight supposed to be 40 mph winds with zero visibility. Sound like a snow day for the kids tomorrow.

I will be busy digging out tomorrow too.

Tough call, I had to go up to the top of the driveway some four times as I keep getting plowed back in with the drive by plows. Not much to do.

BobTheBuilder
02-10-2010, 17:20
But I plan to attend several Mardi Gras parades and imbibe significantly, as the alcohol distributors in New Orleans are not in danger of running out.

Sorry for your snow, but you are welcome to join us in our annual escape from sobrietary any time you want.

Furlough
02-10-2010, 19:10
Shovel Snow. Recover. Shovel more snow.

Powder River
02-10-2010, 19:34
The average intelligence for Baltimore grads just dropped by 10 points for the next 4 years.:rolleyes:

What Baltimore grads?

Patrickjd9
02-10-2010, 19:39
Sawing up logs to stove length in case the power fails again.

Pacific Tortuga
02-10-2010, 19:41
Headin' to Mammoth Mtn. and go skiing. We just got dumped on again last night. Nothing but clear sky's ahead, in the 70's.
You should get some of our last storm this week, enjoy.

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2010, 20:51
We just lost power, fired up the wood stove, broke out the propane stove and old fashioned lanterns..... two hours of screwing around.....

ATsawyer
02-10-2010, 21:34
I have been filing a crosscut saw in preparation for the inevitable thaw. I would expect a higher number of blowdowns in Shenandoah (where I volunteer) since there has been little to no access to the Park for trail overseers this winter.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7963&stc=1&d=1265851361

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 21:51
Stopped snowing here for a while but has started again. There's an enormous John Deer tractor with a humungous plow on the front screwing around on High Street, managing to plow in all of the shoveling everyone's done without actually clearing the road.

Wind is picking up. I'm expecting the power to go out shortly.

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2010, 22:14
No power, I had to go up to the gas station, Highways are down to one lane and intersections have high boulders of snow in them, even if the highway is straight the plows are leaving a snaky one lane all over the place here. Roof collapses, power outages, houses getting frozen pipes.... going to make a fun morning.

Glad I have a 5k generator!

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 22:15
I'm surprized we haven't lost power. This wind is non stop.

Hoop Time
02-10-2010, 22:41
I spent the day cruising around the Harrisburg area covering the storm for the paper. In the afternoon I had to go to Carlisle to talk to travelers stranded by the closing of Interstate 81. The trucks forced off the highway were more than the many truck stops there could handle, and they turned US Route 11 into a parking lot, pretty much from the Pa. Turnpike in the west to around where the AT crosses to the east.

To avoid the jam-up, and to enjoy he drive back, I took a detour through the country, coming in Wertzville Road to just pass where the AT underpass goes through, then followed some smaller roads that roughly mirror the AT down to Bernheisel Bridge Road, stopping at the Scott Farm to snap a photo. It sure looked pretty, but I am glad I wasn't on foot.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/2/3/4/scottfarm021010_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39423&c=557)

Wise Old Owl
02-10-2010, 22:43
13-14 inches here just this afternoon... Although I have dug my wife's Subaru out three times - I haven't made it to my car... We spent $40 on raising a 50 foot snow drift fence to keep the driveway clear. We used bar bells to keep it weighted down and ropes between trees to keep it from sailing away.

Hoop Time
02-10-2010, 22:47
For those in PA/MD:

Here is a look at the closed I-81 from the AT crossing on Berheisel Bridge ROad.http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs239.snc3/22649_1339278728213_1418498518_1010147_4510829_n.j pg

sasquatch2014
02-10-2010, 23:07
depending on how the snow settles over the next week or so I may have to re-think my plans to hike into the Warmer. Don't feel like post holing for three days.

ki0eh
02-11-2010, 00:05
and they turned US Route 11 into a parking lot, pretty much from the Pa. Turnpike in the west to around where the AT crosses to the east.

How is that different from normal on the Migraine Mile of Middlesex? :D

(Oh, right, no car show in February...)

Any pictures of the piles of snow supposedly piled on onramps to keep folks off the interstate?

Hoop Time
02-11-2010, 07:30
How is that different from normal on the Migraine Mile of Middlesex? :D

(Oh, right, no car show in February...)

Any pictures of the piles of snow supposedly piled on onramps to keep folks off the interstate?

This was far worse. Trucks could nit get into the parking lots of the truck stops because they were filled to the brim. Usually in bad traffic you can get through there in 10-15 minutes. Yesterday traffic was not moving at all.

I didn't see those, but then I couldn't get anywhere near the on ramps in Middlesex, thus my back roads detour/adventure. I do have this one of Berheisel Bridge Road, where the AT crosses I-81. I promise you, the road and the trail is there, though this gives a new meaning to the term "white blaze"http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs163.snc3/19049_1339618696712_1418498518_1011119_5303580_n.j pg

Jeff
02-11-2010, 07:48
Nice photos Hoop.

ki0eh
02-11-2010, 09:29
I promise you, the road and the trail is there, though this gives a new meaning to the term "white blaze"

Must be time to switch to orange blazed trails (http://get.chattablogs.com/archives/2008/01/brrr.html) !

cowboy nichols
02-11-2010, 10:19
Must be time to switch to orange blazed trails (http://get.chattablogs.com/archives/2008/01/brrr.html) !
Don't know about switching Tallahassee weather said to watch for snow flurries and we were under 30 this morning HA HA :eek:

Rocket Jones
02-11-2010, 12:17
According to local weathermen, D.C. has had more snow this year than Chicago, Boston, Bangor, Minneapolis, Detroit, Fargo, Buffalo, and... this just in: Honolulu.

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 13:04
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/exxonroof.jpg

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 13:16
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/exxonroof.jpg

So no gas but do they still have Red Bull?