PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Test - Winter Storm

Raul Perez
02-10-2010, 09:34
Snuck out around 10pm into the woods behind my apartment complex. Had to set up in the dark but the light from the porches was enough to help me see what I was doing.

Staked the WB Superfly really low to limit the air flow comming in and made the doors tight and closed the best I could to limit the snow comming in.

Snow started about 1130pm but it was very light. Heard the snow flakes hitting against the tarp and it was soothing.

The temps stayed between 32-34 degrees all night. I woke up periodically to change positions and looked at the thermometer on my watch to check the temps.

At that temp the winter yeti (for me) and the Winter Mamba were really toasty. I just wore my fleece jacket and montbell thermawaps to bed. Also used my down socks with the wool socks. I was toasty as could be.

The gossamer gear 1/4 inch pad folded in half worked as it did in the 11* weather so I wasnt worried at these temps.

Woke up at 3am and deployed my knife as I thought people were walking around my tarp but it was just the snow accumulation shedding off the tarp. Scared the crap out of me!

I really should go to bed in winter conditions with a full belly. I woke up around 4am starving so I had a granola bar and sucked down some gatoraid I brought with me.

The tarp started to sag around 3am and when I called it quits at 530am it was really caved in to the point it was about 5 inches away from me.

Had a bunch of moisture inside the tarp and on top of the Mamba from breathing. Instead of being iced over it was moist at that temperature.

The snow sliding down the tarp collected at the bottom around 3am and closed most of the air gaps at the bottom of the tarp. That drove up the temperature in the tarp.

Packing up the hammock, mamba and yeti was quite simple. However the Superfly was drenched in snow and had to lay it out in the livingroom to dry out. Good thing about the superfly it only take about 20-30 minutes to dry.

The mamba neck snap as I expected came undone a number of times last night. Since I'm taking most of the day off maybe I'll start putting that ribbon on the neck area to avoid this going forward.

here's the video.... some shots were in the dark and I did what I could to bring light to certain areas to make it easier to see.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdFsEoyChPo

MyName1sMud
02-18-2010, 12:43
Looks pretty nice!

Great review on the YT video by the way!

Thanks for sharing