PDA

View Full Version : External or Internal packs?

wussup21
09-22-2004, 13:22
I have been leaning toward a kelty trekker external pack? Any suggestions why or why not to use an external pack? Why or why not to use an internal pack?

Smee
09-22-2004, 14:01
You left out a category - No Frame. Get your load under 25 lbs and use a pack without a frame.

It really depends on what you're carrying and personnal preference.

Blue Jay
09-22-2004, 14:05
I like externals because the air flow around my back. I hate something against my back soaking up the sweat. I also like the suspension of my old K2 longbed, I can actually run with it on. I realize I am in an extreme minority group. A poll on this site recently showed there are very few of us left. Internals are lighter so most people go with them.

kncats
09-22-2004, 15:25
Well, one reason not to use the Kelty in particular is that it weighs 5 pounds, 10 ounces and has almost 4000 cubic inches of space on the inside. And your sleeping bag doesn't need to go inside taking up room. That's more weight and more room than you really need. That being said, I like the external frame packs that I have. Old back problems make it much more comfortable carrying then pack when all of the weight can be put on your hips. They each weigh 4 pounds, have pockets on the outside (that I REALLY like having), one is about 3400 ci and the other 3100 ci. The larger one is an old Coleman Peak 1 that works great, but the hipbelt is completely worn out.

chris
09-22-2004, 15:25
External, internal, or frameless will all work on the AT. If you are trying to minimize weight, go with a frameless pack (assuming you have switched all your other gear to lightweight stuff). If you want to carry a big load and look like a mountaineer, get a big internal frame pack from Dana or Gregory. External frame packs will generally be a bit more comfortable, particularly on some of the super-highway like stretches of the AT. Personally, if I didn't have a nice frameless pack, and I had no internal packs, I would buy an external for something like the AT.

Peaks
09-22-2004, 16:10
I have been leaning toward a kelty trekker external pack? Any suggestions why or why not to use an external pack? Why or why not to use an internal pack?

First, you see all types of gear being used by long distance hikers. You see external frame packs, internal frame packs, frameless packs, etc.

The first thing for you is to figure out how much pack you need. Some go very light, and hence do not need a frame pack. Others like myself carry considerably more. So, we need a frame pack.

There are several good packs on the market, and a wide range in price also.

Your second step should be to figure out what size pack you need. So, take all your gear to an outfitter and load up several packs and see how they feel. What matters is what fits you with your gear, not what fits others with their gear.

Now, assuming that Kelty Trekker is one of the packs that fits you and your gear, decide if the weight differential (assuming it's more) justifies the price of around $100.

Most backpacks made by the major manufacturers these days are internal frame. Very few still make an external frame pack. It's probably because that's what sells, not necessarily what's the best pack.

Finally, for what it's worth, I used a Kelty Trekker for my thru-hike, and was satisfied with it. I recently bought a Gregory Forester. It's about 5 ounces lighter than the Kelty. I have used it some, but not for a multi-day trip yet. I'm still not sold that it is significantly more comfortable than my Trekker.

Lilred
09-22-2004, 18:39

I have a Kelty Trekker 3900 external pack and I love it. It's not too big, actually, it's just about the right size. Like Blue Jay, I like the air flow it gives me. I'll do most of my hiking in the summer and that's why I bought the external. I found that Bass Pro Outfitters had the best price around here for this pack. Campmor.com had it on sale for a long time too. Last time I looked, it wasn't there.

neo
09-22-2004, 21:01
my favorite pack weighs less than 10 oz,made by fanatic fringe,i bought mine from antigravity gear.its simular in size and design as the golite breeze but lighter,but all my gear is ultra light,it works for me lol:clap :banana :jump :bse :D :dance

blindeye
10-01-2004, 15:53
i too am looking for a good pack i bumped into a different type of pack that i think is probably the way i'll go it's called luxurylite. check'em out

The Eleven
10-04-2004, 14:55
I use an external myself also for the breathability airflow and also I actually found a very light pack Trailblazer II from Campmoore. I believe weighs 3.4 lbs and has 3800 cu's of space + hanging spots and side entrance zippers so I can pull out gear from the middle without taking everything on top out first. Works well for me. With food/water, can go 5-6 days on AT. I found internals to be a real pain in the ass! Anycase, that's my 2 cents. Happy Trails! Steve (Little Bear 2) in CT

Streamweaver
10-04-2004, 16:42
I use an external myself also for the breathability airflow and also I actually found a very light pack Trailblazer II from Campmoore. I believe weighs 3.4 lbs and has 3800 cu's of space + hanging spots and side entrance zippers so I can pull out gear from the middle without taking everything on top out first. Works well for me. With food/water, can go 5-6 days on AT. I found internals to be a real pain in the ass! Anycase, that's my 2 cents. Happy Trails! Steve (Little Bear 2) in CT

Do you have a link to this Trailblazer II pack?? I couldnt find it on Campmors site.Thanks. Streamweaver

Stuart Johnson
10-04-2004, 17:08
For quite a few years, I used an internal frame pack. However, a couple of years ago, after developing some lower back problems, I bought a Kelty Trekker from Campmor for $100. It does an outstanding job of transferring the pack weight to my hips and I like the air circulation around my back. To lighten it up a bit, I did the following: removed the metal frame extension, removed the metal spreader bar that held the pack open, removed some useless metal pieces from the hip belt buckle, cut off excess webbing and straps, removed the divider panel between upper and lower sections, and removed the internal hydration sleeve. I've put a lot of miles on this pack and have been extremely satisfied.

The Eleven
10-11-2004, 13:37
Sorry, I don't know of a link, but if you call Campmore up, they can tell you over the phone and/or send you a free catalog. I purchased the Trailblazer 5 years ago.....supposedly on sale, discontinued model? Not sure....may have something very similar. Also, good idea about removing metal parts from the externals, didn't know I could do that....lighten the load. Will have to do it since my back problems have increased and after my disc injections, lighter the load, the better. Already have been able to get equipment down to around 20 lbs. by combining light weight gear with minimalist packing techniques. Happy Trails! Steve (Little Bear 2) in CT

No Pepsi
10-11-2004, 16:21
I've got 3000 miles on the AT with a external pack. But, I'm now a convert to internal. It just fits better and is easier to move.

cshir003
10-13-2004, 09:48
wow, you guys are awesome!!! I thought that the days of the external frame packer were donesky. Just goes to show you how much marketing can effect your judgment. I use an external frame (Jansport Mt. Ranier, the price was right) and love it. I'm with everyone else on the air circulation, but I also like the frame to tie things down to. makes it a bit easier to carry a lightweight fishing rod on trails that call for it. Don't listen to the media, try stuff out and decide which is more comfortable for you, that's what really matter isn't it?

Phorestfreak
12-07-2004, 08:38
I'm with cshir003 on this one. I thought externals were dead considering mine was the only one i have seen on a trail or in store in quite some time. As for choosing between In and Ext try them both out it is all about fit and feel on your body. If you go to a store and dont have any externals go to another from what i hear they are out there. I have had my External, made by a now defunct company "High Adventure" (always like that name),for ten years and it is the only pack i have ever hiked with. Externals are totally custumizable and easy to pack instead of throwing all you **** in one giant pocket and trying to get it to sit right. Straps and belts are easy to replace and tweak. The option are only limited by your imagination and creativity. I Fear the day i have to replace my Ext.

Youngblood
12-07-2004, 09:10
... I have had my External, made by a now defunct company "High Adventure" (always like that name),for ten years and it is the only pack i have ever hiked with.... .

Let's see, you've been using the same pack since you were 12 years old? That's great! You must have great attachments to it. If it ever gets replaced, heaven forbid, do you think you will go through a mourning process?

Youngblood

Jaybird
12-07-2004, 10:40
i've hiked with an EXTERNAL pack....for me...it was "clunky", too heavy, creaked too much for me (got on my nerves)....i switched to an internal pack in 2000....never looking back!

good luck with your hike....internal or external pack!
it's whatever works for YOU! :D

Phorestfreak
12-07-2004, 12:02
Let's see, you've been using the same pack since you were 12 years old? That's great! You must have great attachments to it. If it ever gets replaced, heaven forbid, do you think you will go through a mourning process?

Youngblood

You Know it Youngblood. Proper funeral services will be order followed by some down time to reflect and mourn. Then i will play the pack field again