PDA

View Full Version : Thru hikers being tested by winter weather

Smoky in TN
02-10-2010, 11:36
Northbound thru hikers are earning their Ramen today. Winter storm warning in the Smokies, 20 degrees, snowing, winds gusting to 22mph.
I think it will be in the single digits tonight. This is the kind of weather that will test your dedication. I wonder how many people have already quit this year, due to the weather?

Spirit Walker
02-10-2010, 11:44
If you head out in January or February, you have to expect this kind of weather. We'll get it in March too. There's a reason the traditional starting date was April 1. Even starting then, snow and ice are a normal part of your hike. We got a blizzard in May.

If you do your research and know what to expect, and get the gear that's appropriate, there's no reason to go home. OTOH, if you didn't do your research and didn't have a clue what it's like to backpack in the winter - then you should go home. You're a danger to yourself.

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 13:16
We had two hikers leave this morning, 11 deg 40 MPH gusts.

Two Speed
02-10-2010, 13:18
Eh, if they're smart about where they camp and have the right clothes, sleeping bag, etc they'll be OK. If not they'll be back.

It's all good.

veteran
02-10-2010, 14:00
Northbound thru hikers are earning their Ramen today. Winter storm warning in the Smokies, 20 degrees, snowing, winds gusting to 22mph.
I think it will be in the single digits tonight. This is the kind of weather that will test your dedication. I wonder how many people have already quit this year, due to the weather?

It has been updated to a Blizzard Warning

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NCZ058&warncounty=NCC075&firewxzone=NCZ058&local_place1=Fontana+Village+NC&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

jesse
02-10-2010, 14:11
You mean it actually snows in the South?

whistle dixie
02-10-2010, 14:16
at this point nothing is going to stop me from starting on the 21st. i will tie 2 tennis racketts on my feet if i have to.

Powder River
02-10-2010, 15:20
at this point nothing is going to stop me from starting on the 21st. i will tie 2 tennis racketts on my feet if i have to.

Just be sure they are warm tennis rackets. :D

double d
02-10-2010, 15:40
Ouch! Hang tough Thru-hikers, you've got my respect!

Reid
02-10-2010, 15:46
Ouch! Hang tough Thru-hikers, you've got my respect!

yea really

ChinMusic
02-10-2010, 15:50
Sounds like a day or two of clean sheets and buffets are in order. I love being out in the snow, but a blizzard?, nah.

SurferNerd
02-10-2010, 15:51

I threatened the same thing earlier to my parents. I'm leaving Feb28, and all they keep saying is "Snow, Cold, Snow, OMG, Your Crazy"

whistle dixie
02-10-2010, 16:06
i figure the solitude will have more comfertable in a shelter thats empty rather than full. but this has always been a goal. so i feel the first hundred miles i will deal with the cold just to have a better trip,i figure this would be the closest i could feel like when the older ones felt when they did a thru hike back in the 60's and 70's. my dad only did one part back in those days and he said he didn't see a soul until he come off the trail.

Six-Six
02-10-2010, 16:27

Are those UL rackets?

4shot
02-10-2010, 16:30
If you head out in January or February, you have to expect this kind of weather. We'll get it in March too. There's a reason the traditional starting date was April 1. Even starting then, snow and ice are a normal part of your hike. We got a blizzard in May.

If you do your research and know what to expect, and get the gear that's appropriate, there's no reason to go home. OTOH, if you didn't do your research and didn't have a clue what it's like to backpack in the winter - then you should go home. You're a danger to yourself.

I trust my gear and have done some shakedown hikes in DEcember and January in the kind of weather that I might expect to see on the early part of the trail. What would (or will) be tough for me if it stays like it has been - relentless cold/snow without a break. Granted, maybe this winter has normal for someone from a more northern part of the country but its been years since I've seen it like this around here.

The Solemates
02-10-2010, 16:40
We had two hikers leave this morning, 11 deg 40 MPH gusts.

that's it? they still got at least 11 degrees to go before it actually gets cold.