PDA

View Full Version : SOBO apparel

checkout
02-10-2010, 12:58
I plan to start SOBO in mid June and am seeking advice on the must haves of apparel especially for those first two months. Gloves, no gloves, etc...Ive found loads of lists on NOBO's, but havent been able to put the pieces together for a SOBO. There are a lot of clothes on sale and clearance these days and Ill take any advice I can get so I can get to purchasing. :confused:

Reid
02-10-2010, 13:16
Your kidding me right? Jonesville? I live in Union.

Reid
02-10-2010, 13:17
Possibly another jonesville I guess

Johnny Swank
02-10-2010, 13:22
You'll want to take a fleece hat if nothing else, and maybe a pair of light fleece or liner gloves depending on how cold your hands get. I wore my tobaggon several times in July and August when I did my SOBO.

Pretty much just carry what you'd carry in either spring or fall in the southern appalachians, along with proper rain gear at least through the Whites.

garlic08
02-10-2010, 13:30
I finished my NOBO in mid-July. I experienced no cold weather at all in New England, just a lot of wet. My 45F bag was plenty warm. Be ready for mud. A mosquito head net and long sleeve shirt and trousers might be a good idea, since you'll probably see the flies. Light glove liners, a light hat, and a couple of light thermal layers with good rain gear should do well. Clean socks, rinsed on the trail, was important for me.

checkout
02-10-2010, 14:30
Your kidding me right? Jonesville? I live in Union.

No not kidding.... I live in Jonesville in Union County... small world.

Wrangler88
02-10-2010, 14:31
Mosquito Head Net! Mosquito Head Net! Mosquito Head Net!

Also, I left the first of July and I never got cold while hiking in shorts and a t shirt. The only other thing I ever wore while actually hiking was my poncho when it was raining. Other than that I'd throw a wind shirt on on my breaks. And when I'd get to camp I'd put on thermal tops and bottoms.

Oh, and don't forget the head net. At least through the 100 Miles.

checkout
02-10-2010, 15:02
Mosquito Head Net! Mosquito Head Net! Mosquito Head Net!

Didnt realize Mosquito Head Nets came in so many colors. Black, brown, olive... Does anyone have an opinion if one color is better to see thru than the other?

jnetx
02-10-2010, 15:04
Didnt realize Mosquito Head Nets came in so many colors. Black, brown, olive... Does anyone have an opinion if one color is better to see thru than the other?

Darker is better IMO, I used a lighter color one for a while and it reflected light making it harder to see out.

Wrangler88
02-10-2010, 19:00

I used one that was green and camo that I got at walmart for only a couple of bucks. It worked fine. Others had some that were a little nicer. But I wasn't upset when I left mine at a shelter on accident. Just had to use a lot more deet.

singing wind
02-11-2010, 01:00
Hi checkout,

Maine can bring anything - think about the possibility of walking the day in cold rain and high winds and then being on an exposed ridge in those conditions. While it's nice to keep the weight as light as possible, it's nice to be safe and warm as possible.

The shelter entries from last June and July in the 100 mile wilderness talked alot about bugs, rain, walking days on end in muddy (sometimes up to your shins) trail, high water/edgy stream and river crossings, and in the first week of August there were a couple cold nights. I often wore my hat, sometimes gloves and longjohns were a staple.

Say, good luck with your hike. Maine is awesome.