PDA

View Full Version : internships, volunteers, and jobs oh my...

brack
09-22-2004, 14:15
hello there i am a soon to be graduate at the university of georgia. my last round of class credit is composed of an "internship" with any organization that i decide to work with. my degree will be in recreation and leisure studies with an emphasis on recreation resource management. these are all fancy words to say that i love being in the great outdoors and i have a huge passion for backpacking. my question to all of you here at whiteblaze is do you know of any "internships" that might be available along the trail during the hiking season of the at? i would love to be involved someway with maybe doing ridgerunning or anything that might be of assistance to thru hikers or the actual trail itself. i realize that the peak season for different parts of the trail is different with nobos and sobos and what not, so also if you live close to the trail and could tell me the busiest parts of the year when thru hikers are coming out of the woodwork in your respective areas. thanks for your time...

brack

MOWGLI
09-22-2004, 14:39
hello there i am a soon to be graduate at the university of georgia. my last round of class credit is composed of an "internship" with any organization that i decide to work with. my degree will be in recreation and leisure studies with an emphasis on recreation resource management. these are all fancy words to say that i love being in the great outdoors and i have a huge passion for backpacking. my question to all of you here at whiteblaze is do you know of any "internships" that might be available along the trail during the hiking season of the at? i would love to be involved someway with maybe doing ridgerunning or anything that might be of assistance to thru hikers or the actual trail itself. i realize that the peak season for different parts of the trail is different with nobos and sobos and what not, so also if you live close to the trail and could tell me the busiest parts of the year when thru hikers are coming out of the woodwork in your respective areas. thanks for your time...

brack

Brack:

I am looking for an intern for the Spring in Chattanooga. It doesn't involve a whole lot of hiking, but I can get you out on the trail prehaps 1x/weekly. Here's a description of the position;

Chattanooga, Tennessee Office
GRASSROOTS ORGANIZING
Activities include research, writing, and outreach related to the Southern Appalachians Initiative, which is a joint project of American Hiking Society and the National Park Service’s Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance (RTCA) program. This will involve interacting with member groups of the Southeastern Foot Trails Coalition. Candidates should have excellent communication and organizational skills. The primary responsibility for the spring ’05 internship will be helping to organize the 2005 Southeastern Foot Trails Coalition Conference that will take place at Table Rock State Park in Pickens, S.C. April 28 – May 1, 2005. Applicants should be available to travel to S.C. (from Chattanooga) for the conference. All travel, lodging & meal expenses for the conference will be covered.

GENERAL INFORMATION
Interns work out of American Hiking Society's office in Chattanooga, Tennessee. This office is a National Park Service’s RTCA Field Office. Interns will have an opportunity to interact with NPS employees, and participate in NPS project work on an as-needed basis. Interns will receive a $500 stipend and are required to work at least 320 hours total, full-time or part-time, with flexible scheduling. To apply, send a cover letter and resume via email to: [email protected]; fax: 423-266-2558; or mail to: American Hiking Society Internships, 175 Hamm Road – Suite C, Chattanooga, TN 37405.

Internships run approximately during the following months, with the application deadlines in bold:

Winter/Spring: January 17 – May 6, 2005 (start date is negotiable)
Applications must be received by December 3, 2004

For more information about the program, please visit http://www.americanhiking.org/alliance/sai.html

Peaks
09-22-2004, 16:14
The ATC hires seasonal employees every year. You might contact them. Also, some of the maintaining clubs hire seasonal help as well, such as the AMC and GMC.

Bloodroot
10-08-2004, 21:30
On my college internships I worked as a seasonal naturalist. Awesome job! Usually backpacked all day. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources sponsored the program. Having said that, maybe you might wanna check with your state and see if a program like that might be offered. I know many of the other naturalists that worked with were also getting a B.S. in some form of Rereational/Leisure/Parks services program like yourself.

Good luck!

Bloodroot
10-08-2004, 21:31
On my college internships I worked as a seasonal naturalist. Awesome job! Usually backpacked all day. West Virginia Division of Natural Resources sponsored the program. Having said that, maybe you might wanna check with your state and see if a program like that might be offered. I know many of the other naturalists that worked with were also getting a B.S. in some form of Rereational/Leisure/Parks services program like yourself.

Good luck!