PDA

View Full Version : SnowPeak vrs. Evernew?

Dainon
09-22-2004, 13:56
For all those with more experience than me, which means 99.99% of you, I have a question regarding any substantive difference between Snowpeak and Evernew titanium pots. I'm looking on REI, and I see a:
1.3L Evernew pot for $39.95 http://www.rei.com/product/6188524.htm?

versus

a 3-piece titanium set by SnowPeak for $34.95 http://www.rei.com/product/4884578.htm?

Other supply sites have roughly comparable prices. Unless there is a huge difference in quality, it certainly seems that the SnowPeak is the way to go. Am I missing the obvious?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

orangebug
09-22-2004, 14:45
I bought a different Snowpeak pot set - threw away the fitting cutting board, but found the silverware, pot, fry pan/top far too heavy and thick for the money. Your kit at REI weighs over 7 oz. Do you really need the weight?

The Evernew 1.3 L pot is still 4 oz for $40 and shipping. Have you brought some scales to compare aluminum pots or even the ubiquitous Wal Mart grease pot?

I carry a grease pot, a Snowpeak sierra cup & spoon (the only thing used from that first kit) and find the stove and small canister fits in the pot. I have been through the Ti fad, and I'm not impressed with what is out there for the current price. I couldn't _give_ my Snowpeak kit away at the SORUCK this year!

Bill...

Dainon
09-22-2004, 15:18
To clarify, if I were to buy the Snowpeak set, I would only take one pot with me, not the entire set. If I read correctly, there is 0.05oz diff. between the Snowpeak and Evernew pots of the same size (I'm assuming the handles on the Snowpeak account for that difference)

chris
09-22-2004, 15:30
I use an like an Evernew 1.3 pot I have used it roughly 175 times for cooking (PCT+GDT+AT sections+weekend trips, etc) and like it quite a bit. Don't get the one with non-stick coating. Most stuff doesn't stick, but when it does you want to be able to clean the pot with rocks. Durability isn't an issue. You could buy a Greasepot a year for a while for the cost of the Evernew. But, the Evernew is much sexier. And it has handles (the rubber doesn't seem to burn off, as mine is still there).

One thing to consider is capacity: The 1.3 L pot is just big enough for 2 ramens, or 2 Liptons, or 2 couscous, etc. The SnowPeak is not, I believe.

bulldog
09-22-2004, 21:10
im kind of partial to my cheap wal-mart grease pot.

Jeremy
09-23-2004, 00:31
Definately stay away from the evernew w/ the non-stick coating. The evernew w/out the non-stick is a good choice. Another good pot to look at is the snow peak trek 700 ti. It is taller and narrower than the evernew, so it would be more stable w/ small alcohol stoves, also it has a built in drain hole to drain pasta or rice. It is also big enough to hold enough food for one. The price for it is only 29.95, so it is cheaper than the evernew.

Youngblood
09-23-2004, 08:45
Definately stay away from the evernew w/ the non-stick coating. The evernew w/out the non-stick is a good choice. Another good pot to look at is the snow peak trek 700 ti. It is taller and narrower than the evernew, so it would be more stable w/ small alcohol stoves, also it has a built in drain hole to drain pasta or rice. It is also big enough to hold enough food for one. The price for it is only 29.95, so it is cheaper than the evernew.

What is the problem with the Evernew with non-stick coating? I am interesting because I probably have over 4000 trail miles on mine and would like to know what my problem is? :)

Youngblood

Ramble~On
09-25-2004, 04:39
I don't have any experience with the non-stick...But, I've had a 1.3 Evernew for a long time and love it.

cshir003
10-13-2004, 10:13
what exactly is this grease pot that you speak of. The cheap part is what sparks my interest, but what are the specs? (weight, size, etc.)

walkin' wally
10-13-2004, 10:30
A grease pot is a pot or container that is used to store grease. It has a strainer You can find one in Walmart where the merchandise for stoves is found. It has a lip that is rolled to the inside of the bowl. Some people say this is a cleaning issue. I don't have one so I don't know about that. They do come with a cover and strainer.
They are quite lightweight and slightly rounded on the bottom edges.The price in the store was just under $5.00

Edited ( corrected) at 3:25 pm 10-13-04 W.W.

Hellbilly
10-13-2004, 10:39
Weights: pot 2.5oz (71g)
complete lid 1.5oz (42g)
knob and screw 0.2oz (6g)
strainer 1.1oz (32g)
Volume: 5 cups (43oz or 1.2 L) with strainer removed
Price:US$5-US$7
Dimensions: 5 5/8” (155 mm) in diameter
3” (88 mm) high
4 1/8" (115mm) high with lid and knob

Dances with Mice
10-13-2004, 11:03
It's a small cannister that is designed to store waste food grease, like bacon grease. Holds 5 cups, has a tight fitting lid, no handle, costs about $5. Find them in the kitchen gizmo area of W-M, near stuff like manual can openers. Here's a review:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cook%20Sets/Walmart_Grease_Saver/Owners%20Review%20-%20Christine%20Korhonen/

Tabasco
10-13-2004, 12:33
Hey Dainon:

Go to Phillip Galls on New Circle Road by Woodhill. They carry the Snowpeak line, the Trek 700 kettle is a great little pot.

Jaybird
10-13-2004, 14:13
[QUOTE=Dainon]For all those with more experience than me, which means 99.99% of you, I have a question regarding any substantive difference between Snowpeak and Evernew titanium pots. I'm looking on REI, and I see a:1.3L Evernew pot for $39.95 http://www.rei.com/product/6188524.htm?
versus
a 3-piece titanium set by SnowPeak for $34.95 http://www.rei.com/product/4884578.htm?

i like my SNOWPEAK 900 ....just shy of a liter (.9ltr) with a top & tall enuff to put my isopro fuel cannister & MSR Pocket Rocket in there along with matches, & a small bag of instant coffee! :D
good luck with yer hike!