PDA

View Full Version : Need sleeping bag help Quickly

Brian321
02-10-2010, 12:36
I am looking for my first sleeping bag for hiking and i need some suggestions, I am looking for a decent quality, 30D or less, 3S sleeping bag that weighs 3lbs or less for around $100. I want to order this before noon today. I dont know what brands are good so i need suggestions. Thanks.

Brian321
02-10-2010, 12:40
I found this one any opinions? Also i still need suggestions. Thanks.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43130

AggieAl
02-10-2010, 12:49
You could try this at rei: http://www.rei.com/product/778926

It is a little heavier than what you are looking for. Sleeping bags are really important so you may want to spend more time researching this issue. A good bag will last a long time.

Good luck.

AggieAl
02-10-2010, 12:51
The Kelty does look like a good buy. You can use the search function on WB to learn more about sleeping bags.

Hooch
02-10-2010, 13:00
Don't rush a sleeping bag decision or purchase. It's a piece of gear that you'll depend on and will last you for quite a while if you make a good, well informed decision. Making a rush decision on this will probably yield negative results and/or a bad experience.

Hooch
02-10-2010, 13:06
Campmor makes a good 20 degree down sleeping bag (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065) for a little more than $100. A few folks on here use them and have given them good reviews.

leaftye
02-10-2010, 13:09
If you can swing another $50, I've heard good things about Campmor brand down sleeping bags. That will save you about half a pound and give you more room in your backpack...or better yet, you can compress it less and have a bag that will lose less loft on the trail.

kanga
02-10-2010, 13:10
If you can swing another $50, I've heard good things about Campmor brand down sleeping bags. That will save you about half a pound and give you more room in your backpack...or better yet, you can compress it less and have a bag that will lose less loft on the trail.
op said it's his first bag for hiking. probably shouldn't go with down to begin with until he get's the feel of a wet bag behind him.

Snowleopard
02-10-2010, 13:20
Don't forget, you need insulation under you also. At a minimum, get a blue foam pad like:http://www.rei.com/product/374053
Walmart used to have them for $6. Don't get an air mattress has no insulation (thermarest type OK but more $$).

The Kelty will probably be OK at 30degrees, the Marmot at REI is a better bag but heavier.

verber
02-10-2010, 13:33
I am not completely sure what "30D or less, 3S sleeping bag" means. 30D I think is 30F, but what's 3S? Generally I would recommend a down bag... campmor and the Kelty lightyear line are good values but know with sleeping bags. If you wnat synthetic, I doubt you will find a better value that the kelty bag you posted a link to. The only question I would ask is if the bag will be a good fit size wise.

I will note that everyone I know who regularly backpacks replaced their cheaper sleeping bag with a high quality bag from companies like western mountaineering, feathered friends, etc. They are much more expensive, but more than any other item, you get what you pay for when it comes to sleeping bags. I have yet to meet someone who was unhappy with their WM bag. A good down bag can last 15+ years where you are lucky to get 5 years from a synthetic before the insulation breaks down.

--mark

toenail
02-10-2010, 13:45
The campmor 20 degree down is good, solid value. You can also find good bags on ebay.

skinewmexico
02-10-2010, 14:26
http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html I've had great luck with some underfilled versions of these.

hikingtime
02-10-2010, 14:33
I would look at Kelty, Sierra Designs and Lafuma. WM and Feathered friends are nowhere near $100! Here is an excellent down bag at a good price ($109.85), that weighs 2 pounds 5 oz. It has a 35 degree rating, 5 degrees worse that what you asked for, but you could sleep in you clothes and be fine.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1546F_Sierra-Designs-35-F-Tomichi-Sleeping-Bag-600-Fill-Power-Down-Mummy.html

Brian321
02-10-2010, 14:52
Thank you guys for the help. I went ahead and ordered the campmor 20 degree down bag, It looked pretty good to me. Thanks everyone.

skinewmexico
02-10-2010, 22:58
You'll be pleased, I bet. Just keep it dry. Not that hard to do.

leaftye
02-10-2010, 23:07
I think you made a good choice. That bag is probably what I would've bought if I was going to stick with sleeping bags.

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 23:14
You done good.

slow
02-10-2010, 23:34
CK post 10....nuff said.

flemdawg1
02-11-2010, 11:56
http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html I've had great luck with some underfilled versions of these.

Nice looking bag there. Is the 2lb 15oz bags the same temp rated as the 2lb bags, or are they actually warmer? How would you say they compare to the similar Golite model (Adrenalin?)?

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 12:13
I am sure quite a few of us have started with an inexspensive microloft bag, but it is important to store it right when not in use. Do not keep it in the stuff sack for a long period of time. I am with Hooch on this, you kind of rushed it. When it comes to your big four put some more time into the decision and go try the bags on in the store. Don't be embarrassed to get someone in the store to help you. Do a search here on WB.

My first Slumberjack proved to be a big mistake later on.

kanga
02-11-2010, 13:54
guys, seriously? quit telling him not to rush it. he obviously is going out SOON and needs a bag. why spend money on crap when you can go ahead and get a good one the first time out. there is enough experience already taken in by the members of this forum, that he CAN rush and get a good bag fast with good advice.

Brian321
02-11-2010, 13:59
guys, seriously? quit telling him not to rush it. he obviously is going out SOON and needs a bag. why spend money on crap when you can go ahead and get a good one the first time out. there is enough experience already taken in by the members of this forum, that he CAN rush and get a good bag fast with good advice.
Thanks you, And also so everyone knows i have been looking at bags for about 3 weeks or so and the one i picked was sold out so i had to pick a different one and wanted a good one.

Toolshed
02-11-2010, 14:17
Thanks you, And also so everyone knows i have been looking at bags for about 3 weeks or so and the one i picked was sold out so i had to pick a different one and wanted a good one.

Yes, He has been looking and considering bags for a bit now... I think he made a great choice!!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58251

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 14:26
I went by the fact that this thread was started yesterday as I am sure others had picked up on.

2nd He is a new registered user, some thought was put into the post, even if it is in error.

No harm done.

leaftye
02-11-2010, 14:38

Economic stimulus? Trick him into getting an $80 synthetic bag that he'll regret so he'll be forced to by the $120 bag he should've bought in the first place. Sometimes spending less is spending more.

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 15:12
Careful Leaftye, one cannot afford a political thread swerve here....

So how's that Hope & Change working for you now?

Mags
02-11-2010, 15:34
The Campmor 20F bag is a decent-to-good budget bag. You'll do fine.

The only additional advice I can give is that most stuff sacks that
come with sleeping bags compress the bag too much.

Buy yourself a good sized silnylon stuff sack (most outfitters sell these today; no need to order online).

Not only will the bag not be compressed too much (very bad if hiking for most of the day for 6 mos) but it will allow you to fit the bag better in your pack. Previous threads compared a very compressed sleeping bag to a bowling ball in your pack. Good analogy.

Line the stuff sack with a garbage bag for added protection.

Have fun!

(Finally got rid of my first "real" sleeping bag: A 20F holloill 2 sleeping bag from Campmor! Man..that thing was a bulky, heavy beast. :O)

leaftye
02-11-2010, 16:15
Mag brings up one of the main reasons I moved to down. I needed to reclaim room in my backpack.

Hooch
02-13-2010, 09:18
My first Slumberjack proved to be a big mistake later on.x2. First bag I bought when I started backpacking was a Slumberjack and it was a huge mistake! But I bought it on a shoestring budget and did almost no research.

trailangelbronco
02-13-2010, 13:11
I carried a 4 lb coleman sleeping bag across the 100 mile wilderness in 1984. With an aluminum frame pack, no less. Back then, 35 lbs was a light pack.